Chapter 21

More than the heart can carry

Eyes skimmed through the notes and chords displayed on the sheet of music beside the girl on the bed. Her eyebrows furrowed and her head titled slightly to the side. Her fingers pressed down on the strings, while her fingers on the other hand strummed them. A displeased expression appeared on her face and she moved her fingers to a different position and repeated the previous action with her other hand.

 

She nodded pleased at the different sound the guitar made. She played it a few more times before she moved her fingers to another position, making the guitar let out another sound. Still feeling satisfied with it she continued playing while bopping her head to the beat.

 

“Taeyeon!”

 

Taeyeon stopped in her actions when she heard her mother call her. She waited a few seconds before she slowly started playing again.

 

“Taeyeon stop playing! I’m trying to sleep!” Her mother said after a few seconds.

 

A frown appeared on her lips and she defeated placed the guitar to her side. She continued to look at the instrument on her bed, nibbling on her lip as she figured she had to practice playing, but couldn’t at her home.

 

A sigh escaped her lips and she looked to the other side, her eyes landed on her phone and her mind went through all people she could call to ask if it was okay to go to their place.

 

She picked up the device and found the first person she usually asked for these kinds of favors. She pressed the dial button and put the phone against her ear, listening to the dial tone until a familiar voice answered.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Sunny?”

 

“Yeah? What’s up?” The girl on the other line sounded cheerful, but even so Taeyeon felt nervous about asking to come over to the girl’s place, she didn’t want to bother her, even though Sunny had assured her so many times before it was no problem.

 

“Is it okay if I come over to your place?” Taeyeon asked and bit her lower lip.

 

“Oh…well, there’s one problem.” Sunny said.

 

Taeyeon released her lower lip as her lips formed an ‘o’. She blinked surprised as this had been the first time she had gotten that answer from the girl.

 

“What problem?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“You can go there, I’m sure my mom would let you in, but I’m not gonna be there.” The older girl explained.

 

Realizing the girl wasn’t at home Taeyeon slump her shoulders defeated. She didn’t want to go over to Sunny’s place unless the girl was there, even though she knew that Sunny’s mom probably would let her spend time there no matter what.

 

“It’s fine. I’ll call Miyoung and see if she’s home.”

 

“I’ll be home tomorrow though.” Sunny said.

 

“Okay, thanks for letting me know.”

 

“No problem, no problem. Take care.”

 

“Yeah…you too.” Taeyeon said. She hung up the call and scrolled through her contacts till she found the next person to call. Another press to the dial button and she placed the phone against her ear, listening to the dial tone on the other line.

 

After ten rings and no answer from the girl Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows in confusion and distanced the phone from her ear. She looked at the device with a frown and ended the call. She stared at the contacts name on the screen while she tried figuring out why the person hadn’t answered the phone.

 

She couldn’t come up with a reason and pressed the dial button once more. She again had to listen to all the dial tones until she realized the girl wouldn’t answer the phone. A sigh escaped her lips and she this time glared at the phone.

 

She tells me I can call whenever I want and now she doesn’t answer. Taeyeon thought and looked at the name. Her shoulders sagged and she began scrolling through her contacts again.

 

Maybe she’s busy… Taeyeon thought, her thoughts about the girl who hadn’t answered completely vanished when she ended up on a, now, rather familiar name in her contact book. Her thumb hovered above the name while she kept contemplating whether she should call the person or not.

 

After taking a deep breath, and ignoring how fast her heart was beating she finally pressed the name and dialed the person. Her heart continued to beat faster and faster, and after the third ring she began to lose her hope of the person answering.

 

“Hello?”

 

Taeyeon felt herself stopping to breathe when she heard the familiar voice on the other end. She opened to speak but nothing came out of it. She closed it again; her heart started beat faster, but now in panic of the person hanging up on her if she didn’t speak soon.

 

“Taeyeon?”

 

“Y-yes?” Taeyeon finally managed to utter some kind of response.

 

“Hey! What’s up? How is your practicing going?” The girl sounded as glad and cheerful as usual, and Taeyeon felt herself smile the more the girl talked.

 

“Is it okay if I practice at your place?” Taeyeon asked and felt her heart beat faster in nervousness.

 

“At my place?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

Taeyeon felt the request was a bit too much. She hadn’t even considered what the girl’s family would think of it. She suddenly felt she should take it back, and just wait till tomorrow when Sunny is home.

 

“Sure, come over. It’s no problem!” The girl replied.

 

Taeyeon blinked surprised upon the answer. She let her eyes go to the instrument on the bed next to her before she averted her gaze to the wall in front of her. She played with the end of the t-shirt she was wearing, noticing a loose thread that she wrapped around her index finger.

 

“Really? Is it really okay?” She asked just to make sure.

 

Laughter was her answer from the other girl. She felt herself relax at the sound, but kept telling herself that this girl could still reject her and say no.

 

“It’s really okay, Kim Taeyeon. Now come on over. I’ll wait for you.” The girl replied.

 

“O-okay. I’ll be there in twenty.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Okay then. See you in twenty.” The girl said.

 

The phone call ended, and Taeyeon found herself staring at her phone for a few seconds afterwards. Her heart was beating fast, in nervousness and anticipation. Realizing she wouldn’t be there in twenty if she spent more time staring at her phone she quickly jumped up from her bed, she looked around the room, trying to find the hoodie she had taken off earlier that day, and the rest of the things she needed.

 

 

---

 

 

She felt her hand shaking as she brought it up to the doorbell beside the door. Her teeth bit down on her lower lip as she heard the doorbell ring on the other side after pressing the button. She nervously shifted her weight back and forth between her feet as she waited for the door to open.

 

She heard a sound that indicated the door unlocked. Her heart started to beat faster as she saw it moving to open. And soon she was standing face to face with a blonde girl that had a wide smile plastered on her lips.

 

“Hey!” Jessica greeted her.

 

“H-hi.” Taeyeon said and entered the apartment when Jessica stepped to the side to let her inside.

 

“You’re two minutes late.” Jessica said after she had closed the door after her. Taeyeon turned towards the blonde girl, an apology already on her tongue, but stopped when she saw a phone was being held out in front of her.

 

Her eyebrows furrowed when she realized a stopwatch was being displayed on the screen of it, and seeing the time was 22.36 minutes she realized Jessica had timed how much time had taken for her to get there.

 

“You timed me?” Taeyeon asked instead of giving Jessica the apology she originally was going to do.

 

“Yup, you said 20 minutes, so I was testing to see if you can keep your words.” Jessica said and pocketed her phone.

 

Taeyeon shoulders slump upon the words. The blonde girl seemed to notice this and she began laughing and patted Taeyeon’s back.

 

“I was just kidding with you.” Jessica laughed and started to walk down the hallway.  

 

“Oh.” Taeyeon watched as Jessica continued to walk down the hallway. When the blonde girl seemed to have noticed that Taeyeon wasn’t following her she stopped in her tracks and turned towards the brunette still standing in the foyer. A smile formed on Jessica’s lips and she put a hand on her hip as her gaze met with Taeyeon’s.

 

“Will you practice over there or in my room?” Jessica asked.

 

Realizing the blonde wanted her to come with her Taeyeon quickly went over to Jessica’s side. The blonde only shook her head and took the lead as they went to her bedroom.

 

Taeyeon looked around the room she had been inside one time before. Her eyes went over to Jessica’s bed before she turned towards the desk the other girl had sat down by. Jessica spun around in her seat on the swivel chair and faced the still standing girl.

 

“You can take a seat on my bed. I’ll do some school work while you play.” Jessica said and nodded towards the computer on her desk.

 

“I won’t bother you with my playing?” Taeyeon asked as she took a seat on the blonde’s bed. Jessica only shook her head with a smile on her lips.

 

“I doubt you’ll bother me. Go on. Play. I’ll be busy doing my thing.” Jessica said and turned back to the computer, leaving Taeyeon to her guitar and all her worries about disturbing someone.

 

The girl on the bed bit her lower lip and placed the guitar case on her lap. Her eyes went over to the girl on the desk, checking to see if Jessica would suddenly change her mind and tell her not to play, but nothing of that happened and she carefully opened the case and slowly took out the guitar.

 

The case was placed to the side, and she positioned the guitar on her lap. A small breath was released and she grabbed the guitar’s neck with one hand, and strummed carefully on the strings with the other. None of the strings needed to be tuned, which made a feeling of relief wash over Taeyeon as she thought that sound might have been too noisy for the girl by the desk.

 

After checking on Jessica that was too busy to notice anything, it seemed, Taeyeon took out her music sheets and placed them beside her on the bed. A sigh escaped her lips, her fingers were placed against her strings and she slowly began playing the notes written on the piece of paper.

 

It didn’t take long for her to get lost in the tunes she was making with the guitar. She soon accompanied the playing with some humming, nodding her head to the beats, and closing her eyes to focus solely on the sound.

 

She started playing a song she knew by heart, a song she recently had learned and had begun to play as a warm up song. She nodded her head to the tunes of the song, completely lost in it, and completely oblivious to the eyes that now were watching her.

 

Girl, I think about you every day now

Was a time when I wasn't sure

But you set my mind at ease

There is no doubt

You're in my heart now

 

Taeyeon opened her eyes when she heard the voice that had begun singing. It stopped when she caught Jessica who had been the one singing the sweet and delicate tunes of the song. She stopped playing, feeling a little disappointed that Jessica had stopped when she had noticed her.

 

The blonde smiled at her, and she mustered up a small smile herself at the girl that still sat by the desk.

 

“You’re really good. It’s really relaxing to hear you play.” Jessica pointed out. Taeyeon blinked surprised upon the compliment.

 

“Really?” She asked, doubting that Jessica had said the truth.

 

“Yeah! Definitively!”  Jessica assured.

 

Taeyeon looked down at the guitar. She lightly strummed the strings, barely any sound coming from them from her action. Her gaze went up to the girl in front of the desk in the room, she noticed Jessica had left her seat, and was now standing in front of her.

 

She felt her breath hitch when the girl leaned closer. The guitar she was holding was taken from her grip and placed on the bed beside her. She blinked one time, the next time she blinked a pair of lips had covered hers. Her body tensed by the contact, but when a clod but familiar hand was placed against her cheek she relaxed, her head tiled slightly to the side, and she finally kissed Jessica back.

 

When the parted she felt she was out of breath. Her chest heaved up and down as she took large gulps of air to compensate for the time she had been without oxygen. She continued to look at Jessica that smiled at her, and slowly moved her hand from her cheek, placing it under her chin, and slowly let her thumb wipe over her bottom lip.

 

“You like the taste of raspberry.” Jessica stated.

 

Taeyeon nodded her head, even though Jessica hadn’t asked it. The blonde’s lips formed a smirk, and the hand under her chin got withdrawn. A feeling of coldness and abandonment washed over Taeyeon as Jessica now made a distance between them.

 

“Do you wanna spend the night?” Jessica asked.

 

“Huh?” Taeyeon was sure she had gotten the question right. But the laugh that followed from the blonde girl made her realize that maybe she hadn’t heard it so wrongly. She waited for Jessica to stop laughing before the girl repeated what she had asked.

 

“Do you wanna spend the night? It’s late, and we can go to school together tomorrow.” Jessica said and nodded towards the window in her room.

 

Taeyeon looked outside the window, she noticed it was already dark outside, which meant that it probably already was a bit late. She turned back to Jessica who was waiting for some kind of answer from her.

 

“Will it be okay?” Taeyeon asked. Jessica just smiled at her and moved towards the bed, she moved the guitar case away and took a seat next to the brunette who turned and looked at her.

 

“Yeah, you can sleep beside me on the bed.” Jessica said.

 

Taeyeon felt herself blush at the statement, her heart started to beat faster the more she thought about sleeping next to the blonde girl. She looked away from Jessica, taking her time to look around the bed while she waited for her heart to calm down.

 

The bed was big, bigger than hers. And the two of them could easily sleep on it without disturbing each other. Taeyeon took her time to tell herself that fact before she turned back to the blonde who still waited for an answer from her.

 

“Okay.” Taeyeon said and nodded her head. “I’ll stay the night.” She said and saw a wide grin form on Jessica’s face.

 

“But I don’t have any clothes to sleep in.” Taeyeon pointed out.

 

The smile momentarily vanished from Jessica’s face. Taeyeon noticed that Jessica’s eyes were lowered to her attire. The girl tilted her head like she was in deep thought before she finally looked back up at the brunette, a smile forming on her lips once again.

 

“I’m sure I can lend you something to sleep in.” Jessica said.

 

The blonde got up from the bed, and Taeyeon watched as she made her way to the closet in the room. Jessica opened the doors to it, and began rummaging through it. After a while the girl spun around with a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt in her hands.

 

“I’m sure these will fit.” The girl said and handed Taeyeon the clothes. The brunette took the clothes and looked up at Jessica again. The blonde smiled at her before she made her way back to the closet.

 

“I’m gonna take a shower now. You can…you can make yourself comfortable, or something.” Jessica said and turned back towards Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon didn’t know what to say, or do, but she nodded her head. Jessica smiled at her and closed the doors to her closet before she made her way to the door of the room.

 

“I’ll be back soon. I’ll try to not take too long.” Jessica promised before she left the brunette girl in the room. The now silent room with just one girl inside that had a heart that beat way too fast for her comfort.

 

Taeyeon gulped and looked around the room again. Her heart was beating fast, because of nervousness, and excitement she realized. Her eyes were lowered to the clothes Jessica had handed her. It was a simple blue t-shirt and a pair of grey sweatpants. She felt herself blush when thoughts about if she needed the clothes on or not appeared in her head.

 

Of course you need the clothes on. Don’t get ahead of yourself. She scolded herself.

 

She shook her head to get rid of the thoughts. She placed the clothes to the side and began gathering her music sheets and putting the guitar back into its case. Trying to think of all other things there was to think of in the world, except for that she would be sleeping beside Jessica that night. Her heart was still beating fast, and no matter what she told herself she seemed to never come out of her excitement.