Chapter 31

More than the heart can carry

A sigh left the girl’s lips as she put the newly washed plate to dry. She looked at the pile of dishes she had finished washing. Finally. After what felt like ages she had managed to do all the cleaning the apartment had needed.

 

She grabbed the towel lying on the kitchen counter and wiped her wet hands. Sunny had been right. Keeping one day off to do house chores really paid off. Taeyeon smiled by the advice her friend had given her, she was thankful that she had the girl.

 

The brunette left the kitchen and strolled to her room. The first thing she noticed was the school books she had left on her bed. Remembering she needed to study her shoulders slump, and all the energy seemed to drain from her body.

 

A tired sigh escaped her lips and she slowly walked over to her bed. Her feet dragging behind her, like they would work as anchors to keep her from the dreading assignment of doing her homework.

 

A buzz from her cellphone made her avert her focus from her school books to the device on her night stand. She walked over to it, picking it up to see why it had vibrated. Seeing the familiar name on the screen her heart beat faster, and she had to pause before she could open the text message.

 

‘What’s up? Wanna go for a walk? :)’

 

Taeyeon blinked. She hadn’t hung out with Jessica for a long while. And honestly, she missed hanging out with the girl. Her thumb hovered above the screen of the cellphone, she hesitated with her answer, her eyes went back to the pile of books, her teeth clamped down on her bottom lip and she turned her focus back to what to reply to the girl.

 

‘Nothing important. Where should we meet up?’

 

She released the breath she hadn’t been aware that she had been holding. Her shoulders heaved up and down as she tried to regain some of the oxygen she had lost when she hadn’t been breathing.

 

The phone vibrated and she jumped startled. Her heard was beating too fast for her comfort, and she opened the new text message she had gotten with trembling hands.

 

‘Let’s meet at the park! :)’

 

Taeyeon stared at the text message for a minute. She gulped and let her hand with the cellphone fall to her side as she stared into the wall. Her heart was still beating very fast, she could her hear pulse inside her ears. She gulped again.

 

She had to get ready. It was no time to be nervous. It was just Jessica. Only Jessica.

 

She inhaled deeply in hope of calming her heart.

 

And that was the problem. That it was only Jessica.

 

 

---

 

 

It was cold outside. Taeyeon wished she had put on more clothes before she went out. But now it was too late to think about that. She had already arrived at the park, and going back home and coming back would take too much time. Jessica would need to wait too long.

 

The brunette sighed, her breath steaming in the cold air. She watched as the white cloud disappeared in the thin air in front of her.

 

Her eyes caught another cloud of smoke coming from one of the benched behind a bush. Her eyebrows knotted together. She began walking in the direction of the smoke, she rounded the bush, and found the blonde girl she was going to meet here sitting on the bench on the other side.

 

“Hey!” Jessica exclaimed happily when her eyes landed on Taeyeon’s form.

 

“Let’s walk, let’s walk! My is going to be a pillow of ice if I continue to sit on the cold bench.” Jessica said and jumped up from her seat. To Taeyeon’s surprise the blonde girl wrapped her arm around hers.

 

She felt a blush creep to her cheeks, and she felt unable to face the girl that was walking beside her. She averted her gaze to the side, not looking at the blonde that seemed oblivious to her shyness.

 

“It’s really cold today, isn’t it?” Jessica said.

 

“Y-yeah…” Taeyeon stammered out her answer. She felt Jessica hugging her arm even tighter. She gulped. Was this how they were going to walk the whole time?

 

They continued to walk. In silence. Which surprised Taeyeon. When she turned to look at the blonde girl beside her, she noticed that Jessica seemed to be in deep thought. She wondered what was on the girl’s mind. Jessica didn’t seem to be the person to think too much.

 

The brunette bit her lower lip and turned her gaze forward. There was no one else but them on this street. It was kind of nice, having no other people around them, nothing to disturb them.

 

Her eyebrows knotted together when she thought of what she had felt. Why should it bother her if someone disturbed them? She let the question linger for a while in her head, her heart seemed to have the answer, but she didn’t want to admit it.

 

She sighed, only to stop in the middle of it when she heard Jessica sigh too. She looked in surprise at the girl, that also looked at her. Jessica laughed and turned her gaze forward again.

 

“A lot on your mind?” Jessica asked.

 

Taeyeon didn’t immediately answer. She let her eyes go the same direction as Jessica’s, letting Jessica’s question hang in the air for a while.

 

“Yeah.” She finally answered.

 

She felt the blonde was slowing down, and because she was holding Taeyeon’s arm Taeyeon had to adjust her speed to Jessica’s. Soon they had stopped, in the middle of the street. Taeyeon looked around, trying to see if there was something special about the spot they had stopped, but she couldn’t find anything.

 

Confused she turned to Jessica who had been the one that had stopped. She stopped herself from asking the blonde why they had stopped exactly there when she saw the blonde still seemed to be in deep thought.

 

Taeyeon was struck with worry as she felt it wasn’t like Jessica to be like this. Her eyebrows furrowed, her head titled slightly to the side as she continued to look at the blonde.

 

“Hey, Jessica, are you okay?” Taeyeon couldn’t hold herself back from asking. She had to know what made the girl be like this. It worried her to see Jessica no being like herself.

 

Jessica seemed to snap out of her thoughts. The blonde blinked as she looked at Taeyeon. The brunette felt like Jessica had just realized that she was with her. She didn’t answer, she only stared at her, stared and stared. Taeyeon wondered if Jessica was trying to find some unknown answer in her face.

 

Taeyeon saw something changed in Jessica’s face. She continued to stare at the girl that seemed to look at her with a spark of determination. She wanted to ask what was going on, but she felt like she would interrupt the girl in whatever she was dealing with in her head.

 

Before Taeyeon had the time to register what was happening, Jessica leaped forward, capturing Taeyeon’s lips with hers with such force Taeyeon was sure she would end up with a bleeding lip.

 

Jessica kissed her fiercely. Like she was desperate. Taeyeon had a hard time keeping up with the blonde, and it felt the girl was eating her lips rather than kissing them.

 

After a few seconds of fierce kissing Jessica seemed to calm down, or come to her senses, as her kisses became gentler. Taeyeon felt the last kisses the girl gave her were like feathers being brushed against her lips.

 

Jessica stopped kissing her, but the girl didn’t pull away. She continued to stand close to Taeyeon with her forehead leaning against the brunette. When Taeyeon opened her eyes, she noticed Jessica seemed to have gone back to be in deep thought. It worried her a lot now, and she could kill to get inside the blonde’s head.

 

The blonde suddenly opened her eyes, Taeyeon got surprised as she hadn’t prepared herself to be staring into Jessica’s eyes. The two girl’s continued to stare into each other’s eyes. No one moving, and no one was saying anything.

 

Taeyeon saw that Jessica wetted her lips, opened like she was going to say something, but she closed it again. Taeyeon blinked, and waited. She felt Jessica inhaled and slowly exhaled.

 

“Do you want to be my girlfriend?” The question she never thought she would hear left Jessica’s lips.

 

Taeyeon stared in surprise at the blonde. She blinked. For a moment she thought she had heard wrong, but she didn’t know how she could hear wrong when she was standing this close to the girl. Her second guess was that Jessica was joking, but the blonde was looking at her with such serious expression that Taeyeon was even afraid of asking if the girl was kidding.

 

The brunette didn’t look away from Jessica’s eyes. She swallowed. Inhaled and exhaled to calm her fast beating heart.

 

“Y-yes.” She finally answered.

 

They continued to stare at each other. Taeyeon noticed that Jessica’s expression seemed to slowly change. The girl seemed to relax. It seemed like whatever that had bothered the girl before didn’t seem to be an issue anymore.

 

A smile formed on Jessica’s lips, and the girl leaned in to peck Taeyeon’s lips before she pulled away, a broad grin on her lips.

 

Taeyeon stared at the girl. She was still in a daze. She was surprised at how fast Jessica’s mood had changed. Was that what the girl had been bothered about all this time? Had the girl planned to ask her that since the beginning?

 

Jessica turned towards her. The blonde smiled, and she leaned closer to her face, kissing her cheek before she pulled way.

 

“I have to get home before it gets too late.” Jessica whispered.

 

“A-ah.”

 

“Will you walk me home?”

 

Taeyeon turned to the blonde that was looking at her with pleading eyes. Jessica didn’t have to look at her like that, Taeyeon knew she wouldn’t reject the girl.

 

“Of course.” Taeyeon answered.

 

Jessica smiled brightly at her, and the blonde took the lead and made them turn around to walk back the way they had come from. They continued to walk in silence, Taeyeon too surprised over the past minutes event that she couldn’t quite grasp what had happened.

 

Was she Jessica’s girlfriend now? Were they official?

 

It felt like her head were spinning. She didn’t understand. She thought that Jessica didn’t like her. When she had confessed, the girl hadn’t said it back, and she hadn’t made their relationship official until now.

 

Taeyeon was more confused than before.

 

She felt Jessica was slowing down, and it made Taeyeon look around to take in her surroundings. They had already reached the area where Jessica lives, Taeyeon had been too deep in thought that she hadn’t noticed where they were.

 

“Thanks for walking me home.” Jessica said and turned to Taeyeon.

 

“No problem.” Taeyeon said and looked at the blonde. Jessica smiled and turned towards the building next to them. The blonde sighed contently before she turned back to the brunette.

 

“Good night. See you around.” Jessica said. The blonde leaned closer, Taeyeon felt her breath hitch as she felt the lips brush past hers, and pecking the corner of them before the blonde pulled away.

 

“Bye Kim Taeyeon.” Jessica gave a small wave to the brunette before she walked off to the apartment complex.

 

Taeyeon watched her go. She felt she had questions that needed to be answered, but she didn’t know how to ask them.

 

The brunette sighed and spun around to head back to her home. Something new had started, but this start had left her with so many unanswered things, and all she wanted to do was to find out the answers to them.