Chapter 28: Somewhere in Time

Somewhere in Time

August 28, 2015 Friday

 

Kim, Yam and Zee were all busy preparing the manor for tonight's charity auction ball. It was a tradition of their company to hold grand balls for charity and art. The chosen venue was the Mindara Manor. It's one of the western-architecture-inspired mansions that still stands today, rich with culture and history for most of its furnitures and decoration date back more than a hundred years ago. The main event, which was the auction will be held in the ball room in the west wing. The artifacts in auctions consisted of antique swords, buddha statues and masks which all dated back to almost 250 years ago. There were paintings as well, depicting ancient buddhist culture. All were curated by Kim herself. The manor was cleaned thoroughly and decorated beautifully. 3 o'clock pm., an hour before the start of the event. The chandeliers were all beaming like the sun, the band plays as the guests pour in. The living room area, where the piano is, was locked, as well as their own personal rooms including the office. Kim didn't want those parts of the manor to be touched. The garden on the other hand was in full bloom as well. The lamp posts were all lit, giving light to the beautiful flowers planted everywhere, tents were set up in case the weather decides to crash the party.

 

Kim checked on the last minute preparations of the catering and the items to be auctioned before she formally welcomes her guests, the 1% of the society which included some of her uncles, aunts and cousins from the royal family. Kim's stress was already up her head, the fact that some of her royal family members were coming added to that. This was the first time she will host a grand ball so she wanted everything to be perfect. Her heart was beating fast as the time ticks sooner to 4 o'clock, she went to the powder room to recompose herself and to release some of the tension. She looked at the mirror and fixed her tie. She was wearing a three-piece tuxedo, a two-buttoned single ed front coat with subtle black stripe that covers her milk-white custom shirt dotted by black pearl buttons, topped by a black vest and bow tie. It's a personal preference, wearing such clothing gives her a sense of elegance and power, like a super hero's mask, it conceals the “ordinary, scared Kim” and shows the “confident, commanding and charming Kim”. She turned her neck left and right, wiggled her arms and then gargles. When she looked back in the mirror, “confident Kim” reflected back. She went out of the powder room and found Zee fixing herself as well. She was wearing a six-buttoned black coat, topping her jet black custom shirt accented by a thick white tie. “Where is Yam? I'm about to welcome our guests.” Kim asked. “I knocked on her door about 30 minutes ago, she said she'll be out in a minute. Well, I guess she meant thirty.” Zee jested. “Let's go get her, I can't wait anymore.” Kim pulled Zee to the stairs, when they were about to climb, Yam appeared at the top of the stairs like the rising sun. she was wearing a champagne gold strapless gown, with diamonds on her neck glittering like the stars. Zee's jaw dropped at the sight of Yam. “Dude, she looks so.. so.. so beautiful. Has she always looked this way?” Zee tugs at Kim's arm. “What? Yeah, she did. So?” Kim gave Zee a grin. “How come I never saw this before?” Zee asked. “Maybe you were not looking.” Then Kim turned to Yam. “Old Yam, wait there, I'll help you down.” Kim said, she was about to climb but Zee grabbed her by the arm. “Let me, Kim.” She started to climb towards Yam. “Hey, you look.. uhm.. bea..nice tonight.” Zee struggled with her words. She held out her arm to Yam. “Why are you being nice? You sick or something?” Yam suspiciously asked. “What? I've always been nice to you.” Zee replied. They all went to the ball room to formally welcome the guests.

 

Kim stood up to the dais then on the podium. “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to our 9th annual Charity Auction. 'Innocence and Beauty' is the theme of tonight's event, it also represents the two main beneficiaries of tonight's auction: the children and the arts. My father has always loved children, my mother said to me, that it was one of his traits that she loved most. He has been raising money for charity since he was young, even up to his last breath. He loved the arts. To him, they represent a nation's soul. It's past, present and future. During his last months in this world, he learned that art helps children with cancer. Though, it may not heal them, art gives them a sense of comfort and hope. We saw children in the cancer ward painting altogether like in kindergarten, most of them were terminal cases but they all looked happy. They drew super heroes, their family, friends, pets and so on. For a moment, they forgot that they were sick and dying, a moment of happiness can mean so much to a sick or dying child. So tonight, let us help them not only by sponsoring medicines and medical services, but by giving them a moment, no, more moments of happiness. Thank you.” The guests applaud and cheered for Kim, they were all touched by her speech.

 

At 4:30 pm, the auction began. By 6:30 in the afternoon, the last piece was being auctioned, an old oil painting by P.M.J. dating about a hundred years ago. Kim was shocked to see that. I don't recall curating that painting. The painting features the hallway near the Grand Dining Area, there was thin white line diving it, a girl and boy were sitting against the walls on opposite sides. They were both trying to reach one another's hand but the line separates them. “Next item, an oil painting titled Somewhere in Time by an unknown artist P.M.J. Price starts at 15,000 Bhat do we have a 16?” The auctioneer announced. “16!” a man behind shouts. “16, do we have a 16,500?” the auctioneer announced. “16,500!” “17!” the people seemed enticed with the painting without realizing the scene was from their host's home. “17, do we have a 17,500?” the auctioneer asked the guests. “20,000 bhat.” one of Kim's cousins announced. Kim looked at the painting and thought No, it's mine. “20, do we have a 20,5? No? 20,000 going once, going twice...” the auctioneer was about to smash his gavel when.. “FIFTY THOUSAND BHAT!” Kim exclaimed. The guests became quiet and all looked at Kim. “Fifty thousand, do we have 55? No? Going once, going twice, SOLD! To our beloved host, Ms. Kimhan.” Kim then proceeds to the dais to claim her price and to announce that dinner will be serve at 7pm. “Zee, come with me. Yam, please entertain our guests for a moment.”

 

Kim and Zee went to the living room. Kim removed the protective plastic off the painting. “Did you curate this? I'm certain that I didn't. I would definitely remember this.” Kim said. “No, you were the one who picked the items that were to be auctioned, I just authenticated them.” Zee replied. “So, is it.. real?” Kim asked. Zee examined the painting, she checked every corner and detail. “I'm not a hundred percent sure, but this is could be real. Look at the canvas.” Zee flips the painting back. “The canvas is yellow, almost brown, this indicates aging. And the wood it's attached to, see how it's dark gray, almost black? They used this kind of board back in the late 1800s to the early 1900s. But I cannot be really sure, I need to examine it more and know where this came from to be sure.” Zee said. “P.M.J. Who's that?” Zee asked. “Pie Mindara Jittaleela.” Kim answered. “Whoa.. here we go again. How did this..” Zee paused. They heard the piano play but there was no one there, the tune was unclear and it stopped right away. They looked at each other and checked the piano, it was still, untouched. They looked at each other again. “Yeah, I think Yam is calling us to dinner.” Kim said. Then a thunder claps, rain began to fall and the lights flickered on and off. “ Yeah, I heard Yam too..” Zee said. They were about to walk out of the living room when suddenly, the piano started playing again, this time, the tune was clear. {here's what's playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zqXz4fO0hI} Then a second thunder clapped, the lights flickered again and the sound of the piano was louder and closer. Kim's heart beats faster and faster by the second for she knew what is coming next. Or whom is coming next. A vision of a person playing the piano was becoming visible. The old clock's bell sounded, it was seven p.m. August 28, 2015. Exactly a year ago, at the same time, at the same manor, Kim traveled back to 1914. Then the third thunder clapped. The piano stopped playing and Kim looked the pianist. “Kim!” Pie, the pianist exclaimed as she ran towards the love of her life. Kim caught Pie and held her tight, tears ran down her face as she cherished the moment when she and Pie reunited.

 

----------------->Author's Note

So, here we are guys. They are finally reunited. The music in the link is Somewhere in Time by John Barry (my second favorite music, first is Clair de Lune) from the movie of the same title. Yes, it's where I got the inspiration for my story. Let's all just pretend that the music/song was composed during Pie's era for the sake of the story.:) So, what do you think of this chapter? We're almost at the end. Thanks for reading. :)