Chapter 22

The Wedding Planner

Long Author’s Note ahead. ^^

 

Life got better for me the moment I stepped into college. The people I made friends with were nice. I was glad when I knew that none of them were from my village. It would be embarrassing if they knew what my mama was like. When I paid my registration fee for college, the clerk asked me over and over where are my parents? I was left tongue-tied, not knowing what I should reply them. Should I tell them that my parents are dead? Or should I just tell them that my father is the well-known politician in China right now? I chose the latter and the clerk had wide open. I told her to keep it a secret. A secret only I and the college staff knows about.

 

Classes were no different than the ones I had in my small village. I wasn't one who talked much. The people I made friends with only talked to me when they had to till one beautiful boy walked through the door. He stood in front of the class and bowed 90 degrees as he introduced himself. I remembered him saying that his name was Zhang Yixing and he came from the same village as I was. Both he and his mother moved to the more developed part of Changsha mainly because they have nothing left in the village, just like me. The professor told him to take the seat next to me because he realise that we were from the same village and we could get along well.

 

We did got along really well.

 

It did not take long for me to actually fall in love with Yixing. He was a lovable person from the start. Everyone enjoyed making friends with him. He was more like the social butterfly as compared to me. It got me wondering, why did he even stuck to me like glue? Yixing always included me whenever there were some drinking parties with some of our course mates. I was awkward at first because they did not directly invite me but Yixing insists that I tagged along. Throughout the time when we hung out with his friends, I stayed quiet as I listened to his soothing voice. I watched as the dimples appeared whenever he smiles. I watched as he tilts his head to the side cutely whenever he did not understand what is going on. I watched his every move.

 

It took me over a year to confess my feelings for him. It wasn't something extravagant because he likes simplicity. I merely took him out for dinner and we walked along the streets as the autumn breeze blew. I did not talk much during our so called date because I am a listener. When we reached the door of his apartment, Yixing smiled as he thanked me for the night. He bade goodnight but I was quick to catch his wrists.

 

“Yixing, I am neither good with words nor with actions. The time I spent with you for this whole year was something nice. I was happy to be by your side all these while.” I began as he tilted his head cutely. “I really like you, Yixing. I really do. Since the first time I laid my eyes on you. Will you be my boyfriend?” I asked.

 

I looked everywhere but him because I have already prepared myself for this rejection. I was taken aback when I felt his arms pulling me closer by my waist as he rested his head against my chest.

 

“I like you too, Li Han,” He whispered out.

 

 

 

Not all relationships are filled with happiness, just like mine and Yixing's.

 

Throughout our 3 years relationship, we fought a lot. We fought over petty things and fought over the times when my jealousy took over. It usually ended with Yixing crying for a few days and I would spend those days visiting his shared apartment with his mother to apologise. He would come around soon enough and once he does, he would flung himself to me, punching my chest and calling me a useless boyfriend. I accepted his punches and curses whole-heartedly because that is what I am. I am a useless boyfriend, a monster husband in fact.

 

It was a month after the fight when I decided to ask Yixing's hand in marriage. It was a simple proposal that I planned together with Mrs Zhang. They invited me over for dinner when I decide to pop the question. He was caught off guard when I got on my knees in front of him after dinner. He had tears in his eyes when his hand covered his mouth instinctively. Once I asked him the question, he looked over to his mother for assurance and she could only nodded in agreement. Once again, he flung himself onto me and cried his heart out, calling me a surprising bastard. I slipped the ring around his finger and kissed him fully on the lips.

 

 

 

Our wedding was held at a church with a few witnesses. Some of whom were our friends in college and also Yixing's mother. Mama asked me where my parents were and all I could reply was that they couldn’t make it. I did not expect mama to appear during my wedding because since the time I left, I have cut off all ties with her. I haven't even heard single news from her. Is she eating well? Is she still living in that shabby apartment or is she living off some man's wealth? Is she still herself? Is she even alive? I shook my head as I thought of all the possibilities. I wasn't even sure if papa is coming down all the way to Changsha to witness his one and only son tying the knot with another man. It would be a disgrace for a politician to have a gay son. Yixing's mother gave me an apologetic look as she hugged me tightly.

 

We tied our knot safely and held the after party at a small humble restaurant. I booked the restaurant for the dinner that can house at least 30 people. It was the same night that I met some of Yixing's friends in high school and his relatives. I knew for a thing that Yixing was never close to his relatives hence the awkward atmosphere. We invited most of our friends in college to the dinner and they were shocked to know that we are actually tying the knot. They did not expect that someone like me would wed Yixing. I was lucky, I guess? Congratulatory messages and well wishes were written in the book that we prepared at the side table. I was glad that they enjoyed most of the party. It fell quiet when one question popped up: where is the honeymoon location?

 

Yixing glanced over at me as if he asked for my help. I remembered that we made an agreement that we would not go on a honeymoon because both of us are short of cash – seeing that we got married at such a young age. I smiled at Yixing as I held his hand and kissed it. I brought up my glass and tapped on it lightly to make an announcement. Once all the attention was on us, I held Yixing's hand.

 

“Yixing, I know I promised that we are not going on a honeymoon because of some cash issues. But it never slipped my mind that you always wanted to visit Japan. I have used up most of my life savings and a part of my pay for our honeymoon at Japan,” I said as I looked at him for a reaction.

 

Tears welled up his eyes as he pulled me in for hug. I mumbled a soft thank you as he buried his head deeper into my chest. Our precious moment was interrupted when I heard someone clapping loudly from across the room. The said man walked closer to the front with an annoying smirk on his face.

 

“Nice wedding, Li Han,” The man said, full of spite. I recognised the voice from somewhere.

 

“Jian?” I asked, unsure.

 

“You've got it right, Li Han,” He replied with a smirk. “So, how's life for you Li Han? After leaving the village, you never bothered turning back and checked on how I was doing. You never checked on your ty mother. You even forgot the guy who has been there for you throughout high school.”

 

“What do you want?” I asked through gritted teeth as I pulled behind.

 

“I just came with news,” He said as he looked at his surroundings and realises what was going on. “Oh? Did I interrupt something? It seems like a wedding dinner to me.” He said as he laughed. His eyes darted to the figure behind me which I instinctively held him tightly.

 

“You're married, Li Han? You did not invite me? How could you?” He continued as he walked closer. “And a nice catch you got there,” He said as he gave Yixing a once over.

 

I pushed Yixing to where his mother was and held his collar. “What do you want? Why are you here?!” I said as I tried to keep my calm.

 

“Didn't I say I came with news?” He said with the same annoying smirk.

 

“Then tell me what is it,” I said as I let him go.

 

“Your mum's dead. A week ago. She took her life.” He said before leaving a paper on the table.

 

That was all it took for me to break down and cry. For the first time in my life, I cried.

 

A/N:

 

 soooo, I have a few things to rant about.

 

  1. The description of Changsha is not accurate because I have no idea how it looks like and things like that. ><

 

  1. All of you seem to think that it’s wrong for him to do that. But really, Li Han has some kind of illness. It will be revealed vaguely in the next few chapters. I am not sure whether you guys will get an idea of his illness but hopefully you will. The illness that I am going to portray is based on personal experience and there is no right or wrong to it. You can research about it once it is revealed. J

 

  1. I bet all of you have heard about the Baekhyun and Taeyeon scandal. And if any of you followed me on twitter, you would have seen and read all my rants. Ps: I know I will get a lot of hate after this and I am prepared for it.

 

  1. I don’t support them and I am not giving them my well wishes but I am just gonna support them. Because to think of it, I have no rights over their feelings. And no, I am still not going to support them. I find their relationship a weird one because I always sees it as one where the senior who dotes on the junior a lot.

 

  1. Because I was so depressed about it, I talked to my friend about it and she somewhat came to a that there is a motive behind this sudden scandal. Yes, its true that both of them have been close lately. But don’t you guys find it weird that SM immediately confirms the relationship? Try looking back at the other scandals, when it first came out, SM tries their best to hide it? But when it comes to this scandal, they immediately confirm it? My friend thinks that MAYBE Taeyeon really did have a scandal but SM uses Baek to cover it up. And SM also knows that if whatever news about Taeyeon, comes up, everyone would believe it because she is a lovable person. Isn’t it weird to you? I am very sure of it that there is a motive behind this and SM is not going to reveal it. I bet they are laughing at our asses now because we believed them.

 

But it is purely up to you guys to believe it this theory or not but it is just a piece of my friend’s mind. ^^

 

  1. And, we still have to live with the fact that EXO rumoured scandals are bound to surface because once they are successful, they would have enough money to start a family. And they are bound to get married and start a family. This happens to everyone. So no matter how much we ship our OTPs, we still have to keep in mind that they have to start a family too and their partners will never be one of us.

 

Damn. That was a long rant. But yeah, that was my opinion. Think about the last part rationally. Because its human nature to think of starting a family…

 

Anyway, enjoy this chap!

 

xoxo.