Panic

The Cat´s Trap

 

The whole cafeteria was still in shock from Donghae´s blunt statement. Or was it a joke? Luckily after a few long moments the silence was broken by new people entering the room. Kyuhyun and Siwon were arguing about something loudly not noticing the tension inside.

"Donghae surely knows, trust me," Siwon said and went straight to the ginka settled next to me. The three boys started chatting and soon the whole cafeteria was once again filled with different types of noise, clinking of the dishes, laughter and clamour. Sungmin and Taemin joined our table soon too immediately adding their voices to the others. And when Shindong arrived I was completely forgotten, not like I minded. Just a moment ago my heart stopped for a good minute and my body still didn´t regain full consciousness. Donghae was right, I´m useless today.

"I´m not feeling well, Minnie. I´m going home," I quietly told Sungmin and disappeared from the cafeteria before he could ask me any questions. I wasn´t in a state to talk to him right now, I was exhausted from everything that happened this morning. I needed a break. I involuntarily pulled down Donghae´s warm jacket and left it in the practice room instead of my tainted white hoodie. Packing all my stuff, I left the school without telling anyone else and ran home.

When I arrived home I felt a little lost. Then I got a good idea. I hastily pulled out my phone from my pants pocket and scrolled down for the sought number. When I found the contact, I put the device to my ear and prayed while waiting for it to connect.

"Hello?" Came an answer.

"Junsu!" I called back.

"Hyukkie? What´s the matter, aren´t you at school now?" My best friend was worried.

“I-I´m okay. Just you said before your school was closed right now," I stuttered nervously.

"Yeah, since the roof collapsed at the back part…" Junsu confirmed.

"You, do you want to sleep over again? I´m kinda lonely," I trailed off.

"I don´t know what happened but I´ll be there. I need to catch the train so I´ll arrive early in the evening. Wait for me, kay?" The noises were heard from the line.

"Just like that? What about your parents? And you have other plans, don´t you?" I couldn´t believe he would come when I call him so suddenly. Even if we are best friends going all the way from Seoul just for a sleep over and then back in the morning is a bit too much. I was angry at myself for being so weak and calling him over. He must be worried and it´s not like something really big has happened.

"Hyukkie, even if there was nothing wrong going on, I would still come. But you have to tell me all the news about your crush and Heenim! And also you are buying the pizza and snacks! Bye stingy monkey!"

The call was disconnected. That cheeky dolphin! I´ll make sure to buy stuff only I like! But I was still glad Junsu was coming because it meant I would sleep peacefully.

When my mom came back from work, I had to explain why I had ran away from school and invited Junsu over. I didn´t tell her everything but I didn´t lie either. I told her that something happened at school and that Junsu promised to help me out. I wasn´t the type to skip school just to laze around and my mom knew, she also felt I wasn´t quite myself these days. She patted my head and smiled gently at me. And I felt like maybe I should confess about my orientation sometime soon.

"Hyukjae! Junsu is here!" Came a call from downstairs and I ran down to greet my friend. Junsu already expected me with his arms spread and I made sure to jump right into his embrace. We stayed like that for a bit until Junsu threw my on the ground. Then we both laughed. Grabbing snacks and drinks from the kitchen we ran upstairs into my room. I´m sure we will make a big mess and chat till the night and I´ll cry too because I always do.

"So after all that he said you were his lover?" Junsu asked with his mouth full of chips.

"It must have been a joke but it breaks my heart, you know? I really love him and when he says things like that, I just don´t know what to do," I sighed and stuffed my mouth too.

"Maybe I could beat him up?" My dolphin-like friend laughed.

“You can´t! Even though he´s an idiot, I still like him so you can´t hurt him. Even if it´s only one-sided," I buried my head into my pillow.

"Is it already the time for crying? It´s only ten though..." Junsu smirked.

"Yah! I´m not always crying!" I retorted and hit him with the pillow. Suits him well, hehe.

"Oh! I just got an idea!" Junsu suddenly exclaimed. I´m sure my hit did him good. "Tomorrow morning I´ll walk you to school before I leave. You will show me that jerk and he´ll see, muhehehe!"

"See what? What are you planning Junsu?" I don´t have a good feeling about this.

"Trust me Hyukjae, this will be daebak." I was getting scared of tomorrow because I know this brat. He always comes with the most stupid ideas ever and adding my incredible bad luck and unlucky black cat to it, a great disaster is surely coming.

We chatted a bit more but decided to go to sleep early. Junsu was already in his dreamland and I too desperately needed some rest and so I curled into my warm blanket. I shamelessly pretended it was Donghae´s jacket. Heenim laid himself next to me and I started rubbing him between his ears.

"What about you, how are you?" I whispered not to wake Junsu up.

"Why do you worry about me idiot? Don´t you have better things to do?" The cat grumbled but purred delighted by my ministrations nevertheless.

"There´s something I need to tell you but I´m worried you would leave me if I do," I admitted.

"Hmmm, then don´t tell me. I don´t want to know and leave you. You can always say it later, okay?" Hee hyung unexpectedly said.

"Mmmm," I hummed sleepiness already overtaking me.

"But still that Junsu kid is a genius. I myself wouldn´t think of a better plan. You´ll need lots of strength so sleep well Hyukjae," hyung purred for the last time and I finally fell asleep with my hand protectively wrapped around the unlucky feline ghost.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The story should finish soon. I made it too long :) Listening to "Ride me" to keep me awake today. Random SJ stuff: Sukira long time ago. It´s such a nonsense that I had to put it here :D One cm makes the distance between people too far.

Leeteuk: Eunhyuk, if you were to grow taller, how tall would you want to be?
Eunhyuk: 180 is too tall. Honestly, 179.
Leeteuk: Ah, ah, me too.
Eunhyuk: 180 is too burdensome
Leeteuk: Feels like the distance between people is too far
Eunhyuk: 179 is not too tall, and not too short, it’s just nice.
Leeteuk: If we are 179 barefeet, with shoelifts, it would be around 183, it’s too perfect.
Eunhyuk: yes, yes, sigh, it would be good if we could grow taller.