Chapter 4

The Wedding Planner

Lay threw his coat on the bed as he sprawled across the bed. He rolled to his side as he played with the ring on his left ring finger. It has been a year since he left Changsha looking for a better future. Also, it has been more than three years since he actually went out on a date with someone. Now that Kris asked him out on a date, Lay was nervous – he likes to think of it as date despite knowing that Kris wanted it to be something friendly. He does not know what he should put on. He does not know what is there to talk about to Kris.

 

Lay looked at the wedding band on his left ring finger once again. Is he cheating on Li Han if he were to go on a date with Kris? He really did not want to think of it that way but he knew it really well that they are still legally married. But who was he kidding? Even though Li Han comes home to him, Lay knows well that he just slept with another person. He reeks of alcohol and female perfume every single time he comes home. Sometimes, there are kiss marks on his neck and lip sticks stains on his dress shirts. So, if he goes out with Kris, he is not cheating on Li Han because he has been cheating on him since the time they lost their baby.

 

Lay got up from bed all convinced that he is not cheating on Li Han and he has every right to date someone other than his own husband. Anyway, who is there to stop him because Li Han is not here to stop him. He is all the way in Changsha banging other females. He removed the wedding band and placed it in the bedside drawer together with all his memories of Li Han. Lay made his way to his wardrobe and picked a suitable outfit for a date with a supermodel slash businessman.

 

 


 

Kris reached his apartment with the same annoying grin the moment Lay agreed to meet him for dinner. He sat down on his bed as he took his alpaca in his arms. Kris hugged it tight to his chest. Finally. A date with the beauty he met a year and two months ago. After so long, he is finally going on a date with someone. Kris was not a socialite back in school. He keeps more to himself that the ladies labelled him as the cold yet charming guy. He dated one of the girls once but it didn't turn out well because he was one who never talked. He is a listener. He went out with her because she begged him to. The break up wasn't as painful as he thought it would be. After the break up, Kris was never one who would make a effort to ask someone he likes. However, Lay was different. Since the first time he laid his eyes on him, he knew that the younger was different. That was the first time Kris actually made a move on someone.

 

After lounging on his bed for half an hour, Kris decided that its best he get out of his apartment an hour earlier. He made his way to his walk-in closet and took out all the clothes that he has that he deemed as suitable for a date. Kris laid them out on his bed as he changed into them. After so long, he then decided for a white button down shirt that hugged snuggly around his torso and khaki pants. He took a leather jacket together with him – just in case the weather get cold and Lay needs some warmth. Oh he could just pull the smaller man closer to himself Kris thought.

 

 


 

Kris planned to only be an hour early for the date but he ended up being an hour and a half early. Kris drummed his fingers against the steering wheel as he drove around town – what other way to pass time by right? Kris took the time to decide what they can do on their first 'date' together. He drove pass the park but he didn't think its a good idea because its overrated. Also, the only park in their neighbourhood is a little inappropriate for their first date – Kris would rather not think about the reason. He passes by a cinema and concluded that a movie date sounds good. He parked his car and walked into the building to buy the tickets.

 

“Hi! Is there any slots left for Safe Haven?” Kris asked as he took out his wallet.

 

“I am sorry Sir but all slots are fully booked. Would you like try watch another movie or place a booking for tomorrow's time slot?” The woman asked.

 

Kris pondered on the suggestion. He would love to place a booking for tomorrow's time slot but he has work to complete. Also, tomorrow would be a little too early for a second date. Kris then opted for the former, however, much to his disappointment, the movies available are not date worthy. He assumed that Lay would not enjoy a Disney or an action movie right? Kris thanked the young lady and walked off to his car. He sighed as he realised that this would most probably Lay's worst date ever. But he also thought that dinner would be nice because that way he could get to know Lay better.

 

Before heading to Lay's apartment, he decided to stop by a florist. Kris thought what other way to impress your date other than a bouquet of roses right? He took his time deciding on the colours and number of roses that he needs but he settled for something as simple as 12 stalks of red roses which screams nothing but I love you. Kris chuckled to himself realising that he is turning cheesy since the time he met Lay. He drove of to the younger's apartment. He was 15 minutes early but nothing beats more than being early for a date right?

 

He rang the door bell of the apartment and had a shock of his life when he sees Lay in nothing but a bathrobe wrapping around his slender body. Kris sputtered when he sees the other in that state. Of all things that Lay would want to do right now is to appear in a bathrobe in front of him. He bet that Lay is not wearing anything underneath and he swore that he would take the opportunity to strip him off it. Kris shook his head violently to stop himself from thinking of Lay in a ual way.

 

 


 

 

 

Lay ran to the door when he hears the bell. It couldn't be Kris right? Because it is 15 minutes too early for their date and he does not remember that a huge parcel is arriving today. He opened the door and his eyes doubled the size when he sees Kris in a white button down which accentuate his toned body. The khaki pants hugged the other's slender legs and the whole outfit screams hot. It just made him realise how under-dressed he is that night. He blushes involuntarily when he realises that he was staring at Kris – the older doing the same.

 

Lay was the one who broke the silence between the two, “Umm. I am not ready yet. But you can come on in and take a seat,” he said awkwardly.

 

Kris tried to get a grip of himself because he has to look cool and attractive in order for Lay to fall for him, “Here. I got you roses. Hope you like it,” Kris said as he handed the bouquet to Lay.

 

 


 

Once they are ready, they proceed off to the restaurant that Kris has book for the both of them. Kris tried making conversations with Lay to which the younger only replied shyly. It was a first for him because when he met Kris for Chanyeol's wedding planning, he was not a single bit shy. Was it the effects of being asked out for a date? Or was his charms rubbing off on Lay that caused the younger to blush and stutter unconsciously? Kris would steal glances at the latter once in awhile and he swore that he can never take his eyes of his milky chest. Lay just had to wear that tank top that reveals most part of his milky white skin. Kris bit his lips once in awhile to stop himself from drooling because heck the chest looks inviting. He would do anything to sink his teeth into the skin and leave red, purple bruises all over it.

 

“Are you okay, Kris?” Lay asked as he pulled his jacket closer.

 

“Uh. Yes. We've arrived actually,” Kris replied as he tried to hide his embarrassment. 1 point lost for getting caught ogling your date.

 

They sat down at the corner of the restaurant while they waited for their orders. Kris can never tear his eyes from the younger. It was just like the time when they were in the plane a year and two months ago. Since he found it rude to stare, Kris decided that starting a conversation is the most appropriate thing. “So, Lay. Tell me more about yourself,” He started with a smile.

 

“Myself? There's nothing interesting to tell.” Lay replied shyly. Because there is too much secrets that I can never reveal about my past. “Why don't you ask me questions?” He suggested.

 

“Let's start with an easy one. How old are you this year?” Kris asked.

 

“I'm 24 this year and my birthday falls on October 7,” Lay replied.

 

“Oh cool! I'm 25 this year and my birthday falls on November 6,” Kris replied as he thanked the waiter who served them their food.

 

Both men then got to know more about the other as time pass. Kris learned that Lay grew up in Changsha together with his family and friends. Lay did not even mention about being married. Kris also learned that Lay came to Seoul to start a new life and also to pursue his dream as a wedding planner. When he was asked why did he chose Seoul instead of doing at his hometown, he just simply replied that Korea has more to offer. Lay learned that Kris grew up in Vancouver, Canada but he do go back to China to learn more about his roots. Lay was amazed that Kris multilingual. He has the ability to speak in English, Chinese, Korean and Cantonese. Over time, both men learned more about one another like their hobbies, likes and dislikes. Kris always take note of the things that Lay enjoys because it would be beneficial for him on their next date.

 

As the night pass, it starts to pour. Lay pouted when he sees the rain pouring and Kris assumed that the younger must have have something that he likes to do. Despite the rain, Kris chose that being in the restaurant is the best choice as they learned more about each other. Jokes were exchanged during the process which made Lay smile. Kris noted how the dimple on Lay's right cheek appeared when he starts smiling and that would be something that he might like over time.

 

However, there is one thing that bother Kris throughout their date. Why was Lay crying the time they met on the plane? Did he even remember that we met once? Most importantly, was Lay married once and still is? It disturbed him even more when he noticed that the ring is not on his left hand that night.

 

“Hey, do you mind if I were to ask you something?” Kris asked to which Lay nodded in response. “Were you married once? Or you know engaged or something? Or you have someone back in Changsha?” He asked as he tried as much as possible not to make it sound offensive.

 

Kris, however, regretted it immediately when Lay visibly tensed from the question. He started fiddling with his fingers and his eyes reflected the same thing that he sees a year ago.

 

Fear and desperation.

 

“I'm sorry if I were to ask you something personal. Its okay if you don't want to answer it. Take your time. We just met right? I shouldn't be rushing things.” Kris comforted him as he placed his bigger, warmer hands over Lay's smaller ones.

 

Lay flinched when Kris hands touched his as memories of Li Han flashed through his head. He needs Baekhyun to comfort him right now. He pulled his hand away. “Can you bring me back to my apartment?” Lay asked timidly.

 

Kris fulfilled his request and paid their bill. He drove back to Lay's apartment. His heart filled with regret the moment he brought up the question of being married. Once they arrived at the underground carpark, Lay scrambled with the seatbelt as he tried to leave before Kris caught up to him. Kris got out of his car and grabbed Lay's hand but he backed away quickly.

 

“Just let me walk you back to your apartment,” Kris begged.

 

Lay allowed Kris to follow him back but he made sure that he kept a distance between him and Kris. His arms unconsciously wrapped around his body for protection. Once they were in font of the door, Lay turned around and politely thanked Kris for the date.

 

“Look, Lay. I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I didn't mean to,” Kris said as he smiled warmly.

 

Lay finally looked up at Kris as he tried to force a smile. “No. its okay. I am fine. I was just shocked.” Lay replied as he turned the knob to his apartment. “Goodnight.” He said before closing it.

 

At that moment, Kris felt like the biggest ever. He destroyed their first date. It was supposed to end with a kiss on the lips or a peck on his cheeks. He destroyed it with just one questions. However, one thing that Kris was able to conclude; Lay was married once and his husband was abusive.

 

 

 

 

A/N: soooo this will be my last daily updates. i will be back to my weekend updates because school is starting tomorrow. and i will definitely update on a weekday when i am able to. ^^

 

and look! I've gotten myself a poster. :)

 

hope you guys enjoy this! ^^

 

xoxo