Chapter 15

More than the heart can carry

She played the last chord to the song, her eyes leaving the instrument in her lap and looked towards the teacher, the judge that would now decide whether she would perform or not. The teacher nodded his head, looking back and forth between Taeyeon and Narsha.

“Good job. You’ll be performing next week then.” The teacher announced.

Taeyeon’s mouth fell open in shock. She stared wide eyed at the man that rose from his seat and made his way towards the room, stopping by the door and turned back towards his two students.

“You can practice for the rest of the class if you want.” The teacher said before he made his was out of the room, leaving Taeyeon and Narsha to their own things.

“This is great!” Narsha exclaimed and shook Taeyeon’s arm. Taeyeon turne towards the girl, mustered up a smile at her and turned to the guitar in her lap.

Finally did her hard work pay off. She finally got to perform after all this time.

She let out a sigh and looked at the girl beside her. Narsha’s eyes sparkle in excitement. She just smiled by the sight and turned back to her guitar, strumming the strings a few times before she looked back at the girl.

“Let’s practice some more then.” She said. Narsha smiled and nodded her head and Taeyeon turned to the instrument, played the intro and listened to the girl as she began singing along.


---


She walked through the hallway of the school, feeling too happy about the announcement earlier that she didn’t mind the other students in the school and just walked past them without bothering about whether they look at now.

Heck, they could look all they wanted. Because Kim Taeyeon had other things to think about.

She reached the classroom where her next class would be held. Seeing a familiar brunette standing by the wall she walked up to the girl who turned towards her when she noticed her approaching. A smile graced the girl’s lips when she noticed Taeyeon, who was in an unusual good mood.

“Hi.” Taeyeon greeted and leaned against the wall beside Tiffany who looked at her with curious eyes.

“Hi.” Tiffany said and continued to eye her, probably waiting for her to tell her what the good mood was about.

“What are you doing this Friday?” Taeyeon asked with a smile she could see surprised Tiffany. The girl arched an eyebrow, her smile had been contagious and she smiled as well.

“Going to Sooyoung’s party.”  Tiffany said. The answer made Taeyeon’s smile falter and her shoulders slumped. Her joy was killed in less than a second.

“Why?” Tiffany asked when she noticed her change in mood. Taeyeon sighed and looked down on the floor, focusing her gaze on her shoes. She shrugged her shoulders and looked up at Tiffany again.

“I’m going to perform that day.” Taeyeon simply answered. Tiffany’s eyes widened, her eyebrows rose in surprise and fell open.

“Really?!” Tiffany exclaimed.

“Yes.” Taeyeon said and nodded her head.

“That’s great! Good for you. That teacher finally saw your potential.” Tiffany said and patted Taeyeon’s shoulder. The brunette sighed and slumped her shoulder. She had really expected Tiffany to be there, but she guessed it couldn’t be helped.

“I’m sorry that I can’t come. But I promised Sooyoung I’d be there.” Tiffany apologized.

Taeyeon sighed and nodded her head. “Yeah, whatever, I get it.” She said.

“I’m sure you’re going to perform some other time. I promise I’ll be there for that.” The other girl promised but Taeyeon wasn’t that convinced as she had already gotten her expectations killed once time.  

“Will Sunny come?”

Taeyeon frowned as she remembered the reply to the text message she had gotten from the girl. She realized that none of her friends would be there and she sagged even deeper against the wall.

“No.” Taeyeon answered dryly.

“Why?”

“Busy.”

“Ah. But I’m sure Jessica will be there.” Tiffany said in hope of cheering her up. The statement only made Taeyeon furrow her eyebrows and she looked at the other girl who lost her smile when she saw her expression.

“You haven’t asked?”  Tiffany asked.

“No…” Taeyeon said, not sure why she even should ask the blonde girl to begin with.

“Why not?”

“Why should I?”

“Because she would love to go! Ask her. She doesn’t bite!” Tiffany said and pushed her shoulder. Taeyeon frowned and before she could make a reply she noticed the students started to walk inside the classroom as the teacher had arrived.

She refrained from saying anything and just followed Tiffany when she began to follow their classmates, but she made a mental note that if she got the chance to she would, maybe, ask the blonde girl if she wanted to come.


---


The sound of pages in books being turned, the noise of pencils writing against papers and the constant noise of someone typing on a computer were the only things heard in the school library. It was peaceful, and Taeyeon found she could concentrate much better here rather than in the classroom where her classmates were currently chatting with each other.

Her pencil tapped against her notebook as she read from the textbook, her hand quickly moved to jot down something important she had read that she felt was worth to remember. She occasionally paused to stretch her arms and legs, and tilt her head left and right before she went back to her school work.

She was so concentrated on her assignments she didn’t take notice of people moving around. She knew people moved walked around among the bookshelves, but because she knew everyone here was focused on something she didn’t think about anyone approaching her.

A figure among the bookshelves had noticed her, and was now currently walking closer to her, carefully like a predator approaching its prey. But Taeyeon was unbeknownst to the approaching presence as her eyes was focused on the paragraph with very interesting facts she had never heard about before.

“If you watch me real carefully you might get to know me better.” The person who had stopped behind her whispered in her ear, making her jump in her seat and turn startled around to catch the familiar blonde girl who was behind her, a wide smile displayed on her lips. Taeyeon frowned upon the sight and turned away from the blonde who made her way around the table and took a seat opposite the frowning girl.

“Did I scare you?” Jessica asked with a smile. The sight made Taeyeon want to throw her pencil at the girl but she refrained from doing that and just rolled her eyes instead.

She heard Jessica laugh, but she paid the blonde no attention and focused on her school work instead. She could feel Jessica was looking at her, and she tried her best to not mind it and pretend like she didn’t notice it, or at least wasn’t bothered about it.

“Ask her! She doesn’t bite.” Tiffany’s words from earlier appeared in her mind and it made her look up at the girl opposite her. She caught Jessica’s smile widened when she met the blonde’s gaze and she quickly returned her gaze back to her books.

She swallowed and spun her pen around her fingers a few times before she dared to look up at the girl again. Jessica was still looking at her, and Taeyeon figured the girl wouldn’t stop doing it. Her shoulders sagged in defeat and she let out a sigh.

Well, asking wouldn’t hurt? Taeyeon thought and bit her lower lip. She noticed Jessica raised an eyebrow, like the girl understood something was on her mind, and she wanted to know what but didn’t want to force Taeyeon to tell her. If it really was that, Taeyeon admired Jessica for being able to read her so well.

“Um…what are you doing this Friday evening?” Taeyeon asked and held Jessica’s gaze.

Jessica’s lips curved upwards into a smirk. The girl leaned back in her seat and crossed her arms, tilted her head slightly to the left while she continued to hold Taeyeon’s gaze.

“I have plans with you, it appears.” Jessica said with a smile. Taeyeon blinked, tried to remember if she had made plans with the girl, but couldn’t remember and gave Jessica a confused look which made the blonde giggle.

“I figured you asked me so we could make plans.” Jessica pointed out.

“Oh…” Taeyeon blushed embarrassed as she hadn’t figured out that herself. She looked away awkwardly from the blonde, tapped her pencil against the book a few times before she felt ready to look at Jessica again. The girl smiled at her, her expression expectant.

“So…what time, what place and should I wear anything special?” Jessica asked.

Straight to the point. Jessica wasted no time, and Taeyeon figured this was Jessica’s way of saying she had no plans and would say yes to whatever Taeyeon was going to ask. A small smile appeared on the brunette’s lips and she continued to observe the girl that waited for her to answer.

“Seven pm, the school auditorium and you can wear whatever you feel comfortable to wear.”  Taeyeon answered. Jessica’s eyes widened slightly, a bit of surprise on her face after her answer.

“You’re going to perform?” Jessica asked.

“Yeah.”

“That’s awesome! I’ll be there. I’ll bring Hyoyeon and a camera as well.” Jessica said her lips forming a big smile. Taeyeon smiled thankfully at the girl and she returned to focus on her school work while Jessica seemed to do something on her phone instead, probably telling Hyoyeon about the plans as well.

“Where’s Tiffany?” Jessica asked after minutes of silence between them.

“Group project.”  Taeyeon simply answered without looking up at the other girl.

“Why aren’t you doing a group project?”

“I don’t work well in groups.”

A small chuckle escaped Jessica’s lips. It made Taeyeon look up at the blonde who smiled at her.

“Well, you don’t seem like a groupy person to begin with.” Jessica said. The statement made Taeyeon arch an eyebrow.

“Is ‘groupy’ even a word?” She asked and felt her lips wanting to pull up into a smile, but she tried her best to mask her emotions and let her lips stay in the position they were.

“In my vocabulary it is.” Jessica said clearly amused now when a conversation had been started. Taeyeon couldn’t help it, a small smile appeared on her lips when she saw the blonde girl smiling so brightly at her.

“Please give me a dictionary to your vocabulary so I can look up more strange words you might say in the future.” Taeyeon jokingly said and let her gaze go back to her books, items that would probably keep her from not smiling too much and give out how much she had grown to like this.

“It’s in the making. Do you want me to sign it while I’m at it?” Jessica said. Taeyeon shook her head at the girl and looked up at Jessica that was still smiling.

“Do as you please.” Taeyeon stated before she tried to go back to her school work.

“Don’t say that.” Jessica said. Hearing the seriousness in the girl’s voice Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at the girl. Jessica’s smile was gone and the girl had a more serious expression now. It made her a bit confused. Had she said something wrong?

“Why?” Taeyeon asked not understanding what she had said wrong.

“I might actually do it.” Jessica said. It didn’t help Taeyeon’s confusion and she looked around them before she looked back at the blonde again.

“Sign a dictionary for me?” She asked. Jessica didn’t smile and she suddenly feared she had done something greatly wrong.

“No, do as I please.” Jessica said and placed her chin on her palm, her brown orbs stared into Taeyeon’s. For some reason Taeyeon felt uncomfortable under the blonde’s gaze now. She shifted a bit and looked around them again before she looked back at the girl that still hadn’t let her eyes off her.

“I usually do what I want.” Jessica suddenly said.

Taeyeon blinked confused. She gulped and continued to hold Jessica’s gaze even though she was feeling uneasy.

“O-okay.”

A smirk appeared on the blonde’s lips and she leaned back in her seat with her arms crossed. Her head tilted to the side, her eyes continued to observe Taeyeon who was looking at her with an uncertain expression.

“And I don’t like it when I don’t get to do what I want.” Jessica stated.

“Well, I’m not going to hold you back from what you want to do.” Taeyeon said.

Jessica’s eyebrows rose like she was surprised.

“You sure?” She asked.  

“Yeah.”

“100% sure?”

Taeyeon frowned now. She didn’t like to be asked twice. “Yes!” She said and rolled her eyes at the girl and hoped that would convince Jessica that she had meant what she said.  

“Remember that then. The exact words you said. Remember them.”

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow at the girl and watched as Jessica slowly rose from her seat. The blonde slowly walked up to her, her eyes continued to follow Jessica form until the girl stopped in front of her. The blonde’s hand was placed under her chin, making her freeze, the hand moved to her cheek, turning her head towards the girl.

Blonde hair fell down over Jessica’s chest when the girl leaned down, Taeyeon could catch the smell of Jessica’s fruit scented shampoo. And before she knew it she felt a pair of lips covering hers. She was paralyzed by the contact, too shocked to move an inch.

The lips withdrawn, a thumb swiped across her lower lip and she found herself staring into gentle orbs that looked back at her.

“Now, remember that when you ask yourself why, remember you said that you wouldn’t hold me back from what I want.” Jessica whispered before she distanced herself from her.

Taeyeon was left in her seat, watching the blonde walk away from her. Her heart beat hard against her ribcage, her cheeks had taken a more pinkish color.

She swallowed, felt all kinds of thoughts go through her mind. It wasn’t until later, when her heart had started to beat in a more normal pace and her cheeks had taken their usual pale color, that she realized she was sitting and staring at nothing. Her head slowly turned and looked down at her text books and note books in front of her.

She her lips, feeling the taste of the raspberry lip balm Jessica had worn linger on them. She her lips in, her eyebrows furrowed as the kiss replayed in her mind over and over again.

Well, Taeyeon for sure wouldn’t be able to get any school work done now.