Chapter 13: Grandpa's Tale

Somewhere in Time

Flash Back

1994

A grandfather was tucking his two grandchildren to bed. He kissed their foreheads and was about to leave when the little girl called him. “Grandpa, can you tell us a bed time story?” The little girl puts on her puppy eyes, her younger brother looked at him as well. “Alright.” The grandfather kindly replied. He took a chair and placed it in between their bed ans sat. the two kids sat on their beds and waited for their grandfather to tell a story, their puppy eyes were glowing with excitement and curiosity. Then, the grandfather starts his tale:

 

I will tell you the story that our family has guarded for generations. It is the story of the the star crossed lovers who were separated by time. A long long time ago, there was a beautiful princess who lived in a very beautiful castle. The princess always dreamed of seeing the world and being free, she had a wild heart but unfortunately, she was cooped up inside her castle. Many princes from other kingdoms came to woo her but she turned them all down. Then one stormy night, a prince came to her, a prince from the future. They became friends, the princess of the past's world has grown because of the stories the prince from the future told her. It is as if she traveled the world and traveled through time. Eventually, they fell in love. They were happy, especially the princess. Alas, their happiness was cut short. There were obstacles between them, their love was cursed by the world. Fear enveloped the princess of the past, no one can accept their kind of love for they were worlds apart. Because of that, she drank an amnesia potion that made her forget her fears and the pain, and in turn, the prince from the future. The next day, she could not remember the prince from the future, she felt no more pain and no more fear. She met a prince from the past and she fell in love with him. The prince from the future tried to win back the heart of the princess of the past but unfortunately, she cannot remember the prince, she only gave the prince hollow stares. The prince tried and tried until one day, the prince's heart can beat no more, the prince decided to go back to the future. On the night of the departure, the effect of the amnesia potion wore off, the princess of the past remembered her true love and searched for the prince from the future. It was too late, the prince is already gone, the princess regretted her decision and cried for her lost love. She hoped that one day, her true love would return to her. Everyday she waited for her prince, days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months, months turn into years and years turn into decades. The princess of the past still hoped her lost love will return to her, so she waited and waited..

 

The children were both saddened by the story, especially the little girl. “Grandpa, why didn't the prince return?” The boy curiously asked. “The prince was lost, child. It is our duty to guide the prince back to the princess. One day, you will understand.” The grandfather promptly answered. Then he took a picture frame from the other room. “This is the princess of the past.” Both of the children were in awe, they cannot believe she was real.

 

May 2014

The two children were all grown up, they have forgotten about the story their grandfather told them twenty years ago. Then one day, they received a call that would change their life forever. “Mike, Bai, your grandfather has asked for you. He is dying.” They rushed to their grandfather's old manor, he was there lying on his bed, frail and weak. Bai sat on the edge of his bed while Mike took a chair and placed it next to the bed. Bai held her grandfather's hand while the rest of the family and the nurses leave to give them privacy.

 

Grandfather: “It's good to see the two of you again.”

Bai and Mike: “You too grandpa, we missed you.” Bai was almost teary eyed.

Grandfather: “Do you remember the story of the Princess from the Past and the Prince from the Future?” Bai and Mike both started thinking deep and recalled the tale.

Bai and Mike: “Yes, we do. Why?” They were both curious and puzzled.

Grandfather: “It is our duty to get them back together.” Mike and Bai looked at each other with even more confusion. “I know you may think it is an old man's delusion but they are real. The prince, she is about your age now. You must find her and bring her here, help her get back to the Princess.”

Bai and Mike: “Her?” They both said at the same time.

Grandfather: “Yes, her. The prince is a girl. As I said before, the world cursed their love. Somehow, she travelled back in time through this manor.” Mike and Bai were still in disbelief. Then their grandfather pointed at the picture frame on his coffee table. “This is Pie Mindara, she is the one I was talking about.” They were still in disbelief and they were even confused.

Mike: “Grandpa, how is that even possible? Time traveling is pure science fiction.”

Bai: “Yes grandpa, Mike is right. It is impossible.”

Grandfather: “My dear grandchildren, I do not have much time.” His voice with a hint of weakness. “Kim Jittaleela, find her. A tall girl who looks like a boy. Please, heed my dying wish. For almost a century, our family told this story form one generation to the next until it has reached your generation. The era in which Kim Jittaleela will be born. Please, believe me. Reunite them.” He took a last look at his two grandchildren, smiled at them with much hope and pride. Then he took his last breath.

 

Bai cried and so did Mike, they held on to their grandfather's hand. Since the death of their parents because of a very unfortunate car accident, their grandfather was the one who took care of them and raised them. After their grandfather's funeral, Mike and Bai decided to reflect on their grandfather's last wish. They researched about Pie Mindara and learned that she did exist, and that she was the daughter of the original owner of the manor their grandfather lived in. The things they learned about her started to make them believe about the story so they started to look for Kim. To their surprise, she does exist as well! They found her facebook page and looked at her photos, the description their grandfather said matched her. “Bai, I don't think grandpa is crazy. Maybe we ought to give it a try?” Mike looked at Bai for approval. “I guess you're right. And I would reeeeeeally like to know if she will time travel to meet Pie and how she will do it.” They both agreed and then started to research more about Kim, fortunately, she is a restoration architect and their manor needed restoration. They started to make calls. The inner child in them wanted to reunite the prince and the princess, while their older selves were curious about Pie and Kim's relationship and time travel.