Chapter 6

More than the heart can carry

A yawn escaped the brunette girl’s lips but she instantly covered as she noticed someone walk past her. Seeing the displeased expression on the teacher’s face as he had caught her yawning she mentally cursed herself and pushed herself off the wall she had been leaned against and followed the music teacher inside the classroom.

She already knew it was no point in taking a seat so Taeyeon walked towards the acoustic guitars, grabbing one of the instruments and headed for the door. She glanced towards the teacher, and seeing he didn’t make any sign of stopping her she made her way out.

She quickly made her way to the room she usually sat in and made herself comfortable on one of the chairs inside the room and started to tune the guitar. Slowly strumming the strings and listened to each sound the made, carefully adjusting the tune of each string to make them match.

When she was done she began playing random chords to warm up her fingers. Her eyes went to the door of the room to check if her partner was on the way, not seeing anyone she went back to focus on her playing instead.

Feeling her fingers was enough warmed up she brought out the music sheet for the song and began playing it. Because she had already memorized the song she now could play without looking at the sheet, but she kept glancing at it just to make sure she was playing right.

After she had played the song the second time, and she was in the middle of it on her third, time the door to the room opened and she stopped playing and looked up at the girl that had entered.

“My bus was late due to a traffic accident.” Narsha said and put her handbag on the table and began to take off her jacket. Taeyeon watched as the girl took a seat on a chair in front of her, waiting for her to gather herself before she opened to speak.

“Well, at least you came.” Taeyeon said and shrugged her shoulders. She looked at the girl that was slightly panting, probably because she had been running. A smile formed on Narsha’s lips and she grabbed her handbag and began rummaging through it.

“I knew you wouldn’t get angry.” Narsha said with a smile.

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow at the girl’s statement. How could she know she wouldn’t get angry after just meeting her one time?

Taeyeon watched as Narsha brought out the music sheet she had gotten from her, and her thoughts about how Narsha claimed to know something about her were dismissed and she went back to focus on what they were supposed to do.

“Have you been practicing at home?” Taeyeon asked as she was playing a random tune on the guitar. She saw Narsha’s smile faded and a guilt stricken expression appeared on her face. Realizing what it meant Taeyeon frowned and averted her gaze to her fingers instead.

“I was supposed to do it, but I was busy with other school things, and I also had my part-time job to think about.” Narsha explained.

Taeyeon nodded her head and looked up at the girl. “I understand. It can’t be helped.” A relieved smile formed on Narsha’s lips and Taeyeon averted her gaze to the music sheet.

“We should begin practicing.” Taeyeon said and glanced at the other girl.

“Yeah, we should.” Narsha said.

Taeyeon inhaled and exhaled before she started to play the intro to the song. She looked at Narsha that had her eyes on the music sheet, and when it came to the part for her to sing she started. Pleased that the girl hadn’t come with any excuses to not being able to sing Taeyeon nodded her head and focused on her playing.

She occasionally looked up at Narsha to make sure the girl was okay. She once met gaze with the girl and got a smile in response from her. Taeyeon didn’t mind it and focused on her playing until they had played through the whole song.


---


Taeyeon managed to get through the music class without much troubles, Narsha had been pretty cooperative and hadn’t come up with excuses or asked her to do that many things besides what she needed and it had been a relief to her.

On her way to her next class she bumped into Tiffany that just had arrived at school. The girl looked tired, the sight made Taeyeon raise an eyebrow as she followed Tiffany to their lockers.

“You look tired.” Taeyeon pointed out as they stopped by their lockers for Tiffany to get her books and get rid of her jacket. The girl let out a tired grunt which made Taeyeon raise an eyebrow again but didn’t question Tiffany further as they went to their class together.

When Tiffany was in a bad mood Taeyeon knew it wasn’t going to make it better by questioning her about it. It would annoy her more and worsen her mood. Instead she let Tiffany be in a bad mood and wait until she had calmed down and eventually tell her what’s been up.

The two of them didn’t say anything to each other during class. While Taeyeon tried to actually concentrate on what was going on she found Tiffany more distracted and focused on filling her notebook with doodles.

She tried to not mind the other girl and hoped that Tiffany would get in a better mood once they had gotten through the early morning hours.


---


She looked up from her notebook when she heard the lunch bell ring. The students started moving, not giving the teacher a chance to finish talking. A sigh escaped her lips as she continued to watch the middle aged man that tried to remind the students of the homework before they had left the classroom.

She saw him sigh when the last student had left the classroom. With his shoulders slumped he turned towards her and the remaining girl, a spark of delight appeared on his face upon seeing not everyone had left.

“Kim, Hwang, remember the homework I assigned to you last time is due till next.” He said with a smile.

“We got it.” Taeyeon replied. He nodded his head, mumbling a bit to himself before he started gathering his own things.

Taeyeon turned to the girl next to her. It looked like Tiffany had gone to sleep with her face buried into her arms that were folded on top of the desk. A small sigh escaped her lips upon the sight.

She grabbed her notebook and reached it towards the other girl. The notebook poked Tiffany’s side, and seeing the girl squirmed by the touch a small smile appeared on her lips.

“Hey, should we go and get something to eat?” Taeyeon asked.

“What is there to eat?” Tiffany mumbled into her arms.

“I don’t know. Food?”

Tiffany laughed. The sound drew a small smile to Taeyeon’s face and she continued to watch the other girl as Tiffany straightened up in her seat, stretching her arms above her head and finally turned towards Taeyeon.

“Let’s go.” Tiffany said and stood up from her seat.

Taeyeon followed the girl and together they went to the school cafeteria. Taeyeon could tell by Tiffany’s expression that the girl had recovered from her bad mood she had come to school with this morning. And Taeyeon was relieved over that fact as she didn’t have to watch her words or actions that much as it was no risk of making Tiffany snap at her.

They grabbed one tray each as they entered the cafeteria and soon both of them had food and could find a place to sit. Taeyeon followed behind Tiffany as they made their way through the occupied tables in the cafeteria and soon enough they had found a table far in the back, closer to the teachers’ table, which students usually avoided to sit near.

But none of them minded which table their seats were close to and took a seat by it and slowly began to eat their food in silence. Taeyeon ate without much thought and she watched as Tiffany poked around in her food with a grimace on her face.

“I’m sure the food won’t bite back if you eat it.” Taeyeon pointed out when Tiffany still hadn’t eaten anything. Tiffany looked up at her, still with a grimace on her face. Her eyes returned to her plate, poked the food some more before she looked back at Taeyeon.

“It doesn’t look delicious.”

“It isn’t delicious.”

“Yet you’re eating it.”

Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders and continued to chew on the food she had in . “I’m not so picky.”

“I’m not picky either.” Tiffany said with a frown.

“You’re picky, Fany.” Taeyeon said a smile growing on her lips when she saw Tiffany frown. The brunette looked down on her food before she looked up at Taeyeon again. It looked like she was going say something but her expression changed and her gaze shifted to something that seemed to be behind Taeyeon.

“Is it okay if we sit with you?” Taeyeon heard someone ask behind her. She looked behind her and noticed Jessica and Hyoyeon stood there. She looked back at Tiffany and noticed the girl nodded her head in answer and the two blonde girls took a seat by the table with them.

“So, what’s up?” Jessica asked and looked back and forth between Tiffany and Taeyeon.

“Nothing much.” Tiffany answered. Taeyeon noticed Jessica looked at her as well and she shrugged her shoulders in answer and hoped it would be enough of a respond for the blonde girl.

She went back to eat her lunch and listened to Hyoyeon and Jessica that started talking, and asking Tiffany about something she had no idea what it was about. She felt it was better to not bother about it and just let the trio talk.

“Sorry, but what’s your name again?” Hyoyeon suddenly asked and pointed at Taeyeon. Taeyeon blinked surprised when the question had been directed towards her. She looked at Tiffany that looked back at her. She averted her gaze back to Hyoyeon that still seemed like she was waiting for an answer.

“Taeyeon! Her name is Taeyeon!” Jessica finally exclaimed and threw a napkin at Hyoyeon. “I’m sorry, but she’s drunk 24/7 so she tends to forget things.” Jessica apologized and explained on behalf of her friend.

“I’m not!” Hyoyeon defended herself and threw the napkin back at the girl.

“Okay, not every day of the week but most of the days.” Jessica corrected herself.

“You’re exaggerating.” Hyoyeon said and frowned.

“No, seriously, she’s drunk most of the time of the week.” Jessica said and turned to Tiffany and Taeyeon.

Taeyeon could only glance at Tiffany, the girl seemed to not bother about the two other girls bickering and Taeyeon figured that Jessica and Hyoyeon must be doing this on a daily basis. She turned around and met Jessica’s gaze, she slowly nodded her head and ate of her food in silence.

Taeyeon continued to sit in silence most of the lunch break she was spending with Tiffany, Jessica and Hyoyeon. She watched as Jessica and Hyoyeon bickered here and there, and then had a serious conversation about something she thought was about a TV show, and then started bickering again. She could tell that Tiffany found the two blonde girls amusing, and Taeyeon started to slowly understand why Tiffany was hanging out with them.

Lunch break was coming to an end and it was time for Tiffany and Taeyeon to go to their class while Jessica and Hyoyeon went to theirs. Jessica said something about contacting Tiffany later and then the two pairs of girls parted.

On their way to their classroom Taeyeon could feel Tiffany looking at her. She turned to the girl, her eyebrow raised in a questioning manner, and she saw Tiffany break out in a smile.

“What do you think of them?” Tiffany asked, her hands clasped behind her back and she looked expectantly at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon sighed and she turned away from the girl. She had no idea what she thought of the blonde duo. That she had only been hanging out with them once and had just met them briefly a few times before didn’t make her do a better judgment about them either.

She turned back to Tiffany and shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know.” She answered.

She could see Tiffany wasn’t satisfied by her answer, but she ignored it and focused on getting to their classroom. Her eyes caught the sight of some of their classmates and she turned back to the girl that still didn’t look like she was letting her answer slip.

“What?” Taeyeon asked.

“You always say that.” Tiffany pointed out.

“Yes, I always say that when I honestly don’t know. You can’t expect me to have an opinion about them when I’ve just met them once. You know I need more time than that.” Taeyeon said. She saw Tiffany wasn’t pleased but she ignored it and focused on getting to their class.

“I’m gonna dye my hair after school.” Tiffany suddenly said.

“Okay.”

“My mom doesn’t want me to do it.”

Taeyeon turned towards the girl again. She noticed the same moody expression Tiffany had had this morning was on her face, she suddenly pieced everything together.

“Oh…but you’re gonna do it anyway?” Taeyeon asked a bit hesitantly.

“Yeah, Jessi is going to help me.” Tiffany said and turned to Taeyeon with a smile on her lips.

“I see.” Taeyeon replied. A pang of disappointment filled her as she had wanted to hang out with Tiffany today, make up for wasted time, or something. But seeing the girl had other plans nothing much could be done.

“You can come too you know.” Tiffany suddenly offered.

“I’ll pass.”

“How are you going to form an opinion about them if you avoid every chance you get to spend with them?”

Taeyeon was taken aback by Tiffany’s statement. She slowly turned to the other girl, she felt at loss of words. She wanted to say she didn’t feel comfortable to hang around Jessica, but that would be telling her real feelings, which she wasn’t comfortable to do with anyone.

Instead she frowned and turned away from Tiffany.

“Maybe I should get to know them a bit more before I hang with them during my spare time.” Taeyeon muttered and entered the classroom with Tiffany following behind.

To her relief Tiffany didn’t say anything. And she didn’t bring up the blonde duo issue for the rest of the day either. The two friends remained quiet during their classes until the last class ended and they parted ways. Tiffany going to meet up Jessica and Taeyeon went home to practice and do some of the never ending list of school assignments she had.