Chapter 11: Miscommunication

Somewhere in Time

The restaurant was quiet yet there was a young man playing the piano. Kim sat across Pie and next to Jane. The table was set for fine dining. After a few moments, the waiter served white wine, then followed by appetizer. Van, Jane and Pie were amazed when they saw Kim use the correct spoon for the soup. She really is royalty. Pie thought. Must be beginner's luck. Jane and Van thought. Then, the main course was served. Again, unaware of the eyes around her, Kim used the correct silverware for the food. Then they all looked keenly on Kim's posture and mannerisms while eating, she sat straight, there was distance between her and the table. She only cuts small portions from her meal, sips carefully and even wipe her lips with such elegance. Then she became aware of their eyes. “Is there anything wrong?” Kim asked. “Are you really a bodyguard? If I didn't know you, I'd say you were a gentleman.” Van said. “I'm no gentleman sir, my mother was a maid in a gentleman's house. She taught me proper dining etiquette so that when I'm in a situation like this one, I will not embarrass my masters and myself.” Kim replied as she sips from the wine glass. “Very considerate of your mother.” Jane said. Wow, good thing Kim is a fast thinker. Pie thought. When they finished their meal, they all went back to their rooms to rest before they prepare for the play.

 

Pie wanted to continue her conversation with Kim earlier but Van insists that they should take some time getting to know each other. When Van enters Van's room, Kim looks at them helplessly as Van closed the door. Kim just went inside her room. She untied her tie and loosened her shirt as she looks at the window. This is Thailand 1914. About a month ago, World War I has just begun. What an adventure Pie's lifetime is. The sinking of Titanic in 1912, World War I, the Great Depression of the 1920s, then World War II. Kim sighed and lied on her bed and closed her eyes. Knock knock! Kim hurriedly ran to open the door hoping it was Pie, but it was Jane, she was a bit disappointed. “Hello Ms. Jane, how can I help you?” Kim politely asked. “I know your secret.” Jane replied. Kim's hands became cold and her entire body lost its heat. Jane went inside Kim's room and sat on the couch. Kim locked the door and sat across Jane, she calmed herself. “What secret, Miss?” Kim asked. “Come on, Kim. I can see it in your face. You're in love with my friend. You're in love with Pie.” Kim felt a relief, but she cannot take it easily. She denied it. “No, I am not Ms. Jane. Ms. Pie is my employer.” Kim replied. “Kim, I can see the way you look at her. And you know what, she looks at you the same way.” Jane looks at Kim slowly. “Erm, Ms. Jane, it's not like that.” Kim still tried to deny it. “I've been watching the two of you, Pie is my best friend since childhood, I know her very well. Pie is very expressive, she cannot contain her feelings inside. When I cling on to you, I can see her fury.” Kim just bites her lips and looks on the window, then back to Jane. “Kim, she does not love Van. She loves you and I can see you love her too. But Kim, I don't think there will be any future for the two of you. You and Pie live in two very different worlds. It's not that I'm looking down on you, I actually admire you Kim, the way you speak, the way you carry yourself, you'd really pass for a gentleman but no matter how you act the part, you'll never be one.” Kim faked a smile and sighed. If only you know Jane, those are the least of my worries. I'm not even a man and I'm from the future. “Kim, I'm not saying this to hurt you or to win your heart, I just don't want you to get your hopes up. Mr. Mindara will not allow his daughter to marry someone whom he thinks is beneath him or his daughter.” Kim just nods and rubs her eyebrow. “Ms. Jane, I think it's best we rest. We have a long evening ahead of us, thank you for your concern and advice.” Kim opened the door and bids Jane goodbye, but to her surprise, Pie was just about to leave Van's room as well. Pie saw Jane leaving Kim's room, with her shirt ed and her tie loose. Pie's eyes lit up with fury. Maybe Van is right after all. Van kissed Pie's cheek and walks her to her door. Kim sighed, and closed her door. What the hell? She's letting him kiss her?

 

They were all prepared for the play, Kim stood outside her door, waiting and hoping for Pie to be the first to come out, she would like to explain what happened with Jane and also ask why she allowed Van to kiss her. Unfortunately, Van came out first and knocked on Pie's door. Pie opened the door, Kim was astonished with her. She wore a blue glittery dress with white gloves, her hair was tied, a diamond necklace wrapped around her neck and diamond earrings glisten on her ears. But all her excitement faded when she grabbed Van's arm and held it close to her. “Kim, please Jane.” Pie said as she walks away with Van. Kim just smiled at Jane and offered her arm to Jane. When they reached the lobby, their car came to pick them up. “Kim, please sit in the front. Van will sit beside me.” Pie said as Kim opened the door, she just nodded. Something's wrong. Kim thought. When they arrived at the theatre, Pie still gave Kim the cold treatment, Kim cannot speak to Pie privately because Van and Jane were always around her. She just stood at the back, looking at her and wondering what is wrong.

 

The cold treatment continued until they came back to the manor, Van stayed there for weeks and kept bonding with Pie. Kim was still clueless why Pie is doing this to her, it pains her to see them together. Her phone is dead, she could no longer receive any message from Yam. She felt lonely even when she's with Jane, she just can't understand Pie's actions. She just wrote everything that's happening in their notebook. Maybe she realized there was no hope for our relationship. Relationship? What the hell, it can't even be called a relationship. Maybe Jane is right, I never should have gotten my hopes up. I should just focus on going back to my own time.

 

Days turn into weeks, the rains start to fall again. It was midnight and Pie was in her bed, thinking about what Van said.

Flash Back (When Van and Pie spoke together in Van's room):

Van: “I know about you and Kim, I saw you the night before we left for the city. You kissed. Not only that, Kim is a woman, and she's from the future. At first I thought it was ridiculous but then as I hear you two speak.. I just cannot believe it. Pie, how could you this? She's a woman, the same gender as yours! What would your father say? And, is she really from the future?”

Pie: “Van, please don't tell anyone. Especially my parents. You don't understand, I really love Kim. And yes, she is from the future. You cannot tell anyone about that as well”

Van: “I will not tell anyone Pie, I'm not a bad guy. It's just, I hoped we can fall in love.?”

Pie: “Thank you Van, and I'm very sorry. I will understand if you will call off the engagement.”

Van: “I will not call it off. Can you at least give me a chance? Pie, you must understand. You and Kim don't have a future. Sooner or later, they will find out about the two of you. Kim is a woman, that alone is enough for your entire family to disown you and for the whole world to mock you. It will not only affect you and Kim, but you're family too. They will mock them as well. As for Kim, they may even kill her. You know how it is. And if they find out she's from the future, it's either they will dissect her or lock her in the looney house.” Pie started to think as well.

Pie: “Van, I'm planning to go back to the future with her. I never really felt like I belong here anyway.”

Van: “And leave your parents wondering where have you gone. Is that what you want? And are you even sure you can come with her, or is it even possible?” Pie's eyes started to water. He is right, but still, she loves Kim. “Pie, please don't cry.” Van wipes her tears.

Pie: “No, Van. I don't want that.”

Van: “Besides, I think Jane is attracted to her as well. It's really odd, but I understand why the two of you fell for her. Jane's father is more likely to tolerate Kim, but your father., it's impossible. Pie, I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up. You must consider everything I just told you, and you should consider Kim's safety as well. Kim will be safer with Jane, Pie.” Those words went through Pie's heart like knives. Pie knew that Van was right, but she just couldn't bear the thought of losing Kim over her best friend.

Pie: “I want to rest now Van.” Pie wiped her eyes and fixed herself. No, I can't just give up now, not after I finally admitted to myself that I love Kim.

Van: “Alright. Please, just give me chance. That's all I'm asking, and if you really cannot feel anything from me, I'll just let you and Kim be. And don't worry, you're secret will remain a secret.”

 

Then, as Van opened the door, she saw Jane leaving Kim's room. Maybe Van is right after all. Maybe Kim is better off with Jane. Then Van gave her a kiss on the cheek and walked her to her room. I'm sorry Kim, but it's for your own good. There's not much hope for us Kim. I'm so sorry.

 

Present:

Pie has thought long and hard about everything that Van said, then she realized that those things do not matter. Kim stood up for what we have because she believed in it, even when I treated her badly, she still looked at me with much hope that I will look her way again. She traveled a hundred years to meet me, and that cannot be simply coincidence. She stood up and puts on her robe, the storm was starting to get stronger. She looked at her calendar and found out it was August 28. She hurriedly ran towards Kim's room, she knocked but no one answered. She opened it and found Kim was not there, then there the first thunder roars and a bright light blinded Pie. No! Kim, wait! As soon as Pie recovers her vision, she ran swiftly to the Wormhole.

 

Kim was sitting against the wall in front of the wormhole, waiting for it to open. Goodbye Pie, I hope I'll see you again. Then Kim heard footsteps coming closer, then she could hear a voice calling her name. She realized it was Pie, she stood up and looked at Pie, running towards her. Then the second thunder roared and a bright light blinded Kim, she wiped her eyes and she looks at Pie again. She was about to move away from the Wormhole when the third thunder roared, she held out her hand and Pie touched it by the tip but it was too late. Kim vanished. Pie sat helplessly on the floor and cried. Kim is gone, it's all my fault. I never should have treated her like that, she left thinking I don't love her. She rested herself on the wall near the Wormhole, then she felt something under her. She took it out and it was a letter addressed to her.

 

2014

Kim's head was spinning and aching, her nose was bleeding and her body was feverish. She could not stand up. I have to go back. I'm so stupid! Kim tried to stand with all her might but she was too weak. She was losing consciousness, then a pair of hands grabbed her and helped her stand. Then her vision turned black.