Doors

The Cat´s Trap

 

"Are you going in, or what?"

I was standing in front of the practise room doors. It was Friday, the day the dance club has its training. Heenim was getting impatient because I was in conflict with myself if I really should enter and become a member of the club. I wasn´t prepared to show off my dancing skills and I wasn´t especially prepared to make my move on Donghae. Yes, I had a crush on the boy but he wasn´t really the type to accept my feelings happily, he would rather kill me. But not after he would humiliate me in front of the whole school. I was playing with a fire here and I was sure, I would get burnt. It didn´t seem like a good idea. I had to enter, though, if I didn´t want my little friend´s fangs in my sensitive skin.

So I slowly opened the door. Everyone was already there but no one noticed me standing in the door. Good because I wouldn´t overhear what I wasn´t supposed to know.

"I heard Hyukjae is joining the club. Isn´t that great? I saw the dance battle," young lanky boy exclaimed.

"Idiot! I told him to join so I could get my revenge," Donghae got mad at him, "great my ! His dance was totally sloppy, I didn´t like it a bit. But I´ll make him pay for his insolence!" The dance club president finished.

I quietly closed the door and run across the hallway. Entering the toilets I slumped myself down on the window plate. I felt so stupid and hurt. But it wasn´t because of the fact Donghae wanted to embarrass me once more. What hit me the most was the way he talked about my dance. You may think it´s funny, I should be able to take some critique but dance was something sacred to me. I´ve never dared to dance in front of anyone, not even my parents or best friends. With one exception but that´s not important. When I dance, I show all my inner feelings, my emotions, my soul. It´s as if I was . Saying that I was sloppy was the same as saying I was ugly or disgusting.

"Hyukjae?" Heenim mewled.

"I can´t do this, hyung. I can´t go there and expose myself when all they want is to hurt me," I started sobbing.

"That´s it, Hyukjae. You have to go there and show them that being genuine is your biggest strength. Let that Donghae guy see you at your best. And if he does hurt you, he will regret. Trust me I´ll be next to you. And maybe I could bite him once in a while, neh?"

Hee hyung wasn´t the most sensitive cat but he always said the best thing I needed to hear at the moment. I didn´t know how it´s possible but he understood me so well. I´ll make sure to buy him a stuffed mouse to play with or something.

"O-Okay, hyung. Thanks," I lifted myself up and wiped the tears which found their way out. I headed back to practise room shuffling as slowly as I could. I was scared as hell and braced myself for anything that would follow after I open the door again.

"Oh! Hey, Hyukjae! I heard you decided to join us. I´m so happy, let´s go, I´ll introduce you to everyone!"

Before I could say anything Shindong´s arm clasped tightly my shoulder and I was brought to the room. Shindong shoved me inside and started integrating me to the group of dancers. Some people ran to me enthusiastically, praising my performance from the main hall and some carefully stood at the back. I guess Dongae´s friends or maybe those, who are scared of him. Donghae himself didn´t spare me a single glance.

"Okay, let´s get started since we´re all here. Hyukjae should join too. You’re so awesome, it won´t be a problem for you to learn the dance routines by yourself. I don´t have time to teach you," Donghae said, voice full of annoyance and irony. I felt sick.

I went to the back and the music started. Everyone began dancing to the long practiced routine which I of course didn´t know. I decided to just stand there and remember as much as I could, it was the best option. I watched the dancers carefully not noticing how Donghae kept glancing at me. When the song ended, he turned to me.

"Hyukjae, did you join the club so you could ogle the members? If you want their numbers, you have to ask the girls, you know," the dance club president shot. Is he trying to accuse me of being a ert? And, I´m gay too. It was too funny to get mad over.

"I don´t know the dances yet, let me watch first so I can remember them," I answered calmly. Donghae was disappointed by my simple response and started pushing it more.

"Don´t think so highly about yourself. You don´t have the permission to just stand here and stare. Get out!" What? This was so unfair! How can I learn the routines if I don´t see them. And I can´t see them because I don´t dance. He was being absurd and I felt sudden urge to fight for myself. Hee hyung was right, I had to show him that stepping on someone to get higher yourself isn´t right. I had a plan and I knew I could pull this off.

I bid my goodbye to Shindong and took my things. I put my backpack on and went to the door. Everyone was watching me silently. I could tell some students felt a pity for me. The lanky boy who was talking to Donghae when I first entered the room bowed to me slightly scared to be noticed. I gave him a smile as thanks. Good to know I had some supporters too. I opened the door, but before I slammed them behind myself I heard Dongahe scream.

"Aaaah! What the hell?!"

"What happened, Donghae?"

"My leg! It´s scratched, I´m bleeding! What´s that?!"

I was striding through the hallway with a smile on my face before I was joined by my vicious equally amused feline friend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Soooo, since I got some ecouraging comments, I decided to continue with the story. Thanks :) Have a nice day, everyone!