6

3 Rich Brothers & 3 Poor Brothers(3 풍부한 형제 & 3 가난한 형제)

The driver drove the family to the nearest police station and Yong Guk's appa identfied himself and they were led into a back room. Soon, a tall, handsome and stern looking detective came in and seated himself in front of the family of 5.

 

“My name is Detective Choi Seung-hyun, I am very pleased that you have been located safely. We have received word that the Songpa-gu precint has been searching for you.”

 

“Neh, neh. I understand they could not locate us because we were homeless and difficult to find. We had no idea we were being searched for” Yong Guk's dad shook his head. “

 

The detective nodded “Neh, we will tranport you and your family there in a bit. We just have some paper's for you to sign Bang ChungDo so we can finish processing Mihn SeungJoo. Afterwards, we will transport you and your family to Songpa-gu PD to sign paper's there.”

 

“Did your precint capture SeungJoo?” Yong Guk asked.

 

“Aniyo, he was captured by the American police, but he is being held here” the detective said. “We can arrange for you to speak with him if you like Bang ChungDo.” The detective waited as Yong Guk's father considered.

 

This man was like a brother to him and it hurt him greatly that he would do this to him an his family. He would have done anything for SeungJoo, anything. To have been betrayed like this was just hearbreaking.

 

“I think I just want to put this whole nightmare behind me. I have no desire to see him or Kim JongMin. Speaking of him, where is he?”

 

The detective frowned. “We have not been able to locate him, but we are still looking” He assured.

 

Yong Guk's father frowned. “I hope that he will be caught quickly and punished as wel.l”

 

“Neh, we are working hard on your case” The detective assured again. “I do have some paper's, if you will please follow me” The detective rose and Yong Guk's father followed.

 

“I cannot wait to get back home and be rich again. I miss my room and my car” Him Chan grinned happily.

 

“Neh” Yong Guk smiled “I miss our home and the luxuries we had” He sighed happily.

 

“I miss home too” Young Jae said.

 

The brother's began to plan all the things, they would do when they got back home. As they talked their father entered. “It's time to go everyone.

 

They all rose and shook hands and were led out to a waiting car. They arrived at the other police station and Yong Guk's appa was led into another room while the rest of the family waited. During this time all the boys could think about was home, their home. Back to their own rooms and their plush lifestyle. Back to being rich, back to being happy and carefree and not having to worrry about anything. After a few hours, their father appeared, beaming.

 

“It's done, he said happily. We need to go to the bank so I can sign some papers there, but first we go home!”

 

The family cried and hugged each other and headed to a large unmarked police van outside. They rode in content silence, happy to be going home. They soon arrived at their home, it looked so different, so unkept. Noone had lived there in the time they were gone and so there were weeds in the front and trash littered here and there. The fountain in front was dried up and dirty, but it looked like the most beautiful place in the world to the family. They got out of the car and watched as another car pulled up and a lady got out. She was from the company that owned the house and had the keys to the house. She said there was no power yet, but it should be on soon. She handed Yong Guk's dad the keys and the family entered their home. It was still empty, there was trash and dust covering everything and the house had a stale unused odor. Yong Guk's mom began to open the windows to let in fresh air.

 

“I have to go to the bank now. I will be back soon.” the father said happily and hugged each family member.

 

They waved him off and went to inspect the rest of their house. Young Jae went upstairs to his room, it was empty, and there were only a few posters on the wall and trash on the floor. He began to make an attempt to clean up. He was so happy to be home, his heart felt like it would explode.

Him Chan checked his room, althought it was empty, it still looked ok, just trashy and stale. He opened a window and also became to clean up as well.

Yong Guk's room was dusty and stale and very much empty, nothing was in there and his heart ached, but he was still overjoyed to be home again. He smiled a wide gummy smile as he set about cleaning up.

The family began to clean the rest of the home as best they could when the power suddenly came back on and cheers erupted from each member. A car approached and their father came inside arms laden with bags.

 

“Guess who went shopping?” he called.

 

The rest of the family ran to him and peered inside the bags. There were clothes and toiletries and food, and sleeping bags and brand new cell phones. They expressed their happiness as the items were distributed out.

 

“I am sad to say that they were not able to recover all of my money, it will be hard for some time, until I build my business back up. I have called the stores where our items were repossesed, most of them are gone”, he remarked sadly “but they will ship out what they have and some new stuff as well.”

 

The family again hugged and rejoiced, very thankful to be home.

 

 

 

*****          *****          *****          *****          *****          *****           *****           *****           *****           *****           *****           *****           *****           *****

Some time passed and life became normal again for the family. Their home was fully furnished again and their father was busy getting his department store back up and running. The boys had been very, very busy as well. They had been getting back into school and helping their father out. They had also been trying to reconnect with their old friends.

This morning, Young Jae and Yong Guk were in Him Chan's room waiting for him to finish getting ready to go out. Himchan plopped on his plush bed after taking a long hot shower. He would still relish the thought of taking a hot shower, the things he took for granted before, he never knew how much he would appreciate it until it was gone. He grabbed his cell phone and dialed Wu Yifan, one of his old friends, number. The line rang 5 times and Him Chan was about to hang up when the line connected.

 

“Um, hello?,” sounded an extremely arrogant voice, obviously annoyed.

 

“Ah, annyeong Yifan, me and my brother's were going to the rich mall and wanted to see if you and the other guys wanted to meet up there.”

 

He waited and listened, there was a rustling sound over the line and he swore he heard muffled giggling.

 

“Uggghhh, Him Chan? Uuuggghhh, yea I would...” came Yifan's arrogant reply, “but I have some stuff to do, so busy. You said you were going to the rich mall huh?” Here the voice was trying not to laugh.

 

Him Chan could make out someone snickering behind the voice. “Trying to revisit your old hangout points huh?” The voice laughed “Yea, I'll catch ya next time.”

The line abruptly disconnected but not before Him Chan heard raucous laughter before the line went dead. He stared at the phone for a moment unbelieving.

 

“What the actual !!” He yelled jumping up and throwing the phone down. Did I just get blown off?

 

“What's wrong?” Yong Guk asked.

 

Him Chan's eyes shot up, “That Yifan just blew me off and I know because I have done it so many times in the past. What the hell is his problem! I can't believe he just did that to me.”

 

Him Chan thought back to the many times that they have hung out and he had never been blown off, but then I was filthy rich back then. What the ? I'm rich now, he thought heatedly.

 

“Ah, don't worry about it” Yong Guk assured.

 

He could only assure the boy so much, he too had noticed that their old friends seemed different. Things had changed, they had been away so long and the rich life that they were accustomed to had changed, there was a new kind of rich and they simply did not fit that bill. He knew they were only his friends because he, at at that time, had a vast amount of wealth at his fingertips. He was still rich, but not as rich as before. He chose not to concern himself with those things and pushed the thoughts from his mind.

 

“Well, I'm ready” Him Chan grumbled.

 

He grabbed his coat and headed for the door.

 

“Ah, let me get my coat” Yong Guk said “I'll meet you guys downstairs.”

 

Yong Guk entered his room and searched for his coat, as he searched he knocked a small case over and the items inside scattered on the floor. He began to pick them up and then stopped. He stared at a piece of parchment paper on the ground and picked it up with trembling hands. It was the picture that Jong Up had sketched of them so long ago. Memories of the family flashed into his mind and he felt a sharp pang of guilt. They had all promised to visit Zelo's family, but they had not set foot back there since leaving that night. Yong Guk's ached as he thought of Zelo. He felt a tug at his heart and decided that the mall was not important, they were going to see the family right now. He safely stored the picture and headed out.

 

Him Chan and Young Jae were whooping in the car, ready to go. Yong Guk climbed in and drove off. He soon approached the turnoff for the mall but kept going straight.

 

“Yah” Young Jae called “you missed the turnoff.”

 

Yong Guk smiled a gummy smile. “I know...we have to go visit some old friends.”

 

The 2 brothers stared, old friends? Who? All their old friends avoided them. Yong Guk turned a corner and when the poor area came into view, Him Chan and Young Jae's eyed widen as they recongized the area.

 

“Y-yah” Him Chan stuttered. “Are you going to Jong Up-ah's? We-we haven't seen them since we left. Do you t-think they want to see us n-now?”

 

Yong Guk again smiled that gummy smile “I don't know.” he said breezily “but I want to see. I miss him, er them.”

 

The car continued and soon the old neighborhood came into view. It had not changed at all, trash still littered the ground and life was as rough as ever, people stared harshly at them as they passed and kids scattered out of the way staring. They approached the familiar street and stopped. Are they mistaken? Did they turn a wrong corner? Yong Guk looked around, he was sure this was the spot. The home with the broken roof was to the left and the home with the dried plants on the right was there, however in place of where Zelo's home had been was bare. No, not bare there was something there, a burned out shell where a house once stood. Oh my god, Yong Guk thought ,fear rising in his heart, what had happened?