Chapter 2: The Storm of Fate

Somewhere in Time

2014

It was the monsoon season, the rain falls from time to time making it difficult for the restorers to work continuously. Kim and Yam on the other hand, worked their best to restore the arch in the grand dining area, the carvings were no longer recognizable so Kim searches the old photos of the house for a photo that may have included the arch. In her search, she saw another picture of the girl in the portrait, but this time, she was not smiling. She seemed sad and uncomfortable, she keeps on browsing the photos and she keeps seeing the girl. “Seems like she only smiled in that picture in the room, no wonder it was framed.” She thought to herself, without any luck, she did not find any photos that included the arch. Kim sighs, “Hey teenager, found anything?” Yam asked Kim as she sat on the scaffoldings. “No luck boss. But I did find more pictures of that girl. Hehe..” Kim chuckles. “Better watch out kiddo, you might conjure up a ghost or something.” Yam jokes at Kim. “I sure hope so! Unless we find something or someone that knows what that arch looked like back then, we'll never finish anything.” Kim replied. “And if it's any ghost, I hope it's her.” Kim whispers and smiled. “I heard that kiddo.” Yam was climbing down the scaffoldings when suddenly, she steps on a loose corner and lost her footing. She slips and falls but Kim was able to catch her, they both landed on their bottoms. “Ouch boss, you're heavier than you look.” Kim winced as she tries to help Yam stand. “Silly kid.” Yam was blushing and embarrassed as she takes Kim's hands.

1914

Miss Pie, please stay away from the windows. You might catch a cold.” the maid warns Pie as she places the tea pot and porcelain tea cups on the the table. “Your tea is ready Ms. Pie.” “Thank you, that will be all.” The maid bowed and left the room. Pie was staring blankly outside the window, she thought about what it was like to bathe in the rain. A knock on the door caught her ear, “Who is it?” Pie asked. “Pie, it's me, your father.” “Please come in.” Pie straightens her clothes and closed her window, she sat properly on the chair. “Pie, we'll have a guest tonight. Please wear your best clothes.” Her father poured tea on their cups, he sipped on his cup. “Who is it father?” Pie asked. “Van, he is the heir of Mr. Yupanun, the owner of the largest shipping company in Thailand. He spoke about his intentions to me last night, he asks for your hand in marriage.” Pie almost drops her cup. “Father, I don't want to marry yet. I still want to do many things, visit different places and I don't want to marry someone who I don't even love.” Pie hysterically explains. “Van is from a good family, he is young and he likes you. He's a perfect match for you.” Her father explains. “But father, please. I don't want to be married yet.” Pie begs her father, she did not want to a pretty face next to a rich gentleman, a decoration like her mother. “You will do as I say child! You will marry Van in three months!.” Her father angrily commanded as he slams the door when he left. Pie wept and opened her window. It's not fair, I'm not just a prize, there's more to me and father refuses to see it. Pie cries as she stares at the rain outside her window.

2014

Yam: “Hey kid, Mr. Sukrap said we should cover the arch before we leave. There might be holes in the ceilings and water might come in.” Kim: “I'll cover it, you go ahead.” Kim signals Yam to go. Yam: “You sure? It's storming and ghosts might sneak up on you.” Yam smiles and messes Kim's hair. “Darn you Yam. Come on, help me.” Kim then took the plastic covers as Yam readies the duct tapes, the storm was getting stronger, the winds were howling and thunder roars as lightnings strikes.

1914

Pie was sitting at the formal dining table in their grand dining area, there was strong storm and it kept Pie occupied. She did not want to hear her father discuss her wedding with Van. Van sat across the table and he was looking at Pie, smiling. Pie nodded and excused herself from dinner. She cannot bear it.

1914/2014

The winds were howling stronger and stronger until one of the 10 foot windows gave in and opened. A sudden gush of water and wind blew the plastic cover from Yam and Kim's grip. “I'll get it!” Kim yelled as she chases after the flying plastic cover while Yam closes the window. Kim running on wet floor as she chases after the cover. Pie was running in the hall to her room. ROAR! A thunder strikes, a flash of light blinds Pie. ROAR! A second thunder strikes and a flash of light blinds Kim which made her slip. ROAR! A third thunder strikes. Kim and Pie bumped on each other and fell.

Kim: “What the heck, Yam is that you?” Kim tries to recognize the girl she bumped too. “I'm sorry I didn't see you.”

Pie: “Who are you? Are you a burglar?” Pie nervously asked.

Kim: “What? No, I work here girl. Who the heck are you?” they both stood up.

Pie: “How dare you servant! I am Lady Pie, the lady of this manor.” Pie angrily replied.

Kim: “What?” Her senses came back to her, she looked around and she was still in the manor, yet it looked better and new, like it was built only a few years ago. Then she looked at Pie, she saw her clothes and noticed it was from a different era and Pie noticed the same with Kim. “I'm sorry. I'm..”

Pie: “What are you wearing? And why do you sound like a girl?” Pie noticed Kim's red shirt, blue jeans and black chucks. “You're not from around here are you?”

Kim: “That's because I'm girl. Yes, I'm not from here, but I sort of work here. I'm so confused.” There's no way I could have traveled back in time. It's just not possible, but the girl's clothes and manor. I must have hit my head pretty hard. Kim thought to herself, her nose bled then suddenly she collapsed. Pie was surprised and scared, she called her nanny Mrs. Jean and asked her to help bring Kim to her room. Mrs. Jean removed Kim's wet shirt “Oh, she's a girl?” Mrs. Jean and Pie were both surprised. “Please don't tell this to anyone, especially father. I want to know more about her.” “Alright Ms. Pie, but be careful.” Mrs. Jean puts a clean shirt on Kim and let her sleep on Pie's couch. The next morning, Kim woke up. “Woah, what a weird dream.” She then walks towards the bed. “Yam, I'm hungry, let's get some breakfast. Hey Yam, wake up, we have work to do.” Kim kneels on the side of the bed and tugs at the blankets. Then Pie woke up in surprise and saw Kim. They both screamed as Pie pushed Kim from the bed and covers herself with the blanket.

Kim: “Ohmigosh! It wasn't a dream! Miss, please don't shout. I won't hurt you. I was just shocked that's all.” Kim tries to calm Pie while raising both her arms in surrender.

Pie: “Alright. Who are you? What were you doing there last night, where did you come from?”

Kim: “I'm Kim Jittaleela, I'm a Restoration Architect and I'm currently working on this manor. Last night was blur to me too, I didn't know what happened. All I know is that I was chasing the cover in the hall way then a bright light blinded me then you were there.”

Pie: A bright light too huh. Pie thought to herself. “I am Pie Mindara, this manor is built by my father, ten years ago, in 1904.” She looks and talks different, like she's from another time. Pie thought.

Kim: “You mean a hundred and ten years ago, it's 2014 Pie.' Kim explains.

Pie: “No Kim. It's 1914.” Pie was shocked to hear that Kim said 2014, a hundred years into the future.

The both of them sat dumbfounded, Kim refuses to believe it but her guts tell her it's the truth. The place looked very new, and yet it was the same room she and Yam slept in the night before. Pie on the other hand was curious about this boyish girl, she was impressed that she was an architect. She wants to know more about her.

What was a hundred years apart yesterday is just a few inches apart now.