Chapter 25

The Wedding Planner

Kris clasped and unclasped his hands as he sat outside the operating theatre. Two lives were at risks. One of it was his future mother-in-law. The other was the man he loved with all his heart. He prayed throughout the time he waited for the doctor to come out of the room to give him a good news – that both his Yixing and mama is fine and they will wake up soon. But the damaged is done. The chances of them being together with him are lower than expected. The accident is still fresh in his head. All he could remember was how his Yixing walked out of the café. He remembered clearly that the lights were red and a car just sped past the other pedestrians. He remembered how Mrs Zhang tried stopping it from happening causing both of their bodies to be hit by the car. He remembered running out of the café holding onto Yixing’s hand telling the other to hold on because help is coming. Kris definitely remembers seeing Yixing mouthing that he loves him.

 

Kris stood up when he feels someone touching his shoulder. He came face to face with Chanyeol who had a sympathetic look on his face. Baekhyun was standing not far from them. He has his hand placed over his five months bump and Kris’ heart broke at the thoughts that he might lose his forever. Baekhyun smiled over at Kris and sat down on one of the benches because he knows that its hard for Kris to be looking at him.

 

Chanyeol sat next to his spouse and Kris following after. They kept quiet for the whole time because Chanyeol knew that at that time all Kris needs was support from his best friend. Baekhyun intertwined his fingers together with Chanyeol’s and leaned over his husband’s shoulder. He caressed his bump carefully as he prayed for the safety of his best friend, his mother and their baby. The silence was broken when Kris started relating what happened before the accident. And that was the first time Chanyeol seen Kris breaking down.

 

Hours passed since both Yixing and Mrs Zhang was in the operating theatre and Kris felt like he was dying. He was starting to lose hope when the light turned off and the doctor came out. Kris quickly stood up from where he was sitting and rushed to the male, awaiting the good news. The doctor’s face was full of guilt like he made a huge mistake in his life and Kris could hear his heart breaking into pieces. Is Yixing not with him anymore? Did they lose their little peach? Did mama go to heaven? Or… did he lose all three of them?

 

“I have good news and a bad news for you, Mr Wu.” The doctor began. “And I hope that you can take it well,” He continued.

 

“The good news is that both Yixing-shi and the baby are fine and we are putting him in a medically induced coma for him to recover fully.” He explained. Kris’ mind chanted over and over again for his worst nightmare not to happen. “I am so sorry Mr Wu but Mrs Zhang is not here anymore. We have tried our best.” The doctor continued as he walked away, leaving Kris with his friends.

 

Kris’ body slid down on the ground as he broke down into heart breaking sobs. Yes, he was glad that both his Yixing and their little peach survived the accident. But the thoughts of losing Mrs Zhang because she tried to save Yixing broke him. It broke him into pieces. How was he going to inform Yixing about his mother’s death? What is he supposed to do when Yixing starts to be all depressed? The thoughts of Mrs Zhang not spending their life together got to Kris. Yixing always talked about how he wants his mother to walk him down the aisle when they tied the knot but it will never happen.

 

Kris walked into the room where his Yixing was lying and caressed the other’s face. He moved his hand to the baby bump and felt the baby moving against his palm. Tears welled up his eyes when he felt the movement. He felt like little peach was telling him that he is still together with them.

 

“I am so sorry Yixing.” Kris whispered. “I love you. The both of you,” He whispered as he kissed the back of Yixing’s hand.

 

 

 

 

Kris decided that he should have Mrs Zhang’s body buried before Yixing woke up because he wouldn’t want her body to start decomposing once Yixing woke up. He knows that it would be difficult breaking the news to his fiancé that he lost his mother during the process but he thought it would be better to give the older woman a proper funeral. It was simple and quiet funeral attended by both his parents and the Parks. Kris kept in mind to visit her every single day and inform her of Yixing’s condition in the hospital.

 

Kris spent the next few days in the hospital, by Yixing’s side. His days are quieter now that Yixing is not beside him. He wakes up to an empty bed. He wakes up to no one whining about how he should not leave for work. Lastly, he wakes up with no breakfast on the table for him. It was hard at first but Kris always told himself that he is back to being a single man once again. He goes to work in the morning and visits Yixing in the evening.

 

Every single day, Kris would bring in a fresh bouquet of flowers and placed it in the vase right next to Yixing’s bed. He would read to Yixing some of the pregnancy books that the other bought for him and never got around to reading it. Once he was done, Kris would be reading to their little peach – some of the stories that he thinks their son would love. When Kris is left with nothing much to do, he would just be looking at Yixing’s sleeping face full of love and affection. Kris caresses Yixing’s pale cheeks as a tear rolled down his cheeks. Sometimes, he questions the things that they had to face together. Why? Why must it be them going through all these hardships? What did he do wrong in his past life to go through all these heart aches? Kris cried once again days after the accident and he brought the back of Yixing’s hands to his lips.

 

“I love you, Yixing. The both of you. Please wake up soon. We have a whole future ahead of us,” Kris said before he kissed Yixing on the forehead and walked out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

The weekend rolled in like any other days. Kris woke up alone yet again. He prepared his own breakfast as he stared into space. Weekends are their favourite part of the week. They would spend their time cuddling and talking about their future. Kris shook his head violently as he told himself that he has a fiancé waiting for him in the hospital – lying unconscious. Kris got ready and took his car keys to leave for the apartment. He was greeted by the familiar car parked right next to his at the side of the road.

 

Chanyeol got out of the car and greeted Kris with a brotherly hug, “What are you guys doing here?” Kris asked as he greeted Baekhyun with a nod.

 

“We’re here to visit Yixing-ge, of course!” Chanyeol said happily.

 

“Oh. You guys should have waited for me at the hospital though.” Kris said. “I still have to get Yixing flowers before heading over.” He continued.

 

“Nah. It’s okay, Kris. We just want to pick you up and drive you to the hospital. Because you look so lonely lately. So, we’re here to keep you happy.” Chanyeol explained which Kris smiled in response.

 

Kris hopped into the passenger’s s eat right next to the driver’s seat. He turned behind to greet Baekhyun once who only replied with a yawn. Kris gave Chanyeol a questioning look but to only be responded with a shrug. He assumed that Baekhyun is on one of his days again.

 

Once they arrived at the hospital, both Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked to where Yixing’s room is and Kris went to get his flowers. Kris bought one of Yixing’s favourites again. The shop owner smiled at Kris when she realises that it was the same man buying the same set of flowers yet again. He pocketed the change and walked back to Yixing’s room and he wondered whether Yixing is already awake or not. When he was about to reach the door, he heard a happy squeal coming from none other than Park Baekhyun and that would only mean one thing.

 

His Yixing is awake.

 

 

 

 

 

Yixing woke up feeling aches all over his body. He was surprised at first because he wasn’t sure where he was. However, the beeping of the machines next to him, the IV needles that were stuck to his hand and the throbbing pain in his head just explained to him that he was in the hospital. Yixing wondered why he was in the hospital but the flashbacks of what happened days ago – which felt like yesterday to him – explained why he was there. He was about to panic as he wondered where his mother was, whether his child is still with him and most importantly whether Kris is still alive. He looked down to the small bump on his abdomen showed him that he hasn’t lost their little peach and he was glad. The rustling sound of someone opening the curtains attracted his attention as he sees the nurse smiling at him. He conjured up a small smile and watched as the nurse approached his side of the bed to change the flowers in the vase.

 

She seemed to know what he was about to ask when she answered him. “Oh. These flowers are from a young and tall handsome man who comes to visit you while you were in your medically-induced coma. He visits you every single day without fail with different bouquets in hand and a book too. Sometimes, I hear him reading you a book or talking to you. I was touched watching him sacrificing all his time for you,” The young lady explained. Yixing smiled at her when he realises that Kris is still here with him and he visited him without fail.

 

“I should get the doctor here to check on you. Your husband should be here soon. He comes early during the weekends.” She explained before walking out of the door.

 

Yixing lay in bed and let one of his hand caress his bump slowly. A smile made its way to his lips as he remembered how he still has their little peach despite the impact of the accident. He was even happier when he realises that Kris is still there for him. It must be hard for him to sleep alone and not knowing when he will even wake up to see his face. Yixing was taken out of his reverie when he heard a happy squeal coming from the door and he knows it is none other than his best friend, Park Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun made his way to Yixing’s bed side as he told his best friend how much he missed him and how happy he was that Yixing is spared from the car accident. Chanyeol only towered over them as he smiled lovingly at his over excited lover. The doctor came in soon after as he checked on Yixing to make sure that he is fine. Yixing’s mind drifted off to where Kris is because he is dying to see the other – truthfully, Yixing wants to see Kris first thing when he wakes up. The room quietened down once again when Kris clears his voice – standing at the door looking more handsome than he used to be and with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

 

“I think we should leave them alone for a while,” Chanyeol said as he dragged Baekhyun out of the hospital room.

 

Kris smiled at his lover as he placed the flowers into the vase next to Yixing’s bed. He sat down on the chair and held his lover’s hand, smiling lovingly. Kris kissed the back of his hand repeatedly, like he wants to show to the other how much he misses him throughout the week.

 

“How are you feeling?” Kris asked.

 

“Good. Much better than before,” Yixing replied.

 

“How is our little peach feeling?” Kris asked again.

 

“Good. Because his baba feels well,” Yixing replied.

 

It was then suddenly Kris broke down into fresh tears again as he brought Yixing’s hands to his lips. “I miss you so much, Xing baby. Throughout the week, all I could do was to visit you and read you books and talk to you. I greeted you every day telling you how much I love you and how much I want you next to me.” Kris said. “I am glad that you made it alive, baby. Our little peach too. But baby, please forgive me for what I am about to tell you,” Kris continued to which Yixing nodded in response.

 

“Mama is not with us anymore. The car hit her more than it hit you. I think she sacrificed herself for our happiness,” Kris said.

 

That was all it took for Yixing to break down into heart breaking sobs.