4

3 Rich Brothers & 3 Poor Brothers(3 풍부한 형제 & 3 가난한 형제)

  ********************************************** 3 MONTHS LATER *********************************************

Yong Guk awoke with a start, heart beating rapidly. There was a loud banging coming from somewhere. He bolted upright looking around, trying to find the source. It was coming from the front entrance of the motel. He saw his father walk towards the door as the banging got harder. He opened it, the light was blinding and Yong Guk shielded his eyes.

 

Next to him Him Chan and Young Jae had stirred and was also watching the scene. It was the manager of the motel they were staying in. Yong Guk's father had not been able to make any more payments for the room and the manager wanted them out.

 

We have no where to go.” His father pleaded.

 

The manager was heartless “That is your ing problem, get out now or I'm calling the police. He stormed off.

 

Yong Guk's father slowly closed the door and looked sadly at his family. “I'm so sorry everyone, we have to leave.”

 

Yong Guk's was outraged. “Where the hell are we supposed to go, we have no where.” he shouted at his father.

 

He knew he shouldn't but he didn't care. He was tired of living like this, everything he had was gone, his car, his money, his home, his carefree and lavish lifestyle, his servants, his perfect life.

 

His father balled his fists and then relaxed them. “I will figure something out.”

 

They gathered what little they had and headed out, there was a homeless shelter about 4 blocks away and they headed in that direction. The boys looked around at their surroundings, still not believing that they are in this situation.

 

After losing their home, they stayed with Yong Guk's father's secretary for a few weeks, but her home was rather small and they soon left and moved into that filthy motel. Yong Guk's dad had some cash in his wallet and they paid for the motel for a while with that money and managed to eat a little, but then he had no more cash and he could not go to any bank and withdraw any more money. To have been living so privileged a lifestyle and to now live as paupers was disheartening. They arrived at the shelter and was met with a long line of other families, it strectched around the corner, they couldn't even see the shelter. There were people in line who looked really sick, and some were vomiting all over the sidewalk and coughing.

 

Yong Guk's mom stared in horror “No.” she declared firmly “I'm not going in there.” she shook her head rapidly from side to side and backed away.

 

Ok, ok” Yong Guk's father said “We will go somewhere else.”

 

The next closest shelter was 4 miles away. It would take them all day, but they had to, they had no where else to go. They managed to walk about a mile and a half when Young Jae suddenly cried out.

 

Abeoji!  I have to stop, I don't feel well” His mom rushed to his side.

 

She touched his forehead and frowned. “He has a slight fever, we should rest a little and then find a hospital” They all sat on the ground looking completely worn and sad.

 

 

Zelo and his brother's and father was on the way back from the food bank, the line was so long and they stood in line for 7 hours waiting and all they got was a loaf of bread, some peanut butter, a few vegetables, 2 gallons of water and a bag of potatoes. It really was not much, it would barely feed 2 people let alone 5, but it was food and they were thankful for it.

It was getting late and they were very tired and very hungry. Zelo thought about the peanut butter and practically drooled, he could not wait to get home. They passed the local homeless shelter and he cringed at all the sick people waiting in line. He felt very sorry for them, he tapped DaeHyun.

 

DaeHyun-ah, I really wish we were rich and we could help those people out.”

 

He smiled a sad smile and DaeHyun felt his heart break. His brother was so considerate, he had a big heart and always did little things to make the family smile. He would rap, or dance..he was a great dancer and his rapping skills were phenomenal, but they were poor and could not afford to do more than just dream. The family walked further and out of the corner of his eye Zelo saw a family of 5 sititng on the side of the road. He glanced their way and then faced forward, but then his eyes shot to them again and he stopped.

 

He had seen those boys somewhere before. The boy with the plush pink lips and dark eyes, the one with the round cheeks and sultry eyes, the one with the almond shaped eyes and small plump lips...he had seen those faces. Zelo stopped and stared, where, where, where? He strained to remember and simply could not. He walked a little further and stopped, his eyes widened as he then remembered. Those were the boys who were mean to him about...2 months ago? No, he thought it was longer than that, but he still never forgot those faces.

 

Zelo is shocked, what are they doing in my part of town!? Weren't they just in a ferrari the last time I saw them. They were obviously rich...but they don't look rich now. They look poor like me. Are they poor now? They look like they need help and a place to stay. Zelo does not hesitate and runs up to his father and after whispering some words, his father looks back at the family. He also does not hesitate and walks up to them. Yong Guk's father is looking down at the ground when a shadow crosses his face, he looks up and a man is standing in front of him.

 

Excuse me, do you need any help?” Zelo's father's face is full or concern and the boys stand behind him watching quietly.

 

Yong Guk's father staggers to his feet “Yes” he exclaims grateful for the assistance. “We are homeless, we have no where to go, do you know a hospital close by and then a homeless shelter close by as well?”

 

Hospital? Zelo's father looks at the group. “Who is sick?”

 

Yong Guk's mom rises, “My son is not very well.” she rubs Young Jae's shoulder as she speaks.

 

DaeHyun, Zelo and Jong Up's hearts go out to the family and the boys father tells the family that they can stay with them until Young Jae get better. They live close to a local clinic who could treat him. Yong Guk's father and mother are very, very grateful and they all head towards Zelo's home. As they walked Zelo waited for some kind of recognition, but the other boys don't look twice at him. They don't remember me, he thinks, they don't remember my face.

 

Yong Guk is looking at the ground with an angry expression on his face. DaeHyun approaches him and offers a friendly smile.

 

My name is Choi DaeHyun.” he said offering his hand, Yong Guk scowls and shakes it quickly.

 

We look about the same age, I'm 17 he says, “Are you?”

 

Yong Guk was annoyed, very annoyed, months ago he would not have looked this boys way in a million years and now here he was, walking down a filthy street, hungry, tired and pissed...and this boy kept talking and would not shut the up. Yong Guk glared at DaeHyun and DaeHhyn's eyes got wide. “I really don't have anything to say right now.” he said rudely and faced forward again silent.

 

DaeHyun just  shrugged and thought, well maybe later.

 

Jong Up and Zelo fell into step with Him Chan and Young Jae and their mom. They introduced themselves politely.

 

Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Choi Jong Up and this is my brother Choi Jun Hong, but everyone calls him Zelo” Jong Up said smiling.

 

Him Chan only cut his eyes at the two and faced forward again. “Nice to meet you both and again thank you so very much” Him Chan's mom smiled at the boys.

 

Him Chan remained silent. Jong Up glanced at Zelo before continuing. “I hope your brother feels better soon.”

 

Him Chan rolled his eyes and looked away.

 

Yah!” Him Chan yelled as his mom smacked him on the back of the head.

 

Him Chan-ah, be nicer, these people are taking us in out of the kindness of their heart” She looked sadly at her son. Him Chan only stuck on his bottom lip and crossed his arms across his chest. The group soon arrived at Zelo's house and Yong Guk, Him Chan and Young Jae all stared at it in horror. The motel was better than this piece of house, thought Him Chan angrily.

 

Yong Guk's dad and mom and Young Jae had already gone inside. Him Chan and Yong Guk hesitated. Zelo, Jong Up and DaeHyun approached the two and Jong Up held open the door.

 

Come on in, make your self at home.”

 

At the mention of the word “home” Yong Guk's chest tightened painfully and he blinked back tears, he frowned and brushed passed the boys without a word. Him Chan followed silently. They entered the home and Yong Guk froze and took in his surroundings, he took note of the dirty dingy walls, the small table and dirty cushions, the kitchen, lack of a refrigerator, the small hot pot, and the shelf with it's meager food rations. People actually live like this? He thought bitterly. Now I have to live like this. He could feel the anger boiling in his chest, he wanted his old home so bad, this was not fair, it simply was not fair, he didn't deserve to be living this kind of life. They could live this way, but not him.

He wanted to just run of this run-down house, but he knew he had no where to go. Zelo's dad offered him a seat and Yong Guk coldy declined and opted to stand. Zelo's father then offered Him Chan one, he sat hesitantly while looking around him at all the dirt on the floor. This is just horrible he thought. I really cannot believe that I am in a place like this, nothing matches, he thought crazily. So dirty. Do these people not clean. I'm going to get some kind of sickness from staying here. He shuddered and fought back the tears that crept in the corners of his eyes.

 

Zelo's mother came out of the other room and everyone introduced themselves to her. “We don't have much, but you are welcome to stay until your son is better” She smiled warmly.

 

Yong Guk”s mom thanked her many times and the two women went into the other room. Yong Guk's dad and Zelo's dad excused themselves saying they were going to go to the fish market to see if they could find more food to feed the large group. Yong Guk's legs were beginning to tire from standing and he reluctantly sat next to Him Chan. Zelo, DaeHyun and Jong Up had sat as well and was watching the boys, unsure of what to say. Yong Guk noticed the other boys staring and he glared at them.

 

“We have not had any company like this...well never, DaeHyun reflected thoughtfully. “I am glad you are here, it's nice to have someone your age to talk to.”

 

DaeHyun smiled a charming smile that reached his eyes turning them into round crescents. Yong Guk and Him Chan just stared open mouthed, Yong Guk finally scoffed and looked away.

 

“I hope our appa's can get fish tonight.” Jong Up said happily “Umma makes the best fish jeongol."

 

  He grinned at his brothers and DaeHyun and Zelo happily agreed.

 

“Do you remember the day when he brought back 5 fishes!” Zelo said grinning widely. “We each had our own fish to eat that night.”

 

The brothers shared a heartfelt laugh. Yong Guk and Him Chan again stared, mouths agape. What the....what the hell am I looking at? How the can they be laughing and happy when they live like this. Yong Guk thought angrily. This is sad, just ing sad. I was able to eat fish until I was stuffed, I also had sinseollo. I had servants at my beck and call and yet these boys have nothing like that and they are still happy and smiling. He simply could not understand it.

 

Him Chan spoke up “Do you have something to drink?”

 

“Ah, how rude of me.” DaeHyun apologized and got up “are you hungry, I can try to find something for you to eat”

 

DaeHyun glanced uncertainly towards the kitchen, but then turned back with a smile on his face.

 

Him Chan frowned, “Ani, just some water would be fine” He was actually very hungry, but he saw they didn't have much.

 

DaeHyun looked at Yong Guk. Yong Guk looked towards the kitchen. What the is there to even eat, he thought. I don't care, let him bring me whatever he can.

 

“I'll take whatever you can bring.” he glowered at the boy. DaeHyun smiled “Ok, I'll find you something to eat.”

 

Yong Guk sneered and caught Zelo's eye, who quickly looked away. Yong Guk narrowed his eyes.

 

“How about you Young Jae-ssi” DaeHyun asked softly. Young Jae looked up slowly. “I'll take a drink.” DaeHyun knodded his head in confirmation and headed into the kitchen.

 

“Zelo-ah”, Jong Up asked suddenly “Do a rap for them, I bet they would like it.”

 

Zelo turned a crimson red and ducked his head shyly “Oh, Jong Up-ah, I.I don't...know...” he began to protest.

 

“Please” Jong Up pleaded blinking at Zelo. Zelo melted, he couldn't say no to his brother.

 

He cleared his throat and began to rap “Ginagin ssaume mogi maruen, geu daedeureul wihae nallineun Punch. Seoroga dareugo pyeoneul gareugo geu mari got mujihan saramdeul marigo.”

 

Here the boy took a deep breath and began to rap at a blinding speed “Simjange ullineun nae mari nimalgwa dareuni hwaganai deureo samadi jansori.”

 

Jong Up clapped loudly and DaeHyun cheered from the kitchen, Zelo continued to blush madly. Yong Guk rolled his eyes. It wasn't that good, it . s.u.c.k.e.d. He spelled out the words and laughed to himself. Him Chan smiled and clapped softly. He had to admit that was pretty good and how the did he rap that fast!? Yong Guk frowned deeply. I could do better, he thought smugly. DaeHyun arrived with three cups of water and a peanut butter sandwich. He handed a cup of water to Him Chan and Young Jae and the sandwich and other water to Yong Guk.

 

“Gomawo” Him Chan mumbled. DaeHyun knodded ,”Cheon ma neyo.” “Thank you” Young Jae said softly. DaeHyun smiled warmly at the boy. Yong Guk looked down at the meager offering, unappreciative of the effort.

 

“Don't you have anything else?” he asked loudly. DaeHyun smiled a small sad smile.

 

“I'm sorry, we don't, but hopefully our appa's will get fish tonight. Please eat” DaeHyun insisted kindly and Yong Guk reluctantly snatched up the sandwich. DaeHyun sat back down and the three boys began telling the other three boys about how great a dancer Zelo and Jong Up was and how good a voice DaeHyun had.

 

"He can hit 7 high notes!" Jong Up exclaimed and DaeHyun blushed. 

 

"Chinchaa" Young Jae grinned.  "Please sing a little." 

 

DaeHyun blushed madly and shyly stood up.  "ooooOOOOOOOO" with each octave he rose Young Jae's eyes got wider and wider.  DaeHyun finished and the boys clapped, well except Yong Guk -.-

 

Daehyun gave a shy bow and quickly took his seat.  The brother's began to laugh and joke and soon Him Chan was joining in. Yong Guk glared at him angrily. Him Chan ignored him and continued chatting with the other boys. They were just so friendly. There was nothing fake about them, they lived so poorly but they obviously cared very deeply for each other and enjoyed each other's company. Regardless of their surroundings, there was hardly a moment when the boys were not smiling. How can they smile when they live like this?, thought Him Chan. He just could not understand it.

 

“Do you know how to play ka-wi-ba-wi-bo?” DaeHyun asked, rousing him from his thoughts.

 

He didn't and they offered to teach him and he found that he liked it a lot. Yong Guk gruffly denied trying the game. Their mothers began to busy themselves cleaning as best they could and chatted happily. Yong Guk looked at his mom, she seemed...happy as well. Was she not missing her old life, the life of luxury? She seemed content and relaxed. Yong Guk felt like he was losing his mind. At that moment the door opened and their appa's entered grinning.

 

“Yobooo” Zelo's dad called, "we have fish!"

 

She hurried over, “How wonderful! How many?” 

 

“Ah only three.” he frowned.

 

She waved her hands “Oh that will do fine.” She took the fish and Yong Guk's mom's arm and led her into the kitchen.

 

Yong Guk could not belive his ears. I mean seriously, how the hell were they going to feed 10 people with 3 fish!!! I'm going to starve to death, he thought angrily. Tears welled up in his eyes and he blinked them back. DaeHyun noticed Yong Guk's emotion on his face.

 

“Are you OK Yong Guk-ssi?” he asked concerned.

 

Yong Guk glared angrily at him, hating him, hating his home, hating how he looked at him all concerned.

 

“Oh I'm fine, he exploded, “Just ing great.”

 

It became silent and Yong Guk's dad shot him a look. He apologized to Zelo's father and mother, saying they were under some stress. Zelo's parents nodded understanding and continued. Yong Guk stood up and went outside fuming. It was cool outside and the stars shone brightly in the sky as Yong Guk stared up, fighting the tears that threatened to fall. He felt cheated, robbed of his plush lifestyle, and overwhelmed. He struggled to think of what he could have possibly done to deserve this. Tears rimmed his eyes and Yong Guk quickly wiped them away.

 

He suddenly sensed a presence next to him and kept his eyes trained on the sky. “Um, Yong-Guk-ssi?” a voice softly asked. Yong Guk looked over and saw Zelo watching him worriedly. “Are you Ok?”

 

Yong Guk slowly looked away and continued to fight the tears, a range of emotions played across his handsome face.

 

“This isn't fair.” he whispered and Zelo's eyes widened. Yong Guk looked over at Zelo again and his eyes were cold and hard. Zelo's heart raced. Does he finally remember me?

 

“It's just not fair” Yong Guk shook his head and looked away again. Zelo breathed a silent sigh of relief and rubbed the back of his neck.

 

“I uh, really hope that you feel better soon.” Zelo offered a heart-warming smile. “We are both lucky, I think, to have such loving families. I believe that whatever you are going thru, can be endured as long as you have your family." He nodded his head and smiled a quick smile. “As long as I have my family, I can endure anthing. I feel like the strongest, richest person in the world.” He sniffed and rubbed his neck again.

 

Yong Guk slowly looked over and watched as a tear slowly slid down the boys smooth cheek cutting a clean path thru the dirt on his face.

 

“Ah, sorry” Zelo apologized, as he wiped his face. “I try to cheer you up and I become a mess myself. Dinner is almost done, I will see you inside. Ok?” He gave a small smile and disappered inside.

 

Yong Guk stood frozen and his mind whirled as he processed what the boy had just told him. This er is nuts, he thought, he has no idea what it means to be rich! No ing clue. If he saw how I had lived not to long ago, he would probably freak out. Yong Guk's heart ached, remembering his old life. I never realized what a good life I had...now it's gone, he thought bitterly and headed back inside.