7

3 Rich Brothers & 3 Poor Brothers(3 풍부한 형제 & 3 가난한 형제)

The boys staggered out of the car, looking around wildy, fear etched on their faces, where was the house? What had happened? Yong Guk went to the house next door and knocked. A stern faced woman opened and took in Yong Guk's clothes and frowned.

 

“Yes,” she said shortly.

 

“I'm sorry to bother you, but do you know where the family is that lived in that house next door?”

 

The woman eyed Yong Guk “No, I don't” and before he could say another word, she closed the door firmly in his face.

 

Yong Guk glared at the door and stuck out his tongue. He went to the house on the other side and the occupant there gave no information as well. They have to know what the hell happened, Yong Guk thought furiously. They ing live right next door. He paced for a few seconds. He had no idea where the family could be, he didn't know if they had any friends or other family. Him Chan suggested they just keep asking around and maybe visit the homeless shelters. The boys went door to door, asking about Zelo's family, but noone gave any information and regarded them coldly.

 

“It must be our clothes, we reek of rich and these people don't like that." Him Chan said gruffly.

 

They soon gave up and got back into the car and drove to the shelters asking if Zelo's family was there. No, was the answer. Time and time again. No. The boys were getting frustrated and it was getting late. The only choice they had was to go back home and try again tomorrow. When they arrived home, they told their parents and their father decided to contact the police department to see if they could offer any help.

 

The next morning Yong Guk's dad set off for work and promised to call when he heard from the police. He instructed the boys to just stay home and wait. It was nerve-wrecking, not knowing how they were. The house was destroyed, if anyone had been inside.....there was no way they would have survived. All three boys sat in the living room, each absorbed in different scenarious about what happened to Zelo's family. The phone rang and Him Chan grabbed it.

 

“Yeoboseo...appa! Chincaa, where!?” A pause. Him Chan's color drained from his face as he listened to his father.

 

Yong Guk and Young Jae crowded around him. “Are they all there?..oh..ok..wait hold on a minute. Get me a pen and paper” He directed to Young Jae, the boy grabbed them off a table.

 

Him Chan scribbled an address and thanked his father. "What did he say?!” Yong Guk cried, nearly freaking out.

 

“There is a Choi Jun Hong checked into the hospital. He said he didn't know if the other family members are there.”

 

“Let's go, now” Yong Guk directed.

 

The car ride was silent and the hospital soon came into view. They approached the information desk and gave Zelo's name. The man clicked some keys on his computer.

 

“Oh” he said solemnly “that patient is in the burn unit, 3rd floor, take a right off the elevators and follow the signs. You must be family to visit."

 

He looked at the trio. Yong Guk confirmed rapidly with no hesitation and the man nodded and gave them each name tags that identified them as family visitors. They hurried to the elevator and rode up silently. The doors were barely opened as Yong Guk squeezed thru. They followed the signs for the burn unit and came to a door with a buzzer. Yong Guk pressed the buttom and a friendly voice sounded.

 

“Neh, how can I help you?”

 

Yong Guk swallowed “My name is Choi Yong Guk, we are here to visit Choi Jun Hong.” he waited.

 

The voice came back “You may enter” and they heard a soft click as the door unlocked.

 

Yong Guk pushed the door open and the brothers walked quietly inside. It was quiet, the only sound was the soft beep of machines that was hooked up to some poor individual who was perhaps fighting for their life. Yong Guk wondered if Zelo was hooked up to such a machine. He pushed the thought away, Zelo will be Ok, he has to be. The nursing station came into view and Yong Guk asked for Zelo's room. The nurse inpected their name tags and then directed them to another door and swiped her hospital badge to open it , allowing the boys intrance. She guided them down a hallway and to a room towards the end.

 

“ The doctor will be in shortly, “ she said before quietly leaving.

 

The room was dimly lit and had a smell of anticeptic and some kind of strong cleaning solution. There were so many monitors beeping and chiming softly and all of them was attached to a tall boy laying brokenly on the bed. His eyes were closed and as the boys edged closer they noted the subtle rise and fall of his chest. His head was bandaged and the boys could see a tint of red showing thru the white bandage. His face was bruised, reds and purples blotched his baby face. Young Jae approached Zelo and entwined his hand with one of Zelo's, blinking back tears, he noted several bruises on the boys arms and hands. One hand was completely wrapped in a some kind of sterile gauze. Him Chan seated himself on the other side and Yong Guk stood frozen at the foot of the bed watching quietly. They remained this way for a few minutes, waiting, hoping for those beautiful eyes to open. The door opened and the Dr entered.

 

“Hello, are family of the patient?” he said. 

 

The boys introduced themselves as Zelo's brothers.

 

“May I ask his condition?” Yong Guk asked worridly.

 

The Dr. told them he had a slight concussion, caused by falling debris from the house hitting his head, one hand was severely burned as it was trapped under some burning debris. He also sustained burns on his chest and back and will require multiple skin grafts. The boys hearts broke because Zelo had to endure all this pain and they should have been there.

 

“The other family, are they ok?” Him Chan asked with tears in his eyes.

 

“Ah,” the doctor nodded “Yes, they are here as well, recovering in seperate rooms.”

 

Each boy breathed a sign of relief and returned their attention to Zelo. “He was the most injured and so he will remain here for quite some time so we can prepare him for the skin grafts.”

 

“Ca-can h-he h-hear us?” Yong Guk asked timidly.

 

“Neh,” The Dr. assured “The best treatment a patient can receive is the love and support of their family. You can talk to him, he can hear you.”

 

He smiled warmly at the boys and excused himself and exited the room. Young Jae held his head down as tears streamed down his round cheeks, his heart was broken. He felt so guilty for leaving his friend, he had no idea this would have happened.

 

“Please wake up Zelo-ah” he begged, sobs racking his body

 

. Yong Guk's eyes were wet as well and he wrung his hands, worried for his friend and the rest of the family. Him Chan rubbed Zelo's arm gently before excusing himself to see the rest of the family and promised to bring news of their health. As he exited, there came a soft cough, Young Jae and Yong Guk both looked up and saw Zelo's eyes slowly blinking open. Yong Guk immediately rushed to his side and rubbed his arm gently.

 

“Zelo-ah” he asked softly “How are you, can you hear me?”

 

Zelo blinked a few more times, struggling to wake up completely.

 

“Yong Guk-ssi? Young Jae-ssi?” he asked confused. “wha-what are you doing here, how did you find me?” The boy looked around seemingly unsure of his surroundings.

 

Yong Guk broke down, all the emotions that he had been holding in came pouring out “I'm sorry, I was not there for you, I'm sorry this happened. Your family took us in and helped us and..”

 

“...and I forgot about you.” He whispered sadly. “I don't know how I will ever forgive myself, I am so sorry Zelo-ah, I am so sorry. Please, Please forgive me.”

 

Yong Guk had tears pouring down his cheeks and his body shook as large sobs wracked his body, he looked sadly into the boys soft brown irises and his heart lept when he felt Zelo's soft warm hand on his. He looked down and then looked up and felt his world spinning as a beautiful smile formed on Zelo's beautiful bowed lips.

 

“Please don't be sad” Zelo said soothingly “I don't blame you for anything, and please don't blame yourselves.” He looked at Young Jae and Yong Guk earnestly and smiled. “I am just happy to see you and happy that you are ok, I still can't belive that you are here..I am so happy to see you again.”

 

Yong Guk wiped the tears from his eyes, and stared at Zelo in total shock. He expected rejection, he expected some sort of rebuttal or negative response, but the boy gave nothing of the sort. Yong Guk was amazed at the heart this kid had, it was so amazing, he was so amazing, he still found it in his heart to forgive and accept him. Yong Guk felt that he did not deserve Zelo's acceptance but when he saw how the younger smiled at him he smiled back accepting Zelo's words of encouragment. Him Chan entered at that moment and noticed that Zelo was awake.

 

“Zelo-ah” he exclaimed happily, bouncing over to the boys side. “How are you? Are you hurting anywhere, I'm so, so happy to see you Zelo-ah”

 

Zelo smiled, “I am ok, thank you.”

 

Him Chan then looked like he wanted to cry. His bottom lips trembled and tears rimmed his eyes. He opened his mouth to say something but Zelo put up his hand. “Him Chan-ssi please don't be sad. I am so happy to see you, very happy. Please don't be sad.”

 

Him Chan's shoulder sagged for a moment before he staightened back up and beamed at Zelo.

 

“Neh, Zelo-ah” he said firmly.

 

A nurse entered and checked Zelo's charts. “How are you feeling” she said brightly.

 

“Ok, I guess.” Zelo answered blushing slightly, all eyes were on him and well it was a lot of attention.

 

“It will be some time before you leave, but please don't lose heart. It seems you have a large family who are supporting you. Your road to recovery will be long, but we are all behind you.” She raised a small fist in the air “Fighting!” She said.

 

“Fighting!” They all said and she left the room.

 

“Zelo-ah?” Yong Guk asked, he noticed that the younger looked very worried. Zelo avoided his eyes and sighed. “I just don't know what we will do when I finally get discharged. Our home is gone and...I just don't know”

 

Tears rimmed the boys eyes and he hung his head and wiped at his eyes. The three boys heart's ached for their friend and his predicament.

 

“You will stay with us.” Yong Guk said quietly.

 

All three heads shot in his direction, staring.

 

“What?” Zelo said quietly.

 

“You will stay with us.” Yong Guk repeated, louder looking directly at the wounded boy.

 

Zelo looked away. “I-I don't know...I-I mean. Thank you, I-I don't want to be a bother.”

 

Young Jae grasped the boys hand tighter. “Zelo-ah, you won't be a bother. I would really like for you to stay with us.”

 

“Yes please.” asked Him Chan puffing out his lip.

 

Yong Guk smiled at the boy and nodded awaiting a response. Zelo looked from boy to boy and broke into a wide shy grin .

 

“O-okay.“ he said finally “But my family...”

 

Him Chan waved a hand “I already talked to your parents and other brother's and offered for them to stay with us.”

 

He grinned a goofy smile. “I was going to ask you as well, but looks like my brother beat me to it.” He smiled Yong Guk's way and the boy returned a wide gummy grin.

 

“So it's settled” Yong Guk said happily “We will come and take you once you are ready to be discharged and you will live with us.”

 

Zelo's heart leapt at the thought of being with his friends again. They stayed with him for a while longer, Zelo's pain medicine was beginning to take effect again. The boys watched as Zelo blinked sleepily and after a few more lazy blinks soon drifted peacefully off to sleep. Yong Guk stayed behind to watch over Zelo thru the night, he left Zelo once and he would be damned if he would leave him again.

 

The next morning the boys came to see Zelo and the rest of the family. Him Chan went to visit Jong Up and Young Jae went to DaeHyun's room. Yong Guk approached Zelo's room and went inside. The boy was sitting upright in the bed and being fed some soup by a nurse. When he laid eyes on Yong Guk his eyes lit up.

 

“Oh, annyeonghaseyo hyung!” the boy greeted.

 

Yong Guk bowed greeting the boy back. “What are you eating?” Yong Guk asked peering into the bowl.

 

“Tofu soup w/ cabbage” Zelo said “It's pretty good.”

 

“Ah...um may I..?” Yong Guk asked the nurse motioning to the soup. She understood “Ah neh, neh” she stood and bowed before leaving.

 

Yong Guk sat down and took the spoon in his hand and dipped into the bowl, he lifted it out and carefully manuvered the spoon to Zelo's open mouth. He watched in facination as the boy opened his plush lips and Yong Guk pushed the spoon gently into the boys mouth. He watched as the boy swallowed and his lips. Yong Guk was entranced with the sight and began to feel a warmth spread thru his whole body. His hands shook as he dipped the spoon again, soup was spilling off the side.

 

“Hyung?” Zelo asked “um, are you...Ok?”

 

“Huh?” Yong Guk asked wide eyed “neh, neh, neh” he shook his head rapidly and set the spoon back into the bowl.

 

His heart was beating so fast. He cleared his throat “Do you still want more soup?”

 

Zelo considered the offer “Aniyo, I think I'm done.”

 

Yong Guk removed the side table and sat next to Zelo, thinking of something to say. Why was he so nervous? He fidgeted for a few seconds and finally just laid his hands in his lap. Zelo watched amused and giggled.

 

“Well, what is so funny?” Yong Guk asked a small smile on his face.

 

“I am just so very happy to see you again, I was worried about, I was hoping that you were OK.”

 

Yong Guk swallowed the lump forming in his throat. He could not believe that after everything Zelo had gone thru, that he thought about him. He blushed slightly and Zelo giggled again. Yong Guk suddenly moved closer to Zelo and wrapped his hand around Zelo's warm one.

 

“I don't feel like I deserve your kindness, Zelo-ah. I am just so sorry, I feel like I let you down, I feel like I owe you so much. I will make it up to somehow.”

 

He looked at the boy in the eyes and Zelo took his hand and cupped Yong Guk's cheek.

 

“You already made it up.”

 

Yong Guk's brows furrowed.

 

“You are here with me, I really don't want anything else, I just want you to stay with me. Simple as that.” He grinned.

 

“Simple as that huh?” Yong Guk grinned back.

 

Zelo nodded and beamed at the older. Yong Guk could not control his heartbeat as he stared into the boys eyes. He's so beautiful, he thought. He focused on Zelo's plump lips and his head began to move towards the lips as though they were a magnet. Closer and closer still, their faces were only inches apart and both were breathing quite heavily. Yong Guk could feel Zelo's warm breath on his lips and his body tingled from the closeness, but they were not close enough. He moved even closer to the boy, his lips ghosted over Zelo's lips, his eyes fluttered shut, his heart was beating so fast. Suddenly the door flew open and the two boys both jumped back startled.

 

Him Chan took in the sight and grinned. “Was I.....interrupting something?” He wiggled his eyebrows and smirked at Yong Guk.

 

Both were too embarressed to say anything and could only shake their heads no. Zelo glanced at Yong Guk and giggled, the olders face was bright red. Him Chan rolled his eyes and plopped down next to Zelo. Yong Guk glared at Him Chan and Him Chan pretended not to notice.

 

“I just came from Jong Uppies room.” Him Chan said happily.

 

“Jong Uppie?” both Zelo and Yong Guk said in unison.

 

“He is set to be discharged soon and so is the rest of your family. Him Chan continued, totally ignoring their shocked faces, So Zelo-ah, you must hurry and get better so you can get out of this place.”

 

He beamed at Zelo and Zelo blushed a crazy red and ducked his head.

 

“I'll try” he said shyly.

 

Yong Guk watched the boy lovingly. Zelo nodded and smiled. There came another knock and two men entered pushing a hospital bed.

 

“We are here to take the patient for some skin grafts.” Zelo gulped and looked nervous and Yong Guk took Zelo's hand in his and squeezed.

 

“I'll be right be your side” Zelo felt tears rim his eyes and be blinked them back.

 

The men transferred Zelo to the bed and wheeled him out with Yong Guk hot on their trail. Him Chan bid Zelo good luck before heading back to Jong Up's room. The group approached another part of the hospital and a buzzer sounded and the door swung open, they all entered and one of the men pointed to a waiting area.

 

“I'm sorry, only the patient is allowed, for sanitation reasons.” Yong Guk nodded and leaned over Zelo cupping his face.

 

“I'll be right here when you come out” he whispered.

 

Yong Guk leaned closer and before even he could process what was happening, their lips connected, Zelo gasped briefly before his eyes fluttered shut and he kissed Yong Guk back. It seemed as though time stopped for Zelo and there was only him and Yong Guk

As the older reluctantly pulled away, Zelo gazed into his eyes, and maintained eye contact until the doors swung shut blocking the older boy from view. Zelo closed his eyes as he felt his heart do a million backflips, those lips were so soft, he looked forward to the next time he would taste those lips.