Our chocolate quiz

Our story

 

*school bell rings*

 

“Eh? Is that the bell? All right everyone, you can close your books, it’s recess time, class dismissed,”

 

*everyone stands up*

 

“Thank you, Jaesuk-ssi,”

 

Kikwang was busily packing his books and stationery into his bag while Yoseob was just lazily lying down on his desk with a frown on his face, “Oi, get up, I need someone to take me around the school,” whispered Kikwang.

 

“Tch, no way, go and find someone else,”

 

“Haih… I hate to admit this but you’re the only one I know in this school, so help your brother out for once, eh?” pleaded Kikwang.

 

Yoseob sat up straight for a moment and turned his attention to the back of the class. “See all those girls over there going googly eyes over you, go and ask them,” said Yoseob.

 

“Aish, Yoseob-ah, don’t be like th-”

 

“Kikwang!”

 

Kikwang looked around to see who called him, “Oh? Min! What are you doing here?” said Kikwang with a surprised look on his face.

 

“I’m in this class dummy,” Min answered jovially. “What’s up with him?” asked Min, turning her attention to Yoseob.

 

“Oh him? Ignore him,” Kikwang said, smiling. “Anyways, Min, I need your help. Can you guide me around the school for today? Shortie here’s not much of a help,”

 

“Sure, but first I need to introduce you to a couple of my friends,” said Min. “It’ll only take a while, please..”

 

“Huh.. Okay let’s go,”

 

“Oi, oi! are you really gonna ignore me just like that?”

 

“Huh? Kikwang-ssi, did you heard something?”

 

“Nope, absolutely nothing,”

 

“Haha, funny guys,” Yoseob said while getting up and following them from the back. “For the record, I’m taller than Kikwang you know,”

 

Min giggled when he heard him. “My seat’s over there, it’s not that far from Yose-.. I mean, shortie. And those two are the friends that I was telling you about,” Min said while pointing towards Joon and Soyeon.

 

“Oh, ok. Hi there!” Kikwang said while waving towards both of them.

 

“Hey, Kikwang was it? My name’s Park Soyeon, call me Soyeon,”

 

“And I’m Lee Joon, some people call me ‘ace’, but you can just call me Joon,” Joon said while shaking hands with Kikwang. “What’s up with him?” Joon said when he saw the frown on Yoseob’s face.

 

“Oh? Do you know him?” asked Kikwang.

 

“Him? Oh, shortie here? Nope. Do you?” Soyeon said coolly

 

“Nope, I’ve never seen him before in my entire life,” Kikwang said, smiling.

 

Yoseob just stood there, gaping in disbelief. Then two boys came over to Kikwang.

 

“Oi, new guy, yeah, hi. The name’s Simon D,” said one of the boys while shaking Kikwang’s hand. “This here’s Myeonghun, he’s the class monitor,”

 

Myeonghun reached out for a handshake. “Hi there, it’s nice to mee-”

 

“He doesn’t talk much so ignore him,” interjected Simon D. “So I was wonde- What’s up with him?” looking over at Yoseob.

 

“Him? Oh, just ignore him,” said Kikwang.

 

“Ok cool. So I was wonde-,”

 

“Ehem, Ya, forehead, can’t you see we’re kind of busy here, get in line,” said Soyeon.

 

“Shut up, you old hag, he’s way out of your league,”

 

“What did you say?! Hah, don’t tell me you’re still mad over what happened last week,” Soyeon said loud enough for the whole class to hear, with an annoyed look on her face.

 

“What?! Last week? Nothing happ-,” Simon D was suddenly aware that the whole class was staring at him. “I’m telling you nothing happened last week!,” Simon D said to the whole class. When everyone continued staring at him, he said, “Ugh, damn it, fine you win!”. Then he stormed out of the class.

 

“Haha, serves you right!” Soyeon said, then she stick her tongue out. “Myeonghun, what are you doing here? Scram,”

 

“Ye-yes Ma’am!”. And then Myeonghun ran out of the class. Soyeon just watched and then she laughed by herself.

 

“That’s Soyeon for you,” Joon said. “So, how did you know Min?” Joon asked Kikwang.

 

“Huh? Oh right, we’re like, childhood friends, she’s been my neighbor since 3rd grade,” answered Kikwang.

 

“Hehe, actually, you had a crush on me back then didn’t you?” giggled Min.

 

“Haha, yeah I did,” said Kikwang, laughing it off. “Um, excuse me, sorry about this, but, what really happened between you and him last week?” Kikwang asked Soyeon.

 

“Truthfully? Nothing, I just said that to get rid of him,”

 

“Okaayy…”

 

“Hahaha, you’ll get used to it, anyways is there anything you’d like to know?” laughed Min.

 

“Yeah, uhm, is there anyone in particular that I have to look out for in this class?”

 

“Hmm.. Let’s see, you’ve obviously met Simon D there, he might look a bit cocky, but he’s actually a really nice guy,” said Joon.

 

“There’s us, and Myeonghun’s the class rep.. Oh right, the girl sitting next to you is Hyosung, she’s not coming today because she’s sick. She’s the assistant monitor. She’s really reliable and clever. Basically if you want anything done, you tell her about it, since Myeonghun’s so useless..,” explained Min.

 

“Ah.., so that’s why I can’t choose that seat. Guess I’m pretty lucky to sit next to her, eh?” said Kikwang while nudging Yoseob.

 

“I thought you were ignoring me,”

 

Kikwang gave him a sly smile, “Do you want us to ignore you?”

 

“N-No, that’s okay, don’t ignore me,”

 

“Hyosung’s the lucky one to sit next to you…, why don’t I ever have that kind of luck?” Soyeon mused by herself.

 

“Well, you have me don’t you?” Joon said with a smile.

 

Soyeon looked at Joon with the corner of her eyes. “My point exactly,”

 

“Hahaha! Wait, what?”

 

“Hahaha, maybe if you weren’t so sly all the time you’d have better luck,” laughed Kikwang.

 

“Wah, the new guy cracks a joke,” exclaimed Soyeon.

 

Everyone was laughing around when Kikwang sees a girl quietly sitting in a corner of the class reading her book.

 

“Yoseob-ah, who’s that?” asked Kikwang.

 

“Hmm? Oh that’s… What was her name again?”

 

Min cuts into the conversation, “That’s Seohyun, she doesn’t talk much,”

 

“Right! Seohyun! She’s also a new student just like you, she came in around.. last month..?” exclaimed Yoseob.

 

The girl looked up at the group when she heard her name being mentioned. Kikwang waved at her, but she just smiled at him and returned her attention towards her book. Kikwang looked surprised by how the girl reacted.

 

“Why, surprised that a girl doesn’t fall head over heels for you?” asked Yoseob.

 

“No, it’s nothing. Anyway, does this happen all the time?” pointing towards all the other girls who was staring and giggling at him.

 

“Pretty much. Except for a couple of girls, such as yours truly, the girls in this school are ers for pretty boys. It used to be Joon,” said Soyeon, who then switched to a whisper, “but after they found out how dumb he is, they lost interest,”

 

“Really? He can’t be that du-”

 

“Take a look at this,” Soyeon said to Kikwang, and then turned her attention towards Joon. “Joon, how many sides does a rectangular box have?”

 

“Hmm? Easy, two. Inside and outside,”

 

“I stand corrected,” mused Kikwang.

 

“Yoseob also had quite a number of fans, but not quite as much as you,” said Min.

 

“It’s called keeping a low profile,” answered Yoseob.

 

“Yeah right,” Soyeon said while giving a smirk to Yoseob. “Of course, this is talking about the guys in our class only, if you want to mention about the seniors and other classes, well, let’s just say you won’t be going home tonight,”

 

“So to put it simply, the school has a lot of pretty boys, right?” asked Kikwang.

 

“Wah, you catch up pretty quickly don’t you,” answered Joon. “Anyway, what’s your relationship with Yoseob here? I heard you’re his brother,”

 

“Me? I’m not related to him,” said Kikwang innocently.

 

“Ya! You think I want to be your brother?”

 

“They’re twins,” interrupted Min coolly. “Getting them to admit it is harder than getting to Joon to admit that he’s dumb,”

 

“Hey!” all three of the boys exclaimed in unison.

 

“Hahaha! that’s really funny!” laughed Soyeon. “Come on Kikwang, we’ll show you around the school for today. Let’s go get some lunch,”

 

“Yay! Lunch! I’m hungry..” Joon said.

 

And then they continued their conversation while they made their way to the canteen.

 

****

 

“Quiz time!!” exclaimed the teacher. “Quickly everyone, split up into your groups, Kikwang you just came in today right?  Hmm, go to that group, you’ll be replacing Hyosung,”

 

“Yes, Bongsun-ssi,”. Kikwang then took his seat next to Joon and Min. Yoseob and Soyeon was seated in the other team.

 

After everyone’s properly seated, Bongsun announced, “Okay! Now that’s everyone’s properly seated, who wants to answer the first question?” asked her, enthusiastically.

 

Soyeon’s hand shot up quickly, “Teacher, what’s the prize for today?”

 

“You always have to start with that, don’t you?” sighed Bongsun. “How about this? The winning team will each earn a point for their respective sports house, sounds good? Now who wants to answer the first question?”

 

After hearing this, at first no one raised their hand. A few minutes later only one girl raised her hand up slightly. Kikwang strained his neck to get a better view of the girl. It was Seohyun.

“Haih.. you guys really don’t have any ‘sport house’ spirit do you?” sighed Bongsun. “That’s okay, I was just messing with you, the winning team will each receive a pack of ‘this’,” Bongsun said while taking out a pack of ‘ferrero rocher’, “let’s try this again, who wants to answer the first question?”

 

Suddenly, it seems like everyone was putting their hands up. “That’s more I like it, nothing a little chocolate can’t handle. Now let’s see, Soyeon, okay, here’s the first question, give two examples of ‘adjectives’,”

 

Soyeon stood up, brushed her skirt a bit, and then, with an innocent face, she said, “Yoseob was telling me that he wanted to answer the question,”

 

“What?! Wait, I didn’t even put my ha-”

 

“Quickly, Yoseob, there’s no time. It’s okay, I trust you,” interrupted Soyeon.

 

“Uh-Uhm, adjectives… quickly, and strongly?” answered Yoseob.

 

“Wrong!” Bongsun announced, which made the class filled with moans of disappointment. “Next question!”

 

Suddenly Joon’s hand shot straight up into the air, “Me!”

 

“Okay! Joon! Give two examples of pronouns,”

 

“Easy, slee-”

 

“Wait!” Min suddenly got up and cupped Joon’s mouth. “That, er, Kikwang would like to answer that, right?”

 

“Who, Me?” said a surprised Kikwang.

 

“Correct! Very good!” announced Bongsun. “Kikwang’s team get’s one point!”

 

Kikwang’s team was cheering at their success while the other team was all staring towards Yoseob.

 

“Funny how different the two twins are treated,” mused Joon.

 

“One’s a hero, the other’s a zero,” said Min.

 

“Next question! Ok Sunhwa! An easy one, what does IT stands for?”

 

“Internet!”

 

“Wr-Wrong,” Bongsun said in disbelief.

 

“International Telephone!”

 

“Wrong too,”

 

“Information technology,”

 

“Ok! Next question! Snow white, Cinderella, Aurora they are all pr-,”

 

“Queens!”

 

“Uh, no,”

 

“Princesses!”

 

“Yes, but I didn’t finish the question. The question is : spell princess,”

 

“Mm, P-R-I-N-S-E-E-S?”

 

“Wrong!”

 

“Me! P-R-I-N-C-E-S-S,”

 

“That’s right! Ok now next…,”

 

And the quiz continued just like that, apart from the occasional dumb answers, the match quickly became a tight match and eventually the teams were tied with 9 points each.

 

“Well, I didn’t expect the match to be this close,” exclaimed Bongsun. “Ok, since we’re stuck in a tie, let’s do a tiebreaker, each team should choose their representative,”

 

Joon quickly raised his hands up and said, “I’ll be th-,”.

 

Quick as a flash, Min cupped his mouth with her hands. “Our team would like to give the new kid a chance, right guys?,”

“Right!” everyone said in unison.

 

“Okay! Kikwang come to the front,” said Bongsun.

 

“W-wait, don’t you wanna ask me if I’m ready or not?” Kikwang asked his teammates.

 

“No, No, it’s okay we trust you, ok? Cool?” said Simon D.

 

“Ok-Okay, sure,”

 

“Then our team would like to send Yoseob!” exclaimed Soyeon.

 

“What?! No!” refused Yoseob.

 

“Yoseob-ah, this is your chance to redeem your mistake for the first point. Everyone’s putting their hopes in you, you really wanna back down and be called a coward?” whispered Soyeon.

 

Yoseob was caught in two minds after hearing this. Finally he wordlessly stood up and walked to the front.

 

The whole class was cheering them both on. “Okay, final question! What is the term used to explain the state of ‘becoming more hardworking and performing better due to high expectations’?” asked Bongsun.

 

The whole class was murmuring when they heard the question. Nobody knew what the answer was.

 

“Wait, I know this, Jaesuk-ssi talked about this earlier, P-Py…” said Kikwang.

 

“Time over! Yoseob!”

 

“Pydmalion!” answered Yoseob.

 

“Pydmalion? Wrong!”

 

“Pygmalion?” Kikwang answered.

 

The whole class stayed silent upon hearing the answer, but Bongsun looked as though she was waiting for something. Yoseob quickly caught on to what was happening.

 

“Pygmalion effect!”

 

Yoseob’s team was all cheering when they heard the answer. “Cor-”

 

“WAIT!!” interrupted Kikwang, “I haven’t finished answering yet,”

 

“WHAT?!” Yoseob yelled in disbelief.

 

Kikwang gave a quick smirk at Yoseob, “Pygmalion.. effect?”

 

“CORRECT!! Sorry Yoseob, but he’s right, his turn wasn’t over just now,” Bongsun announced. “The result is… KIKWANG’S TEAM WINS!!”

 

Yoseob just sat down gaping in disbelief while half of the class was chanting “KIKWANG RULES!!” over and over.

 

Kikwang came over to Yoseob and whispered, “Thanks bro, couldn’t have done it without you,” and then left to celebrate his win.