Our dance-date

Our story

 

***

 

Yonghwa was eating his lunch with Onew. He kept glancing over at Seohyun who was seated with Eunjung on the table in front of him.

 

“Dude, why do you keep glancing over there?” Onew asked him, while glancing at his back.

 

“N-nothing,” Yonghwa said slowly. “Hey, I’m already full,” Yonghwa said as he got up.

 

“What?! You didn’t even touch your chicken!” Onew looked at him accusingly.

 

“Yeah, yeah, you can have it,” Yonghwa sat, patting him on the back and went over to Seohyun.

 

“Thanks!” Onew smiled, before devouring the chicken.

 

Yonghwa kept going over in his head about what to say. He thought of ways to apologize to Seohyun.

 

Eunjung noticed him first. “Yonghwa, hi,” Eunjung waved merrily at him.

 

Yonghwa gave her a small smile, and waved back at her. “Hi,”

 

Seohyun suddenly got up and started to walk away. Yonghwa tried to grab her, but stopped himself, because he didn’t know what to say to her.

 

“S-Seohyun! Wait for me!” Eunjung stood up hurrily. “See you later, Yonghwa,” she said hastily, before running towards Seohyun.

 

“Y-yeah,” Yonghwa said weakly.

 

***

 

“You wanted to know where Kiki is?”

 

“Yeah,” IU nods. “Do you know?”

 

Yoseob thought for a moment. “Hmm.. I think he went somewhere with Hyosung,”

 

IU was slightly surprised, by the news. “Really?”

 

“Yep, said she had something she wanted to ask him,” Yoseob said casually. “Why?”

 

“No reason,” IU said slowly. “Do you know where they went?” IU asked him.

 

“How am I supposed to know?” Yoseob said.

 

“Haha, I guess that’s right,” IU laughed weakly.

 

“Ceh, fine, if I have to bet, they’re probably somewhere at the school park,” Yoseob said casually.

 

IU face brightened up slightly. “Thanks,” she said, before exiting the classroom.

 

“Haih..,” Yoseob sighed by himself slowly. He then noticed that his class was empty. “Eh? Where is everyone?”

 

“They already went over to lunch,” Min said.

 

“You still have, around.. 10 minutes left?” Soyeon estimated.

 

“What?!” Yoseob got up hurriedly. “Why didn’t you wake me up?!” Yoseob exclaimed, before rushing out of the class.

 

***

 

“What’s this?” Yoseob stopped his run when he saw a new poster posted in the notice board. “Hmm.. ‘Annual Oh My School! Ball’..,” Yoseob thought for a moment. He looked at the pictures of dancing people on the poster. “Are they talking about the ‘dancing’ kind of ‘ball’?” Yoseob thought, before his stomach rumbled. “Damn, I gotta grab lunch,”

 

***

 

‘Come on Jeon Hyosung! You can do it!’

 

“What did you want to talk to me about?” Kikwang asked.

 

“N-nothing!” Hyosung said hurriedly. ‘Remember be chic, not desperate!’ Hyosung noted to herself. “H-hey, Kikwang, do you have a date for the ball yet?”

 

“Hmm? No, why?”

 

“Great!” Hyosung exclaimed. “I-I meant, oh, y-yeah? Well then, would you like to g-go with m-me?”

 

“With you?” Kikwang asked casually.

 

“Y-yeah, I meant, it’s okay if you don’t want to, I’ve got plenty of boys asking me already,” she said chicly. “But, I thought I’ll do you a favor, since you don’t have a date and all,”

 

“Sure I’ll think about it,” Kikwang said casually.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I said, ‘sure, I’ll think about it’,” Kikwang repeated.

 

“Oh, uh, okay,” Hyosung said simply.

 

“Now then, is that all?”

 

“Y-yeah,” she said slowly.

 

“Great, because I am STARVING!” Kikwang said jokingly. “Wanna go grab lunch together?” offered Kikwang.

 

“Huh? N-no!” Hyosung said hurriedly.

 

“Ookaayy, suit yourself,” he said before leaving.

 

Hyosung stood there silently. ‘I did it,’ she said to herself. ‘I asked him out!’ she giggled happily. “I did it! I really did it!”

 

***

 

“Kikwang-ssi!”

 

Kikwang turned back to see who was calling him. “Oh, IU-ssi, hi,” he waved at her.

 

IU ran over to him, panting slightly. “H.. Hi,”

 

“Woah, are you late for lunch too?” Kikwang asked jokingly.

 

IU shook her head. “No, but, Kikwang-ssi, can I ask you something?”

 

Kikwang looked over at his watch. “I kinda have an appointment with food right now, but sure,” Kikwang said jokingly. “What is it?”

 

“I was wondering if you already have a date for the ball?” IU said.

 

“Hmm.. Well, Hyosung-ssi did just ask me to go with her, why?”

 

IU looked really disappointed when she heard him. “I kinda wanted to ask you to go with me,” IU said slowly.

 

“Hmm? You mean, you still don’t have a date for the dance?” Kikwang asked surprised.

 

“Y-yeah. I m-meant no! Not yet,” IU said.

 

“Seriously? A cute girl like you? No date?” Kikwang asked jokingly.

 

IU let out a weak chuckle. “No, I guess not,” she said slowly. “I really wanted you to go with me, but I guess I’ll ask someone else,”

 

Kikwang thought for a moment. “Wait up, Hmm.. Sure, I’ll go with you,” Kikwang said confidently.

 

IU looked surprised by him. “What about Hyosung?” IU asked.

 

“Well, she said, it’s okay if I didn’t go with her,” Kikwang thought carefully. “Besides, she said she already have tons of guys asking her out to the ball, I’m sure she’ll be okay with it,” Kikwang said confidently.

 

“Kikwang-ssi, I don’t think that’s what she meant,” IU said reluctantly.

 

“What are you talking about? Of course it is, I heard it with my own ears,” Kikwang waved her off. “Now then, let’s go grab ourselves some lunch!” Kikwang dragged IU to the canteen with him.

 

***

 

Yonghwa sat leaning on his chair. ‘What should I do..,’

 

“Yonghwa! What are you mulling about for?” Onew tapped him from the back.

 

“Nothing, I was just thinking,” Yonghwa said calmly.

 

“How’s the wound going?”

 

“Yeah, well, it’s no longer swelling,” Yonghwa answered.

 

Onew squinted his eyes to get a better view of Yonghwa’s backpack. “Hey, is that a sweater?” Onew pointed out.

 

“Hmm? Oh right, yeah,” Yonghwa said taking it out. “I forgot all about it,”

 

“Isn’t that Seohyun’s sweater?” Onew asked.

 

Yonghwa looked at him in awe. “Y-yeah, how did you know?” he asked.

 

“Dude, her name’s written there at the collar,” Onew pointed out.

 

Yonghwa looked at the collar, and noticed the small initials located there. He then thought up of an idea. “Onew, you’re a genius!” He exclaimed, before rushing out of the classroom with the sweater.

 

“R-really?” Onew said in surprise. “Hmm.. A genius.., that’s a first,”

 

***

 

“Traitor!”

 

“What?!” Kikwang asked teasingly at his brother, while running away from him.

 

“How dare you take her away from me?!” Yoseob yelled while he chased Kikwang.

 

“I didn’t know you wanted to go with her,” Kikwang said, while running. “But now that I do, I’m definitely going with her,” he teased.

 

“Ya! Traitor!” Yoseob yelled at his brother.

 

“Stop making such a ruckus,” Soyeon went over to Yoseob and hit him on the head with her magazine. “You twins always make such a ruckus every time you fight,”

 

Yoseob rubbed his head. “Man, today’s just not my day..,” he mumbled.

 

Kikwang went over and picked him up. “What about you Soyeon? You have a date yet?”

 

“Hah! A fox like her? As if!” Yoseob said confidently.

 

Kikwang was half-expecting Soyeon to smack Yoseob again. If not that, maybe a she’d give him one her witty comeback. He definitely didn’t expect her to blush, even if it is just a slight blush.

 

“A-actually, I do,” Soyeon said before looking away.

 

“What?!” the twins exclaimed in unison.

 

“A-anyway, what are you planning to do without a date?” Soyeon asked Yoseob.

 

Yoseob looked at her suspiciously. “Well.. I’ll figure something out,”

 

“You’re going with me,” Min suddenly entered the conversation.

 

Yoseob looked over at her. “Oh, it’s you. What? No way!”

 

“Why not? It’s better than not having a date,” Kikwang said.

 

“Well, first, guys are supposed to go with girls,” Yoseob said.

 

“So?” Min said questioningly.

 

Yoseob sighed in frustration. “Well, you’re a guy!” exclaimed Yoseob.

 

Min gave him a wide smile. “I know. That’s why I asked you, silly,” Min said playfully, before walking away.

 

“I-I see..,” Yoseob thought silently. “Hey.. wait a minute.. HEY! Get back here!” Yoseob yelled, as he chased the fleeing Min.

 

“He’s never gonna learn is he?” Soyeon asked Kikwang.

 

“Nope,” Kikwang agreed with her. “So, Soyeon, who’s your date?”

 

Soyeon seemed surprised by the question. “I-it’s a secret,”

 

“Oh, okay. Did he ask you out?”

 

“No, I was the one that asked him,” Soyeon said.

 

“Woah, that’s pretty bold of you,” Kikwang looked at her in awe.

 

“Haha, I guess it was,” Soyeon laughed slightly.

 

***

 

“Yo, Yonghwa!”

 

“Joon, yeah hi,” Yonghwa waved back at him.

 

“So you have a partner for the dance yet?” Joon asked.

 

“Dance? What dance?” Yonghwa asked warily.

 

“You didn’t know? It’s nearly time for the annual ball, man,” Joon said.

 

“Really? Oh man I forgot all about it!” Yonghwa smacked his head. “Do you have a date yet?”

 

“Yeah, I asked Jiyeon to go with me,” Joon said casually. “She’s a friend I knew from my acting club,” he explained when Yonghwa looked at him questioningly.

 

“Oh.. okay,” Yonghwa nodded. “Man, how am I gonna get myself out of this one?”

 

“Haha, good luck bro,” Joon said before leaving.

 

“Hey, wait, is Seohyun at your class?” Yonghwa asked.

 

“Yeah, she’s at her seat,” Joon said.

 

***

 

Yonghwa entered the class, and saw Seohyun sitting at the back of the classroom, reading a book. He walked slowly towards her. “Ehem,” he cleared his throat when he was in front of her.

 

Seohyun looked up at him in surprise. “Oh..,” she looked away as soon as she saw him.

 

Yonghwa’s heart dropped a little. But he regained himself. “Can I sit?” he asked her.

 

“Y-yeah, sure,” Seohyun said reluctantly. “Look, if y-,”

 

Yonghwa showed the sweater she lent him to her. “I wanted to return this,”

 

“O-oh..,” Seohyun stuttered slowly.

 

Yonghwa handed her the sweater. “Hey, about yesterday, I’m.. I’m sorry..,” Yonghwa said slowly.

 

Seohyun remained quiet. “I know you didn’t mean it, and I knew you didn’t want to hurt me,” Seohyun finally said.

 

Yonghwa looked at her. “Thanks, am I forgiven?” he asked jokingly.

 

Seohyun smiled weakly at him. “I-I guess,” she said reluctantly.

 

Yonghwa could sense she was reluctant about it. ‘But still, even if she hasn’t fully forgiven me, at least she’s finally talking to me,’ he thought. “H-hey, Seohyun, d-do you have a date, for the ball?” Yonghwa felt his face blush as the words left his mouth.

 

“Um, actually I do,” Seohyun said slowly. “Sorry..,”

 

Yonghwa was caught completely off-guard by her reply. He quickly composed himself. “R-really, ahaha, well good for you then,” Yonghwa forced a laugh. “Who’s the lucky guy?” he asked.

 

“I’m going with Kyuhyun-sunbae, so..,” Seohyun said slowly.

 

“Oh.. okay, good luck,” Yonghwa said.

 

“I’m sorry, Yonghwa-ssi,” Seohyun apologized.

 

“Nah it’s okay,” Yonghwa insisted. “So.. yeah, class is about to start, so..,”

 

“Bye,” Seohyun said.

 

“Yeah, bye,” Yonghwa waved back before leaving. Before he left, he turned back towards her. “Seohyun,” he called her.

 

“Yes?”

 

“You were right about how I didn’t mean to hurt you, but you’re wrong about the kiss,” he said. “I do mean it, and I won’t regret it,” he added before leaving.

 

***

 

“What?!”

 

“You don’t need to sound so surprised..,” whined Min.

 

“Sorry, but I was surprised,” Yoseob said.

 

“You’re not trying to pull my leg here, right?” Joon asked warily.

 

“No, I’m serious,” Soyeon insisted.

 

“It’s just that a dozen just seemed too many,” Yoseob shook his head in disbelief.

 

“You guys might not know this, but ever since the performance with Yonghwa, she’s gotten pretty famous,” Min explained.

 

“Still! Getting a dozen requests is just not fair!” Yoseob whined. “I got second place, why didn’t I get a dozen requests?!”

 

“Do you know who asked her out?” Joon asked.

 

“Well, I heard about Kyuhyun and Donghae-sunbaenim, and then there’s also Jinwoon,” Min thought.

 

“Jinwoon, who’s he?” Joon asked.

 

“Hmm? He’s one of the pretty boys in the first years,” Min explained.

 

“Agh, she’s so famous! Why aren’t any hoobae approaching me?!” whined Yoseob.

 

“Probably because you’re such a kid,” Soyeon said.

 

“Ya!”

 

***

 

“So are you okay with that?”

 

“…,”

 

“Hyosung? Are you okay?” Kikwang asked.

 

“Huh?”

“Are you okay with me going with IU?”

 

“Huh?” Hyosung still stood there surprised. “I-I guess so..,” she said slowly.

 

“Great,” Kikwang sighed in relief. “You said a lot of guys asked you out right? So I thought, it’ll probably be okay if you went with them instead of me,” Kikwang explained.

 

Hyosung forced out a smile. “Y-yeah, I guess you’re right,”

 

“And I kind of felt bad if you had to go with me to help me out, you know,” Kikwang said cheerily. “Now you can go with whomever you want, great huh?”

 

“Y-yeah, I guess,”

 

“Whew.. that went better than expected,” Kikwang said relieved. “For a minute there, I was scared that you’ll be mad at me. See I was right after all. And IU said you didn’t mean what you said, hah!” Kikwang said merrily. “I’ll see you later at class, Hyosung,” Kikwang waved her goodbye.

 

“Y-yeah,” Hyosung waved back at him.

 

***

 

“Yonghwa,”

 

“Hmm? What is it?”

 

“Well.. I was kinda wondering..,” Eunjung said slowly. “Do you have a date for the ball?” Eunjung blurted out hurriedly.

 

“Huh?”

 

“W-well, do you?” Eunjung asked.

 

“Uhm.. actually..,” Yonghwa hesitated.

 

“Oh, you have a date already?” Eunjung asked disappointedly. “I-I guess that’s pretty obvious huh? Haha,” Eunjung laughed weakly.

 

Yonghwa hesitated for a moment. “When do you want me to pick you up?” He asked her.

 

“Huh?”

 

“I don’t have a date yet,” Yonghwa said calmly. “At least not until a minute ago,”

 

“R-really?! Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!” Eunjung exclaimed giddily. “I don’t know who else to ask, I mean.. I’m new here, and.. well, you’re the only one I’m comfortable with.. and-,”

 

“It’s okay, I understand,” Yoghwa calmed her down.

 

“Thank you, you don’t know how much this means to me,” Eunjung thanked him.

 

“But Eunjung, you sure you wanna go with me?”

 

“O-of course? Why? You don’t want to?” she asked cautiously.

 

“No, no, it’s just that, well.. I’m not a really good dancer,” Yonghwa confessed.

 

“Haha, is that it? Come on, you can’t be that bad,”

 

“Why did you think I’m in a band?” Yonghwa asked.

 

“Uhm.. well, we’ll figure something out,”

 

“Okay, but don’t say I didn’t warn you,” Yonghwa added jokingly.

 

“Ahaha..,” Eunjung laughed awkwardly.

 

***

 

Hyosung stared at the magazine he read yesterday. “I wonder what would’ve happened if I had just asked him outright..,” she asked herself. “This is all your fault! Useless book!” she yelled as she ripped the book in half. Then she started sobbing by herself, alone, at the park, where no one can hear her. ‘Stupid Kikwang,’ she thought as she cried.

 

“Aish, even the park is no longer peaceful these days,” came a voice from on top of a tree.

 

Hyosung was surprised when she heard the voice. “W-who’s there?” she asked warily.

 

A tall boy dropped down from a nearby tree, and rubbed his sleepy eyes. “And I was just thinking of catching some sleep,”

 

“W-who are you? What are you doing here?” Hyosung asked warily, quickly wiping away the tears in her eyes.

 

“I didn’t know the park had just became your private property,” the boy said jokingly. When he saw Hyosung were still serious, he stopped joking. “Look I can’t help but hear about what happened with you and your little boyfriend earlier,”

 

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Hyosung said angrily.

 

“Then your husband, friend, look I don’t really care,” the boy said. “but what I do care, is that you’re disturbing my afternoon nap,”

 

Hyosung glared at him. “So? I didn’t know the park had just became your own private property,”

 

The boy chuckled at her remark. “No, I guess it’s not. But you’re still disturbing me,”

 

“So?”

 

“Look, from what I’ve heard, all this problem is because of the stupid ‘ball’ thing right?” he asked her, to which she didn’t reply. “Frankly speaking, I don’t really care about it, but if you want you can go with me, since I don’t have a date either,” the boy said casually.

 

“With you?” Hyosung asked, surprised by the offer.

 

“Yeah, that way you’ll get to go the ‘ball’, you can also show off to your boyfriend-,”

 

“Friend,” insisted Hyosung.

 

“Friend, whatever. All I ask, is that you let me have my afternoon nap, deal?”

 

Hyosung hesitated for a moment. “That’s it?”

 

“That’s it. It’s a win-win situation, and then we can get on with our lives,”

 

Hyosung thought for a moment before shaking his hand firmly.

 

“Great, my names Sungje,”

 

“I’m Hyosung, nice to meet you,” Hyosung greeted him.

 

“Yeah, whatever,” Sungje said before walking away.

 

***