Our double date

Our story

 

Kikwang stood leaning against the wall of her home. He kept alternating between glancing at his watch and peeking over her gate at random intervals. ‘Where is she? She sure is taking her time,’ Kikwang thought, fussing by himself, taking another peek at the front door.

 

Then, the door opened suddenly, and Hyosung sat by it, fastening her shoes. “I’m going now!” Hyosung yelled.

 

Her dad slowly walked over to the front door. “…, Don’t come back home late,” her dad said gruffly.

 

“I won’t,” Hyosung replied, giving her dad a peck on the cheek.

 

“Who are you going with?”

 

“Uh.. a friend,” Hyosung hesitated.

 

Mr. Jeon eyed Kikwang from afar. “It’s that brat again, isn’t it?” asked Mr. Jeon sternly.

 

“H-he’s not a brat!” insisted Hyosung. “And besides, I’m just trying to help him with his studies,”

 

Mr. Jeon grumbled slowly under his breath. “Fine. But don’t go getting any funny ideas!” warned Mr. Jeon. “I swear, if he brings you back home tipsy, or half-dre-,”

 

“Dad!” Hyosung blushed.

 

A small smile formed across Mr. Jeon’s face. “Just making sure,”

 

Hyosung shrugged slightly. “Fine, I’m leaving now,” Hyosung said as she waved her dad goodbye, and walked towards Kikwang. “Hey, sorry for the wait. When did you get here?” asked Hyosung.

 

“Hmm? I just got here,” lied Kikwang. “Anyway, what did your dad say earlier?”

 

“No, nothing important,” Hyosung said as she climbed onto his bike. “Come on we should get going,”

 

“Oh, ok,” Kikwang agreed, and started cycling. “You know, I’ve been thinking. Where should we go though? I don’t think going back to the parlor’s such a good idea, especially after yesterday,”

 

“I guess you’re right,” Hyosung pondered as she sat behind him. “Let’s just go over there first, and then we’ll see,”

 

***

 

Yonghwa checked his phone again, and again there was no missed calls, or messages. He slowly put down his phone, slightly disappointed.

 

Minhyuk, who was busy twirling his drumsticks, noticed Yonghwa being distracted. “Hyung, are you okay?”

 

“Hmm? Yeah, sure,”

 

Wonbin chuckled slightly when he saw Yonghwa. “Aish, are you still waiting for her to call you?”

 

“Oh? Who is it? Who’s he waiting for?” Minhyuk asked excitedly.

 

“Who else, if not for his precious ‘Seohyun’,” teased Sehyun.

 

Yonghwa frowned. “What are you guys talking about? Seohyun’s a friend-friend, not a girl-friend,”

 

“Yeah right,” Wonbin joked. “Then why are you waiting for her to call you?”

 

“That’s because I promised that I’ll teach her today, I don’t want to disappoint her twice,”

 

“Twice?” Minhyuk asked.

 

“Yeah, a few days ago, I had some ‘spying’ work to do,” Yonghwa grinned slightly.

 

“A-ha! So you admit you’re waiting for her call!” Wonbin pointed out.

 

“T-that’s..,” Yonghwa flustered for a moment.

 

“Wow, never thought I’d see the day when Hyung would go ‘gaga’ over a girl,” chuckled Sehyun.

 

Yonghwa glared at him. “Ya, you ever had a guitar smashed on your head?” threatened Yonghwa.

 

“Haha, sorry, sorry,” Sehyun laughed.

 

“Hyung, I heard a pretty girl joined your class today,” Minhyuk stated

 

“Hmm? IU-ssi?”

 

“No, no, I meant her friend,” Minhyuk quickly added.

 

“Oh, Eunjung-ssi? I guess she’s kinda cute,” Yonghwa said while plucking his guitar. “Why? Do you like her? Ehh?” Teased Yonghwa.

 

Minhyuk blushed pink at Yonghwa’s remark. “N-no, I just think she’s pretty,” Minhyuk mumbled.

 

Amidst their chat, Yonghwa’s phone suddenly rang, which Yonghwa snatched quickly, to see who it was. ‘Lizzy,’ Yonghwa read, and disappointment welled up inside him.

 

Wonbin was rolling around laughing, seeing Yonghwa’s reaction when his phone rang. “And you still say you don’t like her?”

 

“I already told you! She’s a friend-frie- Ah, forget it,” Yonghwa waved his hands away.

 

“Hyung, relax, will you? She’ll call when she’ll call, worrying about it isn’t gonna make her call any faster,” Sehyun said.

 

Yonghwa eyed him coldly. “I’m telling you, I’m not expecting her to call me. Look, I won’t even care about my phone anymore, see?” Yonghwa said as he put his phone away in his pocket.

 

A few minutes later, his message ringtone started to play, and all eyes fell on him. Yonghwa kept his cool and resisted to urge to take out his phone, and pretended not to care about the message. He turned his attention to his guitar, and within moments, fell into a trance, as he played it.

 

Half an hour later, he got another message, and while his band-mates were busy, took out his phone and read the messages :

 

‘Yonghwa-ssi, where are you? I’ve been waiting for half an hour,’ came Seohyun’s message.

 

Yonghwa panicked, quickly got up and rushed out. “Oi, where are you going?” Wonbin asked.

 

“I’m going out for a while,” Yonghwa said quickly, before dashing away on his bike.

 

***

 

Yonghwa cycled as fast as he could to the coffee house, but it still took him close to 10 minutes, all the while regretting the fact that he allowed Seohyun to wait for her, alone, at night. When he got there, he quickly dropped his bike and rushed into the coffee house. He looked around for any sign of Seohyun, but he couldn’t catch any glimpse of her. ‘Damn! She’s probably left already!” Yonghwa thought, frustrated. Suddenly someone tapped him on his back.

 

“Yonghwa-ssi? Are you looking for me?” Seohyun asked, wrapped in her sweater, and scarf.

 

“Seohyun! You’re here!” Yonghwa said relieved. “Where were you?”

 

Seohyun chuckled slightly. “I was waiting for you outside,” Seohyun pointed towards where she stood waiting before. “I thought if I waited for you inside, you might not see me, clearly standing outside also produced the same result,”

 

“Aren’t you cold?” Yonghwa asked, concerned. “It’s freezing outside,”

 

“Not really,” Seohyun pointed towards her sweater and scarf, but Yonghwa still saw her body shivering from the cold.

 

“Wait here, I’ll get you some hot chocolate,” Yonghwa said, as he brought her to a nearby table.

 

A few minutes later, Yonghwa came back with two mugs of hot drinks. He offered the hot chocolate towards Seohyun, and then took a sip from his drink. “I’m sorry for being late, I didn’t notice your message,” Yonghwa apologized. “There, is that better?” Yonghwa asked when she took a sip of hot chocolate.

 

Seohyun nodded her head, and put down the drink. “Yonghwa-ssi, aren’t you cold?” Seohyun asked back.

 

“What? No, not really,” puzzled Yonghwa.

 

“Really? Even with only those clothes on?” Seohyun asked skeptically.

 

Yonghwa looked down at what he was wearing, and he noticed that he was only wearing a simple t-shirt, and jeans. Suddenly a cold freezing feeling washed over him, after his realization.

 

Seohyun chuckled slightly as she saw him shivering in his seat. “Want some hot chocolate?” she asked him.

 

Yonghwa smiled slightly at the joke. Then, again, someone tapped his shoulders from the back.

 

***

 

“How about this ‘Jjajangmyun’ restaurant?” Kikwang asked.

 

Hyosung looked at it for a few moments. “No, it’s too crowded,” she said as they continued cycling.

 

“Then how about that coffee house?” Kikwang pointed towards a coffee house.

 

Hyosung studied it for a few moments. “Sure, let’s go,” she said.

 

After parking his bike, Kikwang went inside the coffee house. “Come on, let’s go find a seat,”

 

“Yeah,” Hyosung said, as she stretched out her neck to find an empty table. “I think.. that couple over there starting to leave, come on,” Hyosung pulled Kikwang towards the table.

 

Kikwang let himself being dragged by her. As he was being dragged, he saw a familiar face, holding two mugs in his hands. “Hey, isn’t that Yonghwa?” Kikwang asked Hyosung.

 

Hyosung stop in her tracks. “Yonghwa?” Hyosung said as she looked around. “Oh? You’re right. I wonder what he’s doing here,”

 

“Seohyun’s here too,” Kikwang pointed to a girl sitting in a corner. Yonghwa was already sitting down and offering the girl one of his mugs. “Come on, let’s go say hi,”

 

“Okay,”.

 

Kikwang walked up towards Yonghwa, and slowly tapped his shoulders from behind.

 

***

 

“Yo,”

 

Yonghwa looked back, surprised to see both him and Hyosung. “Kiki!? What are you doing here?”

 

Kikwang waved towards Seohyun first before continuing. “We just happened to be in the area,” Kikwang said simply. “Hyosung’s here going to teach me about math, what are you two doing? Are you two on a.. date?” Kikwang grinned.

 

Seohyun and, to his surprise, Yonghwa blushed slightly. “I-it’s not like that!” Seohyun said hurriedly.

 

Yonghwa shrugged slightly. “Yeah, I was going to teach her how to play the guitar,”

 

“Really? Why didn’t you teach her at your home, wouldn’t that be easier?” Hyosung asked.

 

“It would, but Wonbin and the others are there..,”

 

“I see..,” Kikwang nodded. “Then, that just leaves us with one more question,”

 

Seohyun turned her attention to him. “Hmm? What’s that?”

 

“Where’s the guitar?” Kikwang asked.

 

Yonghwa quickly reached for his back, and realized, nothing’s there. He smacked his head onto the table.

 

Seohyun chuckled when she realized what happened. “You forgot your guitar?” Seohyun asked.

 

“Y-yeah.. I was kinda rushing before,” Yonghwa said slowly.

 

“Ah, well, that’s too bad,” Kikwang said.

 

Yonghwa raised his head up and looked at Seohyun. “Now what? I can’t teach you without a guitar,”

 

Seohyun thought for a while. “Hmm, th-then I guess we should go home then..,” Seohyun said slowly.

 

Yonghwa looked down in disappointment. “Sorry, guess I kinda let you down again,” Yonghwa apologized.

 

Seohyun smiled softly. “Nah, it’s ok, I don’t mind,”

 

“A-ha! So you’re saying he did let you down!” Kikwang said quickly.

 

“Wh-what?! N-no, I didn’t say that!” Seohyun said quickly.

 

“Yeah, but you also didn’t say ‘he didn’t let you down’, you said ‘you don’t mind’!”

 

Yonghwa frowned. “You know what, you’ve been hanging around Soyeon for too much,”

 

Kikwang opened his mouth to retort, but stopped midway. “Fair enough,” Kikwang agreed.

 

“It’s a pity if you guys just go straight back home without doing anything,” Hyosung said. “Why don’t you guys join us, I’ve brought plenty of books,”

 

Seohyun’s face glowed happily. “But, are you sure? We wouldn’t want to disturb you guys,” Seohyun asked, worriedly.

 

“Nah, there’s nothing to disturb,” Kikwang waved it off.

 

Yonghwa thought for a moment. “I guess that’s not such a bad idea. Besides, I don’t think you alone are going to be enough for this idiot,” Yonghwa smirked.

 

“Ceh, says the guy who forgot his guitar,” Kikwang remarked casually.

 

Yonghwa winced at the remark. “Ouch, that sure hit home alright,”

 

Hyosung smiled slightly, before turning back towards Seohyun. “They’re right, besides, two heads are better than one, or in this case, four heads,”

 

“Thanks,” Seohyun nodded.

 

“Come on, go grab a seat,” Yonghwa pointed to two empty chairs.

 

Kikwang went over and brought the two seats to their table. After everyone was seated, Hyosung took out the books she brought in her bag. “Okay then, shall we get started?”

 

***