Chapter 18

The Wedding Planner

Lay got out of his shared bedroom with Kris with a jacket wrapping around his slim body. He sat on the stool next to the kitchen island as he watched his mother prepared their lunch. He recovered from his cold a week ago but Kris still insisted that he stays home till he knows that Lay is well enough to be spending time in the boutique. Lay was lucky that he has set aside an empty room for him to do work from home. Lay sighed for the umpteenth time that day when he realises that he would be alone till dinner. Kris' company have just signed a billion dollar contract with China and that would mean that he won't be seeing the other often.

 

“What's wrong, honey?” Mrs Zhang asked as she placed two plates of rice on the table.

 

“I miss Yifan,” he mumbled in response.

 

“Its okay, Yixing-ah. Its normal for him to be busier since his company have gotten this contract,” Mrs Zhang explained. “When I was pregnant with you too, your papa worked more often because he wants to earn enough to support the three of us,” She explained.

 

“But papa left us when I was just 4. He died when he was on duty. I don't want that to happen to Yifan,” Lay said.

 

“Do you think Yifan would leave you because of an accident at work?” Mrs Zhang asked.

 

“No. He won't die because of an accident at work but he would die because Li Han will come and take his life away and bring me back to Changsha with him,” Lay mumbled as tears glistened his eyes.

 

“What?!” Mrs Zhang asked as she dropped the last plate on the table and gathered her son into her arms. “What are you talking about, Yixing?” She asked as worry covered her expression.

 

Lay explained to Mrs Zhang about what happened while they were in Jeju. She was shocked when she heard the news from her son. She knew that the moment they arrived in Seoul from Jeju was that they were engaged and soon to tie the knot when their child turns one. She didn't know and didn't realise that Li Han was there with a threat. Lay then told the older woman that Li Han gave him a month to actually leave Kris and follow him back home to Changsha. He didn't have the heart to leave Kris because he is carrying the other's child. The man he loves. The man who taught him to love again. He broke into tears when the realisation hit him that he has less than a week before he loses his baby or his fiancé.

 

“He's sick, mama! He's sick!” Lay sobbed in his mother's arms. “All he does in his lifetime was to bind me to him. He controls my life since the time we were married. I never felt freedom since I came here. Why is he doing this to me, mama? Why?!” Lay cried.

 

“Its okay, honey. Mama will do everything that I can to stop him, okay?” Mrs Zhang comforted her sobbing son in her arms.

 


 

 

Days pass like nothing happened. Lay clung onto Kris like he was the most precious thing to him. He professed his love to Kris almost every day. He would hold onto Kris' hand every night before he falls asleep. Whenever, Kris would get up to use the toilet, Lay would jolt awake and demand that he follow him there. Whenever Kris leaves for work, Lay made sure that he walked Kris all the way to his car and watched him drive off. Lay would text Kris every hour he is at work, telling him how their little peach is doing. He calls the other man during lunch just so they could have lunch together. He would sit by the door every evening as he waited for Kris to get home. The fear of losing Kris is beginning to eat him up alive. Lay love Kris too much to even let that happened. And for the first time in his pregnancy, he wouldn't mind losing his child.

 

Mrs Zhang watched from the kitchen as her son bade goodbye to his fiancé like he would never see him again. He peppered the other man with kisses all over his face chanting that he loves him so much. Her heart ached at the scene that she is witnessing just then. She never saw her son doing that to Li Han when the other man leaves for work. Lay's love for Kris was too strong for her to even imagine. She watches as her son leaving the apartment with Kris as he wiped traces of tears from his cheeks. He gave her a smile like he was assuring her to he would be fine. But she knows really well that that smile was just for him to convince himself that he would be fine.

 

Kris walked into the lift as he waited for his fiancé to lock up their apartment. Lay then joined Kris in the lift as he held hands with the other male. He looked down at their intertwined fingers and smiled bitterly. His gaze fell on the engagement ring that Kris gave to him exactly a month ago and tears started b his eyes. The realisation that today was the last day that he would be seeing his fiancé hit him hard. Lay let out a choked sob which Kris noticed immediately. He held Lay's face in between his hands as they stood at the lobby and caressed the other's cheek. Lay leaned into the big warm hands that he remembers by heart; reminding himself that this would be the last time he would feel the warmth.

 

“What's wrong, baby?” Kris asked, breaking Lay out of his trance.

 

“No-nothing,” Lay stuttered.

 

“This is not anything to me. This is something. Come on, baby. Tell me what's wrong,” Kris probed.

 

“I just feel thankful that we are here together.” Lay replied as he placed Kris' hand over his baby bump. “Thank you, Fan. I love you,” Lay said.

 

“I love you too,” Kris replied as he pushed the bangs away from Lay's forehead.

 

“Will you promise me that you would keep yourself safe?” Lay asked as he tried to prevent anymore tears.

 

“I promise.” Kris said. “I promise that I will come home to our beautiful family,” He continued as he pecked Lay's lips.

 

Lay watched as Kris got into the driver's seat and drove off to his next destination. Once Kris' car was out of sight, Lay broke down into tears, with his hands clutching onto his bump. It dawned on him once again that he might not see the other again. This is the last time. His child will grow up without a father; just like him. His child will grow up with a monster who would claim himself as a father, a poor excuse of a father. He felt familiar pair of arms wrapping around his shoulders as she brought him closer to her chest.

 

“Its okay, honey. Just cry it out,” Mrs Zhang chanted as she allowed her son to stain her shirt with his tears.

 

She helped him to stand up as they walked back to the apartment where they called home. But Lay can never call it home if Kris is not there with him.

 


 

 

The moment they arrived at their apartment, Lay walked to his bedroom and dived first for Kris' pillow. He inhaled the smell emitting from the pillow deeply and hugged it closer to his chest. It breaks him when he realises that after his baby is born, the only reminder that he or she will have of his or her father is the pillow that he uses. He grabbed his shirt as he broke down into another round of sobs. He thought about all the times they spent together for the past year. The time when Kris courted him. The time when he finally gave in and started dating. Their first time together, as one. The time when they found out that they are expecting their first-born. And especially the time when Kris proposed to him. Kris made a lot of plans soon after they made love that night. How he wants to tie the knot once their baby turns one – maybe on his first birthday? How he wants it to be a beach wedding – the same place where Jongin and Kyungsoo exchanged vows.

 

Lay rolled over and took the frame on the bedside table. He caressed the photo carefully as he tried to remember every single detail of Kris' features. Because he might not be seeing him ever again. He got up slowly and took out the small albums that they kept since the time they started dating. One was of their everyday life; Kris would take random pictures of him in their daily life. Lay took out one picture and blushed when he sees it was a picture of him lying half- on their bed. He blushed when he remembers it as their first night together. He flipped it behind and there it was a little note that Kris left behind.

 

April 12, 2014: Our first night together. No matter how much you'll hate this photo but I want to remind you how beautiful you are.

 

Tears brimmed his eyes as all the memories came flooding in. He remembered yelling at the other male for keeping that picture of him. Right now, Lay realises how precious this picture is to him. It will always remind him how he allowed another man embrace him and it was the same night their little peach was conceived.

 

“You were conceived on this day, baby,” he whispered as he caressed his bump.

 

Lay put away the album taking out another where they named, Little Peach. It was Kris' idea to film every single detail of his pregnancy. How he was conceived. How much he grew. Every single sonogram was kept in the album just to remind them of their little peach. He flipped the empty column of their fourth month and realises that it was time to place a picture of their next appointment together. Their next appointment, however, will just be a picture of him and the sonogram. It breaks his heart once again. His son will never grow without a father.

 

Lay put away all the albums deep in the drawers because he did not want to remind himself that three hours ago was the last time he will be seeing his Yifan. His hand felt a box behind it. He opened it and noticed that it was his and Li Han's wedding band. He scoffed. Why is he even keeping this piece of ? He has his Yifan now. He is expecting their little peach now. Why should he be keeping it? He took the box and flushed it down the toilet. He walked out of the bathroom to hear glass breaking in the living room.

 

Lay walked out of his room to see Li Han holding his mama by her arm. The older Chinese man smirked at him when he sees his tear-stained face. Li Han pushed the older woman on the floor. She hissed in pain when her hand got pricked by one of the glass.

 

“Oh! Look at what we have here? A tear-stained Zhang Yixing! Or should I say Lay Zhang?” He said. “Or Lay Wu Yixing?” He said as he yanked Lay's hair.

 

“Let me go!” Lay yelled as he tried pulling away from the older Chinese man.

 

“Why should I? So, you can call up your dear Yifan to save you?” He scoffed.

 

“What do you want with me, you ?!” Lay yelled as he tried to struggle free from the other's hold.

 

Li Han grabbed him by his chin, causing him to face him. “Oh my dear Yixing! Don't tell you forgot about our deal?” He asked.

 

“I didn't” Lay hissed.

 

“Great that you didn't darling. Today is the last day. If you don't leave him and come back to me, I would take you dear Yifan and little peach away,” He said. “But now that I think about it. Why should I only get rid of Yifan? I wouldn't want that sinful thing that you call a child to grow up calling me papa. Why don't I just get rid of both? That way, I can have you and maybe OUR child,” Li Han continued as his hand slipped up Lay's shirt.

 

“Don't lay a finger on Yifan.” Lay threatened.

 

“Are you threatening me?” Li Han laughed. “I give you till tomorrow morning. You either leave him on your own or I make them leave.” Li Han said as he pushed Lay away.

 

“Why don't you just kill it?” Lay whispered which did not go unnoticed by Li Han. “Why don't you just kill it like how you killed our child?!” Lay said as he got up on shaky knees.

 

Anger filled his eyes as he sees Lay wrapped his hands around his bump. He was about to kick Lay on his stomach when Mrs Zhang stood in the middle of them with a kitchen knife in hand. “GET OUT!” She screamed. “GET OUT BEFORE I KILL YOU!” She screamed again.

 

Li Han backed away as he put his hand up. He walked out of the door when he sees that his life was on the line. No, he was not going to get himself killed before he builds his family together with his Yixing. “I give you chance today, Zhang Yixing. But tomorrow will be the last day you'll ever see that useless excuse of a fiancé,” He spat as he dashed out of the apartment with the hood of his jacket covering his face.

 

A/N: hi guys! Im back! My projects are done and I am left with a week of school before my term break finally starts. It was nice seeing those GWS messages in your comments. My health is still the same. But yes, I would try to fight this horrible pain that I always feel everyday of my life. Thank you guys for the love and support. I love you!

 

Hope you guys enjoy this chap!

 

Ps: DO NOT. DO NOT LISTEN TO MID WHILE READING THIS CHAP! Because I was listening to it while I was proofreading it and I swear I cried a river. T.T

 

xoxo