Chapter 35

More than the heart can carry

A low sigh escaped the brunette’s lips as she stopped outside of her locker in the school. She shifted the weight of her guitar case from one shoulder to the other as she tried to open the locker where all her books were. Her eyes scanned the books inside of it, trying to find the book for her next class.

 

When she finally found it she grabbed it together with her notebook and closed her locker. When she turned to walk to her classroom she jumped startled as she realized she hadn’t been alone.

 

“Hi.” Tiffany said when she saw Taeyeon had noticed her.

 

A frown appeared on Taeyeon’s face upon seeing the other brunette.

 

“Hi.” She mumbled out and proceeded to walk away from the girl, but Tiffany tagged after her.

 

“Hey, Taeyeon.” Tiffany calling her name made her stop and turn towards the girl. Tiffany stopped as well when she had managed to gain Taeyeon’s attention. The girl mustered up a small smile, and Taeyeon raised an eyebrow as she waited for the girl to say whatever she had to say.

 

“Do you wanna hang out today? I’m going to Sunny’s place.” Tiffany asked.

 

Taeyeon felt her shock about the invitation was evident on her face. She quickly masked her emotions and turned away from Tiffany as she thought of the proposal. Why should she be hanging out with Tiffany? Why did this invitation come all of sudden? Did the girl have something to tell her?

 

Taeyeon turned back to the other brunette. She could see Tiffany was anticipating her answer. A sigh left Taeyeon’s lips and she shrugged her shoulders.

 

“We’ll see.” Taeyeon answered.

 

“Sunny wants you to come.” Tiffany said as Taeyeon was on her way to leave again.

 

Once again Taeyeon felt skeptical. Had Tiffany talked to Sunny and gotten the older girl to be on her side to make Taeyeon hang out with her? But why would Sunny do that if the girl knew that Taeyeon didn’t feel like hanging out with the other brunette?

 

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders at Tiffany’s last statement and began to walk again.

 

“I’ll think about it.” Taeyeon said before Tiffany could blurt out anything else that would make her stop from making her way to the class and away from Tiffany.

 

When she turned around to check if Tiffany had followed her she noticed that the girl had went to hang out with the other girls in their class. A frown appeared on Taeyeon’s face and she continued her way to the classroom and stopped outside of it.

 

She didn’t know why, but she felt disappointed Tiffany hadn’t tried more in trying to convince her. And she felt disappointed the girl hadn’t followed her and came up with all sorts of reasons for them to hang out.

 

Even though Taeyeon didn’t want to admit it, but she didn’t feel that important to Tiffany anymore. It felt like the girl had easily replaced her with someone else, like whatever friendship they had it had been forgotten, and wasn’t worth fighting for.

 

The brunette sighed and let her gaze fall to the floor. She moved her left foot over the floor before she let it stop beside her right foot. She bit her lower lip as she felt sadness fill her.

 

Could anyone replace her?

 

 

---

 

 

It was lunch, and the cafeteria was filled with students. Taeyeon wasn’t sure if she would be able to find a place to sit to eat her food. She continued to walk around the cafeteria, searching for either an empty table to a table with people that she knew that had a free seat that she maybe could take.

 

Just when she was thinking of eating outside her eyes landed on two blonde girls by a table. One seat was empty and even though Taeyeon felt a bit shy and unsure if it was alright to sit there, she still approached the table.

 

“H-hi.” She shyly greeted the girls by the table.

 

“Hi! What’s up? Want a seat?” Hyoyeon who was one of the girls by the table greeted her excitedly. Taeyeon looked at Jessica who was sitting opposite Hyoyeon, for some reason, Jessica didn’t look that pleased over the idea.

 

“Is it okay?” Taeyeon asked just to be sure.

 

“Yeah, it’s fine.” Hyoyeon answered. But Taeyeon felt she would rather have gotten the answer from Jessica.

 

Even though she had gotten to approval of Jessica, Taeyeon took the vacant seat next to the girl. She shyly glanced at the blonde, and when she was this close to the girl she noticed she looked really tired, like she hadn’t slept at all. She wondered if the girl had gotten sick and couldn’t sleep at night.

 

“Are you…okay?” Taeyeon couldn’t hold back her inquiry. Jessica looked at her, a tired smile appeared on the blonde’s lips and she nodded her head.

 

“Yeah, don’t worry, Kim Taeyeon.” Jessica answered and began to slowly eat her food.

 

But Taeyeon wasn’t sure how she could not worry. She hadn’t had a proper talk with Jessica for what felt like the longest time, and she wasn’t sure why. It felt like the girl was avoiding her, but then she didn’t want to jump to any conclusions as Jessica might just be busy with things.

 

“Anything new?” Jessica suddenly asked.

 

Taeyeon was about to answer no when the remembered what Tiffany had asked her. She wondered if she maybe should bring it up with Jessica. She nodded her head in answer to the blonde’s question.

 

“Yeah, Tiffany asked if I wanted to hang out with her after school.” Taeyeon answered.

 

Jessica didn’t look surprised. The blonde nodded her head, poked her food with her fork before she turned back to Taeyeon.

 

“What did you answer?”

 

“I said I’d think about it.” Taeyeon answered.

 

“You know, if you want to hang out with her you should. Maybe she wants to clear up things between you. You should at least give her a chance to do that.” Jessica said.

 

Taeyeon was kind of surprised by Jessica’s words, but then, the blonde was right in what she was saying. She nodded her head, and let her gaze go to her plate of food.

 

“Yeah…maybe she is.” Taeyeon said.

 

Silence filled the table, except for the occasional sound of Jessica hitting her fork against the plate. Taeyeon bit her lower lip. Why was it feeling like Jessica was pushing her away?

 

“What will you do this weekend?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Go visit my sister.” Jessica replied quickly and sipped her glass of water.

 

Taeyeon got surprised, and when she looked at Hyoyeon, she could see that she wasn’t the only one surprised over Jessica’s weekend plans.

 

“Really? You haven’t visited your sister for months.” Hyoyeon pointed out.

 

“That’s why I’m gonna visit her.” Jessica said.

 

Taeyeon felt a bit disappointed that Jessica would go away over the weekend. She had hoped that maybe they could hang out. But she figured out that she couldn’t hold back the blonde from visiting her sister.

 

“I hope you will have fun.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Me too.” Jessica said. The blonde finished her glass of water before she stood up from her seat.

 

“I’ll go out for a smoke. Have fun with Tiffany today. Bye, Kim Taeyeon.” Jessica said, and before the blonde left the table she kissed Taeyeon’s forehead, leaving the brunette confused and flustered.

 

It felt like Jessica was pushing her away, but at the same time the girl was doing sweet actions like that, like she was trying to tell her that she’s still there. It made Taeyeon wonder if she’s doing something wrong, maybe she’s the one making Jessica feel that she’s the one pushing the blonde away?

 

Taeyeon missed the times when Jessica would randomly kiss her on the lips. When they would walk together and have long talks with each other. After they had become girlfriends it felt like they had become more distant, and Taeyeon wasn’t sure if she was at fault for it, and she didn’t know if she should bring it up with Jessica either.

 

 

---

 

 

Right after the teacher had dismissed the class for the day sounds of chairs scraping against the floor and students chattering and books being closed were heard. Taeyeon let out a sigh tired sigh, closed her books and put them in her backpack as she got homework to do.

 

She turned to her side to check on the girl sitting next to her. Tiffany was busy putting pencils and erasers back in her pencil case and putting the books into her bag. Taeyeon bit her lip as she wasn’t sure how to approach the girl, which felt strange as she hadn’t had problems with that before.

 

“H-hey, T-Tiffany.” Taeyeon stammered out. She bit her lip and mentally scolded herself for how shy she sounded. It felt so unlike her and she hoped Tiffany wouldn’t notice.

 

“What?” Tiffany turned towards her. Taeyeon bit the inside of her cheek as she once again wasn’t sure how to tell the girl what she wanted. She gulped and continued to hold Tiffany’s gaze as the latter waited for a response.

 

“We can hang out today…if you still want to…” Taeyeon mumbled.

 

Tiffany’s eyebrows rose in surprise, only to lower and a smile appeared on her lips.

 

“Great! We’re gonna go to Sunny’s place. We can go together.”  The girl said.

 

Taeyeon felt her spirit sink. The thought of the walk to Sunny’s place with Tiffany was dreadful. It felt like the situation would be awkward as she had no idea what to talk with the girl about, and she figured that if they were mad at each other, they can’t just stop to shout at each other in the middle of the street. So she wondered how both of them would survive that walk.

 

“Um…Sunny isn’t at university?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Tiffany’s eyebrows furrowed by Taeyeon’s inquiry. It made her feel as if she had asked something stupid.

 

“Sunny only has one class on Fridays, I thought you knew that.” Tiffany said.

 

Taeyeon blinked. She actually did know that, but she had just forgotten it, or just had forgotten that it was Friday.

 

“Right…right…it’s Friday.” Taeyeon said and nodded her head. She looked at Tiffany, and she mustered up and awkward smile.

 

“Should we go then?” She asked.

 

Tiffany smiled and hoisted up her bag on her shoulder. “Yeah, let’s go.” The girl said.

 

Taeyeon hesitantly got up from her seat, grabbed her backpack and her guitar case and followed the other girl out of the classroom. She walked slightly behind Tiffany, she thought that if she walked next to the girl she might need to come up with a conversation, and she didn’t have any topics at mind right now.

 

They exited the school building and walked across the school yard in silence. No one saying anything. Taeyeon wondered if Tiffany felt just as awkward as she did. Or if the girl was just silence because she didn’t want to talk to her, which was strange as Tiffany usually had something to say, or maybe the girl didn’t have anything to say to Taeyeon anymore.

 

Taeyeon let out a long tired sigh. This would be a long and awkward walk, and she wasn’t sure how well she would survive it. She had hoped Sunny could have met up with them instead, or maybe, if possible, she could have brought Jessica with her.

 

 

---

 

 

After a long walk of silence the two girls finally arrived at Sunny’s place. Tiffany had taken the lead, and Taeyeon continued to slightly walk behind the girl to avoid awkward conversations. They stopped outside of the door of Sunny’s place, Tiffany rang the doorbell and soon the door opened and revealed their short haired, blonde friend.

 

“Hi!” Sunny said.

 

“Hey, girl!” Tiffany said and stepped inside. Sunny’s eyes landed on Taeyeon, and a bit of surprise was shown on her face, but it soon disappeared and she was smiling happily before she let Taeyeon inside.

 

“Nice to see you!” Sunny exclaimed and gave Taeyeon a pat on the back.

 

“Yeah…nice to see you too.” Taeyeon mumbled out.

 

When Tiffany and Taeyeon had taken off their clothes and shoes they followed Sunny to her room. Sunny and Tiffany took a seat on the bed, and Taeyeon took a seat on the floor. Silence filled the room, Taeyeon looked from Sunny to Tiffany, and let her gaze fall to her hands as she felt it was awkward looking at them, like she was hoping one of them could break the ice.

 

The silence went on from minutes, the occasional sound of someone shifting in her position was heard, but other than that, no one said a word.

 

“So, how was school?” Sunny finally asked.

 

“Oh, it was good.” Tiffany answered.

 

Silence followed. Taeyeon could feel eyes on her, and she looked up only to see the two girls looking at her.

 

“It was okay…” She mumbled in answer when she realized they were probably waiting for an answer from her. Her eyes went back to her lap, and she felt like a puppy that had done something bad when she was sitting on the floor with her head bent down.

 

“Okay…anything new?” Sunny once again tried to strike up some sort of conversation.

 

“No.” Tiffany answered and shook her head.

 

“No…” Taeyeon answered as well. She felt like if Tiffany wasn’t going to share any news about her life, she might as well stay quiet about hers as well.

 

“Well…that sounds like a lot of bull coming from you two.” Sunny suddenly said.

 

Both Taeyeon and Tiffany looked shocked at their friend. Sunny didn’t seem to back down, she looked from Tiffany to Taeyeon, and then back to the girl sitting next to her on the bed.

 

“You,” Sunny started and pointed at Tiffany. “Have something to tell Taeyeon, and I know it because you’ve told me about it and you said you wanted to tell her about it, but didn’t know how because Taeyeon acted like she was pissed.” Sunny said.

 

Tiffany looked shocked at first, but later let her head hang low as she knew it was no use protesting. When Sunny didn’t get any argument from the girl, she turned back to Taeyeon.

 

“And you have something to tell as well. Because I’ve known you long enough to know when something is going on in your life.” Sunny said.

 

Taeyeon knew it was futile to argue against the girl. She just nodded her head, prior to let her gaze fall to the floor. She heard Sunny let out a satisfied hum.

 

“Now, who wants to start spilling the beans? I’ve got all night.” Sunny said.

 

Silence followed her question. Taeyeon looked up from the floor at the two girls that were sitting in bed. Should she start? But she didn’t want to start. She felt awkward talking about it, she felt embarrassed. She gulped and let her head lower once again.

 

“Okay…I will start…” Tiffany said.

 

Taeyeon looked up from the floor at the girl. She noticed that Tiffany seemed shy, the girl was slightly blushing, and she wasn’t able to face her two friends, she mostly focused on her fidgeting fingers.

 

“I…have a boyfriend…” Tiffany announced. Sunny nodded her head with a pleased smile, and Taeyeon didn’t say anything as she already had expected it. “His name is Nichkhun, I met him on one of Sooyoung’s parties. He’s in university. Really nice. And he wants to meet you, both of you.” Tiffany said and looked at Taeyeon and Sunny.

 

“Well it shouldn’t be any problem, right Taeyeon?”

 

“I guess not.” Taeyeon said and shrugged her shoulders.

 

“See, it wasn’t that hard, right? Now, Taeyeon, your turn.”

 

Taeyeon felt her cheeks flush, and she suddenly understood why Tiffany hadn’t been able to face them when she had told them about her boyfriend. It was really embarrassing to tell her friends like this.

 

“Um…me and Jessica…are dating.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Finally!” Tiffany exclaimed. And before Taeyeon knew it she had arms around her. She blinked shocked and realized that Tiffany had hugged her.  She patted the overly excited girl, and hoped she would release her so she could breathe.

 

“You deserve to be happy, you know that right? And I was just waiting for you two to start dating when I found out Jessica had feelings for you, and I noticed that you cared about her. God! I’m so happy for you!” Tiffany said when she had regained her composure.

 

“Thank you…” Taeyeon said shyly.

 

“See, so no more use being pissed at each other for keeping secrets, okay?” Sunny said and looked from Tiffany to Taeyeon.

 

“Okay.” Both girls answered.

 

“Good.” Sunny looked satisfied. Tiffany was finally smiling, and Taeyeon tried to smile as well.

 

Even though she had made up with Tiffany, and caught up with what was going on in the girls life, and she had told her what was going on in her life, she couldn’t help but feel a bit bugged about that she hadn’t told the girls about everything that was going on.

 

Taeyeon looked back and forth between the two girls as they were talking, but her thoughts were wandering elsewhere. She wondered if she should tell the girls everything, about how it felt like she and Jessica seemed to have gotten more distant now, maybe having their thoughts and opinions on the matter.

 

But then, she didn’t want to burden them with her problems. What was going on between her and Jessica should be something she took care of. She shouldn’t involve her friends in it. Besides, the two girls were already carrying on their own problems.

 

And she should keep carrying her own as well.