Our little Gnomeo

Our story

 

"Ah, sure! What time do you want me to be there?"
 
"Uhm.. around noon?"
 
"Noon..?"
 
"Yeah, is that okay?"
 
"Uhm.. it's just that I'm not sure I'll be up by then..,"
 
"What?!"
 
"W-well, I can't help it if I oversleep on weekends,"
 
"Haih.. what am I going to do with you?"
 
"Heheh..,"
 
"Ya! I don't care if you have to stay up until tomorrow, make sure you're there by the time I get there,"
 
".., Fine..,"
 
"I have to go now,"
 
"Oh, okay,"
 
"Remember, noon, tomorrow,"
 
"Yeah, yeah,"
 
***
 
Joon stared off into the distance as he sat cross-legged in one of the restaurants inside the mall. "Haih..," he sighed, yawning tiredly. "I need more sleep," Joon said to himself. He looked down at his watch. It was 9 in the morning. 'Maybe I arrived a tad earlier than I planned,' Joon thought to himself as he slumped down onto the table.
 
Joon made his way through the mall slowly. 'I'm already here, might as well have a look around,' Joon thought. He walked around, checking out some clothes every now and then. After going a lap around the first floor, he turned towards his watch again. 9.20. 'Oh my god, this is totally killing me!' Joon thought despairingly. 'I wished she would've got here sooner, then I won't have to waste so much time,'
 
Just as he was about to leave a store, he suddenly saw a girl being chastised out of a store. The owner was yelling furiously at the girl about something, while pushing her out of the store. Instead of looking distressed however, the girl just smiled apologetically at the owner. The owner yelled a warning at her before furiously turning back towards his store. The girl looked around and saw Joon staring at her,like the many people who were present there at the time. The girl walked over towards him, but Joon quickly pretended to look at the clothes.
 
"Sorry you had to see that," The girl's voice suddenly came up from behind him.
 
Joon jumped slightly, surprised. He looked over his shoulder, towards her. "E-excuse me?"
 
"You saw that right?" the girl smiled awkwardly at him.
 
"H-huh?" Joon stuttered. "N-no, I was busy looking through some clothes," Joon said hastily.
 
"Uh-huh, I'm sure woman's clothes would look real nice on you," the girl giggled lightly.
 
Joon smiled sheepishly as he notices that he was holding a pair of skirts. "Heheh..," 
 
The girl giggled softly. "That's okay, you don't have to pretend like you didn't see it," the girl assured her.
 
"Ah, y-yes," Joon smiled awkwardly.
 
"Uhm.. could you help me out, a bit?" the girl asked him.
 
"H-huh? S-sure,"
 
The girl smiled reassuringly. "Great, could you please hold my hand?"
 
"What?"
 
"Just hold it," the girl insisted.
 
"O-okay," Joon grabbed her hand hesitantly.
 
"Now, could you take me to that store over there?" she pointed to a faraway store, on the other side of the mall.
 
"Oh, uhm, sure," Joon said as he pulled her hand to the store. "So, we're here," Joon said when they arrived at the store.
 
"Yes, you can let go of my hand now," the girl smiled at him.
 
Joon hurriedly pulled his hands away from the girl's. "S-sorry about that..,"
 
"Hehe, it's okay," the girl giggled lightly. "Thanks, you saved me back there,"
 
"I did?"
 
"Hehe, you're funny," the girl giggled again. "Of course you did,"
 
Joon smiled unsurely. "R-really? What did I do?"
 
"You pulled me out of that crowd," she pointed to where they were before.
 
"O-Oh.. so that's why..," Joon slowly caught on.
 
"Y-yeah," the girl smiled awkwardly. "People were staring at me, so I just had to get away. Sorry about using you like that,"
 
"Ah, no, no, it's okay," Joon waved her off. "What happened back there?"
 
"Hmm? Ah, I kind of overspent a bit," the girl smiled sheepishly. "I kind of chose a lot of stuff to buy, but when I charged the bill to my credit card, it said that I've exceeded the limit,"
 
"Ah, so that's why he kicked you out?"
 
"Pushed, more likely," the girl corrected him. "He thought I was pulling a prank, and that I wasn't really gonna buy all those stuff. I tried explaining, but he wouldn't have it,"
 
"And that's when..," Joon motioned the owner pushing her out.
 
"Yeah, that's when he pushed me out," she smiled weakly at him. "I was kinda embarassed after all that, you know, and I saw you staring at me, and I thought, maybe if I pretend you were my boyfriend, I wouldn't have to take all those stares, and you could take me away," the girl bowed apologetically. "Sorry,"
 
Joon waved his hands at her. "No, no, it's okay," Joon assured her. "I guess I was at fault too, cause I was totally staring when he pushed you out. It was the least I could do,"
 
"Thanks," the girl looked at him approvingly. "You're a cool guy, what's your name?"
 
"Me? I'm Lee Joon," Joon smiled happily.
 
"I'm Hyuna, nice to meet you," Hyuna introduced herself. "So, Lee Joon-ssi, do you have plans after this?"
 
Joon looked at her innocently. "Hmm? No, not really,"
 
"Great, because I'd hate it if I didn't get to repay what you've done for me,"
 
***
 
"I thought you said you didn't have any money?" Joon said after finishing his meal.
 
"I never said that," Hyuna replied. "I said I couldn't use my credit card, cash is a different matter entirely," she smiled slyly. "So, Joon-ssi, what are you doing here, alone, so early in the morning?" asked Hyuna.
 
Joon took a sip from his drink before answering. "I'm waiting for a friend of mine,"
 
"Oh, when are you meeting him?" Hyuna asked.
 
Joon turned towards his watch. 10.00. "Not anytime soon," Joon sighed weakly.
 
"Great, you can go shopping with me!" suggested Hyuna.
 
"H-huh?"
 
"You said it yourself, it's not like you have anything better to do. And I need some help with picking out clothes. You can kill time while hanging out with me. It's a win-win situation," suggested Hyuna.
 
"I-I guess," Joon nodded thoughtfully.
 
"Great!" Hyuna jumped excitedly. "Come on, we have so many places to go to!" she exclaimed giddily.
 
***
 
"Nuh-uh,"
 
Joon changed into another outfit before coming out again.
 
"Hmm.. it's missing something," Hyuna shook her head.
 
Joon went in and tried a different look. "How's this?"
 
"Oh?" Hyuna stood up to take a closer look. "It looks perfect!" she exclaimed excitedly. "We'll take it," Hyuna told one of the shop assistants.
 
Joon changed into his initial clothes before going back to Hyuna. "Are you sure about this?" he asked shyly.
 
"It wouldn't be right if I was the only one that got new clothes," Hyuna told him. "Besides, the dress was made for you, it'd be a pity if we didn't buy it,"
 
"Yeah but, you didn't have to pay for it," Joon said reluctantly.
 
Hyuna pouted her lips cutely. "It's my way of saying thanks.. please..," Hyuna pleaded with her large, round eyes.
 
Joon relented after seeing her. "Fine..,"
 
"Here you go miss," the assistant handed the bag to her.
 
Hyuna picked it up and handed it over to Joon. "Thanks," she thanked him. "See, I told you that was fun," Hyuna smiled smugly.
 
"I don't see it replacing soccer anytime soon, but.. I guess it was fun," Joon smiled warmly.
 
"See! I knew it!" Hyuna jumped excitedly. "Joon-ssi, it's getting late, when is your friend arriving?" Hyuna asked.
 
"Hmm? We probably have another half an hour," he said absent-mindedly before looking at his watch. It was 2 o'clock in the evening. "Wh-what?!" Joon exclaimed.
 
"What? What?" Hyuna asked curiously.
 
"Oh my god, I'm in trouble," Joon smacked his palm to his head. "I'm sorry Hyuna-ssi, I gotta go, my friend's waiting for me,"
 
"Oh? Uhm, okay then,"
 
"Here," Joon put down the bags he was carrying. "Sorry about this,"
 
"No, no, it's okay," Hyuna assured him. "Don't forget your clothes," Hyuna handed him the clothes she bought for him.
 
"Ah, thanks," Joon quickly snatched the bag before rushing away. "I'll see you around Hyuna-ssi," he yelled.
 
Hyuna waved him goodbye, before turning her attention to the bags in front of her. "Hmm.. how am I gonna carry all this..," she pondered.
 
***
 
Joon ran as fast as he could to where they promised to meet. He arrived there, out of breath, looking around for her, but he couldn't find her. 'Figures, she's probably left already,' he thought, dissapointed.
 
"Ya, I thought I told you to be waiting here, by the time I arrived,"
 
Joon turned around and saw Jiyeon standing there, wearing her coat, looking crossed at him. "J-jiyeon! Y-you're still here?!" Joon said excitedly.
 
"Of course I'm here. Just because you're late, doesn't mean I have to go down with you," Jiyeon said coldly.
 
"Y-yeah, well, sorry about that," Joon smiled guiltily. "I got caught up in something,"
 
"You do remember why we're here, right?" Jiyeon asked sharply.
 
"Of course! You want me to help you pick out a dress for the ball, how can I forget," Joon said jokingly.
 
Jiyeon scowled at him before walking away. "Come on, we don't have much time," Jiyeon said.
 
Joon jogged slightly to catch up with her. Jiyeon noticed he was panting heavily. "Are you okay? You seem out of breath,"
 
"What did you expect, I ran here as fast as I can," Joon bragged.
 
"Yeah well, it wasn't fast enough," Jiyeon said coldly. She then noticed the bag Joon was carrying at the time. "Oh, Joon, what's that you're holding?"
 
"Hmm? Ah, it's a shirt I bought for myself, on the way here," Joon said hesitantly.
 
Jiyeon took a look at the bag, before taking out its contents. "What kind of shirt did yo-," Jiyeon stopped mid-sentence when she saw the clothes in the bag.
 
Joon look out in horror as he noticed her holding the clothes Hyuna bought for herself.
 
***
 
"It's time to test out my new clothes!" Hyuna yelled excitedly as she laid the bags on her bed.
 
Jiyoon climbed onto her bed and looked at the clothes. "Ya, what did you buy this time?" she asked lazily.
 
"Just the usual, clothes, skirts, you know," Hyuna waved her off. "You know, I met this really hot guy earlier,"
 
"Yeah? Did you get his phone number?" Jiyoon asked.
 
"No!" Hyuna snorted. "I'm not gonna ask a guy his number after meeting him once,"
 
"Oh? You sure didn't mind buying him a shirt though?" Jiyoon said casually.
 
"Oh? How did you know I bought him a shirt?" Hyuna asked surprised.
 
Jiyoon took out the clothes she had bought for Joon from the bags. "You don't expect me to believe this is for you, do you?" Jiyoon asked skeptically.
 
***
 
"H-hey, look..,"
 
"Don't touch me!" Jiyeon said impatiently.
 
Joon retracted his hands timidly. "Ookay..,"
 
"Ceh, and I thought, why oh why was Lee Joon late? Well apparently, he stood me up for two hours for a girl," Jiyeon glared at him.
 
"I didn't mean to," Joon tried explaining himself. "I just met her today,"
 
"Oh great! I just got stood up for a girl he had just met today!" Jiyeon rolled her eyes in frustration. "Thanks, that made me feel loads better,"
 
"I'm sorry, okay?" Joon said desperately.
 
"Sorry? Okay?" Jiyeon glared at him. "You know, I'd just waited for you for two hours, two hours! I wasted my time to wait for you, and what did I get? A big fat 'I went out with another girl'!"
 
Joon winced as he heard the words coming out of her. "I don't think sorry's gonna cut it, huh?"
 
Jiyeon continued glaring at him. "That's it, forget the dress. I'm leaving," Jiyeon shook her head before walking away.
 
Joon ran his hands through his hair in frustration as he watched her walk away. "Aish!"
 
***
 
Jiyeon tapped her shoes impatiently as the train halts to a stop. She was impatient about getting out of there. She wanted to go home, relax, and forget this ever happened.
 
Just as the doors were about to close, a blonde-haired boy came rushing inside in the nick of time. Jiyeon looked up towards him. 'Great, he's here again,' she thought, when he saw Joon.
 
Joon looked around for her. Jiyeon lowered her head, hoping he couldn't see her. After hearing the familiar footsteps closing in towards her, she knew she'd failed. "What do you want?" she asked sharply.
 
Joon pretended like he didn't hear anything. Jiyeon glared at him again, before ignoring him. Suddenly Joon offered her a bag. "What?" Jiyeon asked him, but he just pretended like nothing happened while handing out the bag to her. Jiyeon begrudgingly snatched the bag, before continuing to ignore him.
 
Joon got off at the next station, leaving her to wonder about the bag alone. 'I wonder what's inside,' Jiyeon thought, before pushing the thought aside. She arrived home safely and threw the bag on the bed. She went over to get herself a drink before going back to her room. As soon as she entered the room, she realised what was in the bag.
 
A wide, thin rectangular box slid out from inside the bag. Jiyeon felt curious about what was inside the box. She noticed there was a note stickered onto the box.
 
'I'm sorry I let you down, I know I'm an idiot, but the good thing about idiots are that, they're too dumb to lie,' She chuckled after reading the message. It was nearly impossible to force Joon to admit he's an idiot. 'He must be pretty desperate,' she thought.
 
She opened the box, and inside it was a beautiful flowing red dress. Jiyeon was slightly awed by the dress. She took it out of the package, and tried to look in front of the mirror. It contemplates her quite nice.
 
Then she noticed another note attached inside the box.
 
'Sorry, I guess even Gnomeo makes mistakes sometimes. Don't be blue, Juliette. You look a lot better in red, trust me, I know,'
 
Jiyeon smiled slightly after reading the note. She knew she couldn't be mad at him for long, but that doesn't mean she can't pretend that she's still mad, at least for a while.