5

3 Rich Brothers & 3 Poor Brothers(3 풍부한 형제 & 3 가난한 형제)

Yong Guk was greeted with the most delicious smell as he entered the house, it was tantilizing and made his stomach rumble. He wandered over to the kitchen and tried to peer into the hot pot, but Zelo's mom shooed him away smiling.

 

“It's almost ready” she sang.

 

He went back into the living room area and sat on one of the cushions. Him Chan was being taught another game and as Yong Guk watched it seemed kind of interesting. He placed his head in his hand and clutched at his stomach as it rumbled again. Hurry up, he thought grumpily.

 

“Ok, food is done.” Zelo's mom soon called out.

 

Everyone sat around the small table as best they could and Zelo's dad distributed bowls. Zelo's mom uncovered the hot pot and the aroma of the jeongol wafted around the room. Yong Guk hated to admit but it smelled really ing good. He remembered his chefs cooking and it smelled good to, but this food smelled really good. Yong Guk found that he was smiling and watching eagerly as Zelo's mom placed some jeongol in each person's bowl. He stared at it....it was a lot! What? How? Oh well, no time to think. Eat!!

 

“Wait” Zelo's mom suddenly called out. “We must say thanks.”

 

Yong Guk stopped, annoyed that he had to stop before he could take a bite of the delicious smelling food. He halfway bowed his head as Zelo's appa gave thanks for the meal and Yong Guk immediately picked up his bowl and dug in. OH HOHOHO!  Was it good!  He finished it all and was very surprised when Zelo's mom placed more in his bowl. He finished that amount and sat back very happy and satisfied, not full but satisfied. How did she manage to make so much food with only 3 fish and it was so good. Everyone complimented Zelo's mom including Yong Guk. The women began to clear the table and went to wash dishes and chat. The father's went outside to have a chat as well. The boys continued the game that they were teaching Him Chan and Yong Guk asked to join. He found that he liked it too, very much. They played more games for a while when Zelo suddenly asked Jong Up to sketch a picture of the group. Jong Up smiled that angelic smile and went to try and find some paper and pencil. He soon returned and began to delegate where each boy should sit, he began to sketch. He was very good and soon had sketched a rough drawing of the 5 boys. He said he would need to edit it and sketch himself into the picture and would show it later.

 

It was getting late and everyone was yawning. “It's going to be cold tonight” Zelo's mom said.

 

“Ah yes",his appa agreed.

 

“We don't have a heater," he said addressing Yong Guk's family “We usually put our sleeping bags together and sleep close to each other for body heat, we don't have extra's so we will have to share, I hope you don't mind”

 

“Not at all” replied Yong Guk's dad.

 

The sleeping arrangement was as follows, each parent got a sleeping bag to share. Yong Guk and DaeHyun shared a bag, Zelo and Young Jae shared another and Jong Up and Him Chan shared the last one. They arranged the bags so everyone was close and snuggled in. They bade each other good night and everyone drifted off into a peaceful night's rest.

 

 

 

 

*~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~~*  2 MONTHS LATER  *~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~*~~~~~~~*~~~~~*

Yong Guk's family had been staying with Zelo's family for going on 2 months and although Young Jae was feeling better, Zelo's dad still extended hospitality to them. He honestly liked their company. Zelo's mom wanted them to stay as well, she enjoyed chatting with Yong Guk's mom and she appreciated the extra hand around the house.

Everyone was pitching in to help, with 10 people staying there, they each had to lend a hand. The boys would go out scavenging for whatever they could find useful to bring back home and although everyone helped, the 10 bodies occupying the home had resources stretched thin. The food bank was experiencing a shortage and the family had to turn to other means for food and supplies. They needed money and although his parents absolutely hated it, gave permission for Zelo to go beg. Young Jae offered to go with him. Zelo led Young Jae down the street towards his usual spot, along the way they chatted.

 

“You always have to beg?” Young Jae asked sadly.

 

“Not often, my appa works, but he does not make very much, but since i'm the youngest, I usually can get someone to give me money.”

 

Young Jae thought that was very sad, he never had to beg for anything when he was rich, everything was just given to him, he really missed his old life very much. He honestly could not imagine having to beg for anything, the idea made him shudder. As they approached the spot, Young Jae frowned, this place looks familiar, he thought, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Zelo began to go from car to car and a couple of cars passed him some money. Zelo thanked them and bowed multiple time.

 

As Zelo was begging a ferrari sped by and the driver yelled out, “Stop begging, you lazy , get a job!” the man laughed and continued on.

 

Zelo watched as the car sped off and then looked down at the ground. Young Jae came over to him and laid his hand on his shoulder, but Zelo avoided his eyes.

 

“I don't like doing this” he confessed “I really don't like begging, who would. I have to... or else my family would starve”. Zelo sniffed and wiped his eyes. “When I am older I am going to get a good job and buy my parents a big house and there would be so much food and, we will be so happy, we won't have to beg ever again” he stopped and shook his head as warm tears slid down his smooth cheeks.

 

Young Jae felt his heartbreak, not only because of the torment that this boy was going thru, this boy who was the same age as him. They came from vastly different backgrounds and with every passing second, Young Jae was seeing more and more of how good a life he had compared to Zelo's. He also wanted to offer comfort because the memories of a certain day flared up in his mind. He remembered what he did to this tall, lanky boy begging on the side of the road, he remembered the drink, he remembered the nasty words that came out of his mouth and he was completely and utterly sorry. Young Jae decided that he would not say anything to his brother's, if they didn't remember that day, then he would not spoil things.

 

As the sun began to set, the boys set off for home. They had been out all day, usually Zelo would only stay for a few hours, but with 10 people in the home he stayed longer and had a pocketful of money. Young Jae was tired as well, he managed to get quite a bit of money himself and the boys were thrilled. This would buy food to last for a while, Zelo was very happy to have Yong Guk's family there.

 

“If we did this everyday, we would have so much money” Zelo said happily.

 

Young Jae smiled and agreed. They arrived at the house and showed their parents the money, Zelo's parents were overjoyed, they had not seen so much money and hugged both boys. The appa's set out to go to the better market before it closed and the rest of the family seated themselves on the cushions and listened to DaeHyun sing, and more of Zelo's rapping. Jong Up suddenly remembered his drawing and brought it out and showed it everyone. It was very beautiful and they liked it very much. He gave it to Yong Guk and the 3 boys promised to always treasure it. There was a comfortable atmosphere and Yong Guk's family felt very much as home. They had come to grow fond of Zelo's family and the love Zelo's family had for them.

 

Yong Guk had changed, he found a side of himself that he didn't know existed, a caring side, a side that cared for someone other than himself. He stared rather fondly at Zelo, who caught his eye. The young boys eyes widened slightly and he smiled. Yong Guk felt his heart flutter. What is this I'm feeling? He gazed at the young boy and again felt that flutter in his heart. He placed a smooth hand over his heart, this sensation, this warmth was spreading thru him, so very pleasant. He wanted to feel it more and so focused all his attention on Zelo.

 

Him Chan had changed too, he found that family was very important and money was not the most important thing in life. He learned to enjoy simple things, like ka-wi-ba-wi-bo.  He learned that love and acceptance can come from the most unlikely places. He watched Jong Up carefully as the boys eyes crinkled into crescents as he laughed. Him Chan felt his heart beating wildly in his chest and smiled at the boy. Jong Up's eyes suddenly met his and Him Chan gasped. Jong Up blushed and smiled. Him Chan suddenly felt dizzy. Whoa, he thought. Why do I feel this way? He looked at Jong Up again, as soon as he did his heartbeat accelerated and he had a thought that he wanted the boy to press his soft lips against his own. Him Chan his lips unconsciously and when he did Jong Up glanced his way and smiled again. Him Chan's eyes widen and he quickly looked down to try and hide the redness that he was sure was painting his face.

 

Young Jae realized that you should always strive to be kind and courteous to people because you never know what kind of life they have. He glanced at Zelo, before training his eyes on DaeHyun. He had begun to have strong feelings for the older boy. He smiled shyly and blushed when DaeHyun suddenly looked his way. DaeHyun held his gaze and smiled that charming smile andYoung Jae grinned back ducking his head shyly. He knew he was young and he knew that he was feeling something when he looked at DaeHyun...could it be love? Could it be a blossoming friendship, everything about DaeHyun seemed to be perfect to Young Jae, hell even their names fit perfectly DaeJae!

 

As everyone enjoyed quality time together, they heard a car approach and stop outside. Car doors slammed and Yong Guk's father burst thru, yelling excitedly.

 

“Yoboooo!” He shouted, grinning widely “I have the most fantastic, most wonderful news!! The SeungJoo has been caught and they found our money!”

 

Zelo and his brothers stared at Yong Guk's dad, not understanding what was going on. Money, what money? Him Chan, Yong Guk, and Young Jae all quickly stood up and ran over to their father.

 

“Appa!” they all shouted “what do you mean?” “How did this happen?” “They asked at once.

 

Their father waved a hand and took a deep breath grinning. “Let me explain, he began excitedly. "We went to the better market to buy food and as we were inside, we ran into Na JiHoon, he said he almost did not recognize me and then he told me that everyone had been looking for us because SeungJoo had been caught. The police could not find us because, well we were homeless at the time and so they could not proceed any further, but now ahaaa!!!” He jumped up and clapped his hands “We have been found and we are rich again!!” He cried.

 

As Yong Guk's father continued to tell them the story, Zelo's father informed his family of the families good fortune.

 

“Rich!” exclaimed DaeHyun and Jong up.

 

Zelo's fathers told them what Yong Guk's father told him as they rode back to the house in the car. They all looked at the family as they cried and celebrated.

 

“We are very happy for you” Zelo's mom said, although her face showed slight sadness.

 

Zelo remained quiet, in silent shock. They were rich when I first saw them, he thought, and then poor and now they are rich again. I must not let on that I know.

 

The 6 boys crowded around each other. “You used to be rich?” Zelo asked quietly.

 

The boys felt a sharp pang of sadness. “Um, y-yes” Yong Guk said avoiding the other's eyes.

 

Zelo seemed to think this over. “Ah, well” he said brightly “H-How fortunate for you, I mean h-how nice for you...” his voice drifted off, unsure of what to say, he was clearly struggling.

 

Yong Guk avoided his eyes and stared at the ground.

 

“Yes” Jong Up said, “I am very happy for you.” Him Chan could only nod slightly.

 

“I am very happy that this good fortune has smiled upon your family” DaeHyun said and Young Jae fought the urge to cry.

 

“Come boys, we are leaving.” Yong Guk's dad suddenly shouted gleefully. The boys all embraced somewhat stiffly and Yong Guk, Him Chan, and Young Jae all promised to visit the family once they had their affairs in order. Zelo's family watched as the family climbed in the back of the black car and with a final wave thru the windows, disappeared in a cloud of dust.