Chapter 26: Hope

Somewhere in Time

 2015

It's now 2015, six months have passed and there was still no sign of Pie nor any movement from the wormhole. Kim's father died two weeks ago, he was buried beside her mother. Her father's lawyers have already arranged the turnover of the company to her, the board gave her two months for grieving before her training as the new CEO of the company. She spent all her time in the manor, accompanied by Yam and Zee. Zee wanted to turn a new leaf, she left behind her “illegal” ways and asked Kim if she could work for her and Kim agreed. Yam transferred to Kim's company as well, she is now one of the architects in the construction division of the company. All of them will start in two months, Yam and Zee did their best to cheer Kim up, losing her father and Pie not being able to return is taking a toll on her. And now, she's unaware of what is happening to Pie. The last pages of the journal were torn off. It looked like they were ripped many years ago, but Kim was sure that they were not when she was reading them before.

 

It was a lazy April afternoon, the sun was high, the sounds of crickets echoed in the manor's halls. Because of the extreme heat, the three were forced to wear tank tops and shorts. Kim wore her black board shorts while Zee wore her jersey shorts and Yam was wearing her short shorts. The three were sitting in an airconditoned room next to the office, watching a movie. It was Back to the Future 2. Yam and Zee were closely watching but Kim was focused somewhere else. She was reviewing some pointers for the turnover of the company, she didn't know what was happening in the movie. Then something in the movie hit Zee hard. “! Kim! I think I know why the wormhole is closed. Yam, pause it.” Zee said. Yam paused the movie and Kim's full attention is now on Zee. “So, why?” Zee rewinded the movie to the part where Doc explains to Marty why when they returned from the future, their present is different yet to others, it was their reality. Kim watched. “I don't get Zee.” Kim was skeptical. “Old Biff, gave Young Biff an almanac from the future. That is the reason why everything changed. That is the reason why the wormhole closed. Don't you guys get it? You and Pie must have changed something the past that somehow buffered the wormhole.” Yam and Kim's eyes widened. “But what is it? And how can I undo it? As far as I know, I never did anything big. Pie's portrait is a proof that I was in the past. I was there when they took it. She smiled liked that because she saw me again.” Kim said. “You're right. Do you remember when I told you that Mr. Sukrap said Pie disappeared the night before her wedding? That that portrait is the last photo of her?” Yam told Kim. “She was meant to disappear a night before her wedding. Her wedding to whom? Van? But she didn't even want to marry Van in the first place. And Van eventually married Jane, Mike and Bai are their descendants. And where would disappear to?” Kim creased her forehead. “Maybe, she was supposed to marry Van, but then she disappeared so Van married Jane instead.” Yam answered. “Oh God. I think I know now.” Kim looked down and sighed. “She was determined to marry Van before I went back to the future for the first time. But I may have unconsciously talked her out of it.” Yam and Zee looked at Kim. “What do you mean?” They both said. “Take a look.” Kim opened the journal to the part where Pie would tell her father that she refuses to marry Van. Yam and Zee read it. “I think, her portrait was supposed to be a wedding portrait. Oh my God, if I didn't write that letter.” Kim rubbed her forehead. Zee was browsing through the journal when she suddenly, the spine started to rip from the leather cover. The pages scattered all over the floor. “Kim, I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to..” Zee apologized like her life depended on it. She knew what that journal meant to Kim, it was a piece of Pie and their shared memories. Kim blankly looks at the torn pages. “I guess, it really was never meant to be.” Kim whispered. Yam tries to touch Kim's shoulder to comfort but she just shrugged her. She then turned to Zee, then Yam notices something. There was something sticking out of the back side of the ripped leather cover. Yam took the cover from Zee and opens the ripped part completely. Yam gasped at what she saw. Zee saw at too, she was shocked as well. “Kim, you need to see this.” Yam said. Kim took a glance at what Yam is holding. She gasped as well.

 

1915

“Miss Pie, here is your apple juice.” Aunt In placed the tray to the table next to Pie. “Nana, please stay for a while.” Pie said as she closed the book she was reading. Aunt In sat in front of Pie. “Alright dear.” “It's been six months Nana, the wormhole is not opening. I'm so afraid. What if it never opens again and never get back to Kim? It's wrong of me to think this, but maybe I never should have gone back.” Pie sighed. “Miss Pie, first of all, I think you did the right thing. Coming back here and saving your father is a very brave and noble thing to do. You left knowing you may never come back again. Things will work out, dear. Maybe, the right time for you and Kim is not yet at hand that is why the wormhole has not opened yet.” Pie smiled sadly at Aunt In. “We are always in the wrong time, Nana. Actually, we are not in the same time at all. I miss her so much.” Pie hugged Aunt In, she closed her eyes and a tear fell. “Hush now my dear. Everything will be alright. Things will work out eventually. Have faith in your love.” Aunt In replied. “Now dear, drink this apple juice while it's cold. This hot weather is unforgiving. Perhaps you'd like to spend the rest of the afternoon in the garden? The air is fresh and cooler there.” Aunt In said. Pie took the glass of apple juice and drank. “You're right, nana. I think it's better to stay in the garden. Please, accompany me there as well.” Pie smiled again, and this time, there was a hint of relief. Pie and Aunt In stood up and the started to head for the garden. Pie was walking when she suddenly saw something in the room near her father's office. She caught a glimpse of not only Kim, but Yam and Zee as well. She rushed in but the vision was gone. There's still hope. I need to write this to Kim. Pie excitedly grabbed Aunt In back to her room.

 

----------------------> Author's Note:

I'm back guys! Sorry it took so long, I already know the ending of my story, the only trouble is getting there.  Writer's block. Hehe.. So anyways, thank you for your patience and thank you for reading. So, what do you think about this chapter? Comments are most welcome. Thanks! :)