Chapter 20: Through the Eyes of Yam

Somewhere in Time

So, this is Pie Mindara, the lady in the portrait. It is an amazing thing to meet a person who existed a hundred years ago, but what is more amazing, is that she time travelled here. Yam peeked at the door, trying to get a glimpse of the woman from the past, the woman she lost Kim to, but then again, Kim was never hers. She stood in front of a bullet for Kim, what a courageous woman. Oh.. Now I get it, huh.. Stupid Yam, she found the courage to face her feelings for Kim and now she found it again to fight for it. Courage. All I had to do all those years ago was to muster up a bit of courage and maybe, things would have ended differently. Maybe Kim felt the same way. Haiish.. My Kim, my teenager, my best friend, my love. I can't even remember why and when I started to fall for her, the change from 'friend' to 'more than a friend' love was so gradual it caught me off guard. I wish I could go back in time as well, then I would tell her how I felt. That was the right time, the right place, everything was perfect but I was such a coward. If only... Then Yam remembered Kim's graduation..

 

Flashback: One year ago

 

Alright Yam, this is it! You've been keeping this since sophomore year in high school, now is your chance.” Yam said to herself as she fixes herself in front of the mirror, she puts on light a make up and fixed her hair, then she wore a red cocktail dress matched with a pair of red heels. Then she wore the necklace Kim gave her when they were in their freshmen years in high school, a silver leaf necklace. It was Kim's graduation, due to her family problems, Kim was worried no one would come for her, so Yam made sure she would look perfect for Kim's special day. Yam took her perfume and puffed on her neck then on her wrists then she took a small black box wrapped with a golden ribbon, her surprise gift for Kim. Right before she left, Yam took a last glance of herself in the mirror. “You can do it!” Yam said to herself one last time before entering her car.

 

Yam has been in love with Kim since their sophomore days in high school. At first, Yam was so reluctant to express her feeling because she thought they were just a typical high school crush, that those butterflies in her stomach were just a phase that will pass, after all, she was not the only one who has butterflies in their stomach for Kim, there was a whole crowd of them. Yam just brushed it aside, thinking it will eventually go away, that it was just in the heat of the moment, but she have never been so wrong. As she and Kim became close, she started to see all the good in Kim, then eventually all the normal things they do suddenly start to make her heart beat triple time. By the time they were graduating high school, Yam became aware of her feelings for Kim and started to accept it. Their friendship grew stronger and they became closer.

Yam arrived at Kim's university, there were many students taking pictures with their friends, classmates and parents. Yam made her way through the crowd of proud parents and excited students to find Kim. She found Kim sitting on a bench under an old acacia tree, she was wearing a red shirt with white tie under a black suit. Kim is handsome as ever. Yam thought. Better do it now Yam! She walked gracefully to Kim and smiled at her, greeted her and kissed her cheek. “Hey teenager! Congratulations! So, you're finally graduating huh? I'm so proud of my teenager!” Yam squealed as she hugged Kim tight. “Yup old Yam! You should be proud of me, I'm at the top of the class. Hehe..” Kim smirked at Yam and then her heart starts to beat faster and faster. Now is the time Yam. Her mind told her but her body refused to follow. Her lips froze, she felt the butterflies in her stomach go round and round. “Yam, the graduation is about to start. We need to go, I'll see you there, alright?” Kim waived as she stood there, waiving like a total idiot. Damn it Yam! What is wrong with me? It was the perfect time, ugh.. Later! After the ceremony! Go Yam! She thought to herself.

 

The graduation took place in the auditorium, Yam looked for any sign of Kim's father or any of her family member but she found no one. Such cruel people, they didn't even come to her graduation, even her father. But she has me, I hope I can be enough for her. This will break the teenager's heart. Yam thought. The handing of the diploma has started, Yam waited for Kim's turn and there she was. “Jittaleela, Kimhan, Magna laude.” She and a crowd of girls clapped loudly. Kim still is a heart throb after all. Then Yam starts to think. I wonder, how many of those girls will confess to her? What if she says yes to one of them? Aaargh! Yam! I should have said it before the ceremony. Yam worried. No, I have to do it now. After the ceremony, Yam found Kim with a beautiful red haired girl. She was handing Kim a letter and gift, she could see the girl's face, all red like a tomato while Kim smiled gently with a bit of hesitation and sadness. After Kim spoke, the girl starts to tear up and hugged Kim then left. The Yam approached Kim. “My teenager, still breaking hearts aren't we?” Yam jested. “I just can't do it Yam. She's a nice girl and all but I don't like her. I just don't feel the same way, but it still rips my heart when I break theirs. I'm not cut out for this.” Kim replied. “Hey, stop worrying about it alright? You did it as gently as you could. It would be worst if you force yourself to be in a relationship with a girl you don't love.” Yam replied. Oh man, I just can't. What if she says no to me too? I don't know if I could take that kind of rejection. And what if it affects our friendship? Yam worried, “Yam, let's take a picture.” Kim said to Yam which took her from her monologue. Kim asked a classmate of hers to take a picture of her and Yam. Kim wrapped her arm around Yam which made her blush and nervous, to hide it, she made a wacky two thumbs up sign and Kim raised her other hand with the diploma. SNAP! There it is, Yam's last chance captured in a split second shot. I can't do it after all. I thought I was ready for it, ready for all the consequences but seeing that girl get dumped.. I can't take that from Kim. Maybe this is for the best, I can be happy just being by her side, even if I'm just her best friend, her Old Yam. Ever since then, Yam never tried to confess to Kim. She made herself feel content in what she and Kim have, until they came to the manor.

 

A few months ago

 

Silly Kim, crushing over a hundred year old woman in a photo. She's as good as ghost now. Jeez, I'm getting jealous on a dead person, what the heck. Yam thought as Kim admired the lady in the photo. As their first day in the manor ended, Kim took a last glance on the photo, she didn't know Yam was looking at her from the bathroom. Wow, I have never seen Kim like this. She never even had a crush since high school and now she's drooling over a dead girl. God Kim! I'm like right here, I'm alive, breathing, waiting for you to take a second glance at me. Yam sighed as she came out of the bathroom, pretending not to be frustrated and jealous. Yam lied on the bed and covered her face with the blanket, she stopped thinking about Kim's infatuation with the ghost girl and slept. The next day, they were restoring the old arch in the grand dining room, Kim saw photos of the ghost girl again which made Yam jealous and frustrated. Then, that very night, Kim disappeared. The next day, Kim called her and told her she time traveled and met the girl in the photo. Yam's heart was crushed. Back then, even if she never confessed to Kim, she knew that it will always be her and Kim, but now, her teenager is infatuated with a real existing person. Then her regrets started to pour in, for so many years she had thousands of chances to tell Kim how she felt and maybe, just maybe, Kim might have felt the same. But now, telling Kim would be pointless, she has Pie now. Fast forward, Kim came back. I looked at her, she seemed sad. That girl broke her heart, damn her for hurting my teenager. I've read it all in their notebook, she ignored her after everything. My poor Kim, my teenager. Oh, she's awake. What the? She's still looking at that damn photo? She's still infatuated with Pie after everything she did to her? Crap, I can't take this anymore. “Kim, she's from another time. It's not a long distance relationship, you and Pie do not exist in the same world.” Yam explained. Yam's words struck Kim. “Then what is the purpose of me, traveling back in time to meet her? Just a cruel joke from god, or my punishment?” Kim sighed and lied back on the bed. “Why can't you just be with someone in your own time? Why can't you just be with me?!” Yam didn't mean to say those words, she covered her lips and looked at Kim for her reaction. Crap, I said too much, but it's the truth. , I don't care anymore. Yam took all the courage she had inside her and kissed Kim. She cherished the short moment their lips connected, the lips that she have been dying to kiss, the lips that she will never ever kiss again. There it is Kim, all the feelings that I have been hiding for so many years. I love you Kim.

 

Ever since she kissed Kim, Yam never spoke about her feelings to Kim again, she knew it was futile. She would only create a distance between them and she cannot bear that. And now, Pie is in their time, it killed her to see Kim and Pie together. Seeing them was way different from hearing it or reading about it, but she wanted to support Kim. She wanted to remain by her side, doing what she's been doing for the last five years: Loving her Kim, her best friend, her teenager, her love. I stood outside the emergency room, taking a quick glance at the girl I love and the woman I lost her to. If only I could turn back time. If only I had the courage.. if only is all I have now.. Yam smiled as she turns away from Kim and Pie.

 

----------Author's Note:

Sorry if I took so long to update and if this chapter bores you. I just wanted to show Yam's perspective. I like her character, I think many people can relate to her. This chapter is dedicated to all the people who's loving someone from afar. A bit of courage could make the difference between happiness and regrets.