Battle

The Cat´s Trap

 

The main hall was being filled with students from all grades. Even a few teachers came to watch the show. Officially they came to stop a possible fight but everyone knew they wouldn´t do anything when Donghae was the fighter. There were too many people for my taste; the only exception was a small space in the middle, the battle ground. The truth started falling on me. I was nervous.

"Hey, Hyukjae! Don´t worry, I´ll teach you my best moves. Ta-ta-ta!" The cat under my legs started jumping, sliding and turning around me. It looked totally comical. I had to laugh at the sight.

"You must be pretty confident. That´s a pity, I was hoping to find you here crying and trembling," Lee Donghae came on the scene.

I wanted to say something but I heard someone trying to silent the crowd. I looked after the familiar voice and saw Shindong standing on a table. Under him were Sungmin and Ryeowook. Sungmin didn´t look at me.

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the dance battle!" Shindong roared and everyone was looking at him while clapping they hands. "Here we have the school most handsome boy, Lee Donghae!" The ginka went to stand into the circle waving his hands and sending flying hearts. "And this is his opponent monkey-like brave guy, Lee Hyukjae!” Thanks hyung for my introduction. I went to join Donghae to the middle of the battle ground.

"Are you ready? Gyuri, music start!" Shindong yelled into a small walkie-talkie and in a few seconds loud music burst out of the school amplions. Good choice of the song.

Even if Donghae couldn´t dance he would still leave everyone around in awe. He had tight black jeans and a white wife beater hidden under the checked shirt. His brown hair was styled messily and his habit of his lips made him look incredibly y. On top of it Donghae actually could dance and really well. I could tell he wanted to show off. He did all his best moves including back flips and hip s. His dance style was difficult and complicated, very hard to outdo or even copy. He did his best but I knew he could do better. His performance was technically perfect; it had no feeling, though. Donghae wanted to beat me completely, to ruin me and show he´s the best. Completely different from the way he dances alone in the practise room. I could win.

In the middle of the song Donghae gestured me to come and try. He stepped aside making a space for me. My only chance to win was by being myself. I had my favourite yellow pants held by a black belt so they wouldn´t fall. I had only simple white tee with a diamond imprint. I felt the most comfortable in these clothes and I imagined myself dancing alone. As always dancing just to release my stress from school. And so I imagined Sungmin, my friend who abandoned me and then Hee hyung. I was filled with emotions and let them use my body as they wish. I simply moved to the beat sometimes moving fast and then suddenly slowing down. I made a turn and a wave after that. I didn´t need to do a handstand or anything else. Only moonwalk and simple gestures with my long fingers were enough to make everyone speechless. It was my biggest talent and I regretted showing it to the whole school like that. It was my secret world and I didn´t want to let anyone inside. With that I ended my dance.

The music stopped and after a short silence people started clapping their hands and screaming. I heard both Donghae´s and mine names, cheers and whistles. I bowed to them. Ryeowook and Shindong came running to me, hugging me tightly. Many people were suddenly around me and Donghae. It took some time before the crowds dispersed.

"Hyukjae," I turned around to see the ginka himself. I expected him to mock me again but he gave me his hand instead. I was surprised at first but I fast recovered and shook his hand. "You should join the dance club," he said and was about to go back but then he furrowed his eyebrows and looked me in the eyes.

"You´re a really strange person, Hyukjae. You should be happy but you look like you´re about to cry," Donghae shook his head and left.

Then I realised I really wanted to cry. I felt tired, exposed and betrayed. I felt disgusted with myself. What am I trying to pull here? Something was nuzzling my leg. I looked down at the black cat purring its heart out.

"Hee hyung?" He raised his head. "Am I doing the right thing?" I just lost a friend and almost cried in front of the whole school.

"How should I know? But I just wrote your name on the dance club member list," Heenim purred.

"You did what?!"

"I´m not stupid, Hyukjae," I was getting scared, that cat is dangerous, "your big crush is that Donghae guy, right?" Ugh. I really hate cats. As always Heenim hit the spot.

Yes, I had a crush on Lee Donghae and I felt stupid because of it. I was caught in his trap just like all those noisy girls he kept flirting around with. I fell for his dancing and then those charming eyes. I was smitten the moment he looked at me. We´ve never interacted much and I was glad. First, I was blushing when he was too near and second, he was the biggest jerk ever. I wanted to stop liking him but it was futile. So I just let it go waiting for a chance to forget him. My silence was an answer for the knowing cat.

"As I thought! Let´s start a new operation then!" Heenim announced.

"What are you planning again? I´m not listening to you anymore!" I already knew his plan.

"Of course I´m getting you two together. And don´t you dare not listen to me or I´ll bite your the moment you enter the classroom!"

"You wouldn´t!"

"Wanna bet?" He was serious. I gulped and shook my head.

"Good. We´re going shopping. You need some pretty outfits for your dance club practises. And some y underwear too!"

"Hyung!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So how´s the story so far? This is much more harder than the treasure island. I feel like I´m writing rubbish..