Chapter 24

More than the heart can carry

The brunette girl’s eyes were focused outside the window of the classroom. Following the clouds that sailed along on the blue sky, it was her last class for the semester, and I was also the last class before the performance. Once the class ended it would just be a few hours left till she would be standing on stage in front of the whole school.

 

Hopefully. Unless her partner didn’t show up.

 

The thought of Narsha not showing up made a frown appear on Taeyeon’s face. She tried to not think about it to not get discouraged. She needed to focus on the performance, making sure she wouldn’t mess up once she was standing on that stage.

 

“Thank you.” Taeyeon snapped out of her thoughts and turned towards the classroom where she saw her fellow classmates had begun packing their things and saying goodbye to each other and the teacher.

 

Taeyeon blinked confused as she hadn’t heard when the teacher had dismissed the class. She looked around and noticed the students who usually were seated in the seats around her had already left.

 

The realization of being able to leave made her quickly jump up from her seat. She grabbed her books and quickly put them in her backpack, not caring if the notepaper she had inside of them would get crumbled.

 

Once the backpack was on her back, she grabbed the guitar she had beside her seat. When she had all her things she turned to leave the classroom. When she almost had reached the door she got stopped by someone calling her name.

 

“Kim Taeyeon.”

 

She halted in her steps and spun around towards her teacher who had called her. Thinking it was because she had spaced out most of the last class she prepared herself for apologizing for her behavior, but seeing the smile that was forming on the man’s lips, she began believing that wasn’t the case.

 

“Good luck tonight.” The man said and patted Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

The girl blinked surprised. It took her a few seconds to register what the man had said, and once she had she bowed towards him.

 

“Th-thank you.” Taeyeon said.

 

The man only smiled at her and scanned the room of leaving students.

 

“I’ll enjoy seeing you performing.” The man said. “So I really hope you’ll be on that stage. Otherwise I’m wasting my time. I could have caught an earlier flight to Hawaii if it wasn’t because of that.” The man said.

 

Taeyeon felt like her backpack had become much heavier after the teacher’s words. She nodded her head, and for the teacher’s sake she hopped that she would actually perform, or she would probably waste more than one person’s time.

 

“I hope I’ll perform as well.” Taeyeon said.

 

The teacher smiled. “Okay, run along now. I’m sure you have a lot to prepare. See you tonight.” He said and nodded towards the door.

 

Remembering she had to get to the music room Taeyeon turned no her heels and exited the classroom. But because of her speed and not making sure no one was about to enter the classroom she felt her body crash into someone else’s as she had gotten out of the classroom.

 

“Gosh, if I knew you were in that much hurry to hug me I’d have come earlier.”

 

Taeyeon felt her face heat up when she recognized the voice. She took a step back from the blonde girl she had crashed into on her way out of the classroom. Her gaze was focused on the floor to not show the girl how embarrassed she was.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t see you.” Taeyeon mumbled an apology.

 

“Yeah, because with my blonde hair I’m soooo invincible!” Jessica joked.

 

“Sorry.” Taeyeon mumbled out again.

 

“Hey, I’m kidding with you. It’s fine.” Jessica said.

 

The words made Taeyeon able to look up at the blonde girl. And when she did she noticed that Hyoyeon was standing behind Jessica. Seeing that they weren’t alone, and Hyoyeon had probably seen how they had crashed into each other, made Taeyeon blush even more and she turned away from the two blonde girls.

 

“I was going to see if you wanted to go to my place before the performance. Me and Hyoyeon are gonna eat and change clothes. You can come too if you want.” Jessica said.

 

Taeyeon didn’t want to pass on the offer, but she knew she had stuff to prepare for the performance. She smiled apologetically at the girl as she met Jessica’s gaze.

 

“Sorry, I have sound check and other things to do before the performance.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Oh, it’s okay. It can’t be helped.” Jessica said and shrugged her shoulders.  “I can walk you to the music classroom at least.” Jessica offered with a smile.

 

“Ah…sure.” Taeyeon said.

 

Jessica and Hyoyeon turned around and began walking after Taeyeon as she went towards the music classroom. The two girls were silent, and Taeyeon wondered if it was because they wanted her to talk, or if they for the first time since she had gotten to know them didn’t have anything to talk about with each other.

 

“Are you nervous?” Hyoyeon suddenly asked.

 

Taeyeon blinked confused about the question.

 

“Nervous about what?” Taeyeon asked. Her eyes momentarily left Hyoyeon and looked at Jessica. When she looked at the blonde, she felt a bubbly feeling in her stomach and her knees felt weaker. She gulped and looked away from the blonde girl.

 

“The performance! What else did you think?” Jessica exclaimed and lightly bumped Taeyeon’s shoulder. The brunette stumbled slightly to the side from the impact. She laughed meekly at the action, but she felt herself unable to look at the two blonde girls as she felt her cheeks blush in embarrassment.

 

“I’m not nervous about the performance.” Taeyeon mumbled.

 

“Really? You’re amazing. I’d faint going up on a stage like that.” Hyoyeon said.

 

“Yet you dance on bar counters every weekend.” Jessica pointed out.

 

“Only after a few shots! I’d never do it sober.” Hyoyeon said and pushed Jessica’s shoulder.

 

Jessica responded to the push with a push back. And the two girls continued pushing each other around as they walked to the classroom. Taeyeon didn’t mind it, she was focusing on not being nervous around the blonde girl walking beside her.

 

When they had reached the music classroom they noticed Narsha was waiting outside. Taeyeon saw the waiting girl smiled upon seeing her, but the smile seemed to instantly fade.

 

“Hi, Taeyeon.” Narsha said with a smile directed at the brunette girl. But when she looked at the two blonde girls who had accompanied her her smile seemed to fade.

 

“Should we start preparing?” Narsha asked and turned to Taeyeon again.

 

“Sure.” Taeyeon said and turned towards Hyoyeon and Jessica. When she looked at the two girls she saw Jessica also had lost her smile. A confused expression appeared on her face and she turned back to Narsha before she turned back to Jessica again.

 

“You two will go to your place, right?” Taeyeon asked and looked at Jessica.

 

“Yeah.” Jessica said. The blonde seemed to look at Narsha, but quickly turned back to Taeyeon, a smile forming on her face. “I’ll see you tonight.” Jessica said.

 

To Taeyeon’s surprise she felt the blonde grab her arm, and in the next second she felt she was engulfed in a hug. She was completely paralyzed when she was in Jessica’s embrace, and she continued to be dazed after Jessica had broken the hug.

 

“Take care. I’ll see you later.” Jessica said and gave Taeyeon’s right cheek a kiss.

 

The brunette was left paralyzed and shocked as the two blonde girls left. She was too dazed that she didn’t notice the exchange of glares between Jessica and Narsha as the girl left, and even if she had seen it, she probably wouldn’t understand what it was about.

 

“Let’s go.” Taeyeon felt Narsha grab her hand and drag her inside the classroom. Taeyeon turned away from the girl that dragged her towards the way Jessica had gone, but the blonde was already out of sight, making a small feeling of disappointment appear inside the brunette.

 

 

---

 

 

The sound check was done. They had managed to practice two times before they had to start getting things ready on stage for the performance. And now they were sitting on chairs next to the stage while people who were going to watch the performance were entering the auditorium.

 

Taeyeon was staring out into space. Not minding her surroundings. She and Narsha would be the first ones to perform. They were the opening act had the teacher said.

 

The brunette girl let out a sigh. She wasn’t feeling nervous, but she had a feeling something bad would happen for her to not be able to perform anyway, even though it was just a few minutes before she had to get up on stage.

 

She shifted in her seat, only to get surprised when her eyes got covered and all she saw was black. She quickly removed the hands that had been covering her eyes and turned around, only to come face to face with a short haired blonde girl who was smiling at her.

 

“For someone who is going to perform you look rather down.” Sunny pointed out.

 

Taeyeon relaxed in her seat. “Well…I…” Taeyeon didn’t know what to say, she just looked away from Sunny, who know had turned to Narsha.

 

“Hi, Sunny. Childhood friend of Taeyeon.” Sunny introduced herself to Narsha.

 

“Hi, Narsha. I’m Taeyeon’s partner.” Narsha introduced herself.

 

“Perform partner.” Taeyeon added when she saw the slight quirk of Sunny’s left eyebrow. After her addition to Narsha’s introduction Sunny got a knowingly look on her face.

 

“I’ll go find a seat. Good luck.” Sunny said with a smile and patted Taeyeon’s head.

 

Taeyeon let out a sigh and slumped further down in her seat. She watched as more people entered the auditorium. Family members, teachers and students all entered and were taking a seat. She was quite surprised as it had arrived more people than she had expected. But it didn’t make her nervous. The amount of people didn’t make her nervous.

 

“Nervous?” Taeyeon heard Narsha ask.

 

“No.” Taeyeon said and shook her head.

 

“Really? I’m so nervous that I’m shaking! Look.” Narsha showed Taeyeon she was shaking by holding out her hands towards the girl. Taeyeon took a look at the hands and noticed they were slightly trembling.

 

“Good thing you aren’t the one playing the guitar then.” Taeyeon said and turned away from Narsha to continue her observation of people entering.

 

“Yeah. I’m amazed that you aren’t nervous. You got nerves of steel!”

 

“No. It’s nothing special…” Taeyeon mumbled. Her eyes had now found two blonde girls who had entered the auditorium. Taeyeon let her eyes follow the girls as they walked to two seats in the front row.

 

Realizing that they would have a good spot to see her perform now Taeyeon felt the jittery feeling of nervousness creep up onto her. She gulped and started opening and closing her hand in nervousness. She breathed in through her nose and out through .

 

A room full of people didn’t make her nervous. But one single person could make her knees weak. And she found that strange. She found it strange that one person could have that effect on her.

 

“You two should get ready. We are starting soon.” Taeyeon heard the music teacher whisper to them before he left to get ready to get on the stage.

 

Taeyeon stood up from her seat. Her hands were sweaty, and she wiped them on her jeans before she grabbed her guitar. She gulped again and looked at Narsha, the girl had her eyes closed and was mumbling something incoherent.

 

Taeyeon exhaled and turned towards the stage she would soon get up on. Seeing the stage she felt the nervousness slightly disappear. She slowly inhaled and exhaled again, closed her eyes and tried to focus on the feeling of the guitar in her hand.

 

“Give room for Ms. Kim and Ms. Park.” Taeyeon heard the music teacher introduce them. It was their queue to get on the stage.

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath and took the lead up on the stage. The lights momentarily blinded her, but she quickly got used to the light directed at her. She mustered up a smile, she found Sunny in the audience and nodded towards the girl, she noticed that Minwoo also was there. She continued her way towards the stool she was going to sit on and took a seat on it.

 

When she was seated she noticed she sat right in front of the seats Jessica and Hyoyeon were seated. She mustered up a smile towards the girls, she saw they smiled back at her, and once she saw Jessica’s smile, she wondered what she had been nervous about in the first place. Seeing the girl watching her she felt courage fill her body. Her smile got wider and she turned towards Narsha who had taken her position by the microphone.

 

Narsha introduced herself and what song they were going to perform. When the girl was done Taeyeon waited about two seconds before she began counting down, and once the countdown was finished, she started to play, and Narsha began singing.

 

And once she had started playing the notes, she had completely forgotten about being nervous or who was watching her perform.

 

 

---

 

 

There were a lot of people. Too many people. Taeyeon couldn’t find anyone she knew from the mass of people who was now talking to the students who had performed. Narsha had disappeared when the girl’s parents had showed up. But Taeyeon had no parents who was watching her, but she had friends.

 

“Taeyeon!”

 

She spun around when she heard her name being called. And just in time for hand to land on her shoulder.

 

“Good job! You played well!” Sunny said with a smile. “I’m sure you showed the music teacher what you got.” Sunny said and gave Taeyeon’s shoulder a squeeze before releasing it.

 

“Y-yeah, maybe…” Taeyeon said and scratched her head.

 

“Good job, kiddo!” Minwoo who also had come to greet her said and patted Taeyeon’s back. “I’ll see you at the restaurant tomorrow I suppose?” He said.

 

“Yeah, of course.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Good. I’ll have to go now. See you around.” Minwoo said and waved to the two girls before he left.

 

Taeyeon’s shoulders slumped and she continued to look around. There was no sight of a blonde girl except Sunny, and that slightly disappointed her.

 

“Will you go home?” Sunny asked and stopped her search.

 

“Home? Ah…yeah. I’m just going to speak to the teacher and get my guitar and I’ll go.” Taeyeon said.

 

“Okay, go. I’ll wait for you.” Sunny said and motioned for Taeyeon to go.

 

Taeyeon did as she was told. She glanced over her shoulder one last time before she jogged behind the stage. As she turned a corner she felt her body crash into someone, she took a step back from the person, and to her disappointment it wasn’t the girl she had bumped into earlier that day.

 

“There you are! I was looking for you.” Narsha said with a smile.

 

“Really? Why?” Taeyeon asked but she continued to walk but now with Narsha on her side.

 

“Because I wanted to talk to you.”

 

Taeyeon found her guitar. She picked up the instrument that was in its case. A confused expression appeared on her face and she turned to Narsha.

 

“Talk about what?” She asked.

 

She noticed the girl stepped closer to her. Her eyebrows rose as she noticed the distance between them decreased.

 

“I’ve felt this connection with you for the past days as we have played together.” Narsha said. “My dad used to say music brings people closer.” She continued.

 

“Okay…” Taeyeon felt a slight discomfort as Narsha seemed to get closer and closer to her. But she had no way to go as there was a wall behind her.

 

“Taeyeon,” She met the girl’s gaze. Narsha was now standing so close Taeyeon felt like the girl’s body was pressing against hers. She shifted uncomfortably in her position.

 

“I like you.” Taeyeon’s eyes widened in surprise as Narsha closed the distance between them.

 

But all her heart and mind screamed for was a blonde girl with raspberry tasting lips.