Our 'the Stupid'

Our story

 

*school bell rings*

 

“All right class, pack your bags. That’s it for today,”

 

*everyone stands up*

 

“Thank you, Principal Park,” the students exclaimed in unison.

 

***

 

“I’m just saying that it doesn’t feel right if we don’t have a team name!” pestered Joon.

 

“And I’m saying that the name can wait for later!” retorted Yoseob. “Right now, it’s more important to set our practice time and place,”

 

“Why are you all so fired up, the festival is next month,” wondered Kikwang.

 

“Don’t you know what the first prize is?” asked Joon.

 

“Oh? There’s a prize?”

 

“You didn’t even bother to read it thoroughly, did you?” nagged Yoseob.

 

“No, why bother,” Kikwang said coolly. “It’s probably something formal-like, like a scholarship or something,”

 

“You clearly haven’t been in this school long enough,” replied Yoseob. “The first prize winner will be exempted from any punishment/homework/co-curricular activities until next year’s music festival,”

 

“What?!” exclaimed Kikwang.

 

“That was my reaction too when I heard it earlier,” chuckled Yoseob.

 

“What are we waiting for? We need to practice now!”

 

“That’s why we should first set the time and place for us to practice,” explained Yoseob.

 

“Okay, tell me what days you’re unavailable,” Kikwang said.

 

“Well, let’s see,” thought Joon. “We have co-curricular activities every Wednesday and Friday,”

 

“And on Tuesday, Yoseob and I have tuition classes,” added Kikwang.

 

“So that leaves us with Monday and Thursday evening, and Weekends,” analysed Yoseob.

 

“Great! The four of us can meet up at my house after school on those 4 days then,” Soyeon concluded. “Starting tomorrow!”

 

“Okay, now we need to think up our costumes and songs, and our team name!” Joon said excitedly.

 

“Wait, Joon, me and Kiki.. that makes three,” Yoseob thought. Then they turned their attention towards Soyeon. “Soyeon, why are you butting in..”

 

“I’m your team manager,” Soyeon said with a smile.

 

“Uh, no you’re not,” denied Kikwang.

 

“Yes I am,” insisted Soyeon.

 

“What? No way!” refused Yoseob. “You’re just doing this to skip the festival aren’t you!”

 

“So what if I am?” Soyeon said coolly. “Do you really think you can win with just the three of you?”


Kikwang thought about this for a moment. “Fair point,” Kikwang said. “Okay, you’re our team manager, but no slacking off!”

 

“Do you even know who you’re talking to?” Soyeon said sarcastically.

 

“Speaking of which, Hyosung, who’re you performing with?” asked Kikwang.

 

“Hmm? Oh, Sunhwa already asked me to be on her team,” said Hyosung, to which Kikwang only nods his head.

 

“And you?” Yoseob asked Min.

 

“I’m gonna be performing with Suzy,” answered Min.

 

“Suzy? I thought she was from a different school,” wondered Yoseob.

 

“And you’re dissing Kikwang for not reading the poster,” teased Min. “This years festival will be a collaborative effort with ‘Dream High’, so she’s entering as well,”

 

“S-She’s coming here?” flustered Yoseob.

 

“This festival thing sure seems like a huge event,” Kikwang thought out loud.

 

“Of course it is,” insisted Min. “Even the seniors are partici-,”

 

*phone beeping*

 

“Hmm? I got a text mess-,” Min said, before shrieking loudly in excitement.

 

“Why, why?” confused Joon

 

*phone beeping*

 

“Oh? I got a text message too,” said Joon.

 

“Me too,”

 

“Me three,”

 

“I got one too,”

 

“Eh? I didn’t get any though,” wondered Kikwang.

 

“Ah, so that’s why she screamed,” thought Joon.

 

“Oh? They’re back already?” Soyeon said. “I guess they’ll be entering the music festival too then,”

 

“Who the hell are ‘the Stupid’?” wondered Yoseob.

 

“Why, why?” asked Kikwang.

 

“It says here ‘the Stupid’ are gonna perform tonight at ‘Club Escapade’,” explained Hyosung.

 

“the what?” asked Kikwang.

 

“How can you not know them!? They’re only like the best band in the world since like… FOREVER!!” shouted Min.

 

Kikwang shot a questioning look to Yoseob.

 

“What..? Hey, don’t look at me, I don’t know either.”

 

“They’re a 4-man band from our school’s applied music department.,” explained Hyosung. “Popularity wise, they’re even more popular than idols amongst our students,”

 

“Hmm? How come I’ve never heard anything about them?” puzzled Yoseob.

 

“Apparently two of the band members went to Japan on a student exchange program last year, so they had to pause for a few months,” explained Soyeon. “Since you just came in earlier this year, you probably have never heard of them,”

 

“How come I’m the only one who didn’t get the message though,” Kikwang said, searching for his phone. “Oh? Where is it?”

 

“Why, what’s wrong?” asked Hyosung.

 

“My phone, I think I left it in class,” answered Kikwang.

 

“What? Mom’s gonna flip if you lose it,” Yoseob said.

 

“I know, I know, you guys go on ahead, I’ll catch up with you guys later,” Kikwang said before rushing back to his classroom.

 

“Well, what are we waiting for?” asked Min excitedly. “Let’s go to ‘Club Escapade’!”

 

“What? Why? I’m hungry..” Yoseob said.

 

“Still, it’ll be good if we could scout out the competition beforehand,” thought Soyeon.

 

“Sounds fun! Let’s go!” Joon said excitedly.

 

“What about Kikwang?” asked Hyosung.

 

“I’ll send him a text message to come over to the club later,” answered Min. “Come on we’re gonna be late!”

 

“Oh, ok,” agreed Hyosung slowly. She then went over to Soyeon and whispered, “Why does Min have Kikwang’s phone number?”

 

“Hmm? Oh, they’re childhood friends,” explained Soyeon. “I have his phone number too if you want them,”

 

“Ah, N-No,”

 

***

 

“Hurry up, we’re gonna be late for the performance,” said Wonbin.

 

“Ahh, I wished we could grab a bite first before performing,” Minhyuk whined.

 

“Tell you what, after the performance, I’ll treat you to dinner,” offered Sehyun.

 

“You guys go on ahead,” Yonghwa told his band mates. “I’ll catch up to you later,”

 

“Why? Hyung, where are you going?” asked Minhyuk.

 

“I’m going to go meet Shinhye noona for a minute,”

 

“Haih, it sure must feel good to date a senior, eh?” teased Wonbin.

 

“Hey, I told you already, she’s not my girlfriend,” Yonghwa joked around. “I’m too wonderful to just belong to one person,”

 

“Do you know how conceited that sound,” joked Wonbin.

 

“So? It’s still true,”

 

“Aish, just go already!” Sehyun finally said.

 

***

 

*door slammed open*

 

Kikwang rushed over to his desk. “Oh? It’s not here!” exclaimed Kikwang. “I’m so dead!”

 

“Kikwang-ssi, is this what you’re looking for,” Seohyun said while holding up his phone.

 

Kikwang turned back and looked at the phone she’s holding. “Oh? That’s it!” Kikwang exclaimed happily.

 

“I saw it lying there on your table, so I was planning to hold on to it and give it to you tomorrow,” explained Seohyun.

 

“Thank you, Seohyun-ssi! You’re a lifesaver!” exclaimed Kikwang. “But Seohyun-ssi, what are you still doing here?”

 

“Huh? Ah, I was just revising today’s lessons,” replied Seohyun.

 

“I see,” Kikwang said. “Are you on your way back now?”

 

“Uhm, yes. Why?”

 

“Nothing, I was just wondering if you’d like a lift back home,” offered Kikwang. “It’s the least I could do after you helped me,”

 

“Umm, no, no thanks, I’m okay,” rejected Seohyun.

 

“Come on, please..” pleaded Kikwang. “Think of it as my way of saying thank you,”

 

“Uhm.. I don’t think…”

 

“Please…” pleaded Kikwang.

 

Seohyun hesitated for a moment. “O-Okay, let me pack up my things first,”

 

“Yes!” exclaimed Kikwang. He helped Seohyun pack up her stuff, and then left the class while talking with her. Because he wasn’t paying attention, he bumped into a student as soon as he stepped out of the class.

 

“Uff,” Kikwang said. “Ouch..”

 

“Ahh..” said the other boy.

 

Kikwang quickly stood up and held out his hand to help the boy. The boy quickly grabbed his hands and pulled himself up.

 

“Thanks,” said the boy, brushing his pants slightly.

 

“No problem, I’m having quite a string of bad lu…, wait, are you.. Yonghwa?”

 

Yonghwa looked up towards Kikwang. “Yeah, and you’re..? Oh? Kikwang?!”

 

Kikwang looked really surprised when he saw him. “Yonghwa!” Kikwang exclaimed while hugging him. “What are you doing here?!”

 

“What are you doing here?!” Yonghwa asked back.

 

“I’m a student here!” answered Kikwang.

 

“So am I!” replied Yonghwa. “Is this your class?”

 

“Yeah,”

 

“Wah, my class is right next door!” exclaimed Yonghwa. “It’s been, what? 12, 13 years? Who’s this?”

 

“Ah, I’m Seohyun, it’s nice to meet you,” Seohyun answered hurriedly.

 

“Is she your girlfriend?” teased Yonghwa.

 

“What? No!” Kikwang then took a look towards Seohyun. “Hey, Yonghwa, I’m kinda busy rite now, so let’s chat tomorrow okay?”

 

“No, no, Kikwang-ssi, it’s okay, I can just go back by myself,” Seohyun added hurriedly.

 

“Aish, I already promised that I’ll take you home didn’t I?” smiled Kikwang. “It’s okay, we can talk tomorrow right?”

 

“Yeah, I’m kind of in a hurry myself, so I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Yonghwa said to Kikwang. “It was nice seeing you, both of you,” before throwing a wink at Seohyun.

 

“Yeah, we’ve got a lot of catching up to do,” mused Kikwang. “Okay, bye,”

 

***

 

“Kikwang-ssi, was that your friend earlier?” asked Seohyun.

 

“Hmm? Yeah, Yonghwa’s been my friend since kindergarten,” explained Kikwang. “Why?”

 

“N-Nothing,”

 

*phone beeps*

 

“Oh? Message,” Kikwang thought. “They already went over to ‘Club Escapade’?”

 

“Why, Kikwang-ssi?” Seohyun asked. “Did something come up?”

 

“Ah, no, it’s nothing,” Kikwang said, laughing it off. “Here sit in the back, and hold onto me, can’t have my friend falling over while I’m cycling now, can I?”

 

“Ah, sure,”

 

Kikwang cycled on with Seohyun while she showed him the direction to her house.

 

“Seohyun, why are you so quiet in class?” asked Kikwang.

 

“Hmm? No reason, I just don’t have a lot of friends,” answered Seohyun.

 

“Really? Then can we be your friends?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You know, Yoseob, me and our friends,” explained Kikwang. “I’m sure they’d love to be your friends,”

 

“Uhm.. but I really don’t want to trouble you guys..”

 

“What? Don’t worry, It’s no trouble at all!” Kikwang assured her. “And by being our friend, you’ll meet new friends, and those friends will let you meet newer friends, and those newer friends will let you meet newer, newer friends,” joked Kikwang. “So, what do you say? Wanna be our friend?” Kikwang said while holding out his left hand for a handshake.

 

“Kikwang-ssi, It’s not safe for you to be cycling one-handed like that,”

 

“I won’t stop till you say yes,”

 

“O-okay, let’s be friends from now on,” Seohyun said, shaking the hand Kikwang offered her.

 

“Great! And~ here we are, Seohyun-ssi’s house,” Kikwang said happily. “That’ll be 5000 won,” Kikwang said while holding out the palm of his hand.

 

“Wh-what?”

 

“Well, you didn’t think I was gonna let you ride on for free did you?”

 

“Uhm, n-no, I guess not,” Seohyun quickly took out his wallet and brought out 5000 won.

 

“Woah, Seohyun, I’m just joking, just joking,”

 

“Ah,” relieved Seohyun. “Thank you Kikwang-ssi,”

 

“Ah, yes~,” Kikwang said. “By the way, since we’re friends, you don’t need to call me Kikwang-ssi, just call me Kikwang,”

 

“Yes, Kikwang-ssi,” Seohyun continued.

 

“We’ll.. work on that later,” Kikwang said. “Okay, bye,”

 

“Bye,”

 

“Oh, by the way, Seohyun-ah, do you know where is ‘Club Escapade’?”

 

“Umm, I’m sorry Kikwang-ssi, I’m not really familiar with the neighborhood yet,”

 

“Ah, that’s ok, I’ve lived here for a year, and still there are some places I’ve never even heard of,” Kikwang told her. “Okay, see you tomorrow Seohyun,”

 

While cycling back, Kikwang took out his phone to ask Yoseob for directions.

 

“Oh, my phone ran out of battery,” Kikwang thought. “Guess I’ll just have to wait for Yoseob at home,”

 

***

 

“I can’t reach him, I guess his phone must have died,” Yoseob said.

 

“Shhh!” shushed Min. “The band’s about to start!”

 

“Too bad, he’s gonna miss th- Ouch!” Joon yelled out because Min pinched him hard on his thigh.

 

“Shut up!” whispered Min.

 

The band went up on stage and did their tuning and check-ups. A few minutes later the lead guitarist went up and helped out s. After a few minutes, they were ready.

 

“Testing, testing, mike check, one, two, three,”, “Are you ready everybody!” yelled the lead guitarist, working up the crowd.

 

“Yeah!!” they all screamed in unison.

 

“Did you miss us?!!” teased the guitarist again.

 

“Yeah!!”

 

“That lead singer, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him somewhere,” Yoseob told Joon.

 

“Nah, It’s probably just your imagination,” Soyeon said.

 

“Are you ready to sing with us?!!” yelled the guitarist again.

 

“Yeah!!” Min shouted along with the other fan-girls.

 

“No, I’m pretty sure I’ve met him before,” Yoseob thought.

 

The guitarist motioned to his band mates, ‘1.. 2.. 3.. START!!’

 

***

 

“Hey, where were you yesterday? You missed out on a great show,” Joon asked.

 

“I was just helping Seohyun,” explained Kikwang. “Oh, here she is. Everyone say hello to Seohyun, starting today she is one of our friends,”

 

Everyone looked at him suspiciously.

 

“Why, why?” Kikwang wondered.

 

“What are you talking about? We’ve always thought of Seohyun as one of our friends,” Hyosung said coolly.

 

“Eh? Really?” Seohyun said, surprised.

 

“Of course we have, otherwise why would we wave to you everyday,” Soyeon said, making it sound as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

 

“Ahahaha, seems like there was a misunderstanding, glad I cleared that up,” Kikwang claimed.

 

“What? Don’t go taking all the credits, Seohyun and me were friends way before you arrived,” interrupted Yoseob. “Right, Seohyun?”

 

“Ah, y-yes..”

 

At that moment, someone came and knocked at the classroom door.

 

“Ehem, excuse me. Is Kikwang-ssi here?” asked the boy.

 

Min was left speechless. “Th-That.. ‘St-Stupid’,”

 

“Oh, you two know each other?” Soyeon asked Kikwang.

 

“Ah, so that’s why he looked familiar,” Yoseob thought.

 

“Everyone, meet my old friend, Yonghwa,”