River

The Cat´s Trap

 

"It should be somewhere around here," the black cat said. I promised we would go on Monday after the classes look for the place from Heenim´s memory. We were wandering around the river and my legs were already tired but I kept silent. We arrived to a concrete bank about one meter high. The side of the concrete was being glazed by the swift flow of the river. The water didn´t seem that deep but when the snow was melting or heavy rain falling, the river could be very dangerous.

"I´m sure it´s here," Heenim looked sadly into the current. Seems like he was reminiscing and I felt a great pain for him. I can´t even imagine how it must feel to be dead. And now he is a ghost unable to rest in peace, forced to remember the suffering again.

"How did you end up in the water anyway?" The bank was very far from the road and behind a metal railing too. If it was an accident, what was he doing here and in a bad weather too. If the weather was good, the river would be calm and shallow, it wouldn´t be easy to drown in it. Only maybe if he was drunk or sick.

"I remember being sad and angry, I was running away. It was storming outside but I didn´t even bring a jacket or an umbrella. I think I wanted to throw something into the water but I lost my balance because of my anger and fell into the river," Heenim answered.

"Throw something? Like you throw away a ring when you break up?" It makes sense. If he for example broke up with his girlfriend that day, he was running out of her house and wanted to get rid of the ring but died by an accident instead. So sad.

"I don´t think it was a ring but I bet-" Heenim started but stopped in the middle of the sentence. He was looking intently into the river and I followed his stare until my eyes landed on a small white object caught under the stone in the shallow water. "Hyukjae, I´m sure it belongs to me!" The cat then exclaimed suddenly happy.

“You are kidding me,” I glared at him.

"Hyukjaeeee," the cat suddenly pleaded and looked at me with its big sad eyes.

"No, no! I´m not going into the water! It´s winter for the god´s sake!" Is he crazy? The water is shallow and the current isn´t too strong today but still there´s no way I would dive in! Aish! I´m too kind. I couldn´t resist his pleading stare even for two minutes before I started taking off my clothes.

"You owe me a big one, get it?" I tried to sound at least a bit angry. I took off my jacket, sweater and my pants, shoes and socks. I felt immediately cold with the wind brushing against my almost body. I sat carefully on the concrete bank and dipped my legs into the water.

"Freaking monkeys! It´s too cold, hyung!" I screamed.

"C´mon, you have to do it quickly or it will hurt you more," Heenim said annoyed and bit my .

"Ow!" I yelped and bent my back. Wrong move. I fell right into the winter river. "Aaaaaaaah," I screamed and stood up. Stupid cat!

"Finally! Now more to the right, it´s near your left leg," the cat wasn´t interested in my suffering. Ugh. Looking into the water I spotted the object. I took a deep breath and dived into the river once more. I pulled the thing on my first try, a headband?

"Are you sure, it´s yours?" I asked holding the accessory in my hand.

"Definitely!" The cat started jumping on the spot. Seriously?! I just jumped into the winter river for this? I´ll kill the cat! Wait, something´s fishy.

"Hyung, you are a ghost, aren´t you? You can´t get wet and I´m sure, you can touch things too," I said and put my hand on my bruised backside.

"Well, it can´t be helped. There´s no need for me to do anything when I have a friend like you," the cat laughed hysterically. Is he saying I´m stupid?! I wanted to get mad but looking at myself I had to agree. What a pitiful sight, I scoffed.

"Hyukjae? What the hell are you doing here?" I snapped my head and saw Donghae sitting on his bike on the other side of the river. God, I´m so lucky today. Donghae just caught me standing almost in the river holding a white headband, talking to no one. He went to the bridge, surely to cross the river and make fun of me. I had less than thirty seconds to dress myself up.

I climbed hastily out on the bank and took off the shirt that got soaked thanks to Heenim. I broke the record in fast dressing when I put on all my clothes. Just in time when I stuffed the wet shirt and the headband into my school backpack, Donghae stopped right in front of me on his bicycle.

"Are you insane?! What if you drowned?!" Donghae yelled and ran to me. I flinched when he grabbed my arms, as if to make sure I´m alive.

"I´m okay, I just dropped something into the water," I tried to defend myself.

"It´s not okay! What if you get sick? Hurry, let´s go before you get pneumonia!" He continued rumbling and took my hand.

"Hey, where are you taking me? I´m fine!" I fought back.

"I´m bringing you home. Tell your mom to make you a hot soup or at least a cup of tea." Donghae ordered. He then sat on his bike and forced me to sit behind him. I had to grab him tightly if I didn´t want to fall down. Donghae was driving as fast as he could. Was he really that worried about me? Maybe he doesn´t hate me so much after all. I thought and leaned my head on his back, I was tired. Donghae brought me home and once more reminded me to take a hot shower and warm up. I thanked him and he smiled at me. Great, another sleepless night. Why does he always have to do something nice just when I am about to forget him. That crooked smile will be my end, I swear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

HeeHyuk funny combo are back. If anyone´s still reading, thank you!! :D Random suju stuff: Siwon: I’m afraid of hurting God’s heart. ,EunHyuk: Ehm, sincerely I’m afraid of Heechul hyung...