Chapter 18

(ED. C4) SEIJIRA ACADEMY 세이지라 아카데미
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                 Luhan remained elusive for the following days and it’s getting on my nerves. It didn’t help that I often see him and Ji Hye together. I wonder if something is going on between them. In any case, I don’t appreciate Luhan still coming to lunch with us. If he doesn’t want to associate himself with me anymore, why not just do it all the way? It’d be better if he just go away and disappear.

 

               Why is he being so difficult?!  I AM SO FREAKING MAD AND IRRITATED!!!!

 

                “Yaaaa!!!” Krystal yelled at me from across the room, her beautiful face all scrunched up. “If you are so frustrated studying, you can just go to sleep. Stop venting your frustration on your hair!!!”

 

                It was only when she said that that I realized that I have both of my hands on my head. My math notebook lay opened and untouched on my desk. I realized too that I haven’t even been making an effort to study for the past hour. All I did was stare and stare and stare. It’s even already dark outside.

 

                I sighed. So now, the thought of Luhan is even nagging me like an annoying tape on replay. Great. Just great. Way to flunk my grades even more.

 

                “I’m sorry,” I apologized to Krystal who was still fixing her jewels on her closet. “I’m just stressed out.”

                “I know…” Krystal sighed and looked at me with a sympathetic look. “And I’m sorry for yelling at you. It’s just…Mi Yeon, don’t dumb yourself down for a guy. It’s not worth it.”

 

                So she knew. Of course, I thought to myself. Krystal always knows things, even those that remains unsaid.

 

                “I’m going to sleep first,” I said in resignation and turned off my desk light.

 

                “Good night.”

 

---------

 

                I skipped lunch again.

 

                I mean, apart from not eating, I did not follow Krystal, Ji Hye, and Luhan to the cafeteria. I know, it’s very childish of me, but I seriously can’t watch Luhan and Ji Hye anymore.

 

                In the classroom, it was very tranquil. I lay my head on top of my desk like it was too heavy to keep it up in the air for much long. I closed my eyes in an attempt to sleep but as usual, just seeing the dark scares me. So, just after five minutes of being alone, I was bored and depressed.

 

                Suddenly, I heard footsteps coming inside the room. I looked up lazily only to see Kai walking back to his own desk, sipping a carton of orange juice like he’s starring in his own commercial. I watched him silently, not even caring that it’s rude to stare. I mean, I might have forgotten to tell you, but it is strictly forbidden to bring food in the classroom, even more to actually eat or drink (it’s okay as long as it is water) inside. And here, Kai is sitting comfortably on his own place, showing me without any concern or even a hint of reconciliation that he’s doing something completely wrong.

 

                “Mwo ya?” I stated, eyeing his actions warily. “Are you so comfortable with me now to show me how you break rules?”

 

                Kai stopped sipping, looked at me and said in that cool, deep voice of his, “You broke curfew before.”

                “Well, I did, yes,” I answered hastily, immediately flushing red at the memory of him seeing me about to do something really stupid. Kai put on a somewhat swag expression as if he proved his point quite well. I said, “But, you were there too.”

 

                Kai merely shrugged my rebuff and said, “Well, at least I’m not sulking.”

 

                I did not say anything and just stared at him blankly. I watched as he finished his drink, crumped it in one hand and threw it inside his school bag. Even, when he gazed at me intensely with those dark eyes, I did not speak.

 

                What is with him? Why does he always say strong words? Why does he always watch what I am doing? Am I really that readable? Am I being too obvious?

 

                Am I really sulking?

 

                I sighed and immediately felt frustrated at how things were going. 

 

                Just then, just as everything was starting to get awkward and the aura in the room was getting dangerously low, Luhan entered the room. I looked at him and saw that he was already assessing the situation inside. Finally, when he locked eyes with me, I was so sure that he’s going to say something, but then, he just shrugged it out. Suddenly, I felt that familiar tug in my head which I know was about to sweep the strands of my hair almost covering my eyes back behind my ear. However, before it completely added to the pile of hair at the side of my face, it loosely went back to its original messy position. I know, it could have been the wind, but at that moment, I just knew that he stopped. He let go of that situation. Rightly enough, when I looked up to where Luhan was a while ago, the spot held no sign of life. Luhan already went out of the room, and stealthily at that too.

 

                It’s frustrating and hopeless, but even when I know that he must have already gone back to the cafeteria, to Ji Hye and Krystal, I kept staring at the open door, wishing that he’ll appear like some sort of wizard or magician. I waited and waited like a child waiting for her toy to come. And though it’s really pathetic, every passing minute felt like I was being pulled deeper and deeper into the sea.

 

                “You know…” Kai suddenly spoke but it felt like we are a hundred miles apart, like there’s a bad telephone connection that can only echo in between the layers of the wind. “He’s really smart.”

 

                “What do you know?” I asked in a weak sarcastic tone, looking at him slowly.

               

                “I know,” Kai said with confidence in his voice, tantalizing me once again with his eyes. “…because I’m a guy, too.”

 

                “You know what?” I said, standing up indignantly, “I’m really not in the mood for clichés.”

 

                Without thinking of what my actions would look like to anyone who could have seen me, I walked out of the room. I know, I probably shouldn’t have done it but I was already too fed up with my own thoughts, I felt I’d do better if I kick a rock or something. I didn't even have any idea where I'm going. All I know is I have to go out of that classroom to get some fresh air. 

 

                And so, I was startled when I heard someone speak. Someone familiar. Someone I know…

 

                Or used to.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter