Our night entry

Our story

 

Kikwang washed his arms in the basin. “Ooh, that felt good,” Kikwang said slowly.

 

Hyosung was using the basin next to him to wash his shirt. “Are you sure you’re alright?” Hyosung asked, her voice full of concern.

 

Kikwang chuckled. “Of course I’m ok,” Kikwang stated. Kikwang stood silent for a moment. “Now that I think about it, whenever you’re around, I keep having these accidents,”

 

“Are you saying it’s my fault now?” Hyosung frowned.

 

“Haha, relax. I’m joking,” Kikwang said playfully. Kikwang stared at his reflection in the mirror. “Hey, what do you think?” Kikwang asked, while flexing his muscles.

 

Hyosung’s face quickly turned red, when she saw Kikwang flexing his muscles. Since she’s washing his shirt, Kikwang was standing there, in his singlet, flexing his toned muscles, alone, with her. “H-huh?”

 

“I said, what do you think?” Kikwang asked, again, flexing his arms. “I meant my arms, looks good doesn’t it?” Kikwang asked smugly.

 

Hyosung turned her gaze away from him. “I-I guess,” stuttered Hyosung.

 

“You guess? Oh, come on, I worked so hard to get them,” Kikwang pointed to his biceps.

 

“Yeah, yeah, it’s great,” Hyosung said, and patted his arms.

 

“Ouch,” Kikwang pulled his arms away.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry!” Hyosung said, panicking.

 

“Nah, it’s ok, it’s just a bit sore,” Kikwang said, rubbing the burn on his arm.

 

Hyosung bit her lips for a moment. “Ya, you shouldn’t have protected me,” Hyosung said slowly.

 

Kikwang smiled slightly. “So you’re saying that I should’ve let you get splashed by boiling water?”

 

“No!” Hyosung retorted. “But, you didn’t have to stand in front of me. You could’ve pushed me away,”

 

“If I pushed you, you could’ve crashed onto another table, and then you might end up with some more, nastier injuries,” explained Kikwang. “Besides, it’s pointless to argue about it now, what’s done is done,”

 

Hyosung opened to argue, but thought better of it. She returned to washing his shirt, while Kikwang stood there watching her. “Here, I’ll wash it now,” Kikwang held out his hands, asking for his shirt back.

 

Hyosung shook her head. “No, that’s okay, I’m nearly finished anyway,” Hyosung smiled softly. Hyosung stood silently for a moment, before looking Kikwang in the eyes. “Hey, Kikwang, can I.., can I ask you a question?”

 

“Hmm, sure, ask away,”

 

Hyosung hesitated for a moment, before continuing. “What.., what do you think about me?”

 

“About you?”

 

“Yeah, about me,”

 

Kikwang thought for a moment. “Well, I think you’re nice, and.. clever, you’re pretty clever, and.., you’re dependable, and-,”

 

“That’s not what I meant!” Hyosung cut him off. “You know what I mean,”

 

Kikwang looked at her questioningly. “Not really, no. What do you mean?”

 

“Kikwang!” Hyosung exclaimed in disbelief. When she saw that he really didn’t understand what she meant, she took a long deep breath before continuing. “Do you.., do you like me?”

 

Kikwang looked dumbstruck for a moment, but then a small smile quickly formed on his lips. “Is that what this is all about?” Kikwang asked. “Of course I like you, you’re my friend,” Kikwang continued. “I won’t hate you just because of this,” Kikwang pointed to the burns on his arms. “Really now, do you think I’d hate you just because of something this small?”

 

Hyosung’s face turned from, confused, to surprised, and finally to anger. “That’s not what I meant!” yelled Hyosung. “What I meant was..,” Hyosung started, before biting her lips.

 

“…What you meant was..?”

 

“W-what I meant was..,” Hyosung stuttered. Hyosung looked at him and saw the blank look on his face, and her anger welled up again. “Forget it! Here, take your shirt back!” Hyosung pushed the shirt back to him, and stormed away.

 

“Wh-what?”

 

***

 

“Yo,” Kikwang waved at Yonghwa when he went back to their seat.

 

“Yo,” replied Yonghwa. “Hey, you okay?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, just some small burns,” Kikwang waved it away.

 

“That doesn’t look small to me,” Seohyun said slowly. “Are you sure you’re alright?”

 

“I’m fine, really,” insisted Kikwang.

 

Yonghwa nodded his head. He then leaned towards Kikwang and whispered into his ears. “Hey, did you guys have a fight?” Yonghwa hinted at Hyosung who was already sitting down, looking-cross.

 

Kikwang frowned for a moment. “Sort of, but I’m not sure why,” Kikwang whispered back.

 

Yonghwa nodded his head understandingly. “I see, do you need some help?” he whispered.

 

“Nah, I’ll figure something out,”

 

“Suit yourself,” Yonghwa whispered back. He then turned towards Seohyun. “Seohyun, it’s getting late, we should be getting back,”

 

“What about Kikwang-ssi?” Seohyun asked.

 

“It’s ok, I can take care of myself,” Kikwang said, smiling. “What about the bill? Did you pay it?”

 

“Yeah, but they insisted that it’s on the house,” Seohyun explained. “No matter what I say, they won’t say no,”

 

“Really? Ceh, If I’d known about this earlier, I would’ve ordered something more expensive,” joked Kikwang.

 

Yonghwa chuckled slightly. “You still have the nerve to crack a joke at a time like this, huh?” Yonghwa shook his head softly. “Come on Seohyun, let’s go, I’ll give you a ride home,”

 

Seohyun picked up her bag. “Thanks, Hyosung-ssi, thanks Kikwang-ssi,” she said before leaving.

 

Kikwang waved them goodbye, and then turned towards Hyosung. “Uhm.. we should be getting home, now,”

 

Hyosung glared at him, and then stood up wordlessly, and then stormed off outside.

 

“Haih..,” sighed Kikwang, before following her.

 

***

 

On the way back, Hyosung remained quiet all the way back. No matter what Kikwang said, she gave no response.

 

“Here we are,” Kikwang said, stopping his bike in front of her house.

 

Hyosung got off his bike and started towards her house.

 

“Uhm, Hyosung,” Kikwang stopped her. “I’m, er.., sorry about what happened earlier,” Kikwang apologized.

 

Hyosung glared back at him. “Why should you be sorry? I was the one that caused you trouble. If anyone should be sorry, it should’ve been me,”

 

“That’s not what-, I wasn’t talking about that,” Kikwang said. “I meant about what I said earlier, I’m sorry if it hurt you. I promise you it won’t happen again,”

 

Hyosung raised one of her eyebrow. “..‘If’? Kikwang-ssi, do you even know what you did wrong?” Hyosung questioned him.

 

Kikwang hesitated for a moment. “Uh.. I gave you the wrong answer?

 

Hyosung stared at him for a moment. “You don’t even know what you did wrong, how can you promise me that it won’t happen again?” fumed Hyosung. “Just.., forget it,” Hyosung said before leaving.

 

Kikwang watched as Mr. Jeon opened the door for her and asked her something. A moment later, Mr. Jeon glared at him, before slamming the door.

 

Kikwang stood there for a moment, thinking what he did wrong.

 

***

 

“Hyosung ah, are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine, mom,” Hyosung smiled softly.

 

“I saved some dinner for you if you’re hungry,”

 

Hyosung shook her head. “That’s okay, I’m not hungry,” Hyosung stated. “Mom, I’m sorry, but I’m really tired. I’m going to sleep,”

 

“Oh? You don’t want to watch ‘Happy Together’? I taped it for you,”

 

“Sorry mom, I’m not in the mood,”

 

Hyosung went into her room and crashed onto her bed. She lied down for a moment, lost in thought. She eventually thought about Kikwang, and her anger welled up again. “Dummy,” she muttered slowly.

 

*phone ringing*

 

Hyosung looked at her phone, and saw that Kikwang was calling her. She quickly ignored the call. Kikwang kept calling, until eventually she couldn’t stand it anymore, and she picked up her phone.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Ya, what do you want?” exclaimed Hyosung.

 

“Hey, Hyosung.., are you still angry at me?”

 

Hyosung looked at her phone in disbelief. “Ya, why should I be angry at you? You didn’t do anything wrong, remember?” Hyosung said sarcastically, before pausing. “Is this why you called? If so, stop wasting your time,”

 

“Wait, wait! Just.., wait a moment,” Kikwang said frantically. “I have something to say to you,” Kikwang continued, and then waited for her response.

 

Hyosung waited for a moment. When Kikwang remained silent, she felt impatient. “Well? Come on then, what did you want to say to me?” she asked impatiently.

 

“Huh? Oh, right. Uhm.. well, do your room have a window?”

 

Hyosung was confused by the question. “Huh? What?!”

 

“Just do me a favor, do you have a window?”

 

“Well.., yeah,”

 

“Great, do me a favor, and open your curtains, coz’ you might need some fresh air, before hearing this,” Kikwang said.

 

“What ar-Ya, stop wasting my time!” Hyosung said, annoyed.

 

“Please, one last favor,”

 

“…Fine,” she opened the curtains of her room. “Done, now what?”

 

“Huh? Oh right, uhm.. the question you gave me earlier.., I think I’ve figured out my answer,”

 

Hyosung became angrier at him. “Ya, don’t waste your time, I don’t wanna hear your answer anymore,”

 

“I’m still gonna tell you my answer,” insisted Kikwang. “But it’s something I have to tell you in person,”

 

Hyosung became even more confused. “In person? If you wanna see me in person, you could’ve told me this tomorrow,” Hyosung said. Kikwang didn’t answer. “Hello? Kikwang? Kikwang!” Hyosung asked impatiently.

 

*knock on window*

 

Hyosung looked up at her window, and saw Kikwang hanging by a tree branch near her window. She let out a small yelp, surprised by his actions. He continued to knock on her window, and motioned for her to open her window. Hyosung quickly went up to the window and opened it for him.

 

Kikwang climbed into her window and dropped heavily into her room. “Hi,” Kikwang said slowly.

 

“What are you doing here?!” Hyosung whispered angrily. “Get out of here!”

 

“No, I told you there’s something I have to tell you in person,” insisted Kikwang.

 

“You can tell it to me tomorrow!” retorted Hyosung, and she pushed him away.

 

“Hyosung? What was that noise just now?” Mr. Jeon asked from below.

 

“N-nothing, I fell down my bed,” lied Hyosung. The echo of Mr. Jeon’s footsteps, climbing up the stairs, could be heard from her room. “Ya, get out, now!”

 

“No! I’m not leaving until I told you what I wanna say,” insisted Kikwang.

 

Hyosung sighed in frustration. Mr. Jeon knocked her door. “Hyosung? Who are you whispering to?” He tried to open the door, but fortunately, the door was locked.

 

“N-no one!” lied Hyosung. She then looked for a place for Kikwang to hide. “Ya, go hide in there,” Hyosung pushed him into her closet.

 

“Hyosung? Open this door, before I knock it down for you,” threatened Mr. Jeon. “I’ll count to three, 1.., 2.., th-,”

 

Hyosung quickly opened her door. “Y-yes dad?”

 

Mr. Jeon looked at her suspiciously. “Who were you whispering to?” he asked.

 

“N-no one! I was.. monolouging!” covered Hyosung.

 

Mr. Jeon looked at her skeptically. “What was that noise I heard earlier?”

 

“I fell down my bed, hehe,” lied Hyosung. “Ah, sore knee, I guess it still hurts,” she rubbed her knee.

 

Mr. Jeon nodded his head. “Mm, you should go to bed if you’re tired, it’s not good to stay up late,”

 

“Yes dad,” Hyosung said, before Mr. Jeon left, and she closed the door.

 

Hyosung breathed a sigh of relief. She then turned towards her closet, and pulled Kikwang out. “What did you think you were doing?!”

 

“I’m fulfilling my promise,” Kikwang said simply.

 

“Ya! Did you even think this through?!” Hyosung whispered angrily. “If you’re caught, you coul-,”

 

“If I were caught, I’d be charged with ‘trespassing on your family’s property’, ‘breaking and entering’, and also with the crime of ‘sneaking into your room’. If I’m caught, I’d get a criminal record, and probably get kicked out of school. I’ll probably enter juvenile, and grow up to become a criminal,” explained Kikwang. “See, contrary to popular belief, I did think this through,”

 

“Well, if you did think this though, why did you do it? I could’ve just told my dad, you sneaked into my room and throw you out,” threatened Hyosung.

 

“I know, but you won’t,” Kikwang said simply.

 

“What?”

 

“I know, you won’t tell your dad,”

 

“What? You ‘think’ just because it’s you, I won’t tell my dad?”

 

“No, I know it for a fact that you won’t tell your dad,”

 

Hyosung glared at him angrily. “Don’t assume you know about me,” retorted Hyosung.

 

“I’m not,” Kikwang said slowly.

 

“Well, if you’re not, what are you doing right now?”

 

“I did it because I trust you,” Kikwang said.

 

Hyosung was slightly surprised by his answer. “W-what?”

 

“I trust you. I trust you with all my heart. I trust that you won’t let me get caught, and I trust you, that you won’t betray my trust,” Kikwang said. “I’ve been thinking about what you asked me earlier. Even though I couldn’t answer your question earlier, I still want to give you my answer,” explained Kikwang.

 

“…,” Hyosung remained quiet.

 

“My answer is this, ‘I trust you, with my life, no matter what, you are one of my most precious friends, in this whole world, and I wouldn’t trade you for any other thing’,” explained Kikwang. “Even though I know it’s not the answer to your questions, I hope it’s the answer to your problem,” Kikwang smiled softly.

 

Hyosung feelings were a mixture of surprise, touched, and happiness. She felt a small smile creeping onto her lips. “Thanks,”

 

“You’re welcome,”

 

She felt like laughing for absolutely no reason. “Haha, hahaha,” she laughed out slowly.

 

Kikwang looked at her, confused. “Wh-what’s the matter?” Kikwang asked.

 

“It’s just that.. it’s funny, haha!” continued Hyosung.

 

Kikwang frowned. “I didn’t think my answer was that funny..,”

 

Hyosung shook her head. “No, no, I’m not talking about your answer,” she said, still laughing, in between her breaths. “I meant it’s funny, when I think about why I got angry with you earlier. It just seems so ridiculous now,”

 

Kikwang stifled a chuckle. “Hehe, I guess it’s kind of funny,”

 

“It’s hilarious,” She laughed out loud.

 

Kikwang slowly felt like laughing along, and eventually he couldn’t hold it back any longer, and laughed out loud, along with her.

 

Hyosung was slowly catching her breath. “Ah, I needed that,”

 

“Hehe, yeah, me too,” Kikwang was also catching his breath.

 

Hyosung looked at him cutely. “Oh, yeah, by the way, Kiki,”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I suggest you jump out that window right now. There’s no way my dad didn’t hear your laugh just now,” Hyosung smiled slyly.

 

Kikwang smile quickly turned to panic as he heard footsteps storming up the staircase. “G-good idea, see you!” Kikwang said, before climbing onto the tree.

 

“Kikwang,” she said, stopping him. “Thanks,” Hyosung said slowly.

 

“No prob,” Kikwang said, beaming.