Our 'pet'-ty meeting

Our story

 

"Ah, is that so? Okay then. No, no, it's okay, really. Bye," Onew said before he hung up his phone. "That takes Luna off the list," Onew noted mentally. Onew took a deep breath and let out a long sigh.
 
Onew went and walked towards their school park. "Let's see now, Luna and Jessica is off the list, that leaves me with..," Onew thought for a moment. "No one," he hung his head dissapointedly.
 
Suddenly he heard a small bark behind him. He turned around to see a small puppy behind him. Onew crouched down in front of the dog, and eyed him closely. "Hi there little guy, are you lost?" Onew reached out to the puppy.
 
The puppy his palm playfully. "Cute, aren't you?" Onew smiled warmly. "You wanna play with me?" Onew asked the dog.
 
The dog barked playfully, and wags his tail. "Come here you," Onew smiled warmly as he tucked the puppy in his arms, and sitting on a nearby bench. "You're gonna be my friend for today," Onew tickled the puppy's tummy. The puppy struggled to get out of his grasp. "You don't want to?" Onew asked him cutely. Onew noticed a collar hanging on its neck. "Hmm, 'Puri'.. is that your name?" he asked.
 
Puri barked cutely at him. "I take that as a yes, then," Onew smiled confidently. "Look at me, talking to a dog," Onew shook his head, smiling to himself. "Come on Puri, we should go find your owner," Onew said, as he placed the small puppy on the ground.
 
Puri run around him in circle, barking excitedly, before rushing off. "H-hey!" Onew yelled as the little puppy vanished into the nearby bushes. "Figures, even a puppy doesn't wanna hang out with me," Onew sighed dissapointedly. A few moments later, Puri jumped out of the bushes, and barked at him excitedly.
 
"Oh? You're back?" Onew noted interestingly. Puri started barking and jumping excitedly. Onew looked at the puppy curiously. "Are you trying to tell me something?" Onew asked.
 
Puri continued barking and jumping around in the same spot. "Slow down, pets aren't allowed on school grounds," Onew said to the puppy. Puri suddenly barked louder and wagged his tail harder. "Do you want me to follow you?" Onew asked as he stepped closer towards the dog.
 
Puri suddenly jumped into the bushes and emerged at the other side. "You can't expect me to do that, do you?" Onew said. Puri replied by wagging its tail expectantly. Onew sighed, before wading through the bushes to Puri. "There, happy?"
 
Puri barked again, before running away. "H-hey, wait!" Onew said as he chased down the excited puppy.
 
Onew kept chasing him until he reached the school field, where Puri was waiting for him. "Oh.. do you wanna play?" Onew asked. Puri barked excitedly at the mention of the word 'play'. Onew smiled warmly at the puppy. "We can't, your owner's probably looking for you right now," Onew explained. Puri continued barking excitedly before running to the center of the field. "You sure are one stubborn dog," Onew sighed as he dragged himself to Puri.
 
Onew ran after Puri. "Come here, you," Onew said as he tried to catch Puri. Puri kept jumping out of the way before he caught him. Onew smirked at the dog. "That's how you wanna play it, huh?" Onew asked, skeptically. Then, as if challenging him, Puri barked cutely before running across the field.
 
Onew chased after him, and tried to catch him. Onew kept trying as hard as he can, but Puri was just too nimble for him. "Stay still!" he exclaimed as Puri jumped out of his hands after one of his attempts.
 
Onew crouched down slightly, trying to catch his breath. "No fair, you're a dog," Onew said in between breaths. "That's it, I give up," Onew said as he sat down in the middle of the field, feeling tired. After a few minutes, Puri slowly came walking towards him and sat down in front of him. Onew looked down at the puppy. "Oh, 'now' you wanna hang with me?"
 
Puri got up and walked towards him, before snuggling in between his legs. Onew looked warmly at the puppy. "You're tired too, huh?" Onew said as he rubbed the fur on the small puppy's back. "Hey, Puri-ssi, how would you like to be my date for the ball?" Onew asked the dog.
 
Puri whimpered slowly. "What do you mean it wouldn't work out? Of course it would," Onew frowned playfully. Puri let out another small whimper. "Ah, what do you know, you're just a dog,"
 
Puri fixed his round eyes to Onew's. "Nuh-uh, acting cute isn't going to help you get out of this, not this time," Onew wagged his finger to the puppy. Puri turned away and snuggled quietly in his lap. "Oho, now you're giving me the silent treatment are you? Fine, be that way. Think I wanna go to the dance with you?" Onew whined, before smiling warmly at Puri. 
 
"Your owner must be worried sick," Onew said slowly. "Once you're done sleeping, the first thing we're gonna do is find your owner, okay? Maybe then I'll have some luck with finding myself a date for the ball, eh?"
 
***
 
"Now then, you have to be quiet, okay?" Onew puts his index finger to his lips. "Otherwise, we're gonna get caught, and then I'll have quite some explaining to do,"
 
Puri barked back excitedly. "Shhh!" Onew motioned urgently. "What part of staying quiet didn't you understand?" Onew questioned the puppy.
 
Puri whimpered quietly. "There, that's better," Onew beamed at the puppy. "Are you comfortable in there?" he asked Puri who was snuggled in one of the pockets of his school jacket. "It's a good thing it's late, we'll have less chance of getting caught,"
 
Onew walked awkwardly, hiding the bulge in his school jacket with his hands. "You know what, maybe if I bring you along, it might help me get a date," Onew thought loudly. "After all, girls like puppies don't they?" Onew asked Puri.
 
Suddenly a girl jumped up from behind one of the bushes. She was wearing big round glasses, and their school uniform. She kept mumbling worriedly, while brushing the dirt off her skirt.
 
She didn't notice Onew standing behind her, until she turned around ans saw him. She seemed surprised to see Onew standing in front of her. "U-uh, hi," she stuttered.
 
"Hi," Onew smiled awkwardly at the girl.
 
"I w-was just..," the girl scratched her head, thinking up excuses. "Uhm.. w-well, I was..,"
 
Onew shook his head. "T-that's okay, you can do whatever it is you were doing, I don't mind," Onew said before turning away.
 
The girl blushed slightly.
 
Suddenly, Puri let out a small bark. Onew quickly glared at his pocket.
 
"D-did you hear that?" The girl asked hesitantly.
 
Onew smiled awkwardly at her. "H-hear what?"
 
The girl paused for a moment. "N-never mind," relented the girl.
 
Puri gave out another bark. Onew quickly pat his bulging pocket lightly.
 
"What was that?" asked the girl.
 
Onew faked a heavy cough. "Hmm? Oh, that was just me, you know, sore throat," Onew smiled awkwardly, before faking another cough.
 
Suddenly Puri let out another big bark, before jumping out of his pocket. "H-hey,"
 
Onew mind raced to find an explanation. "Well, would you look at that. A puppy! Who'd have thought," Onew said, pretending to be surprised.
 
"Puri!" exclaimed the girl happily. Puri, quickly ran straight towards the girl, and jumped into her hug.
 
"W-wait.. you know him?" Onew asked, surprised. 'Come to think of it, I never did find out if Puri's a he or a she..,' he thought to himself.
 
The girl hugged Puri tightly, before standing up and glaring furiously at Onew.
 
"Hmm? What's wro-Oh, you thought I wa- no, no, you've got it all wrong," Onew explained.
 
The girl glared at him suspiciously before backing away from him.
 
"H-hold on, this isn't what it looks like," Onew said awkwardly, trying to explain himself.
 
The girl turned away and ran away from him before he had a chance to explain himself.
 
"W-wait!" Onew yelled to the girl, before she was out of sight. "I really was trying to find you..," he sighed dissapointed. "Great, now we're back to square one..,"
 
***
 
Onew whistled lowly as he cycled his way back home. After a tiring day, he was enjoying the feeling of the wind rushing through his hair. While he was whistling merrily, he noticed a familiar girl sitting on a nearby swing.
 
"Seohyun?"
 
Seohyun looked over towards him. "Hmm? Oh? Onew!" Seohyun exclaimed when he noticed him.
 
Onew brought his bike over towards her. "Hey, what are you doing here?" Onew asked when he got closer to her.
 
"I thought I could use some fresh air," Seohyun said, before motioning for him to sit on the swing next to him.
 
Onew took a seat on the nearby swing. "How's your mom?" Onew asked.
 
"Hmm? She's okay, come over sometimes, I'm sure she'll be happy to see you," Seohyun offered.
 
"Nah, she probably doesn't even remember me," Onew smiled softly.
 
"Hehe, yeah, she probably doesn't," Seohyun giggled. "Hey, I heard you still don't have a date for the ball,"
 
"Yeah, well, I'm not like someone who's got half a dozen people asking her out," Onew . "I've been racking my brains, trying to find someone to go with me,"
 
"Yeah? How did it go?"
 
"So far, so bad.. I just can't find that little bit of luck," Onew hung his head low.
 
"Relax, I'm sure you'll find someone," Seohyun assured her.
 
Onew frowned playfully at her. "Well, if someone didn't abandon me for Kyuhyun, I wouldn't have to go through all this trouble,"
 
"Sorry about that," Seohyun smiled softly.
 
"So, how is he?" Onew asked her.
 
"Who?"
 
"Kyuhyun-sunbae,"
 
"Oh, he's okay," Seohyun said.
 
"Okay?"
 
"Yeah, okay," Seohyun nodded casually.
 
"Yeah? I thought he must've been pretty special, since you chose him," Onew said teasingly.
 
"Haha, sorry to let you down," Seohyun smiled playfully.
 
Onew smirked to himself. "Yonghwa's been down in the dumps lately," he suddenly said.
 
Seohyun's smile slowly faded. "O-oh? Really?"
 
"Yeah, I think it has something to do with him losing you to Kyuhyun," joked Onew.
 
Seohyun smiled bitterly. "Hey, Onew, you've known Yonghwa-ssi for quite some time, right?" Seohyun asked.
 
"Yeah, you could say that,"
 
Seohyun hesitated for a moment or two, before continuing. "W-what do you think of him?" she asked hesitantly.
 
"Hmm? Well, for starters, he's a playboy, everyone knows that about him," Onew said jokingly.
 
"Yeah, so I've heard," Seohyun chuckled weakly. "How many girlfriends does he have, actually?"
 
"If I had to guess, it'd probably be around 3, or 4? Most of them, he says is just for fun,"
 
"For fun?" Seohyun said unapprovingly.
 
"Yeah well, still, the guys a good guy," Onew quickly corrected. "I mean it's not like he ever does anything with them, just the occasional dates, and gifts every now and again,"
 
Seohyun kept her face calm, hearing his explanation.
 
"But he haven't been seeing them lately," Onew added. "These days he mostly hangs out with guys, which is very unlike him, now that you mention it,"
 
"Is he always so nice to girls?" Seohyun asked again.
 
"He's a bona-fide playboy, what did you expect?" Onew continued to joke.
 
"I thought so," Seohyun said, slightly dissapointed.
 
Onew noticed the slight dissapointment in her tone. "Don't worry though, he treats his friends differently," Onew assured her.
 
"Differently? differently how?"
 
"As a playboy, he may be a bit dubious, but as a friend, you can definitely count on him," Onew said confidently.
 
"Heh, I'm sure those girls he dated probably started out as friends too, right?" Seohyun said slowly, with a hint of skepticism.
 
"What? Yonghwa? No," Onew quickly waved her off. "He never mixes his friends with.. 'girlfriends',"
 
Seohyun raised her eyebrows in suspicion. "Never?"
 
"Never," Onew insisted. "I mean if he wants to play around with them, he'd jump straight to sweeping them off their feet, he'd never start out as friends,"
 
Seohyun felt slightly puzzled by his explanation. "But, there must be times where he approached them as friends first right?"
 
"What are you, a school kid?" Onew said jokingly. "No, you'd have to be quite the bastard to do that to a friend. And I don't think he's a bastard, do you?"
 
Seohyun hesitated for a moment. "N-no I guess not,"
 
"There that settles it!" Onew said merrily. "Enough about him, all this talk about Yonghwa is making me feel nauseous," Onew pretended to gag.
 
Seohyun smiled softly at his antics. "Fine. Then, could you help me out with something?"
 
"Help you out with what?"
 
"Well, I have this friend..," Seohyun started slowly.
 
"Uh-huh," Onew nodded.
 
"Well, she's not exactly my friend, more like a friend of a friend,"
 
"In other words, you," Onew said casually.
 
Seohyun blushed brightly. "N-no! No it's not!" Seohyun said hurriedly.
 
Onew chuckled slightly. "So what happened to 'this friend'?" Onew asked skeptically.
 
Seohyun scowled. "On second thought, I'm not telling,"
 
"Oh, come on, you can't take me this far, and leave me hanging," Onew pleaded playfully.
 
Seohyun hesitated. "W-well, you can't think that I'm talking about me," Seohyun fumed.
 
Onew giggled softly. "Fine, fine, you're talking about 'a friend' right?" Onew winked slyly.
 
"I'm serious!" insisted Seohyun.
 
"So am I!" replied Onew.
 
Seohyun took a deep breath, before turning towards Onew. "So, I have this friend..,"
 
"Which is you,"
 
"Onew!" exclaimed Seohyun.
 
"What?!" Onew feigned innocence, before laughing out loud. "Okay, okay, a friend, got it," Onew motioned for her to continue.
 
Seohyun eyed him suspiciously before continuing. "Like I said, I have a friend..,"
 
"Who is not you," Onew smiled teasingly.
 
Seohyun glared at him. "Who is not me," Seohyun continued. "and she currently has some problem,"
 
"So this friend of yours, she's a girl?" Onew asked.
 
"Yeah, why?"
 
"Nothing. Incredible similarities, you and your friend, both being girls and all," Onew grinned slyly.
 
"Do you want me to finish my story or not?" she said impatiently.
 
Onew let out a laugh. "Fine, fine, go on," Onew motioned for her to continue.
 
Seohyun glared at him before continuing. "As I was saying, she has a problem. See, someone she trusted did something unexpected, to her,"
 
Onew suddenly looked at her seriously. "Unexpected? Unexpected how?"
 
"You know, unexpected," Seohyun said hesitantly.
 
Onew frowned as he thought seriously. "Go on,"
 
"Anyway, the person she trusted did that to her, so right now she's a bit shaken," Seohyun explained hesitantly. "And right now, she doesn't know if she could trust that person anymore,"
 
Onew frowned deepen. "What did that person do?" he asked suspiciously.
 
"I-I'm not sure," Seohyun bluffed. "See, she always thought of the person as someone she can rely on. Even now, deep inside her heart, she knows she should trust him. But after what he'd done, she's kind of scared to trust him again," Seohyun explained.
 
"So it's a he, is it?" Onew cracked his knuckles together.
 
"I told you already, it's not about me!" insisted Seohyun hurriedly. "You probably don't know them, so don't bother getting involved,"
 
Onew eyed her suspiciously. "What did this guy do? Is it Kyuhyun? Did he do something to you?" Onew asked.
 
"I told you, it's not me!" Seohyun said impatiently.
 
Onew looked unconvinced, but he relented. "Well, if she can forgive him, I think it's alright," Onew said reluctantly. "I mean, you said it yourself, she trusts the guy, so, assuming your friend is a good judge of character, the guy is probably trustworthy," Onew suggested. "With that being said, maybe he didn't mean to do what he did, and if it really is a mistake, I don't see why your friend shouldn't go back to being friends with him,"
 
"Right?" Seohyun said, trying to reassure herself.
 
"I guess," Onew shrugged. "So who's the guy you're talking about,"
 
Seohyun looked away from him. "I-I don't know,"
 
"You're a terrible liar, you know that," Onew said skeptically.
 
Seohyun smiled nervously. "W-well, look at the time, I think it's about time I go back, too much fresh air is bad for your skin," she said hurriedly.
 
Onew rolled back his eyes. "Fine, fine, you don't have to tell me," Onew relented.
 
Seohyun let out a sigh of relief. "Thanks, but I still have to go back," she said before getting on her bike. "Bye, Onew,"
 
"Bye," Onew waved back at her.
 
"Good luck finding a date for the ball," she teased, before cycling away.
 
"Yeah," Onew shrugged. He watched as Seohyun cycled away. "Hey, Seohyun!" he yelled at her from afar.
 
Seohyun looked back towards him.
 
"If there's someone bothering you, tell me. I'll help you teach them a lesson," Onew yelled.
 
Seohyun giggled slightly, before beaming at him. She then cycled away.
 
Onew smiled contently at himself. He then went back to his bike. "She's right though, I still need to find myself a date for the ball," he hung his head in dissapointent.
 
***
 
Onew sat down on a bench, catching his breath momentarily.
 
"What? You tired already?" Minho asked teasingly.
 
"I think I'm probably more suited to sprints," Onew said jokingly in between breaths.
 
Minho chuckled softly. "Whatever. Dude, I'm going on ahead,"
 
"Yeah, yeah, go on, I'll catch up later," Onew said, still trying to catch his breath. Minho then jogged ahead, leaving him behind. Onew leaned back lazily on the bench.
 
Just when he was about to get up, he heard a familiar little bark. He turned around expectantly and saw Puri running towards him. "Puri!" he yelled as the dog jumped onto his lap. "What are you doing here?" Onew asked excitedly, before Puri started his cheeks. "Yeah, yeah, I miss you too buddy," Onew smiled playfully. "Though ,maybe not so much now," Onew said as he wiped the drool on his cheeks.
 
A few moments later, Puri's owner suddenly appeared around the corner.
 
"Oh, you!" Onew was slightly surprised to see the girl again.
 
"You! What are you doing here?!" The girl asked, panting heavily. She then saw the little puppy in Onew's hug. "Puri!"
 
Puri jumped excitedly towards the girl again. The puppy wagged its tail excitedly and ran around her, before jumping into Onew's lap again.
 
The girl seemed somewhat surprised by her puppy's actions. "P-puri?"
 
Onew smiled awkwardly at the girl. "I guess Puri's taken a liking to me, heheh..," Onew said awkwardly.
 
***
 
"So you weren't dog-napping Puri?"
 
"No, no," Onew shook his head. "I was just about to go find you. I didn't know you were the owner, that's why I hid Puri from you," he explained.
 
"Ah, so then..," the girl smiled apologetically at him. "I guess, I owe you an apology," the girl lauged awkwardly.
 
"No, no, it's okay. I guess it did look a bit suspicious," Onew smiled brightly. "I guess we both got off on the wrong foot, huh?" Onew said merrily. "Wanna start over?"
 
The girl smiled slightly at him. "Sure, I'm Han Seungyeon,"
 
"Onew," Onew motioned to himself. "Nice to meet you,"
 
"Nice to meet you too," she smiled politely.
 
Onew thought for a moment. "So, you're Puri's owner huh?"
 
"Hmm? Yeah, I am,"
 
"Cute puppy,"
 
"Thanks," Seungyeon smiled shyly.
 
"How did you two meet?"
 
"Ah, well, it's kind of a long story, see, I was...,"
 
***
 
"Hedgehogs?"
 
"Yeah, two of them actually," Seungyeon said excitedly.
 
"Wow, that's a first," Onew chuckled to himself.
 
"One's named Wonie, and the other is Sungie," she continued. "Wonie's pretty timid, but Sungie's kind of rebellious,"
 
"Rebellious?"
 
"Yeah," she smiled excitedly. "Sungie only feels comfortable around me. If a stranger tries to pick him up, he'll start punching their hands,"
 
"Punch them?" Onew chuckled in disbelief.
 
"Yeah, cute right?" Seungyeon giggled. "He'll wave his arms around frantically an-,"
 
"Hey, took you long enough," Minho yelled at Onew, as he jogged towards him. "What took you so long? Did you fall asleep?"
 
"Ah, sorry about that man, I got caught up in something," Onew apologized to him. "Hey, this here's Seungyeon, say hi,"
 
Minho looked over at Seungyeon. "Ah, hi, I'm Minho," he said politely.
 
"Ah, yes," Seungyeon bowed politely. "Seungyeon,"
 
Onew crouched down and picked Puri up. "And this here's Puri," Onew lifted him up to Minho. "Puri, say hello to Minho," Onew waved Puri's little legs.
 
Minho waved a finger back at Puri. "Hi there Puri," Minho said cutely.
 
Onew put Puri back on the ground. "So catch this man, Seungyeon here, she's a pet lover," Onew said excitedly. "She even has hedgehogs as pets,"
 
"Hedgehogs?" Minho asked curiously.
 
"Ah, y-yes," Seungyeon admitted shyly.
 
"See? Isn't that cool?" bragged Onew. "To top it off, she even goes to the same school as me, cool huh?"
 
Minho snorted teasingly. "What's so cool about going to the same school with an idiot like you?" Minho teased.
 
"Who you calling an idiot?"
 
"A guy who can't even find a date for a ball, that's who," Minho .
 
"Oh?" Seungyeon looked surprised when she heard what Minho said.
 
"What is it?" Onew asked her.
 
"N-nothing," she said hurriedly.
 
"Seungyeon-ssi, do you have a date for the ball yet?" Minho asked her.
 
"H-huh? W-well, no," she said softly.
 
"Oh? Really?!" Onew asked excitedly.
 
"You can go with Onew then," Minho suggested.
 
"Ah, t-that's okay, I don't want to trouble you," Seungyeon smiled awkwardly.
 
"No, no, it's no trouble at all," Onew said hurriedly. "In fact, I'm begging you to be my date, please,"
 
"W-well, are you sure?" Seungyeon hesitated.
 
"Please..," Onew pleaded, smiling cutely at her.
 
"O-okay,"
 
"Yes!" Onew exclaimed excitedly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, Seungyeon-ssi," Onew held her arms as he thanked her.
 
"Y-you're welcome," Seungyeon blushed slightly.
 
"Hah, take that," Onew said to Minho. "I found myself a date, hah!"
 
"Yeah, with my help," Minho replied calmly.
 
"What?!" Onew frowned at him. "Seungyeon-ssi, tell him that's not true,"
 
"W-well," Seungyeon thought for a moment. "He 'was' the one that asked me,"
 
"What?!"