Our ice-cream treat

Our story

  *school bell rings*

 

“..so when Na, and Cl is mixed together, it’ll make an ionic bond,”

 

“I see..,” Kikwang nodded.

 

“Do you understand now?”

 

“So when we want a bromine oxide, we’ll combine bromine and oxygen, and then they’ll form an ionic bond, to make a BrO right?” Kikwang tried.

 

“Wrong, Bromine and Oxygen are both non-metal elements, so, it should be BrO2 and they’ll form covalent bonds..,” Hyosung said.

 

“C-covalent?”

 

“Yeah, see, when two non-metal elements combine, they can’t make ionic bonds, because neither of them can donate electrons,” explained Hyosung. “So.. to reach the ‘octet electron arrangement’, they’ll have to share their valence electrons,”

 

“Egh.. what’s ‘octet’ again?” Kikwang asked.

 

Hyosung let out a big sigh. “It’s a state where the valence shell has 8 valence electrons, it’ll become stable,”

 

“I-I see.. what’s ‘valence’ again?”

 

“Kikwang!” Hyosung exploded. “Are you serious?!”

 

 “S-sorry..,” Kikwang apologized hurrily. “Chemistry really isn’t my thing… I just didn’t click with it, you know,”

 

“If you had paid more attention in class, you would’ve understand!” Hyosung exclaimed angrily.

 

“S-sorry..,”

 

Hyosung let out a deep sigh. “Haih.. fine, we’ll go through this one more time.. valence refers to the outermo-,”

 

Someone tapped Kikwang’s shoulder lightly. “Excuse me, sir,”

 

“Yes?” Kikwang looked back to see who it was. “Oh? IU-ssi! What are you doing here?” Kikwang exclaimed in surprise.

 

“IU-ssi?” Hyosung looked up to see who it was.

 

“Hehe.. surprise!” IU said brightly. “Did I surprise you two? Ah, Hyosung-ssi! I missed you so much!” IU went over and hugged Hyosung.

 

“Y-yeah, I miss you too,” Hyosung replied. “What are you doing here?”

 

Kikwang was still surprised by IU’s sudden appearance. “Is this the surprise you told me about? You, coming over to visit us?”

 

“Nope,” IU said excitedly. She then twirled around, showing off her new school uniform to Kikwang. “Hehe, pretty isn’t it?”

 

Kikwang looked at her puzzlingly. “Did you learn a new dance?” Kikwang asked innocently.

 

“No, silly! I meant my dress!” IU pointed towards her dress.

 

“Hmm? What’s wro- Oh?! Isn’t that our school uniform?” Kikwang asked.

 

“Hehe, yup!” IU smiled happily. “From now on, I’m a student of ‘Oh My School!’,”

 

“Really?! Woah! That’s great!” Kikwang answered happily.

 

“You were serious?” Hyosung asked, surprised. “I thought you were joking..,”

 

“Hehe, nope, of course I was serious,” IU replied. “But, I guess it did took a little longer than I planned..,”

 

“Wow… have the others known about this?” Kikwang asked IU.

 

“Hmm? Oh, yeah, I met them outside earlier. They’re the one that told me where to find you guys,” IU explained. “What were you two doing anyway?”

 

“Hyosung was teaching me Chemistry,” Kikwang held up his book. “It’s not going so well,”

 

“Really? That’s too bad then, I was thinking about treating you guys to some ice-cream, since it’s my first day..,”

 

“Ice-cream?!” Kikwang eyes lighted-up. He looked at Hyosung pleadingly.

 

“…, fine.., it’s not like we’re getting anywhere with this,” Hyosung closed her book and packed up her stuff.

 

“Thank you!” Kikwang exclaimed, before throwing all his things into his bag. “Come on! What are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Kikwang said excitedly, before rushing off.

 

Hyosung was slowly packing and arranging her books inside her bag. “Uhm.. Hyosung-ssi, about the thing we talked about earlier..,” IU said slowly.

 

“Hmm? What thing?” Hyosung asked while packing her books.

 

“You know, about Kikwang-ssi..,”

 

“Oh.., yeah,” Hyosung replied slolwly.

 

“I.. I was being serious about that too..,” IU said.

 

“Yeah, I figured out as much,” Hyosung said.

 

“I’m sorry,” IU said before leaving.

 

“Me too,”

 

***

 

“I’ll have a double-No wait, make that a ‘triple scoop chocolate sundae deluxe parfait’ with a deluxe-size coke,” Yoseob ordered.

 

Min smacked him in the back of his head. “Ya! Don’t you have any manners?” Min asked. “Just because IU said she’s treating us, doesn’t mean you can go on and waste her money like that!”

 

“Aish, mind your own business will you,” Yoseob told Min.

 

“Can I take your order miss?” asked the worker.

 

“Ah, yes, uhm.. I’ll have a.. ‘double scoop chocolate sundae deluxe parfait, an apple lime gelato sorbet, a chocolate banana four-way split, and a strawberry smoothie, please,” ordered Min.

 

“Wait, that’s way more expensive than what I ordered!” whined Yoseob.

 

“Mind your own business,” Min said before sticking her tongue out towards Yoseob.

 

“What’s up with those two?” Onew asked when he saw Yoseob and Min.

 

“Leave them, they’re always bickering,” Soyeon said without looking at the pair.

 

“Where’s IU?” asked Eunjung.

 

“She said she was going to go and get some of our friends who were still studying,” Yonghwa answered.

 

Kikwang suddenly came rushing in towards the counter. “I want the ‘Everest Chocolate Volcano, a chocolate shake, and a vanilla ice-cream cake for desserts!”

 

“Er, excuse me sir, but all of these ‘are’ desserts..,” corrected the worker.

 

“Oh? You’re right,” Kikwang thought for a while. “Then add a tropical three-flavored sundae to that as well,” Kikwang ordered.

 

“Ya, ya, get in line,” Yoseob complained.

 

“Yeah, we were here first,” added Min.

 

“Hmm? Who told you guys to be so slow,” Kikwang said simply. “Make my order first!” Kikwang told the worker.

 

“Ya! You think that’s funny?!” Yoseob said, annoyed. “You’re the one that came late, you should be last!”

 

“Yeah, ever heard of the term, ‘ladies first’?” Min said coolly. “Ehem, mister, you should finish my order first,” Min told the worker.

 

“Ah, yes,” nodded the worker.

 

“No way!” the twins exclaimed in unison.

 

“What’s up with those three?” Onew asked.

 

“Leave them, they’re always bickering,” Soyeon said without looking at the pair.

 

IU and Hyosung came in together. “Oh? The gang’s all here,” Hyosung said.

 

“I see you guys have already went ahead and ordered without me,” joked IU.

 

“Yeah, we told them you’ll pay for all of this,” Onew said. “Is that okay?”

 

“Yeah, sure,”

 

“IU-ssi, are you sure you want to pay for all this?” worried Seohyun.

 

“Hmm? Yeah sure, since this is my first day at school, of course I’ll pay for it,” IU said brightly.

 

“It’s just that.., well..” Seohyun looked worryingly at Min and the twins.

 

“It’s here!” the three exclaimed together. “Our ‘Everest Chocolate Volcano, triple-double scoop chocolate sundae deluxe parfait, chocolate banana four-way split, vanilla ice-cream cake, tropical three-flavored sundae, deluxe-size coke, apple lime, gelato sorbet, strawberry smoothie, chocolate shake,’ combo is finished!”

 

IU stood there open-mouthed, gaping at the three.

 

“That’s what I was trying to warn you about..,” Seohyun mouthed slowly.

 

“W-well, at least you guys didn’t order something that expensive, right?” IU laughed awkwardly.

 

“Nope we definitely didn’t,” Soyeon said, smiling.

 

“Wait..,” Hyosung eyed them suspiciously. “How many servings have you guys had?” She asked them.

 

“Well.. now that you mention it..,” Yonghwa smiled awkwardly.

 

“It’s our third,” Soyeon said simply.

 

“W-what?” IU exclaimed.

 

***

 

“You sure you don’t want to order one for yourself?” Kikwang asked.

 

“Er.., that’s okay, I’m not hungry,” IU said.

 

“Are you sure?” Kikwang asked. “You’re not ordering either?” Kikwang asked Hyosung.

 

Hyosung looked at IU. “Nah, I’m full too,” Hyosung bluffed. Then her stomach started growling because of hunger.

 

Kikwang looked at her skeptically. “You’re clearly not full,” Kikwang said. “Here, I’ll give you some of mine,” Kikwang scooped a spoonful of ice-cream and feeds it to Hyosung.

 

“W-what? N-no, it’s okay,” Hyosung blushed.

 

“Aish, stop being so stubborn,” whined Kikwang. “Open up,”

 

Hyosung ate the ice-cream Kikwang offered to her. “T-thanks,”

 

“It’s tasty right?!” Kikwang asked excitedly. “Here have another one!” Kikwang took another spoonful and feeds it to Hyosung.

 

“N-no it’s alright, really!” Hyosung tried to reject the offer, but Kikwang kept on insisting.

 

IU looked at the pair uncomfortably and started squirming in her seat. “Oh? Are you hungry too, IU-ssi?” Kikwang asked. “Here have some too,” Kikwang offered her.

 

“H-huh? N-no, that’s fine,” IU shook her head.

 

“Aish, but it’s really tasty!” insisted Kikwang. “Here, at least have a taste,”

 

IU ate the spoonful Kikwang offered her. “Thanks..,”

 

“No problem,” Kikwang smiled smugly, before eating another spoonful of ice-cream.

 

“Oh? Kikwang-ssi, you’ve got a stain there,” Hyosung said, wiping the stain off his cheeks.

 

“Oh? Thanks,”

 

IU looked at them jealously. “Here, Kikwang-ssi, have another bite,” IU took a spoonful and offered it to Kikwang.

 

“Ah, thanks,” Kikwang ate the ice-cream IU offered him.

 

“Ceh..,” Hyosung sneered slowly. She saw the chocolate shake Kikwang ordered earlier. “Kikwang-ssi, you must be thirsty, here drink this,” Hyosung said brightly.

 

“Ah, y-yes,” Kikwang said with a stuffed mouth.

 

“Wow, that sure looks nice..,” Yoseob mouthed slowly. “Hey, Min, why don’t you ever feed me like they do?”

 

“Keep dreaming, shortie,” Min said, while drinking her smoothie.

 

“So you moved to ‘Oh My School!’ because of IU-ssi?” Seohyun asked Eunjung.

 

“Ah, yes,” she nodded. “I don’t really have a lot of friends there, so..,”

 

“It’s okay, if you didn’t have a lot of friend there, you’ll just have to make a lot of friends here,” Seohyun said brightly. “Did you come to the music festival before this?” Seohyun asked.

 

“Yeah, I did, but I only came for a while, I had to go back early,” Eunjung said. “You’re the one that won the festival right?”

 

Seohyun blushed slightly. “Y-yeah, how did you know?”

 

“IU wouldn’t stop talking about you guys,” Eunjung smiled. “She said you have a beautiful voice,”

 

“Thanks,” Seohyun blushed. “But, Yonghwa-ssi really did most of the work,”

 

“You’re being modest,” Eunjung laughed. “But I can’t say this is the first time I heard someone say Yonghwa-ssi is good.. Is he really that good?”

 

“Well.. would you like to see him perform?” Seohyun hinted.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Oh yeah!” IU suddenly remembered. “I forgot, guys, I haven’t properly introduced my friend yet,” IU realized. “Everybody, this here’s Ham Eunjung, she’s a friend of mine,”

 

“Hi, Eunjung, nice to meet you,” Soyeon greeted.

 

“Ah, yes, nice to meet you too,”

 

“You’re the one that got hit by my cake earlier right?” Joon realized.

 

“Y-yeah,”

 

Yoseob nudged him from the back. “Sorry about him, he’s tactless. Hi, I’m Yoseob,”

 

“Hi, Yoseob,”

 

“And I’m Joon!” Joon chipped in.

 

“Hehe, hi Joon,”

 

“Hey, sorry about the cake accident earlier, I’m Lee Kikwang,”

 

“Ah, yes, IU’s told me a lot about you, you’re twins right?”

 

Before they could come up with an excuse, Min quickly said, “Yes, they’re twins. Hi, I’m Min,”

 

“Nice to meet you,”

 

“Hi, I’m Hyosung, and this is Seohyun,”

 

“Hi, Eunjung-ssi,”

 

“Hi,”

 

“Hi, your face looks really familiar to one of my classmates,” Onew greeted.

 

“Stop joking around,” Yonghwa nudged him.

 

“Oh? You guys know her already?” Kikwang asked.

 

“IU and Eunjung are both my classmates,” Yonghwa explained.

 

“I see..,”

 

Seohyun whispered something to Soyeon. “Oh? It seems like our new friend here would like to hear our infamous Jung Yonghwa perform for her,” Soyeon announced.

 

“W-what?” Eunjung stuttered.

 

“Hmm?” Yonghwa was slightly surprised. “Ah, no, no, I didn’t bring my guitar today,” Yonghwa shook his head.

 

“That’s okay, I’m sure the owner has a guitar for in his store room,” Joon quickly said. “I’ll go and ask him,”

 

“Now you don’t have any excuse not to perform,” Kikwang said.

 

“There’s a lot of people here, I don’t want to disturb them,” Yonghwa said.

 

“Aww.. come on, I’m sure they wouldn’t mind,” Onew insisted.

 

“…, I’m not really in the mood,” Yonghwa said casually.

 

“W-well it’s okay if you don’t want to,” Eunjung said.

 

“Oh.. please, Yonghwa-ssi, technically it’s for the three of us, me, Joon, and Eunjung,” IU pleaded.

 

“…, Fine,” Yonghwa agreed reluctantly. He took the guitar from Joon and leaned on an empty table. “Uhm, excuse me everyone, today me and my friends are having a little reunion, so I hope you won’t mind if I sing a song to commemorate this event,” Yonghwa announced beforehand. He then tuned his guitar for a few minutes before starting. “Here goes nothing..,”

 

***

 

*crowd clapping their hands*   

 

“Thank you..,” Yonghwa bowed before returning the guitar to the owner and returning to his seat.

 

“Yonghwa never fails to deliver,” Soyeon mused.

 

“Is that enough?” Seohyun asked Eunjung brightly.

 

Eunjung sat there, gaping as she watched Yonghwa perform. “Wow.. he’s awesome,”

 

Yonghwa smirked at her. “Thanks,”

 

“Well, anyway, I guess, we’re just about done eating,” Soyeon said. “So, IU-ssi shall I call for the bill?”

 

“Ah, yes,” IU nodded. “But before that, er.. guys, I don’t think I have enough money to pay for all this so..,”

 

“Well, look at the time, it’s late! Gotta go!” Onew said before rushing out of the store.

 

“I have to.. uh.. take my sister home, yeah, that’s it, so.. uh.. bubye!” Yonghwa said before following Onew.

 

“Oh my god! Isn’t it Mom’s birthday today?” Kikwang asked Yoseob.

 

“Oh? You’re right! We need to go buy her a present!” Yoseob exclaimed. “Sorry guys, love to stay, but can’t, ciao!”

 

“W-wait! Guys!” IU said.

 

Soyeon suddenly took out her phone. “Hmm? Yes? Grandma? What? You want me to come back home right now? This very second? Ok, love you too,” Soyeon said to her phone. “My grandma called, so.. see you later,” Soyeon waved them goodbye.

 

“Min! We’re going to be late for that.. ‘thing’,” Hyosung quickly said.

 

“Er, yeah, that ‘thing’, the concert right?”

 

“Y-yeah! Concert, we need to leave, now!” Hyosung insisted. “Bye guys, thanks IU-ssi!” Hyosung said before she and Min ran away.

 

“So I guess it’s just the three of us then..,” IU said slowly.

 

“Don’t look at me, I’m out of money,” Eunjung said.

 

IU looks pleadingly at Seohyun. “I-I guess, I could add in a few won..,” Seohyun said slowly.

 

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Seohyun-ssi! You’re my lifesaver!” IU quickly said.

 

“Yeah, sure,” Seohyun said slowly, before trying to take out her purse. “Oh? Where’s my purse?”

 

“Oh no..,” IU shook her head in disbelief.

 

“Hehe, sorry IU-ssi, it seems I left my purse at home today..,” Seohyun smiled awkwardly.