Chapter 30

More than the heart can carry

The girl lied in bed, her eyes staring at the white ceiling above her. Her alarm had went off ten minutes ago, but she couldn’t bring herself to get out of bed. Not because she was tired, but because she didn’t want to. She didn’t want to get up and face the day.

 

A sigh left her lips and she turned to lie on her side. Her eyes landed on her phone that was laying on the bedside table next to the bed. A frown appeared on her lips upon seeing the device. She stretched out her hand towards it, grabbing it and bringing it closer to her face.

 

She opened her text messages and read the last text she had received last night. The text that had made her not want to get out of bed today.

 

‘I have music class in the morning. Can’t go with you.’

 

Jessica placed her phone on the bed and turned away from it. She had hope she could go to school with Taeyeon today, but it turned out the girl had music class in the morning, and Jessica didn’t have her first class until later, and because she didn’t want to hang around in school for an hour without anything to do, she decided to not walk to school with Taeyeon.

 

Another sigh escaped her lips and she placed her arm above her eyes. She wanted to go back to sleep, but she couldn’t. Something was nagging her, and it bothered her more than she wanted.

 

She stayed in bed for another five minutes before she decided on getting up. Staying down will only make her feel down, she knew from past experiences.

 

She left bed, went to her desk and picked up the packet of cigarettes beside the keyboard to the computer. She put one of the cancer sticks between her lips and her heels to leave the room. As she reached the door she abruptly stopped. A thought had suddenly dawned on her.

 

If Taeyeon went to her music class, there was a chance the girl would meet Narsha. And as far as Jessica knew, the girl hadn’t talked or met the girl since she had rejected her that time after the performance.

 

Jessica slowly removed the cigarette from between her lips. She didn’t know why, but she didn’t like the thought of Taeyeon meeting Narsha.

 

The blonde bit her lower lip. She hadn’t confirmed any relationship with Taeyeon, so in sense, Narsha still had a chance with the girl. But Taeyeon had admitted to having feelings for her, so she think that Narsha would be able to get any closer to the girl.

 

Jessica frowned. She knew better than to let her guard down around Narsha. She had done it once, and look what that had led to.

 

The blonde spun around on her heel once more, going back into her room.

 

She would make sure Narsha knew the feeling of heartbreak.

 

 

---

 

 

 

The blonde girl watched as the students left the classroom, one by one, sometimes in pairs. She waited, making sure she wouldn’t miss the person she had been waiting fifteen minutes for. The stream of students from the classroom seemed to cease, and finally, the brunette girl she had been waiting for exited the classroom.

 

A smirk formed on her lips, and she didn’t wait around. She knew that if she waited only a few seconds she could miss her chance, and she didn’t want that, not when she had left home earlier than she had intended.

 

“Taeyeon!” Jessica called the girl’s name. Taeyeon turned, surprise evident on her face. The blonde noticed that the girl walking behind Taeyeon also turned, and she too looked surprised, just not as pleasantly surprised as Taeyeon.

 

“Hey!” Jessica said as she approached the girl. She met Narsha’s gaze, only a quick glance, to make the girl know that she had seen her, and she was aware of her presence.

 

“Hey–“ Jessica didn’t let Taeyeon finish whatever the girl had meant to say. She silenced the girl with a kiss, keeping one hand on the girl’s left cheek, while her arm was securely wrapped around the girl’s waist, keeping the brunette as close to her as possible.

 

Jessica pulled away from the kiss, taking in a dazed Taeyeon who didn’t seem to be able to form any words now. She her lower lip, pleased by her work and let her gaze go the girl behind the brunette, a smirk forming on her lips when she saw Narsha’s shocked face.

 

Take that. Jessica’s gaze met Narsha and she saw the girl glared at her. She continued to smile and turned to Taeyeon instead, smiling warmly at the brunette.

 

“I’ll walk you to your class.” Jessica said throwing one last glance at Narsha before she put one arm around Taeyeon’s shoulders and began walking to the direction of Taeyeon’s classroom.

 

She felt satisfied. Pleased. She didn’t know revenge would feel this good. A smile was on the blonde’s lips as she walked with one arm around Taeyeon. She knew they probably looked like a couple, or best friends, but she didn’t care what other people thought. She was just too pleased by Narsha’s shocked face, the speechless reaction the girl had given.

 

Jessica couldn’t wait to tell Hyoyeon about it.

 

The pair reached Taeyeon’s classroom, and that was when Jessica let the brunette go from her one armed hug. She smiled at the girl that now had a blush on her face.

 

“You’re never in school early.” Taeyeon said.

 

“If you’re in school early I’ll also be here early.” Jessica said and winked. She saw the corners of Taeyeon’s lips pull upwards, and the girl’s already pink cheeks turned an even brighter shade of the color, the reaction made Jessica lose her smile, as she was suddenly reminded that she hadn’t come to the school early for Taeyeon’s sake, she had come for another sake, and Taeyeon had just been used as a tool.

 

She quickly brushed away those regretful thoughts, and she took one step back from the girl, like making a distance between them would make Jessica’s guilt less obvious.

 

“I have to go, my class will start. See you some other time.” Jessica quickly said. She noticed Taeyeon looked surprised, and she didn’t judge the girl, she too could see that she was acting strange. Since when did she care about going to class in time?

 

Since her classes was a way to escape from Taeyeon, and also the guilt she felt whenever she saw the girl’s hopeful face. Those sparkling eyes. Jessica knew she had taken this too far, but she didn’t know how to end it, or where to end it.

 

She knew she had gotten in too deep now.

 

 

---

 

 

A tug to her ponytail made Jessica stumble backwards, next came the push and she felt her back collide with the locker behind her. A groan escaped her lips and she opened her eyes, taking in the blazing one’s that stared back at her. A frown formed on her lips by the sight.

 

“What the Jung?” Narsha snarled and placed a hand beside Jessica’s head to keep the blonde’s form from escaping. Jessica didn’t look frightened and looked Narsha right into the eyes.

 

“What?” Jessica barked.

 

“Since when did you get close to Taeyeon?”

 

“Since I wanted to.” Jessica said.

 

“You know I was interested in her.”

 

“Who ing cares?”

 

Jessica felt Narsha grip around her collar and ram her head into the locker again. She shut her eyes by the impact but tried to seem as unfazed she could when she met Narsha’s gaze again. The girl in front of her was furious, really furious. And Jessica should feel scared, but she wasn’t.

 

“It’s not like you had claimed her.” Jessica said. Narsha’s grip tightened, she could feel the girl’s long nails scrape across the skin under her collarbones. That better not leave a mark.

 

“Why would you even try to get close to her if you knew I was interested in the first place?” Narsha asked through gritted teeth.

 

“Why would you get close to a girl who has a girlfriend already?” Jessica fired back.

 

Narsha’s face hardened, her eyes narrowed.

 

“So this is about that.”

 

“Maybe.” Jessica said and felt Narsha loosened her hold on her before she finally let the blonde go.

 

Jessica began straightening out her clothes, fixed her hair, but didn’t take her eyes off of the girl in front of her. Narsha could jump at her again, and Jessica wasn’t really fond of marks in her face, and with Narsha’s long nails the girl could probably rip off her skin.

 

“I’ll tell Taeyeon about this.” Narsha finally said.

 

Jessica scoffed. “And what makes you think she will believe you?”

 

“What makes you think she won’t?”

 

“Because Taeyeon trusts me more than you.” Jessica said.

 

Narsha frowned, she saw the flickering anger in the girl, and Jessica merely managed to dodge the punch that was directed towards her face. She backed, only to be reminded she had no place to go unless she side stepped. She faced Narsha, and when the girl closed in on her, she lifted her leg, placed her right foot in the lower abdomen area, and pushed with all her might.

 

It had given her enough space to escape from her cornered position. She moved to a place where she had more room to move around, faced Narsha again, and put her arms up, ready to defend or fight for herself.

 

Narsha’s face was red from anger, but the girl didn’t go at her again, instead she turned, throwing one last glance over her shoulder to look at Jessica.

 

“I’ll destroy your face Jung. Just you wait.” Narsha said before she continued her way down the hallway.

 

Jessica watched as the girl walked further away. When Narsha was out of sight she relaxed, letting out a sigh of relief, and spun around.

 

An arm was wrapped around her neck, shocking her, but noticing the wave of blonde hair, she realized who it was.

 

“You cat fighting with Narsha when I’m not around? Why didn’t you call me?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

“The fight was unplanned. She pounced on me.” Jessica said and unwrapped herself from Hyoyeon’s arm.

 

“What did you do to make her that mad?”

 

“Kissed Taeyeon in front of her.”

 

“Oooh, good job Jung! I’m proud of you!” Hyoyeon said and lightly punched Jessica’s arm.

 

Jessica mustered up a smile, but it quickly faded as she remembered Taeyeon’s hopeful face, and how much she had led the poor girl on.

 

Jessica knew Taeyeon didn’t deserve to be involved in whatever quarrel she had with Narsha. But it was too late now. And the only thing she could do was to tell Taeyeon. But Jessica didn’t know how to break those news to the poor girl without causing her harm.