Chapter 17

More than the heart can carry

The sound of her ringtone woke the sleeping girl up. She sent a glare towards the noisy device, letting out a yawn before she finally reached out towards it, seeing the name of the person she was supposed to meet up with later she clicked the answer button and groggily greeted the girl on the other line.

“Good morning.” Jessica’s unusually tired voice said on the other line. Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows at the sound, rubbing her tired eyes and turned to lie on her back.

“Did you just wake up?” Taeyeon asked.

“Yeah, I thought I could wake you up as well.” Jessica said.

“Oh, thanks a bunch. I don’t like sleeping at all.” Taeyeon said sarcastically. She heard Jessica laugh and it drew a small smile to her lips.

“You can’t sleep now! You’re going on a date with me.” Jessica said.

“Yeah…” Taeyeon stifled a yawn and listened to the sound of bed sheets ruffling on the other end. She heard things moving around and she found herself enjoying just listening to Jessica going about her morning activities.

“Do I need to wear anything special?” Jessica suddenly asked.

“Just wear whatever you like.” Taeyeon said and placed an arm over her eyes.

“Okay…I’ll go with a short skirt and high heels. Oh! And this top that shows off my stomach.” The blonde said on the other line.

Taeyeon frowned by the description. “That won’t be very fitting for walking around.” Taeyeon pointed out.

“But it will get your attention?”

“I think you already have it.” Taeyeon said and furrowed her eyebrows.

“I do?” Jessica sounded surprised, and Taeyeon wondered why as she thought it was pretty obvious.

“I’m not ignoring you, am I?” She said and moved to sit up in bed to not accidentally fall asleep.

“You just made my day and I haven’t even seen you in person yet.” Jessica laughed at the other end. Taeyeon blinked surprised by the statement. She found herself smiling a bit and she looked down on the covers that covered her body.

“Glad to hear that.” She mumbled. She heard a happy giggle on the other side followed by something opening and shutting and something else opening.  

“What do you think I should wear?” Jessica asked suddenly.

“I don’t know.” Taeyeon answered with a shrug.

“Black jeans or blue jeans?”

“Choose whatever you like.”

“But I wanna know what you like.”

“I don’t like anything.” Taeyeon said with a frown. She heard Jessica laugh at the other end which made her arch an eyebrow.

“Tiffany’s right.” Jessica said after she had calmed down.

“About what?”

“You have no interest in fashion or clothes.”

Taeyeon frowned when that wasn’t anything new for her, and she thought that Jessica already knew about it. “Sorry to disappoint.” She mumbled.

“No, no. You’re not disappointing.” Jessica assured. Taeyeon was a bit doubtful about it but she went with it anyway and let out a sigh and slowly got out of bed.

“When do you want to meet up?” Taeyeon asked and placed the cellphone between her ear and shoulder while she went over to her wardrobe to find something to wear.

“I’m going to take a shower and fix my camera, we can meet up after that.” Jessica said.

Taeyeon halted in her action of finding something to wear and stared in front of her while she thought of what Jessica just had told her. “How long will it take for you to fix your camera?”

“Ten minutes, why?”

“Text me when you finish showering. I’m going back to sleep.” Taeyeon said and closed her wardrobe and headed back to her bed.

She heard Jessica chuckle on the other end. “Okay, sleepyhead. Go back to sleep, I’ll wake you up when I’m done showering.”

“Good.”

“Yeah, bye, have a nice rest.”

“Thanks, have a nice shower.”

“I’ll.”

Taeyeon hung up and let her body fall limply down on her bed. A tired sigh escaped her lips and she buried her face into her pillow and placed her phone next to it so she wouldn’t miss when Jessica woke her up again.

Her body sank deeper into the mattress. Her muscles relaxed and her heart started to beat in a slower rhythm. Slumber came and soon Taeyeon was sleep again.


---


The mall was crowded with people. As excepted of a Saturday. People walked around, either in groups or in pairs. Taeyeon couldn’t’ see any lonely person on this day, except for some people that looked like they were rushing somewhere. But other than that people leisurely walked around with their friends or partners, and some with their parents.

Her gaze left the crowd of people and she looked down on her hand which was holding the phone. No text message from the girl she was waiting for, and Jessica was a few minutes late. A frown appeared on her lips and she pocketed the device.

“Hi!” She startled looked up when she heard someone greet her. The first thing her eyes landed on was a cup of coffee that was being held out towards her. Her eyes traveled up, meeting a smile and brown eyes of a blonde girl she so very well recognized now.

“I bought you coffee.” Jessica said and without needing to ask Taeyeon had gotten it explained why the girl must have been late. She grabbed the cup, mumbled some sort of thanks and kept her eyes on Jessica who took a sip of the coffee cup she had in her other hand.

She sipped on her coffee as well, pulled back at the familiar taste of it and looked surprised at the blonde who looked quizzically at her for her surprised look.

“How do you know what kind of coffee I drink?” Taeyeon asked. Jessica smiled amused and lowered the coffee cup she had been about to drink from.

“That was the coffee you ordered when you were with me and Tiffany. I figured that must be what you like to drink.” Jessica simply explained.

Observant. Taeyeon thought Jessica was really good at observing people and taking in small details about them. While she sipped on her coffee she took her time wondering if the blonde had picked up more details about her than she showed.

The thought made her slightly nervous.

“So, where are we going?” Jessica asked and Taeyeon got interrupted in her thoughts of what details about herself she could have accidentally given the girl. She blinked as she suddenly forgot where she had meant to bring the girl.

“Um…” Her unresponsiveness made Jessica giggle. She watched as the girl covered with her hand. Jessica eyes had crinkles in the corner, and her whole being seemed to be lighter as she giggled. Taeyeon couldn’t help but muster up a small smile at the sight and sound. 

“Still a bit newly awoken?” Jessica asked when she had stopped giggling.

“Y-yeah…” Taeyeon admitted.

Jessica smiled at her. The girl momentarily turned away from her to look around them before she turned back. The smile grew into a grin.

“Shall we walk around while we give your brain some time to wake up?” Jessica asked.

“Sure.” Taeyeon agreed on the suggestion.

Jessica looked pleased and when the blonde turned to walk Taeyeon followed her. They walked in silence, both of them occasionally sipping from their coffees while they looked around the mall.

Taeyeon found her gaze occasionally going to Jessica. The latter had her eyes focused on the glass windows to the clothe stores. She wondered if there was something the girl wanted to buy, or if there was something she saw that she liked.

She continued to watch Jessica in silence. The girl sipped on her coffee, sometimes smiled at strangers that went passed them. Her eyes going to a few store windows to look at the displays. It was interesting, watching Jessica like this, and Taeyeon found herself wondering what was going on inside Jessica’s head when they walked together like this.

“Have your brain woken up yet?” Taeyeon’s thoughts were interrupted by Jessica’s amused voice. She blinked and took in a grinning girl in front of her. She felt herself slightly blush out of embarrassment and she looked away from the girl and casually sipped her coffee.

“It’s awake.” Taeyeon mumbled.

“Good! So where are we going?” Jessica asked excited.

Taeyeon lowered the coffee cup. She had forgotten the original place they were supposed to go to, but she had another place in mind. Her head turned back to the blonde, catching Jessica’s expectant look.

“You’ll see.” Taeyeon said. Jessica’s smile faltered and the girl looked a bit disappointed.

“Come on, tell me.” Jessica nudged her shoulder, and Taeyeon suddenly felt amused that Jessica didn’t know where they were going.

“It’s a secret.” She said and looked back at the girl.

“I hope you’re not bringing me into some forest to kill me.” Jessica said. Taeyeon’s mouth fell open in shock by the girl’s statement and her reaction made Jessica laugh.

“I’m joking!” Jessica said and pushed her shoulder lightly.

A small smile appeared on Taeyeon’s lips as she watched Jessica grin at her. The girl’s smile changed into a gentle one and she tilted her head to the side as she continued to gaze at Taeyeon.

“What’s on your mind?” Jessica asked. Taeyeon smiled and turned away from the blonde.

“Something.” Taeyeon replied.

“Is it me?” Jessica asked amusement in her tone. Taeyeon felt her cheeks slightly heat up and she kept her face turned away from the blonde in hope of Jessica not catching it.

“Raspberries.” Taeyeon finally answered. Jessica was silent, and she didn’t dare turn towards the girl as she was afraid of how Jessica had reacted.

“I see.” Jessica finally said after seconds of silence.

Taeyeon dared to spare a glance at the blonde. She noticed Jessica wasn’t looking at her, the blonde had her gaze focused forward. No smile on her lips, no sign of any emotions at all was on the blonde’s face, and Taeyeon found herself once again wondering what was on Jessica’s mind.

She realized that Jessica was a bit hard to figure out even though the girl was so straightforward. It scared her a bit, and it left a small feeling of anticipation and excitement in her as she felt anything could happen with the girl around.  


---


Her eyes were closed as she felt the breeze blow past her, blowing her hair out of her face, messing up her bangs in the process. Her ears listened to the sound of waves hitting the shore which was occasionally accompanied with the sound of a camera shutter.

Taeyeon slowly opened her eyes and glanced to her right, watching the blonde who was crouched low, camera lifted up in front of her face and pointed outwards towards the sea.

Taeyeon smiled at the memory of how happy Jessica had gotten when she had shown her this place. The girl had complained about getting tired of walking while they had gone there, but once they had arrived Jessica’s complaints was all forgotten and the girl seemed to think the long walk had been worth it. 

Taeyeon closed her eyes again and turned her face towards the sea again. She inhaled and exhaled, feeling her mind clearing by fresh smell of the sea.

She continued standing there in the middle of the beach while she listened to the camera shuttering that sometimes sounded more distant and sometimes closer. Her eyes only snapped open when she hear the shutter sound right beside her and she realized Jessica was standing next to her.

“How did you know about this place?” Jessica suddenly asked and lowered the camera from her eye as she turned to Taeyeon.

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders and turned towards the blue sea.

“I usually go here in the summer with Tiffany and another friend. And sometimes I like to be here at night to watch the stars.” Taeyeon said and turned towards the blonde.

Jessica nodded her head, a smile grew on her lips and the blonde turned towards the camera in her hands.

“Thanks for showing me this place.” Jessica said and turned towards her. “It’s lovely.” Jessica added.

“A good place for a first date?” Taeyeon asked.

Jessica began laughing by her question. But the blonde nodded her head and turned towards Taeyeon again.

“Yes, it’s perfect.” Jessica beamed.

A small smile appeared on Taeyeon’s lips and she turned away from the blonde, her gaze going over the sea again. A strong wind blew past them again, making both girls shrink in their posture to not be affected by the cold.

Taeyeon turned towards Jessica. The girl’s cheeks was a bit red from the cold, her usually perfect hair was a bit messy now from the wind ruffling it, and Taeyeon felt the sight was a bit mesmerizing, and she found herself staring at the girl when Jessica tried to tame her blonde locks.

Jessica turned towards her when she noticed her staring. A gentle smile was beamed her way and Taeyeon felt herself momentarily stop breathing. Jessica lifted one of her hands up and reached it towards Taeyeon’s face.

Taeyeon froze in her posture when she felt the blonde’s fingers brush her bangs to the side. When Jessica withdrawn her hand Taeyeon finally snapped out of her trance as she took notice of Jessica’s beaming smile.

“It’s getting a bit cold.” Jessica noted.

“Yeah…” Taeyeon said and felt she had started breathing again. Jessica continued to smile at her, her head titled to the left and her eyes sparked with amusement.

“You usually offer the girl some warmth when she says she’s cold.” Jessica said.

Taeyeon blinked, and when Jessica’s words finally had made sense to her brain she furrowed her eyebrows.

“But you’re not the only girl here.” Taeyeon said.

Jessica laughed. It made Taeyeon’s face soften and she continued to look at the blonde who now turned back to her after she had calmed down.

“So you’re cold?” Jessica asked.

“A bit.” Taeyeon confessed. Jessica grinned and turned away from the brunette, focusing on getting her camera into her handbag again. The blonde turned back to her when she was done, smile gone from her lips and a bit seriousness was on her face.

“Let me show you what you’re supposed to do if the girl is cold.” Jessica stated and before Taeyeon had the time to react or take notice of what Jessica was doing a pair of lips kissed hers.

Heat filled her whole body. And she stood frozen as Jessica moved her lips against hers. Taeyeon felt her head spin, her heart beat fast, and she had no idea what to do.

Jessica kissed her a bit harder; her arms wrapped around her neck and pulled her even closer. She felt Jessica slightly opened and her lower lip was captured between the blonde’s teeth.

Taeyeon finally reached her hands towards the blonde. Circling her arms around Jessica’s waist and pulled her closer. She tilted her head to the left, kissing Jessica back and felt Jessica release her lip in the process.

Jessica was the first one to pull away from the kiss, her cheeks flushed and her eyes sparkling. Taeyeon was slightly panting, her head light and fuzzy. But she felt warm, surprisingly warm.

“Warm?” Jessica asked with a pleased grin on her lips.

Taeyeon nodded her head, involuntarily her lower lip between her teeth and felt the raspberry taste there again. She noted her lips were a bit swollen, but it felt good. Really good.

Jessica grinned and tilted her head to the left as she observed her.

“So…are we going to stand here for long?” Jessica asked.

Taeyeon realized she still had her arms around Jessica and she quickly removed them and blushed embarrassed. If Jessica had minded, she didn’t show it. She continued to smile, letting her arms that had been around Taeyeon’s neck fall down to her sides.

“I’m kind of hungry. Do you wanna grab something to eat?” Jessica asked.

Taeyeon only nodded her head in answer. The blonde smiled pleased and turned and began walking away from the beach. Taeyeon didn’t follow and watched as the blonde walked further away from her, the lingering feeling of Jessica’s arms around her neck, her lips on hers, and the smell of Jessica’s shampoo were clouding her mind and keeping her rooted to her spot.

Jessica stopped when she noticed Taeyeon hadn’t moved. She turned towards the girl, an adoring smile on her lips when she saw Taeyeon standing in the same position as before.

“Did I daze you to the point of forgetting how to walk?” Jessica laughed.

Taeyeon felt herself blush again and she turned away from the blonde. Her ears were filled with the sound of Jessica’s joyous laughter, and she felt herself blush even more at the sound.

The feeling of a hand grabbing hers made her snap her head towards Jessica again and she noticed the blonde had walked back to her. A gentle smile was on Jessica’s lips and the blonde tugged lightly on her hand.

“Let’s go. I don’t want you to root yourself to this spot.” Jessica said, and with the help of the other girl Taeyeon began to move her feet.


---


The warmth from another person’s body, fruit smelling shampoo, raspberries, pink lips formed into a smile, brown eyes sparkling and crinkling in the corners as laughter escaped the pink lips.

It was all Taeyeon could think about, and it made her unable to focus on the school assignment she was supposed to do. It frustrated her, she couldn’t control her mind from wandering to the blonde girl she had spent the day with. The thoughts about the girl left a nervous fluttering in the pit of her stomach.

It was strange. It was such a long time ago since she had felt like this.

Her lower lip was captured between her teeth; her eyes left the computer screen and went to the cartoon of food next to her on her desk.

They had went to get food, but something had come up and Jessica had had to leave, so they just took the food with them, and now she was left with both hers and Jessica’s food.

She had said she didn’t want the food but Jessica had insisted. Giving her the cartoon before she had went off, pecking her cheek before she disappeared in the crowd of people on the street, leaving Taeyeon blushing and longing for her to come back.

Longing for another person. That was also new.

A sigh escaped the brunette’s lips and she leaned back in her chair, closing her eyes and titling her head back till it rested against the back rest. Blonde hair and pink lips appeared in her mind and she snapped her eyes open, feeling herself blush as she caught herself thinking about Jessica. Again.

She shook her head, hoping it would clear her mind. A sigh escaped her lips and she looked at the unfinished assignment on the computer screen. The assignment would never get finished at this rate.

She felt a small regret of going to the date. Things were going fast. Way too fast, like the maximum speed of Shanghai Maglev. Taeyeon felt she had no control of how fast things were going, and she was beginning to panic.

But at the same time she felt a small feeling of excitement. A feeling that made her want to stay on this fast train. To see where it takes her.