Chapter 7: A glimpse into the Future's Past

Somewhere in Time

1914

I didn't get any sleep at all last night. All I can think about is the kiss I gave to Kim, I don't know how to face her now. I don't know what to do, aaarrgh! Pie, face the consequence of your decision. Wait, she's already awake? Well that's new. Pie heard Kim woke up and went to the bathroom. Oh right, mother and father are coming home today. I should be prepared as well, no wonder Kim woke up early. Pie removed the cover of her blanket and stood up, she went to her closet and looked for her best dress. After a few minutes, the bathroom door opened and Kim walked out in her new charcoal gray suit. Pie saw her and couldn't take away her eyes from Kim. Oh crap, she's awake. And why is she looking at me like that? Maybe the bruise makes me look ugly. Darn it, I should have messed up that stinky guy's face. Kim became conscious with Pie's stare and then she remembered the kiss she gave her yesterday, it made her more conscious to the point that she becomes clumsy. “Hey princess, good morning!” Kim greeted Pie to loosen the tension. “Good morning Kim!” Pie greeted Kim back with a lively tone, she didn't want things to be awkward after the kiss, neither one of them dared to open the topic. “So, how do I look?” Kim presented herself to Pie “Will it be enough to impress Mr. Mindara?” Kim fixed her hair, making her look more manly. “W-well, I think you look great.” Pie holds herself back this time. “Alright, thanks Pie. I'll go now so that you can get ready. See you in breakfast.” Kim waved at Pie and she went out of the room. Pie finally relaxed herself, she still finds it hard to admit to herself that she's attracted to Kim, she fights it with all her might. Kim is a girl Pie, and she's from another time. I can't be attracted to her, that's not normal, no one will ever accept this. Besides, I already have a fiance. If only Kim... Pie closed her eyes and opened the shower, she tries to wash away her thoughts.


 

2014

Yam has been worried sick about Kim, she has been gone for four days now. Their boss, Mr. Sukrap is asking questions about Kim and where she is, Yam just tries to cover for Kim, that she's sick and she needs to go to the hospital. She was lying in their room, she's looking at Kim's bed and is wondering were she is and if she's alright. She then lied on Kim's bed and hugged her pillow, then there was a knock on the door. “Ms. Yam, Mr. Sukrap is looking for you.” “Alright, I'll be there in a second.” Yam replied, she took a last hug from Kim's pillow and stood up. When took a step at the far corner of Kim's bed, she heard the wood creek. She raised the bed foam and found a loose panel on the flooring. Hmm, I can't remember having any damages here in the room. Maybe we just missed it. Something in her felt that she needed to raise the panel, so she did. She took out her phone and lit the space inside and then she saw a wooden box. It was covered in dust, she took it out and opened it, inside she saw an old leather brown notebook, she examined and opened it. Nothing prepared her for the content of the notebook:

Back to the Future Project

by Pie Mindara and Kim Jittaleela

Day 1, 8th of August 1914

Kim received a call from the future, from a woman named Yam at 8:45 am in the hall way to the Grand Dining Area.

 

Oh my god! This is not possible.” Yam was shocked and could not believe her eyes. Then she read on:

 

It seems that there is a wormhole connecting 1914 and 2014 in the hall way to the Grand Dining Area, we marked it with ink blots so that we can remember where it is. Kim's best theory is that the wormhole is opened by the raging storm on the night of the 6th of August 1914 and it will be opened again by a storm with the same magnitude.

 

Yam tries to calm herself, she cannot believe what is happening. Knock knock! She remembered that Mr. Sukrap is looking for her, she immediately covers the hole with the panel and the bed foam then she hides the box and the notebook under her bed. She opened the door and finds Mr. Sukrap waiting for her. “Ms. Yam, do you have a minute?” Yam was a bit startled. “Uhm, yes.” Yam replied. “As you know, we are very strict with our policies. Do you have any news from Ms. Kim?” Yam felt a chill on her spine. “Y-yes. Kim is very sick, but she will try to return to work as soon as possible.” All Yam could think about now is how to save Kim's job. “Alright, please give her our regards. We need her back as soon as possible.” “Yes, thank you sir. Oh, by the way sir, do you have any idea who this girl is?” Yam took Pie's photo and showed it to Mr. Sukrap. “Oh, that is Pie Mindara. She's the daughter of the man who built this house. Actually our employer told me her story, he said she disappeared a day before her wedding. No one has ever heard from her ever since. Some say she ran away with another man, some say she killed herself because she did not want to marry her fiance. Whatever happened to her, it's such a tragedy.” Mr. Sukrap shook his head. “Poor girl. That photo you're holding there is her last picture taken before she disappeared. And that is the only photo where she smiled.” Yam suddenly felt goosebumps all over her body. She could not believe what she was hearing. “So, when did she disappear?” Yam asked. “I think, 1914? I'm not really sure. Oh, I need to go Yam, I have to check the garden restorations.” Mr. Sukrap starts to walk. “Sir! Wait, what is the name of our employer?” Yam asked. “Mike Yupanun.” Yam nods and smiles at Mr. Sukrap, she then proceeds to the hallway to the Grand Dining Area, she looks for any marks of ink blots, then she found one, almost invisible. This might be really stupid but it's worth a try. Yam takes out her phone and dialed Kim's number, after a few seconds, it starts to ring.

1914

 

Kim went out of Pie's room and starts looking for Mrs. Jean, she took her phone with her but put it silent, her battery is almost draining, 45% left. She checks it from time to time especially when she walks in the hallway near the Grand Dining Area, hoping to receive any call or message from the future again. Kim was walking near the hallway when she realizes that her phone is ringing, it was Yam! She checked if there was anyone around, when she found no one, she quickly answers.

 

Kim: “Yam! It's good to hear from you. I'm in 1914, I time trav..”

Yam: “I know Kim, I sort of found your Back to the Future Journal. Kim, are you with Pie Mindara?”

Kim: “Huh? You found it? How? Where? Yeah, actually she and her nanny are the only ones who know where I'm from.”

Yam: “Oh..” Yam felt a bit of jealousy. “Kim, you need to go back here now. Do you have any ideas?”

Kim: “What you read is all I've got.”

Yam: “Is that so. I miss you Kim.” Yam couldn't hold it anymore, she starts to tear up.

Kim: “Hey, are you alright? Don't worry about me Yam, I'm fine here. Pie's been a good host.” Kim tries to cheer Yam up.

Yam: “Kim, there's something you need to know about Pie.” Yam took a deep breath.

Kim: “What? Is she in danger? From whom? From what?” Kim was very worried.

Yam: “I'm not really sure. I asked Mr. Sukrap about her, he said the stories were either she ran away or she killed herself.” Yam's words cut through Kim.

Kim: “Disappeared? Killed herself? No, I can't let that happen.” Kim tightened her grip on her phone. Then she heard footsteps. “Yam, I need to go. Maybe I can write messages to you in the notebook and you can read them. I don't know if its possible but that's our only choice. You can just send me a message through in my phone, in this area. I'm running low on battery, I don't think I can afford anymore phone calls Yam.”

Yam: “Alright Kim, I hope this idea of yours work. I'll try research when the next storm is coming and send it to you, and hope to god you receive it. Take care of yourself teenager.”

Kim: “Thanks Yam! Bye!”

 

Kim turned off her phone and fixed herself, she starts to walk to Pie's room but she was already there coming to get her. “Kim, father is here. I'll introduce you to him during lunch, it seems someone already told him about our incident in town yesterday, and he's pleased with you. Just be manly and make you voice really deep alright.” Kim nods and answers Pie in a really deep voice. “Yes, princess.” Then Kim winks at Pie and offers her arm to her. She did not tell her about Yam's phone call yet, she needed to concentrate on getting Pie's father to hire her. It was noon, Kim was already waiting for Pie's father in the dining room, she was standing proud, trying to be all manly. After a few minutes, Pie arrived with her father and mother, Kim bowed and greeted them and they greet back. Then Mr. Mindara offered Kim to sit with them on the table, she sat next to Pie.

Mr. Mindara: “So, Mr. Jittaleela, I heard that you're Mrs. Jean's nephew?”

Kim: “Yes sir, I came from abroad to look for a job, then I wrote to my aunt and said perhaps I could find work here.”

Mr. Mindara: “What exactly are you applying for?”

Kim: “I would like to apply as a body guard and driver to your daughter sir. I was hoping to use my skills in fighting and driving.”

Mr. Mindara: “Well, the chief of police told me earlier about what happened yesterday. And that bruise on your face is enough evidence. So, one against three? Where did you learn to fight like that?”

Kim: “My father insisted that I needed to learn how to fight so that I could defend myself when needed, he sent me to different martial arts schools.”

Mr. Mindara: “So, you can afford to go to different martial arts schools but still need a job from me?”

Kim: “Actually sir, those schools were owned by our relatives, their lessons were more like favors, sir.”

Mr. Mindara: “Very well, actually the reason we came home earlier is because of the war in Europe. It seems that Siam will be affected by that war, some of the countries that are trying to colonize us are involved in that war, some may take advantage of it and spark revolutions. Securing my family, my home and my business is my primary concern now. You came at the right time, Mr. Jittaleela.”

Kim: “Am I hired, sir?” Kim thought about World War I, she just realized that it has just started last week. Then she thought about what Yam said about Pie being in danger.

Mr. Mindara: “Yes, Mr. Jittaleela. Mrs. Jean will see you to your room, and I will provide you clothing, a uniform to make you look presentable, although I must say, you do pass for a gentleman.” Mr. Mindara shakes Kim's hand. “Now Pie, Mr. Jittaleela will stay with you, all the time, until your wedding. Mr.Jittaleela, I will speak to Pie's fiance if he will keep you as her body guard, if not, you can still work for me here,”

Kim was shocked to hear that Pie has a fiance and that she was getting married, it felt like a knife stabbed her heart, she wanted to cry but she cannot. She tried to man up and in her feelings, then she looked at Pie and said “Congratulations, Ms. Pie.” Pie was shocked as well, she noticed Kim's sudden change of mood, she wanted to protest but she cannot, she was afraid that her true feelings might show yet it tore her heart to see Kim hurting. Dreams have already passed and now, reality strikes back.