Chapter 14: Almost There

Somewhere in Time

1914

Father, I have decided that I will not marry Van. He is a very nice and capable man but I do not love him. Please listen to me first before you feel any anger or disappointment. First of all, I am not a prize waiting to be claimed. I have a soul and it yearns for freedom and adventure. I do not want to be some rich gentleman's wife, just following him wherever he goes. I am capable of doing something else, something more than that. I want to forge my own life, I don't want to depend on you and your wealth forever. I want to see the world, I want to make you proud with my own achievements. Secondly, I am in love with Kim.” Pie gathered all the courage inside of her to tell all these things straight to her father. She figured that being afraid will only hinder her from her happiness and dreams, and most of all, Kim. Her heart was pounding, her body was cold as ice yet there she could feel sweat. She looked at her father, eye to eye. She wanted him to know that she was dead serious. Her mother looked with much shock, she didn't speak. Hey eyes were wide, yet she felt a hint of disappointment and disgust with her last words. Her father still did not utter any words, he sat still and looked at her, examining every inch of her face. His hands were curled to a fist, it was shaking. His veins were popping from his temple as his face starts to redden. There was deafening silence, Pie could almost hear her heart's pounding. Inside she was trembling with fear, the cold chill has taken her but she has to do this. She puts on a calm yet strong figure, she did not want to back down. Then she could see her father's lips parting, she took a deep breath and waited for her father's reply.

 

2014

The restoration work on the manor was almost done, they were on the finishing phase and they were way ahead of schedule. This worried Kim, because she might not be able to go back once they finished their work. She tried to work slowly, she researched about time travel at night and keep reading Pie's notes for her. Pie wrote about her day, how she misses and Kim and that she is waiting for her to come back. Kim really wanted to reply to her but there was no way to send any message to her time. She just held the notebook and hoped that Pie knows that she is reading every word of Pie's messages. Then one night, she checked their notebook. What Pie wrote shocked Kim:

 

Kim, I've thought long and hard about the things you told me. You were right, I am the only one who can say yes or no to anything that involves my life. I am responsible for my own happiness. I need to be brave for myself so that I can reach my dreams and I need to be brave for us so that I could be with you. I'm sorry, I was such a coward. From now on, I will be strong and brave. I will tell father tomorrow. Please pray for me, grant me courage and strength. Please come back to me Kim.

 

This worried Kim so much, she prayed for Pie and for the day of the storm to come closer. She wanted to go back. Pie needs her now more than ever, but the atmosphere of the newly restored manor reminded her that her days in this place are numbered. The next day, Mr. Sukrap informed them that their employer was coming today to check on their progress. She needed to speak to her employer, she thought, but what can she say to convince him to make her stay? There was nothing, everything was perfectly restored. Kim sighs. She was losing hope. She sat on the floor and rubbed her eyebrows. “Kim, Mr. Yupanun wants to speak to you.” Mr. Sukrap shook her, she nods and stood up.

 

She went to the room where Mr. Yupanun was, it was in the office in the west wing. She knocked on the door, a beautiful young woman opened the door. “Mike! Look, she's here!” The young woman yell with much excitement which confused Kim. She entered the room. “Oh my god, it really is her, Bai.” Mike exclaimed. Now Kim was really confused. Me? What the hell are they talking about. Are they really my employers? “Uhm, Mr. Yupanun, you asked to see me?” “Oh, yes. Please sit down. We have much to talk about. This Bai, my elder sister.” Kim could see the excitement in their faces. “Kim Jittaleela. Do you know this woman?” Bai took a picture frame and showed it to Kim. It was Pie's smiling photo. Kim suddenly became nervous. Did Yam told anyone? Damn, it's not possible. Should I deny it? Kim thought, she didn't answer she was silent. “Kim, Pie is waiting for you.” Bai's tone was serious, yet it was filled with much pity. Kim was still silent, she did not know what to say. “Kim, your love story has been passed down in our family, generation after generation up to me and Bai. At first we could not believe it until we found you. So please Kim, we need to know if it is true.” Mike explained about the tale of the Princess from the Past and the Prince from the Future their grandfather told them. Kim was in disbelief. “Yupanun, are you Van Yupanun's descendants?” Kim blurted out. “You know Van Yupanun?” Bai asked. “Yeah, I met him a few weeks ago. Or, a hundred years ago.” Kim answered. Well, Mr. Romantic is not so bad after all. “Yes, we are his descendants and for some reason, he made sure that your story will be passed down up to our generation so that we can help you reunite with Pie.” Bai replied. “Kim, Pie's waiting for you. Go back to her.” Bai added and Mike nodded. “I know Ms. Bai, but the restoration is finished. The storm will not come until next week and I won't be here by then. I need the storm to open the Wormhole.” Kim explained. “Oooh, so there's a wormhole here that is opened by a storm.” Mike was enlightened. “We'll allow you to stay here until the storm.” Mike said. “What about your wedding?” Kim asked. “Oh, that? It was just lie. Hehe..” Bai replied. Kim was happy that she could stay here until the storm, she smiled and thought of Pie. Bai and Mike's childhood fairy tale was true, with a bit of twist. “So, can you tell us the real story of the Princess from the Past and the Prince from the Future?” Bai smirks.