Chapter 27

(ED. C4) SEIJIRA ACADEMY 세이지라 아카데미
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                 The rest of the day, my mind kept wandering back to what happened in the cafeteria. So that’s what Seijira meant when he said that he’s giving me the capability to recognize. I can practically figure out the duire they hold even before I see them in practice. This would give me a leverage now at least. I will not be fooled again like how Ji Hye deceived me with her duire. That, though, of course, remained to be seen. I guess, this recognition thing would not work on the enemy. As the headmaster said, they’ve separated their roots from us. So even when those bullies from earlier hate me, they are still under my jurisdiction, unlike Ji Hye and her own horde who formed a faction outside my range.

 

                Just when my thoughts were about to shift to another problem, right at the point where my white ceiling was beginning to replicate again the night sky outside with just a few streak of not-so bright stars, knocks were heard rapping gently on my door. Then, without further ado, a note was slipped through the small space under it. Curiously, I hopped off the bed and picked the letter. It says,

 

                Tomorrow will be the day your identity will be let out officially, as was decided. A general assembly will be called in the morning. Have a good night. -L

 

                As soon as I finished reading it, knocks were again heard and I opened the door immediately without thinking.

 

                “I just wanted to know if you’ve read it,” Luhan said. “Good night.”

 

                I looked at him like a lost child. He stepped back immediately and leaned on the wall opposite the door like a bodyguard, the same position I found him in early this morning. This must mean he’s going to pull an all-nighter again, like Seijira’s true chosen warrior.

 

                I didn’t know what to feel right at that moment. I felt confused, sad, angry and worthless. Why was he doing this? Why should he be putting himself in such a difficult position just for me? Why should he be compelled to go against the odds for someone he barely knows? It pained me to think that he could be doing this to another girl if by any chance, I’m not the beholder.

 

                Sometimes, it’s just too much for life to be predetermined when you could have choices instead.

 

                “Can you stop?” I said in an almost inaudible tone as my thoughts kept whirling inside my head. “Just ignore me, please, Luhan-ssi.” It’s been a while since I called him by name. It felt weird rolling out of my tongue.

 

                “I won’t,” he said firmly and immediately in answer to my request. He stared at me with those piercing brown eyes of his. “Not until you talk to me.”

 

                “Look,” I sighed exasperatedly. Just then, as I was raising my arm a little bit to emphasize a gesture, my arm got grazed by the nail that was sticking on the side of the door. For a little thing, it was still kind of painful. A red line started forming at once, and even before I could let out a small whimper, Luhan was suddenly in front of me and his left hand held my arm gently to examine the small wound.

 

                “Be careful, would you?” he said sternly. He took out a piece of band aid in one of his jean pockets and stuck it over the wound.

 

                I watched him as he did all that with a little too much concentration. He was so close to me that I can breathe in his baby-soap-like natural smell that I’ve always loved about him. He was so close that my heart started beating against my chest even when I’ve told it a hundred times in my head not to. 

 

                I wiggled my arm out of his grasp and immediately averted my gaze downwards, right where my shoes are. I could feel him watching me but I only have enough constraint for one day.

 

                “Stop…please,” I said once again, but this time my voice betrayed me in the end. 

 

                Immediately, not caring about my disposition, I ran back to my room and closed the door behind, hoping that if I do, my heart would close too.

               

                And though I know Luhan could have had open my room with just a single flick of his fingers, he chose not to.

 

--------------------------------------

 

               “It’s time,” a voice coming outside my room said.

 

                I took one last look at the mirror and straightened my uniform. As usual, I looked pale and out of it. If Krystal was only here, maybe she could do something about it. But then again, I’m not one to wear make-up. Finally, I stepped out of the mirror’s view and with a loud sigh, I headed for the door.

 

                The first one I saw was my adviser.  There were four other faculty members with him. One was the librarian, then my duire practical teachers and two others I only knew by face from getting to pass each other on the hallway. It was kind of weird that Luhan was not there this time, but I guess it would be better for us to have a little space from each other . Right after I stepped out of my room in clear view of them, they all bowed their head and I felt myself flush red. I’m just not used to being respected like this, more because they are the elder ones, and I should be the one showing my respect to them. As I was about to do the same thing, my adviser said, “You must not,” I stopped halfway and looked at him in alarm as he continued, “…bow your head to anyone.”

 

                It was the first time for me to be reprimanded when I think I'm doing the right thing. Everything’s going abnormal for me and I know that after this day, the abnormalities would only increase.

 

                “The headmaster and the other faculty members are all in the lobby now. They are waiting for you before the assembly starts,” Mr. Ryu informed me, and because I didn’t know what to say, I just stood still.

 

                My adviser gave me an encouraging smile and gestured for me to go forward.

 

                “After you,” he said.

 

                When he said that, the other four faculty lined in pairs after him. And I just knew what they were trying to convey. They want me to take the lead because I am Seijira’s chosen, I’m the one who should know better. They trust me to do my duty and bring back stability in our world. Suddenly, I felt the heaviness of my load weigh down my shoulders.

 

                Still, I didn’t say anything because I don’t want to be told again of the things that I must do. I closed the door behind me and headed to the staircase that will bring us all down to the lobby. As soon as I shifted my feet, they started following me like they don’t know the way themselves.

 

                As we were going down the stairs from the third floor to the second floor, I immediately saw and heard the commotion in the lobby. The faculty and the headmaster, accompanied with some government officials who I have only seen in TV, were all seated comfortably on the chairs provided on the second floor landing that I assumed served as our stage for the day. There was a podium on the middle which was a mere meter away from the first step that would lead downwards. The whole student body were all standing at the first floor, bustling to get lined up. I thought before that there were only about a hundred students in the school. Looking at it now, it kinda seemed like there were three hundred at least, many of them seemed like new recruits. I haven’t seen many of the faces in the crowd. Am I this unobservant or did something happen that I do not know?

 

                When the headmaster saw me, he immediately stood up and all the others on the second floor landing followed him. Most of the students stopped what they were doing and looked at what caught the faculty’s attention. When they saw, however, I could see some surprised faces jotting out of the crowd. It has most probably even surprised them that five faculty members are following behind me. Just when I reached the landing, all of them bowed to me. I did not bow back this time, having learned my lesson, and not any of them appeared offended with my actions. Immediately, the headmaster gestured for me to sit on the vacant chair beside him. I quickly obeyed and soon all I can hear is silence f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter