Our SECRET

Our story

 

“Hey, Yoseobie, what time is it?” asked Soyeon.

 

“Ya, I told you stop calling me that,” annoyed Yoseob.

 

“Haha, Yoseobie.. That’s cute,” laughed Kikwang.

 

“Why? I thought it was cute,” Soyeon asked innocently.

 

“That’s the problem!” Yoseob exclaimed. “It’s one o’clock,”

 

“Well, that sure ended early,” Soyeon mused.

 

“That’s it? We’re done?” asked Joon.

 

“Well, since we still haven’t decided on anything, we don’t really have a lot to train on,” explained Soyeon. “That being said, we’re gonna have to come up with the songs quickly, so that we can set the choreography by next weekend,”

 

“I’ll try to come up with some songs by tomorrow,” Yoseob said.

 

“Great, but we’ll need to finalize the songs by Tuesday,” added Soyeon. “That’ll give us around 3 days to arrange the dance,”

 

“What am I supposed to do?” asked Joon.

 

Soyeon thought for a while. “Then, you can come up with our team names,”

 

“Ooh! That’s great, I always wanted to create a team name,” Joon said excitedly.

 

“Okay then, I guess we’re finished here,” Kikwang said. “Can we go back now?”

 

“Yeah, sure,”

 

***

 

Kikwang and Yoseob was slowly cycling back towards their home.

 

“Hey, what should we do today?” asked Yoseob.

 

“Hmm? What do you mean?” replied Kikwang.

 

“Well, it’s not like there’s anything good for us to do on a Saturday,”

 

“Hey, you’re right,” Kikwang thought. “You have any ideas?”

 

“Hmm, why don’t we go and watch the MC training today, then we can meet IU-ssi again,” Yoseob said. “If we hurry, we can still make it to the rehearsal,”

 

“Nah, I’m not exactly in the mood to go to school today,” replied Kikwang. “And, I can see IU-ssi tomorrow. Besides, we’re already way pass the junction to our school,”

 

“Hmm, guess you’re right,” Yoseob thought. “Oh?! Since we’re already in the neighborhood, why don’t we go and watch Min’s practice?”

 

“Hehe, Min’s practice? More like, Suzy’s practice,”

 

“Ceh, haven’t you ever heard of killing two birds with one stone?” Yoseob retorted. “I’m going to watch Min’s group, and since Suzy’s there, it’s a bonus,”

 

“Really? Isn’t it more like the other way around?” Kikwang teased again. “I’ll pass, I don’t want to ruin the mood for your date,”

 

“Ceh, whatever,” Yoseob said, smiling slightly to himself. “If you’re not gonna go with me, what are you gonna do today?”

 

“I’m thinking about going over to Hyosung’s place. I’m kind of interested in seeing what she’s doing for the festival,”

 

“Oh yeah, I forgot about her,” Yoseob thought. “Okay, suit yourself. Just don’t be too late. I told mom, we’ll be back around late noon,”

 

“Yeah, yeah, I’m going now,” Kikwang said before turning the junction to Hyosung’s house.

 

***

 

“Sunhwa, I’m not trying to be critical, but.. doesn’t the two song kinda have the same feel?” Hyosung commented.

 

“I keep telling you, it does not!” insisted Sunhwa. “One of them is more of an upbeat, fast, y song. The other one’s more of a catchy, fast, chic song,”

 

“But, looking at the two chorus here, it does feel kind of similar..” commented Zinger.

 

“Just because they both repeat their chorus, doesn’t make them similar songs!” Sunhwa exclaimed in frustration.

 

“Fine, fine, we’ll go with it. We already practiced both of the songs anyway, there’s no use complaining now,” Jieun added.

 

*doorbell rings*

 

“Argh! Who’s that? Can’t they see we’re kinda busy right now!” Sunhwa exclaimed in frustration.

 

“Chill, maybe it’s one of my mom’s friends,” Hyosung said. “I’ll go and see who it is,” Hyosung continued before reaching for her keys.

 

*doorbell rings again*

 

“Yes~, I’m coming,” Hyosung yelled at the door. “Damn, have some patience, wil-” Hyosung mumbled in annoyance, before opening it.

 

As soon as she opened the door, she saw Kikwang standing at her front gate. “Hey, sorry about the doorbell,” he apologized. “I thought maybe no one was home,”

 

“K-kikwang-ssi..” Hyosung stuttered, surprised. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Our practice ended early today, so, I thought I’d come and see what you’re doing right now,” Kikwang explained. “Can I come in?”

 

“Huh? I mean, sure, sure! Come in,” Hyosung said quickly.

 

Kikwang then took off his shoes and entered Hyosung’s home.

 

“Ya, Hyosung! You got rid of that guy yet?” Sunhwa yelled at her without looking.

 

Kikwang chuckled slightly. “Is that what you say to all your classmates?” Kikwang asked her.

 

Sunhwa turned back to see who it was. “Oh? Kikwang-ssi! What are you doing here?”

 

“Well, I can see I’m not welcome here, I guess I’ll just go back,” Kikwang joked.

 

“Aish, I was just joking,” Sunhwa said. “What are you doing here?”

 

“No reason. I just thought I’d watch you guys train,” Kikwang said simply.

 

“Hey, you’re trying to spy on us aren’t you,” joked Sunhwa. “If you wanna get a preview, you’re gonna have to pay up,”

 

“Well, all I’ve got is, a bag of candies, and 2 chocolate bars. Will that do?”

 

“Well.. since you’re a friend.. okay, but you owe me one,” Sunhwa joked, before taking the candies and chocolates.

 

Kikwang chuckled slightly. “And, who are you?” Kikwang asked Jieun.

 

“Ah, this is Jieun, and this is Zinger,” Hyosung introduced to Kikwang.

 

“Hi, nice to meet you,” Jieun said.

 

“Yeah, nice to meet you,” Zinger continued.

 

“Nice to meet you too,”

 

“Okay then, since you’re here, you’re gonna have to help us out,” Sunhwa said.

 

“Help you, how?”

 

“You’re gonna be our critic,” Sunhwa said brightly. “Watch our performance, and.. just say it’s good,”

 

“If I have to say you’re good, there’s no point for me to critic is there..” Kikwang said.

 

“Of course there is!” insisted Sunhwa. “It’ll make us feel good,”

 

“Just watch and then tell us whether it’s good or not,” Hyosung interrupted. “Whether we have to improve on certain areas, or make it more interesting, just tell us what you think,”

 

“Okay, boss!” Kikwang joked.

 

“Ehem, okay girls, in position.. ready, one, two, start!”

 

***

 

The girls were sweating slightly after finishing their performance. “So, what do you think?” Sunhwa asked.

 

Kikwang thought for a moment. “Well, both of it was good..,” Kikwang said slowly.

 

“Yes! See, I told you it’s good,” Sunhwa exclaimed happily.

 

“But..” Kikwang added.

 

“But..?” asked Hyosung.

 

“But, I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but doesn’t the two songs felt kind of, similar?”

 

“See! We told you so!” Zinger turned towards Sunhwa.

 

“Ya! They don’t have the same feel! If you listen carefully, they have a different tempo, melody, beat, genre, lyrics, music, they’re all different from each other!” Sunhwa insisted.

 

“Wait, so it’s not just me that thinks the songs are a little bit similar?” Kikwang asked.

 

“No, actually we all think it’s kind of similar,” Hyosung explained. “But, we just thought we’d stick with it, since we don’t exactly have anything better,”

 

“Hmm, this could be a problem,” Kikwang thought.

 

“Why so?”

 

“Well, regardless of whether or not you girls think the two songs are similar, the song wasn’t made for your ears,” Kikwang explained. “Which means, since 4 out of 5 people already said that the songs felt similar, it doesn’t matter whether it ‘is’ similar or not. Most people consider repetition as boring,”

 

“What are you trying to say?” Jieun asked.

 

“He meant, even if the songs ‘are’ actually different, it won’t matter if the audience doesn’t think so,” Hyosung explained.

 

“That’s not the only problem,” Kikwang continued. “I know you girls are extremely fit and athletic and all.. but carrying two high tempo songs, with such a vigorous dance routine for both.., you girls were panting and sweating by the end of your performance,” Kikwang pointed out. “Even if you say that it’s not a problem, it’s really hard to sing well once you’re panting and breathing all over the place. It’ll be hard to control your pitch and everything,”

 

“I guess so,” Jieun thought.

 

“And you, Jieun was it?” Kikwang asked. “I’m not exactly a great singer, but I think your voice is probably the best among you girls, it’ll be a waste to spoil that vocal talent with pants and huffs,”

 

Sunhwa sighed in disappointment, “Haih, and I thought we already nailed it,” Sunhwa said. “Well then ‘Beethoven’, what do you suggest we do?”

 

Kikwang thought for a moment. “Well.. maybe you could go for a slow, medley, song? Nah, that’ll be boring,” Kikwang answered himself. “How bout this, what’s your specialty?”

 

“Pretty?”

 

“Hardworking?”

 

“Vocal talent?”

 

“I don’t know..”

 

“How’s your stamina?” Kikwang asked.

 

“Stamina?” Hyosung said, before turning towards her groupmates, “I guess, our stamina isn’t that bad,”

 

“Okay, how about, you girls go for a complete contrast,” Kikwang said excitedly. “Let’s first go for a bright, happy song, with lot’s of ‘aegyo’. Then, for the 2nd song, we’ll go with one of the upbeat, y, chic song you girls were practicing. That way, you won’t have to start over from scratch, you’ll only need to work on the other half of your performance,”

 

“Bright, happy, cute song?” Zinger asked.

 

“Yeah, the song won’t be as fast tempo as before, so you girls won’t need to sweat it out, but it’s bright, and happy enough to warm up the audience. And a little ‘aegyo’ won’t hurt,”

 

“Yeah? Where do you suggest we get this, ‘bright, happy, cute song’ that you want us to perform?” Sunhwa annoyed.

 

Kikwang frowned. “Do I have to do all the work? I’m not even a part of your team, go and look for it,”

 

“Why a happy song? If you want a contrast, we could’ve used a slow ballad song,” Jieun suggested.

 

“Well, no offense, but she’s not exactly the best singer,” Kikwang said jokingly, pointing towards Sunhwa.

 

“Hey!”

 

“And, well.. I kind of like a happy, bright song,” Kikwang mused.

 

“I’ll do it!” Hyosung exclaimed hurriedly, surprising everyone. “I’ll do it, I’ll find us a bright and happy song,”

 

“O-okay,” stuttered Jieun. “I was just about to volunteer, but sure..”

 

“Great! You want me to help you look for it? I’ve got plenty of bright, cute songs in my iPod,” Kikwang offered.

 

“N-no,” Hyosung stuttered. “That’s okay,”

 

“Ya, we don’t exactly have a lot of time to train for a new song,” Sunhwa complained.

 

“That’s okay, let’s just try for the cute song,” Hyosung insisted. “I mean, it’s better to try than just settle for something less,”

 

“Yeah, besides, the festival’s 3 weeks away. That’s still a relatively long time,” Kikwang said.

 

“Oh? It’s 5.30 already?” Zinger said. “It’s time for me to go home guys,”

 

“Oh, okay, it’s not like there’s anything for us to train anyway. At least, not until we get that new song,” Jieun said.

 

“Kikwang, what time do you need to go back home?” Hyosung asked.

 

“Hmm? Me? I have to go back around 4, why?” Kikwang asked.

 

Hyosung stared at him. “Ehm, it’s already 5.30..”

 

“What?! Seriously?” Kikwang said, surprised.

 

***

 

Hyosung opened her house gate. “Have a safe trip home,” She said to Kikwang. “Give my regards to your mom,”

 

Kikwang got on his bike. “Yeah, sure. Come over, when you’re free. My mom wants to meet you,” Kikwang said, simply.

 

“Ehm, okay. By the way, Kikwang, you don’t like chic, y songs?”

 

“Hmm? Uh, no, not exactly. I just like cute, bright songs more than chic, y song,” Kikwang explained.

 

“Oh, okay. Come over and watch us practice again if you’re free,” Hyosung invited.

 

“Haha, definitely,”