Chapter 23: Family

Somewhere in Time

It was a warm Sunday morning, the smell of the freshly cut grass surrounds the entire manor. Pie woke up with Kim next to her, still sleeping and possibly dreaming, she did not have the heart to wake her up. She went out of their room to explore the manor. The place looked the same, it is as if she never time traveled to the future but there's something different about it though, the feeling of the house. Some believe that houses, especially the old ones have souls, and the soul of the Mindara Manor is old and warm. Pie went to her father's office, not much has changed except for the laptop on top of the oak table. She turned to her left and found the old bookshelf. When she was young, her father would grab one random book and let Pie read a page or two. Now, only a few of those books remained. She found an old family album. There she found photos of her and her family, she kept turning and she found her photos, she didn't smile in any of them, she realized. On the very last pages of the album, there were news paper clippings. “POWERFUL THAI ARISTOCRAT SUSPECT FOR THE DISSAPEARANCE and POSSIBLE MURDER OF HIS DAUGHTER.. Rama Mindara is now under investigation for the sudden disappearance of his daughter, Pie Mindara. Mr. Rama Mindara claims that he accidentally shot his own daughter because of a family conflict. Up to now there is still no sign of Ms. Pie, and the police are still searching for her. Mrs. Kaew Mindara insisted to dismiss her husband's claims because he may not be in the right state of mind. She explained that her husband is currently under stress due to the sudden cancelation of their daughter's engagement to shipping tycoon's son Van Yupanun. She claims that Pie is currently out of town for a vacation, but eyewitnesses insists that a gunshot and screaming were heard in the manor. The police gave an ultimatum that until Ms. Pie returns and dismisses all her father's claims, he will be under their custody. ” Pie read on and can't help but feel sick. No, father has nothing to do with this. Why did he turn himself to the police? No, I have to go back. Pie read on, she cannot help but feel guilty to what has happened to her family.

 

Yaaawwn!!!” Kim stretched her arms to reach for Pie but to her surprise, she was not there. She must have explored the manor. Kim thought. KNOCK! KNOCK! Kim quickly opened the door thinking it was Pie but it was only Yam. “Kim, there's someone here to see you.” Yam said. Kim dressed up and washed her face and brushed her teeth. She went to the living room where her visitor was waiting. When she reached the living room, Kim clenched her fists upon the sight of her visitor. A man wearing a black suit, his hair perfectly combed, his posture gave a commanding presence. “What is he doing here? He's not welcome here.” Kim said to Yam. The man turned back when he heard Kim's voice.

 

Pie was searching for Kim in their room but when she didn't find her there, she went to the living room and heard voices. She heard Kim and as soon as she was about to barge in, she realized Kim's voice was angry, she took a peek and saw whom Kim was angry with. A tall man in a black suit, she then realized, the man looked exactly like Kim. If Kim were a 40 year old man and had a mustache, that is exactly how she would look like. Pie was about to leave but then she heard them speak.

 

Kim: “Yam, he's not welcome here. What is he doing here?”

Yam: “Kim, I am your friend and you know that my loyalty lies with you but you need to hear him out.”

Kim: “NO! There's nothing to talk about. I'm leaving.”

Yam: “Kim, please. He is your father, he is your fa...” Kim cuts Yam.

Kim: “Never ever say that. My only family is you, Pie, your parents and mom.”

Yam: “Kim..”

Mr. Jittaleela: “Yam, it's alright. Thank you, dear. Can you give us a moment please?”

Yam left the room and found Pie behind the wall listening. “Why is Kim angry at her father?” Pie asked Yam. “Well, it's a long story. And I think we're about it now.” Kim and her father starts to speak.

 

Kim: “Why are you here? What do you want?”

Mr. Jittaleela: “I'm here to apologize Kim. I want to rectify the things that I've done.”

Kim: “Mom's dead. There's no way you can rectify anything, and honestly, I don't want you to. I don't want anything to do with you. By the way, where's that pig you left mom for? How's her pretty face?”

Mr. Jittaleela: “You know I left her the moment your mother died. I never contacted her ever since. Kim, I am truly sorry for everything. If I could go back, I'd do it right. I should have been there when your mom died, it should have been me not you. To be honest, we got off easy. That scar on her face, it is nothing compared to what you and your mom went through. Especially you. Disowning you was not my choice but the King's. There was nothing I could do about it.”

Kim: “Heh.. You do not deserve to be with mom on her last moments. For six months, mom was battling cancer. And can you remind me again what were you doing back then?” Kim waited for her father to answer. Mr. Jittaleela just looked down in shame. “You were cheating on her! She was dying and you had the nerve to cheat on her! Then when I ruined that 's face, grandpa disowned me? Yeah, some family.”

Mr. Jittaleela: “Kim you almost killed her, you could have ended up in prison and dishonored His Majesty’s name. Disowning you was the condition for her silence and for not pressing any charges. Kim, please listen. I am truly sorry, I know I can't take those things back but please, let me make it up to you know. His Majesty has allowed you to be a part of the family again.”

Kim: “And why would you want that? Besides, why did His Majesty suddenly want me back in the family?”

Mr. Jittaleela: “The truth is, I'm the one who wants you back Kim. I begged His Majesty and he allowed it, because I don't have much time left. Kim, I have cancer.”

 

Kim felt dry up, her bowels go up and her sweat turn cold. All of a sudden, an image of her father teaching her how to ride a bike and carrying her on his shoulders suddenly flashed as if someone or something pressed rewind. The fear she felt when she found out her mother had cancer has paid her a visit again. She then realize, no matter how much she loathed her father, she still loves him and cares for him deep down. After all, he is family.