Chapter 35

(ED. C4) SEIJIRA ACADEMY 세이지라 아카데미
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

               It was downright unfair, I was not even allowed to go near the infirmary. And not just that, Kai was paged to stand by my door, so I can’t get the hell out of my room.

 

                I mean, it’s just plain right to let me in! It was I after all who warned the faculty of Luhan’s return. WELL, it was actually me and Sehun but...

 

                What I’m just saying is... WHY CAN’T I SEE LUHAN?!!!

                HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW HIS CONDITION?!!!

               

                I can’t stand it, knowing that the faculty members along with the headmaster himself completely barred the infirmary so no one can get through. I’m Seijira’s heir for pete's sake!  I have the right to know what happened and why he came back like he’s close to dying…

 

                Pacing from left to right in my room for about an hour now, I stopped in my tracks and shook my head hard. No, I shouldn’t be thinking like this. He’s alive Mi Yeon. That’s what’s important, and I know very much that the healers can treat him in no time.

 

                Still, it would really help if I could see him. I want to be assured that he’s really back, that he's going to be okay…

 

                It didn’t help that the look on his face like he’s hurting so much kept popping in my head. The way he clutched his side and the way his clothes got ripped and stained with his own blood...

 

                If this keeps up, I’m definitely going crazy.

 

                Taking a deep breath, I walked to my door and opened it a bit hesitantly. The first thing I saw is Kai. Of course. He’s standing there with a firm posture, like he was expecting me to suddenly bolt out of my room and try to escape him. His eyes were warier than usual and that gave his thoughts away.

 

                “Look, Kai—" I started.

                “No, Mi Yeon,” he said, not even letting me finish.

                “I really have to—"

                “No.”

                “But—"

                “There’s nothing you can do, anyway,” he said in his low voice, piercing me with his dark eyes. “You would just slow down the process of his recovery if you interfere."

 

                I wasn’t able to answer him and immediately looked down on my feet. I know he’s right but he could have put it in a better way. His words always hurt me.

 

                “Besides…” Kai continued, as if he still isn't satisfied with the damage he has done. “You have to rest. We’re leaving tomorrow, in case you’ve forgotten.”

                “Tomorrow?” I said, now looking at him like he’s crazy. “There’s no way we can do it tomorrow. Luhan is injured! We should wa—"

                “Wait and what?” Kai said impatiently. “Let the enemy find what we need first? Are you kidding? We’re already running late Mi Yeon. You should learn how to have a professional attitude. The world isn’t going to stop just because Luhan is hurt. Stop being a kid and get a life.”

 

                What he said is still true. I know it myself. But it just angered me more. What does he know? He’s not inlove with anybody. How dare he judge me, and why in the world is he getting heated up too? 

 

                With my hand balled to my side and eyebrows completely furrowed, I let out what I have to say, not caring if he’s my friend, my warrior or what.

 

                “I’m so sorry I can’t be PROFESSIONAL, and I’m sorry too that I’m so CHILDISH,” I snapped, emphasizing the words he used. “I just care so much for Luhan and clearly you don’t understand what it feels to be sitting here while someone so significant in your life is dying. So, stop being a know-it-all Kim Jongin because you don’t know what it’s like to be me!”

 

                I was trying my best to be mean, without caring much about the consequences. The anger is just coursing through my veins and if I don’t let my stress out, I might just hang myself or something.

 

                Apparently, my words must have not done its effects or maybe he’s just too thick, because it doesn’t seem to affect him very much. However, I saw something shift in his eyes. I don’t know if it’s just the lighting or something else but my thoughts were easily pushed aside when he suddenly smirked and I was just plain aghast by this.

 

                “Seijira’s heir, huh…” he muttered under his breath like he finds the idea funny.

                “What?” I said, enraged and perplexed at the same time.

                He then fixated his dark eyes on me and suddenly, I felt like I couldn’t move. There was something deep and mysterious in his eyes, and for once in my life, I felt really really scared of him, like he could kill me if he so desires. 

 

                It didn’t help that the images of him running with a knife at hand, the very same scene I saw in the flecter before, flashed in my mind.

 

                “You don’t even know me,” he said as his smirk from before completely faded from his face.

 

                Right there and then, I realized something.

 

                He’s right. I don’t know him.

 

                “Do what you want,” he said, turning his back on me and leaving without another word.

 

                I watched him as he walked away, a feeling of guilt suddenly coursing through my veins. That’s the problem. He’s Kai. Dark, mysterious and edgy. He doesn’t let anybody in his life. And I doubt in a thousand years I would get to know even a bit of his life.

 

                That’s when I realized what I’ve seen before. The shift in his eyes. There was sadness in them and I was just too blind to have just realized it. 

 

                What the hell is wrong with him?

 

                And eventhough I wanted so bad to know what’s happening in the infirmary, I just turned back in my room and tried my best to sleep, so I would forget what just happened.

               

              

 

                “Mi Yeon, can I talk to you for a minute?” the headmaster said.

                “Yes,” I quickly responded and followed after his retreating figure.

 

                It was already 8:30 in the morning. The seven and I were already gathered in the lobby, waiting for the signal to finally leave. All of us were set, just wearing casual clothes. I, for one, is wearing a normal blue coat on top of my white shirt and matching jeans and sneakers like I’m just going to go shopping. My protectors are each carrying a backpack with all the necessary things they could fit in it. Of course putting a lot would only be a bother for the travel. It would slow down the pace. So, we figured we  just have to get the other things we need on the outside world. That of course includes some badass snatching. 

 

                I honesty don’t feel good about it but there’s no other way.

 

                Luhan was of course not around. I kind of expected it, that he’s not coming with us but I still can’t help but feel a little sad and distraught. No one’s even telling me what happened after Sehun and I  left him in the infirmary. I’m hoping the headmaster would talk some sense to me about that.

               

                From the corner of my eyes, I saw Kai delving something in his backpack. However, before he could even see me watching him, I already turned away. The memory of last night is still fresh in my mind and the ill feelings I’m harboring towards him is still there. However, the look on his eyes back then was still bothering me, eventhough I know it shouldn’t and that I mustn't care at all about his past or anything. Still, I figured I should make up with him soon. It’s no good for the circle to be disunited this early. He was right. I can’t let things fall apart because of some incident. If I did, it would definitely mean the failure of this mission.

 

                I sighed exasperatedly at the thought. Really, it hasn’t even started yet and I’m already a failure as a leader. How good can this get?

 

                Messed-up relationship with protectors. Absent warrior. Weak heir.

 

                It’s just great. Way to be positive. 

 

                “Are you afraid?” the headmaster, as soon as we were far from the hearing range of others, turned around to watch my face. There was something like fatherly aura around him and I kind of wanted to keep it in my memory. It’s not everyday that you get to have a father, even if it’s not your biological one. 

 

                “Sort of. More of shaken, for the use of better description, ” I admitted. “I never thought this day would come. I thought when I first came here to Seijira, I’m just going to stay here forever and never see the light of the outside world again.”

                “It’s just that,” I continued when the headmaster didn't say anything. “I secretly wished to be able to come out, but I never imagined that it would be like this. Me saving the world, I mean.”

                “Do you remember what you saw in the flecter?” the headmaster asked me, putting a consoling hand on my left shoulder.

                “Yes,” I said and shrugged.

                “Good,” he said, smiling. “You have to overcome those fears Mi Yeon, because if you let them eat you up, those might just come true.”

                “Uhmmm…” I said, a bit hesitantly. “I don’t think that’s a very nice thing to say right now, sir.”

 

                And despite all the seriousness of the situation, the headmaster let out a warm chuckle. I watched as his eyes glow with delight and I suddenly remembered the happy times I spent with Luhan. It did not help at all boost my confidence. 

 

                “I know…” the headmaster said. “But sometimes, what you hate hearing will get you through the reality. Most of the time, Mi Yeon, fear is what drives us to move and that’s why it’s important for everyone to acknowledge what they are scared of. This is of course, based from personal experience. I’m sure you will get to understand soon enough.”

                “I think I kind of understand half of it already sir,” I responded, thinking of the way Luhan scrambled inside his own room.

 

                The headmaster seemed to be able to read my thoughts and a tinge of sadness flicked on his face. However, before I could even react, he already changed the topic.

               

                “It is important, Mi Yeon, that you stick to the plan,” the headmaster reminded me.

 

                The plan. We talked about it before, back during one of the days of training. I was suddenly called up in his office to discuss about the things that I should not forget. The thing is, the moment we step out of the gates, we are no longer protected by the magic of the school. In other words, we are completely bare with nothing but Seijira’s grace to keep us safe and that’s not even reliable at all times. Even, I, who is his heir, don’t know how to channel well the red light that  just comes out when I feel a strong emotion about something. Like for one, when I saw Chanyeol getting hit by Tao accidentally and sent him flying all the way up to the bleachers in the arena, I just screamed and suddenly Chanyeol was enveloped in a sort of red light that I know I produced. Right then, he was able to land slowly and safely back to the ground. After that, the warriors expected much more from me but I couldn’t produce it again. Kyungsoo said that maybe I just need to find the driving force within me but so far, there’s no luck in that. So, in the end, they just went back to their own training. Anyway, that’s not the point now. What I’m just saying is, the moment we step out, we would most likely get attacked right away. The headmaster and the other faculty members are pretty sure that there is a spy lurking outside the gates. Seeing how Luhan returned barely alive, I can tell that they’re not kidding about it.

 

                So, the plan is we’re going to ride the van to get out as far as possible from the school. Two vans actually. We’re going to have to separate into two groups. The first group includes me, Luhan, Sehun, Xiumin, and Kyungsoo, the other group who would leave first using a different route is composed of Tao, Kris, Kai and Chanyeol. They would be the bait group in case someone’s really waiting for us to come out. I’ve already told them this. The idea was actually pretty straightforward and dangerous. Still, they said they would do fine, and so I should stop worrying unnecessarily. I don’t know about that. I still have butterflies in my stomach thinking how I’m setting this task for them.

 

                Anyway, after that, the vans will drop us off to a place of our choice and the search will begin without the help of the others. The headmaster told me that it would be wise to choose to start in a place that is crowded because that would actually cover us up for a while. Plus, mortal scent would help too. The headmaster told me that there are actually allies of the enemy that could smell duireans, in a way better than the seekers of the academy could. It was the fir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter