Chapter 25: Bridging the Gap

Somewhere in Time

1914

 

I cleared things out with the police officers regarding my sudden disappearance and fortunately, they released my father and dropped all the charges. It was strange coming back here, if you think about it I've been in the same place all this time. My father didn't speak to me right away after they released him, it was not because he was angry at me but rather, he was ashamed. I kept trying to start conversations with him but he just avoids me, he cannot even look me in the eye. My mother then took it upon herself to explain. “Pie dear, forgive your father. He may seem like a stone of a man but the truth is, he is a very caring and sensitive person. He's just not very good at expressing his feelings.” Mother said. “I'm sorry about everything mother, and I understand him. I just hope he would talk to me soon.” I took a deep breath and held my mother's hand. I can see her eyes widened, she sighed and looked at the ring Kim gave me. “Did Kim gave you that?” She asked me. “Yes. She asked me to marry her.” I saw my mother hint a faint smile.

 

Do you remember your Aunt Reema?” I nodded. “Yes, but I don't know much about her, she died when I was very young, right?” “Yes dear. She was beautiful, adventurous and sweet yet very bossy. She was like a little sweet dictator. When they were young, she would sneak out with your father and go places. They were like peas and carrots, your father loved her very much. During one of those escapades, she met a young soldier. His name was Shin. He was handsome, brave and very charming. Your aunt fell for him at the very moment they met, your father even liked him too. And so, their love bore fruit, a forbidden fruit. Your grandfather was very furious when he learned about that, he wanted them to get married before her belly starts to grow. Shin agreed to marry your aunt, so your father helped him prepare for the wedding, he even helped sending his family to the town just to attend the wedding ceremony. Then on the day of the wedding, your father found out that the Shin already has a wife and child that he left in another province. They showed up as soon as they heard about the news. At first he could not believe it until he confronted Shin, he broke down and begged for your father's forgiveness, later on he confessed his sin to Reema. She was so heartbroken and ashamed. Shin left with his family even before the news reached your grandfather. The wedding was canceled and the news about it and Reema's pregnancy spread like wildfire, unable to bear the pain of Shin's treachery and the shame about her pregnancy, Reema ran away. She boarded a ship bound for Phuket but things turned for the worst, the ship she boarded sunk. Her body was never found. You see Pie, this is why we are very protective of you.”

 

Pie was very confused. “What has Aunt Reema's story got to do with me?” “You're a lot like her Pie. Your father sees a lot of Reema in you. He was so afraid that the same fate will happen to you and so he worked so hard to find a suitable man for you, someone he knows, someone that will not dare break your heart. He was afraid that you will fall for the same kind of 'boy' because you are still young and you don't know any better.” “Kim is not like Shin, Ma. She will never hurt me or betray me. I got to know her better through her family. As you and father once said, one way of truly knowing a person is by meeting his family and I have met hers. I've known her past struggles, Ma, if only you had the chance to know her you'll see that Kim is no Shin. She is not this 'boy I'll fall in love with because I didn't know any better'. And I know that you worry because our relationship is something that is not normal that is why I need to leave. Acceptance is impossible in this era, in hers as well but they are more lenient. They are more understanding about our kind of relationship.” The door behind Pie's back opened. “Is this what you really want Pie?” Her father was standing behind her, then he slowly moves closer to her side. “Y-yes, father.” Pie replied, she felt nervous and awkward around him. They never did talk much before but since the shooting incident, somehow their gap grew more. Mr. Mindara stood still for a moment then he took Pie's hand and the ring that Kim gave her. “Did she give you this?” He asked. “Y-yes.” “So, did she ask you to marry her? When is the wedding Where will it be held?” Pie could not believe her ears, it took her a few seconds before she replied. “Oh, it's still undecided yet father, I still need to go back to the future.” She replied. “So, the wedding will take place in the future? That's unfortunate. I've always dreamed about walking with you down the aisle.” Pie's eyes widened. She could not believe what she was hearing. “Maybe, you and Ma could come to the future with me?” Mr. Mindara smiled. “Pie dear, tell me more about Kim and the future. Van is not really a good story teller. Besides, I'd love to hear it from you.” Mr. and Mrs. Mindara sat down as they listened to their daughter's adventure with the girl from the future. At the end of the story, her parents gave her their blessing, and hoped that they could visit the future and see their daughter get married.

 

2014

Days passed and the so did the storms but Pie has not yet returned. Kim constantly waits for her in the wormhole area but she did not arrive, nor did the wormhole open. In their journal Pie wrote that she was waiting for the wormhole to open as well. She wrote about her conversation with her parents and how they'd love to visit the future for their wedding, the only problem is, the wormhole would not open. Her days were spent on taking care of her father and waiting for Pie, she quit her work to substitute her father in his company. Yam would wait with her at the wormhole to keep her company. Bai and Mike decided to give Kim the manor, they said it belonged to Pie anyway and it would be like returning to her and that they were going back to their own homes as well but Kim refused. She insisted that she would buy it and pay for it through loans. When Mr. Jittaleela learned about this from Yam, he secretly spoke with Mike and Bai and paid for the house.

 

Two weeks have passed since Pie returned to the past. It was a stormy evening and Kim has just arrived from her father's office, she went to check on her father then she went to her and Pie's room. She changed to a more comfortable set of clothing then she took their journal and sat against the wall on the wormhole. She read that Pie was sitting against the wall as well, waiting for the wormhole to open. She told her about how Van and Jane are starting to flirt with each other and how more lively her home has become since she returned. Her Nana, Aunt In send her regards to Kim. Then, on the next page, Kim saw the letters are slowly appearing, turning into words and words turning into phrases. Pie is writing now. “Kim, I wish that the wormhole would open soon. I miss you so much, I wish there was a way that you could communicate with me. I cannot wait to see you again and feel you. I hope I will dream of you tonight and I hope when I wake, I will see your face next to mine. Wait for me my love, I will return.” Kim sighed and wished the same. She held the journal and hugged it tightly as she drifts into sleep. “Teenager, wake up!” Yam shook her. “Hey, you haven't eaten yet. Here, eat this.” Yam hands her a plate of sandwich and chips. “Oh man, it's been raining for the past two weeks yet the wormhole wouldn't open. What the hell? I miss her.” Kim said as she washed down the sandwich with a glass of water. “Don't worry teenager, she'll be back soon. Maybe the storms are not strong enough to open the wormhole.” Yam smiled. “Thanks for always being here Yam. It means a lot me.”

 

Weeks have turned into months and the wormhole never opened. Kim feared that the bridge that connected their time was gone, but Kim feared more that although she kept receiving messages from Pie through the journal, the distance and time away from each other will make a gap between them, unknown to her, Pie feared that as well but it was worse for her because she cannot receive anything from Kim. Now that the anomaly has been corrected, has time closed its windows to prevent it from happening again?