Chapter 18: Against Us

Somewhere in Time

1914

Pie looked at where her father is pointing at and found Van's personal butler and the town doctor. She felt a bit of relief and with quick thinking, she replied to her father right away. “I accidentally knocked down the mirror in my bathroom and cut my leg. Fortunately Van is here so he asked his butler to call fetch the doctor to check my wound.” Darn, I hoped I convinced him. Her father nods. “So, where is Van?” It's so difficult to lie, must think of something Pie. Quick! “Oh, he is changing his clothes. My blood got all over his clothes when he helped me get up.” Then Van suddenly walked in the room, all sweaty and panting. Pie quickly spoke before her father asks Van anything. “Van, are done changing your clothes? I'm sorry if I stained your clothes. And the doctor is here, it is very nice of you Van.” Pie looked at Van, and he already knew what it meant. 'Uh, yes. It's alright Pie, it's good that we cleaned the cut right away. But it is better if we let the doctor check it just to make sure.” Then Van turned to Mr. Mindara. “Good afternoon sir, I'm just here to visit Pie.” Mr. and Mrs. Mindara seemed convinced enough, but they felt something was not right here, they ordered the servants to take their luggage to their room and they followed. “Get that wound checked Pie.” Mrs. Mindara tolde her as she walked pass them. Finally, Pie and Van started to breathe easier.

 

Aunt In looks after Kim in her room, she noticed that Kim grunts like she is in some kind of pain, then her nose would bleed and her temperature would rise. “Pie..” Kim is starting regain consciousness. Her eyes slowly opens and scans the room. “Kim, are you alright dear? Here let me help you.” Aunt In helps Kim sit on the bed and then gives her a glass of water. Kim drank the whole glass and asked for another. She was panting and sweating as she gulps the second glass. “Thanks Aunt In. Where is Pie? And why am I in your room?” Kim asked curiously as she drinks another gulp of water. “My dear, her parents have already arrived. You were unconscious for hours and your nose was bleeding from time to time so we moved you here to hide you. What happened to you Kim?” Kim was silent, she tried to recall her dream but all she can remember was the unison voice of the three silhouettes: You are her curse.. She was meant for something better but you keep straying her from her path and which is her demise. Kim did not answer, she just shook her head. Knock! Knock! “Nana, it's me, Pie.” Aunt In quickly opend the door. Piw rushed in quickly when she saw that Kimwas already awake. Van and the doctor quickly followed. “Stay here. Knock if Mr. or Mrs Mindara is looking for us.” Van told his butler. Pie grabbed Kim and hugged her tight. “Kim, what happened? How are you feeling now?” Pie cupped Kim's cheeks. “I'm fine Pie. Don't worry about me.” Kim smiled at Pie, trying to give her assurance. “We should worry about where I can stay, your parents are here now. If they find out that I'm here you might get into trouble.” Kim tries to stand up despite feeling heavy and weak to keep Pie from worrying. “Kim, stay still. Here, the doctor will take a look at you.” Van suddenly cuts in. “Yes Kim, let him take a good look at you.” Pie pleaded so Kim sat on the edge of the bed. The doctor took out his stethoscope and puts in on Kim's chest. The doctor suddenly shifts his face on Kim. “You're a woman?” the doctor exclaimed. “Doctor, you know who I am right? I am the heir to the Yupanun shipping company. And you know who we know, right?” Van looked at the doctor with a grin on his face, then he took out his wallet and starts to pull out some cash. “There's no need for that, Mr. Yupanun. I'm just... curious.” He then looks at Kim from head to toe. “Where are you from? And why do you dress up like a man?” The doctor asked Kim. “I.. I'm from somewhere very far, and from what I've heard, it's not easy get a job here for women like me.” Kim quickly answered. “Hmm.. how about your relationship with Ms. Mindara? You two seem like lovers.” Before Kim and Pie could answer, the doctor chuckles. “Oh, don't answer that question. I don't think I want to know something as disgusting as that. Ms. Mindara, your father will be very furious and disapointed if knew about this. Such a waste, someone as pretty as you should be with a man, not some girl who wants to be a man. A woman cannot please another woman the same way a man can. The same way I could.” Without warning, Kim's fist raised up and slugs towards the doctor's face. Only then did Kim feel the wound on her knuckles, it starts to bleed and so did the doctor's lips. “You! You damn abomination! You disgusting little ! How dare you!” Kim stood up and punched his face again. “Don't you ever disrespect Pie!” Kim was about to hit him again when Van grabbed her from behind. Pie was shocked and so is Aunt In, everything happened so fast they did not have time to react. “Shin! Come in here now!” Van shouts out. “Damn it Kim, calm yourself. Mr. Mindara is here.” Van tries to put some sense in Kim's head. Then she calms down, Van's butler Shin comes in. “Take the doctor. Here, that's for your silence. And there's more coming.” Van throws thick cash at the doctor. As butler Shin raises the doctor, Van walked towards him and grabbed his collar. “If you ever insult and disrespect Pie again, you will be acquainted to the people we know. I believe I've made myself clear? The same goes if you tell anyone about what happened here.” Aunt In lead butler Shin and the doctor to the back door.

 

Pie, I'm very sorry. It's just, he was disrespecting you.” Kim explained. “I understand Kim, but you shouldn't explode like that. “ Kim nods and then turns to Van. “Van, I'm sorry too and thank you. I don't know how to repay you..” Van cuts Kim. “Just take care of Pie, I would have punched that gut myself if you didn't do it first.” Kim smiled and offered her hand to shake Van's hand. “You're a good man, Van. Thank you.” Van grabbed Kim's hand and shook it.

 

2014

Yam returned to the Mindara Manor, she quickly went to the Wormhole to send a message to Kim. She was typing when Bai suddenly taps her from behind. “Yam, what happened? Who were those men?” Bai asked. “He's Kim's father.” Yam replied. “What? That man, he seemed familiar. Oh, he's the crown prince's bastard son right? So that means Kim is..” Bai's eyes widened. “Yes, she is royalty. Well, partly.” Bai took a deep breath. “If she's royalty, then why is she working as an architect for us?” Bai curiously asked. “It's a long story, and I think Kim should be the one to tell you. But for now I must send her a message. It's very important.” Yam continues to type on her phone and then pressed send. Kim, I hope you receive this.

 

1914

Kim, Pie and Van were trying to sneak out of the Mindara manor. They all decided that Kim should stay in the small inn near the town until Oct. 24, the day when the wormhole opens again. They were walking near the back yard when suddenly the doors opened. They all became pale when they saw who opened the door. Pie held Kim's hand tight and Kim stood in front of her but Pie went forward. “Father, I can explain.”