Chapter 1: The Lady in the Portrait

Somewhere in Time

It was a typical Monday morning, Kim woke up to the sound of her 7 am alarm. She yawned, took a bath and ate her breakfast. She then grabbed her bag of tools and her back pack then she opened her second hand Toyota pick up truck and placed her things. She took out her phone and texted her workmate Yam:

Kim: Hey Yam! I'm on my way now. Are you ready? I'll be there in 5 mins.

Yam: Oh Kim! You're too early! Ugh, I'm not yet done!

Kim: Hahaha! Just kidding, I'm not even in my truck yet. Be there soon though. :3

Yam: Hey kid! I'm still your boss! Have some respect! >:(

Kim: Aryt boss maam! Coming to get you!

 

Kim drove to Yam's house which was only 15 minutes away from her apartment. She honked her horn and helped Yam load her things. “We're good?” Kim asked Yam. “Yep! Good to go!” Yam answered as she fastened her seatbelt. Kim starts the car and drove.

Yam: “It's our biggest project yet kiddo!”

Kim: “Yeah, I'm really nervous. We'll be there for a couple of months right?”

Yam: “Yep, what's wrong teenager? Afraid of ghosts? Hehe..” Yam chuckled.

Kim: “It's a hundred and ten year old house. It's as good as a cemetery.”

Yam: “Well don't worry kiddo, old Yam here will take care of you!” Yam patted Kim's head.

After a three hour drive, they finally arrived at their destination. An old manor that belonged to a prominent family in Thailand. It has 10 foot gates and walls surrounding the entire estate which was enormous as well. The manor itself was made of stone, marbles and wood yet time has worn out its beauty and the vines grew on the walls. The field manager, Mr. Sukrap welcomed them and toured them around the house where they will be working mostly. Scaffoldings and lights are already set up and the other workers are there as well.

Mr. Sukrap: “Alright, the owner wants this house in shape in less than three months for his wedding. He allowed us to stay in the east wing's rooms.” He lead them to the east wing and shows them their room. “Ms. Jittaleela, here is your room and Ms. Klaudiom, your room is just across Ms. Jittaleela's. You can unload your things and come on down for dinner.”

Kim: “Uhm..” Kim was reluctant to speak.

Mr. Sukrap: “Is there a problem Ms. Jittaleela?”

Yam: “Mr. Sukrap, the teenager here is afraid of ghosts. Perhaps we can stay in one room instead?” Yam smiles and wraps her arm around Kim.

Mr. Sukrap: “That's fine by me. Do as you will.” He chuckles as he left the girls.

Kim smiles thankfully to Yam and Yam messes Kim's hair. They then unloaded their things in their room and Kim got an extra foam with sheets and pillows for her bed. She placed it next to Yam's bed neatly. Kim's attention was suddenly caught by a picture of a young woman on the side table. Though the picture was black and white, her beauty was undeniable. Her hair smooth and her skin like porcelain. But what really caught Kim's attention was the girl's smile. The eyes of the girl seemed to be focused somewhere else when the photo was taken but her smile was perfect and her emotions were pouring. “She's so beautiful.” Kim whispered to herself, she stared at the picture until Yam called her. “Hey kiddo! What are you looking at?” Yam looks at the photo. “Wow, she's beautiful. She must have been our age when this was taken.” “I've never seen a smile like hers.” Kim said without blinking as she stared at the picture. Yam felt a bit of jealousy “Falling in love with the girl in the portrait eh? She's probably a ghost by now Kim.” Kim creases her forehead and looked at Yam. “A beautiful ghost.” Kim replied. “A ghost none the less! Anyway, let's go down I'm hungry.” Yam pulls at Kim's sleeves. Kim lets go of the portrait and left with Yam. She turned back as she walks and whispered “Bye..” as if bidding farewell to the portrait.

 

In the same manor, 1914..

Pie dear, are you ready yet? Our guests are arriving. The ball is starting soon. You're father is waiting for us.” Pie looks out her window, gentlemen and ladies from different parts of the country have come to her coming of age ball. They all just want to earn father's favor. Is this all there is in life? Is this all that's in stored for me? Endless balls of politics and flattering. Pie thought to herself. She then took out her pearl jewelry from her chest. She wore it around her neck and placed the ear rings on her ears. She sprayed perfume on her neck, just two puffs are enough to last the entire night. Her coming of age also meant marriage and she was not yet ready. She puts her white gloves and opened the door, her mother was waiting for her together with her friend Jane. Jane was her only escape from her dull prison, but Jane was a prisoner of society as well. As they go down the grand staircase, the people were in awe with her beauty. The music has stopped playing and men gasped, they looked at her like she's the perfect prize waiting to be claimed. Pie hated this, there was more to her than just a pretty face, she thought. She has a voice, a soul, but no one would hear or see it, not even her father. She was born in a time dominated by men, and decorated by women. She smiled yet her eyes were crying out for help. The chandeliers' lights were blinding and the music was deafening. It will a long night she thought to herself, if only she could just get away, even once. 

 

It was the same night and the same place, yet worlds apart.. or so we thought..