Chapter 9: Mom’s Spaghetti

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

Physics1 Class.

The introductions were over and now their professor was handing them over the subject’s syllabus. The girl couldn’t concentrate on reading the syllabus and listening to the professor. She felt like someone’s staring at her and she was right. The gossip machine was staring at her. It’s as if the girl’s intention were to put a hole on her head and know what she’s thinking at that moment.

Hyoyeon squirmed in her seat when Sunny continued staring at her.

“So, Hyo…mind telling me what your little secret is?” Sunny asked her. The girl was smiling like a Cheshire cat. 

“I don’t have any secret. Even if I do why would I tell you?”

Sunny nodded, “Okay then. But remember this, Kim Hyoyeon. I will find out what your secret is and when I do, I’m gonna make sure that there would be no way in hell you’d be able to deny it.”

“Whatever.” After a few second of pondering she came to a realization that Sunny might be snooping around her things when she’s not in their room. This girl. Aish! Now, I have to buy a big safe to keep my personal stuff in there.


---


Algebra Class.

Yoona and Jessica were sitting in the front row. Seohyun, Sooyoung and Taeyeon were sitting behind them. Seohyun and Taeyeon were looking at them. They were chatting and laughing like there’s no tomorrow. Sooyoung was thinking about something else…Food and Fany.

A girl who had huge glasses and ruffled hair entered the room. Taeyeon stood up and bowed. “Good morning, professor.” She smiled at the girl but immediately changed her expression when she saw the girl scowling at her.

“I am not the professor, you .”

Her four friends laughed at her. Poor Taeyeon.

“Good job, Taeyeon,” Jessica said, giving her two thumbs up while laughing.

“Taeyeon-unnie, that was mean,” said Seohyun.

“I didn’t mean to. She looked like a professor.”

The girl named Narsha heard her, “You hobbit! Just because you look like a kid doesn’t mean--”, she scoffed.

“How exactly does a professor look like?” another girl entered the room. She’s about as tall as Taeyeon. She has this engaging smile as she put her things on her table.

“Apparently, this midget thinks I look like a professor,” Narsha said.

“No name calling. We’re here to learn, not to insult each other,” she said. “Introductions. Introduce yourself. Let’s start with you ‘Oscar the grouch’,” she smiled at Narsha.

All of the students were thinking the same thing at that time. What happened to ‘no name calling’?


---


After their class ended, Taeyeon, Jessica, Yoona, Seohyun and Sooyoung stayed in the classroom.

“Could you believe that professor? She called me ‘Chubby Cheeks’! Ugh!” Sooyoung said stomping her feet.

“You’re ‘Chubby Cheeks 1’ and Seohyun is ‘Chubby Cheeks 2’,” Taeyeon said as she giggles.

Seohyun pouted and puffed her cheeks. Yoona, who got ‘Alligator Mouth’ as her nickname, chuckled at the sight of Seohyun pouting.

“Taeyeon-unnie, with all due respect, I’d rather be called that way than be referred to as ‘Snow White’s Missing Dwarf’,” said Seohyun.

“That’s a good one,” Sooyoung said, laughing along with Yoona and Seohyun.

Jessica’s the only one who wasn’t laughing. After a few seconds, she broke into a laughing fit, “Snow White’s Missing Dwarf,” she said in between her laughs.

“You really are ‘Slowpoke Sica’,” said Sooyoung.

“Yah, Sooyoung-ah, don’t…don’t call her…that…it’s not nice.” Taeyeon tried to keep a straight face but failed big time. She was laughing so hard that tears were actually streaming down her face.

Jessica glared at the two but her expression quickly changed when she heard Yoona’s voice.

“I like how ‘Sica’ sounds. It’s cute. It suits you.”

“Really?”

Yoona nodded. Jessica smiled shyly. Seohyun and Taeyeon noticed the change in Jessica’s demeanor. In fact, both of them notice all the time.

Sooyoung was oblivious to her surroundings. She was thinking about something. No, it’s not about Tiffany and it’s not about food.

“You know what’s weird?”

The girls looked at her.

“Our professor didn’t tell us what her name is.”


---


Meanwhile, Yuri and Tiffany who had their class dismissed minutes ago were walking along the hallway. Tiffany was thinking about Yunho. Yuri was thinking about how she’ll spend her vacant time. Her next class is Physical Education 1 and it’s not until after lunch. It’s only 9 am. She’s got more than 3 hours to spare, so does Tiffany. Surprise, surprise...They’re basically classmates on all of their minor classes.

She nudged Tiffany who was walking beside her. “Yah, are you going to go back to the house? Our next class isn’t until 12:30.”

“Yeah, I guess. I won’t sit or walk around the hallway for three hours now, would I?”

Yuri stopped walking and looked at Tiffany. She shook her head at the sight. Tiffany’s hair was still a mess. She reached into her bag and handed a comb to the girl. “That’s a comb. It’s used for fixing your hair. Gosh, just because you’re a computer geek doesn’t mean you have to dress like one.”

Tiffany combed her hair and shoved the comb back to Yuri when she was done. “It’s your fault. If you woke me up I—“

“’Thank you’ is fine, you know.”

“Thank you. You’re my hero for lending me a comb. I could’ve died if it weren’t for you. ‘I am eternally grateful’. Happy?”

“I would be if you weren’t so sarcastic.” She looked at Tiffany and she noticed that the girl wasn’t paying attention to her anymore. She was fiddling with her phone.

Rude much? I was still talking.

“YAH!”

“What?” Tiffany answered. No expression at all. She seemed like she just woke up from a slumber.

Weirdo.

Yuri her lips and rubbed the back of her neck, “You want to walk back to the house together?” Yuri was hesitant to ask. She honestly doesn’t know if she and Tiffany are really in good terms now.

Tiffany looked at her and answer, “I can’t.”

Yuri nodded and walked away.

“I brought my car. I kinda forgot that it only takes five minutes for me to reach the building.”

Yuri chuckled which made Tiffany laugh at herself as well. 

“Stop it. It’s not funny,” she said while still giggling, “I know it’s silly and I seemed like such a brat but I was freaking out!”

They finally got tired of laughing and started heading out. An idea popped into Tiffany’s head, “I know!” she exclaimed, “I’ll ride my car while you walk and then I’ll match your pace…so we’ll be back in the house…at the same time,” she was mumbling as she realized how silly it sounded.

Yuri looked at her weirdly. “Well, the good thing is that you realize how silly that sounds.” She saw Tiffany’s face go red. Little Ms. I-want-to-have-everything-that’s-pink is embarrassed, eh? 

“What the heck. Come on.”

Tiffany went to the parking lot and Yuri waited for her in front of the building.

Yuri was munching on the Skittles that she brought with her when she saw Tiffany’s car approaching. Tiffany stopped her car, “Are you sure you don’t want to just ride my car and go back to the house faster?”

“This was your brilliant idea.” Yuri started walking as Tiffany started her car again and drove it really slowly to match Yuri’s walking pace.

“Have you eaten yet?” Yuri asked.

“I took an apple from the fridge before I left but I only had a couple of big bites. Now that you’ve asked me that, you have to feed me when we get home.”

“Feed you?” Yuri raised a brow.

“Yes. You have to cook some delicious grub for me.”

“Oh.”

“You dummy,” Tiffany giggled, “Did you think I was asking you to actually feed me? Like actually put something in my mouth? Like a little kid?”

“No.” Yuri hastened her pace.

“You were so~ thinking that. Don’t even try to deny it.”

They got home quickly because Yuri was almost power walking. She immediately went inside the kitchen and rummaged the pantry to see what she could cook for both of them.

Tiffany soon arrived at the kitchen and leaned on the kitchen counter. “I want spaghetti,” she said. “Can you pwease make me spaghetti? Pweety pwease Yuwee?”

“Shut up ‘Tweety Bird’.”

“But I tawt I taw a putty tat. You don’t wike tweety pie?” Tiffany mimicked Tweety’s voice again. She also tried to pull a puss-in-boots on Yuri but the other girl just got annoyed.

“Stop it or I will let you starve.”

“Fine but I like to have spaghetti.”

“Alright, alright!”


---


Sunny and Hyoyeon were now in the same class with the rest of the girls. The students were gathered in the school’s gym. They are all sitting on the bleachers and waiting for their professor. Compared to other classes this class was particularly huge. There were about thirty students in one class. 

The housemates were chatting with each other, talking about the boring Physics class and the interesting professor in the class who were calling them names. 

“Good morning, class. Daniel Henney, your professor in PE1,” a good looking guy said. He was wearing a track suit and carrying a badminton racket. 

The girls in the class were all in awe. Who wouldn’t be? The guy looks like a Greek god. Clean-cut and armed with his manly physique.

“Daniel Henney. Your professor for PE1 and most probably I’d also be your professor for PE2 and PE3. This class is a prerequisite for those subjects. If you pass this subject you could either take PE2 first or PE3. It’s your prerogative.”

He smiled and held up the badminton racket. “The first half of this term would be all about badminton. The second half would be about tennis. Examinations would involve both written and practical tests.”

He continued talking about the course while some of the students were spacing out, some were gawking at him and some just doesn’t care that much. It’s badminton. How hard could it possibly be?

They are so wrong. You see, Professor Henney takes his craft way too seriously. Beyond that angelic smile of his is an overbearing and impatient professor. If there’s someone a student should watch out for, it’s a professor like him. 

If Professor Henney told you to do a forehand and you performed a backhand, even if it was unintentional, prepare yourself from all the yelling and possibly, some spraying in the face. Eww. Before he got into teaching, he was in the army. He got so used to all the yelling that his superiors did which, according to the officers, would help them be motivated. Ever since he started teaching, it has been one of his teaching tactics. Surprisingly, it works. Not one of his students has passed without having full knowledge on the sport he taught them.

Since it was their first day meeting, he dismissed them early, reminding them not to be late for class next week.


---


“Yuri-ah,” Tiffany whined. She’s been pacing back and forth. It was taking too long for Yuri to finish what she’s cooking. She’s been bugging the girl for the past 30 minutes. 

“It’ll be done in a few. Just stay put.”

“I’m hungry~” she continued to whine.

Yuri tried to distract Tiffany by coming up with something interesting to talk about. “So, what do you think about our professor and our classmates earlier?”

“Our professor’s really nice. I already like her. Our classmates…” she paused, remembering Yunho, “they look interesting.”

“They do, don't they? That Canadian girl was so tall. I feel so puny when she walked in front of me.”

“I know, right? She’s probably 5’8” or 5’9”, something like that. That Siwon guy is kind of obnoxious.”

“Yeah. What do you think about Yunho?”

“I think he’s rude, he doesn’t care about anything but himself and I seriously think he should not get into a relationship because he is obviously not –“she stopped talking when she realized she’s telling things to Yuri that she wasn’t supposed to say.

“That’s…” Yuri’s gaze was now directed towards Tiffany, “You know him?”

Tiffany nodded and continued the rant that she had already started, “He’s very irresponsible and—“

Yuri cut her off, “How’s he related to you?”

Tiffany told Yuri the story between her and Yunho. They were a couple in high school. Being young and naïve, she thought that Yunho will be ‘the one’ or whatever cheesy thing you want to call it but Yunho thought otherwise. He also liked Tiffany, don’t get him wrong. Man, who wouldn’t like her? She’s smart, friendly, talented and unbelievably pretty. Everytime the girl would walk by, it seems like she’s walking in slow motion and “Noona Neomu Yeppeo(Replay)” is playing in the background.

Anyways, Tiffany broke up with Yunho after a few months because she noticed that he had changed. He’s not as sweet and not as caring like he was on their first month being together as a couple. He would disregard her and hang out with his friends. The saddest and most hurtful thing for Tiffany is that when she broke it off with Yunho, he just stood there for a few seconds and said ‘Bye. See you around.’ It’s as if the guy didn’t care. Tiffany was a big grudge-holder. That’s why until now she still hates Yunho.

“He’s a guy. I think it’s your fault, too. You took it way too seriously.”

Tiffany’s jaw almost hit the ground when she heard Yuri’s remark, “How dare you! I thought we’re friends! If you’re going to take sides, take my side.” She pouted and crossed her arms.

“You’re being childish and you’re telling me that that Yunho is the only one at fault. Both of you are. Let’s stop talking about that huge ‘blonde moment’ of yours and let’s eat. Food’s done.”

And it was. Yuri was done cooking and plating her dish. The sauce was separated from the spaghetti noodles. Yuri sat down and Tiffany followed suit.

“You could drench it in sauce by the way. I do that all the time,” she said as she was scooping the sauce.

“You want some cheese?” Yuri asked.

Tiffany nodded.

They both enjoyed it and Tiffany volunteered to wash the dishes.

“That was so good. Who taught you how to cook that?” Tiffany asked.

“My mom. It’s actually her recipe. I’ve always loved how her sauce tasted sour, sweet and a little salty at the same time,” she smiled.

“She must be ten times better than you then,” she smiled.

“She is.”

“I would love to have a taste of your mom’s cooking,” she smiled.

Yuri just smiled. Times like these are when she misses her mom the most.