Chapter 6: Colored Santoku Knife

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

“Taeyeon likes –“ Hyoyeon got cut off.

“HYOYEON!”

“What?”

Taeyeon gestured for her to shut up and she obeyed.

“Taeyeon likes…?” Tiffany asked.

“I like shopping. Yes, let’s all go to the mall tomorrow,” she said arming herself with a toothy, dorky grin.

Tiffany squealed, “You are so smart, Taengoo. I’m going to tell the others. That’s a better idea than what they initially planned, going to an amusement park is so overrated,” she said, rolling her eyes.

“They might be sleeping now. Let’s just tell them tomorrow and don’t call me that.”

“I like calling you that. Do you have any problem with that?”

Then, Taeyeon remembered that she needs to be nice to Tiffany since she’s the step sister of Jessica. She shook her head and said, “I don’t. It’s totally fine,” she finished with an “okay” sign.

“Good. By the way, Hyo, could you please tell Sooyoung that I’ll return her external hard disk tomorrow. She’s not in her room when I went there. I’ll try to copy the software that she gave me later. Thanks. Night you guys,” she said smiling before walking out.

Taeyeon stood up and started walking towards the door. She turned to the two girls who are now aware of her stalking ways, “Please you two, whatever it is that we discussed here tonight don’t let it leave this room.”

Both of them nodded. “Our lips are sealed.”


---


Tiffany returned to her room and saw Yuri sitting on the edge of her bed, holding a photo frame. When Yuri felt a figure staring at her, she looked up. She put the photo frame down and her laptop.

Tiffany looked away and walked towards her bed. She opened her laptop and plugged in Sooyoung’s external hard drive. She copied the software and installed it.

Then she turned it off and started wiping her pink laptop. It had her fingerprints on it and that’s the least she’d want to see when she looks at her favourite gadget.

Yuri looked at her weirdly. From her point of view, Tiffany looked like she had just bought her first car and she didn’t want any scratches on it. She was treating the inanimate object like it was a baby that needed all the care in the world.

“You are such a geek,” she mumbled and continued to wait for the video that she clicked on YouTube to buffer. She played it when she saw it was almost done.

The next thing Tiffany heard was Yuri’s ear-splitting scream from Yuri.

“WHY THE HELL DID YOU LET HIM KISS YOU, SELENA?! WHY?!”

“Hey would you stop screaming, you’ll wake everyone up, dummy,” Tiffany said in a calm manner.

“But… but this is just atrocious. Selena let Bieber kiss her.”

“And? Are you against gay relationships now? Is It your first time seeing a girl kiss another girl?” she chuckled as she finished her sentence.

Yuri giggled at the girl’s remark. Who knew she’s capable of making such comment.

Wow. Who would have thought this pink hater has a cute laugh.

Yuri was supposed to answer but there was a knock on their door.

“Come in.”

“Hey, Tiffany, I was just wondering if you’re done with the software. Have you installed it in your laptop?”

“Oh, yeah. I was supposed to return it to you tomorrow but since you’re here now…” she handed the it to Sooyoung, “Thanks, Soo.”

“No prob,” she smiled and was already heading out when she remembered something, “Tiffany, do you want to go out tomorrow?”

“We’re all going out tomorrow, right? There is a bit of change in the plans, though. We’re going shopping!” she exclaimed.

“Shopping? I thought we’re all going to the theme park.”

Tiffany told her about their small discussion in Sunny and Hyo’s room.

Sooyoung nodded and proceeded to her room. After Sooyoung left, Tiffany looked at her roommate whose eyes were still glued to the screen, looking at god knows what. “Are you coming with us tomorrow?” she asked with a straight face.

Yuri looked at her with a bored look, “You don’t want me to come?”

“I hope you won’t come,” she said, sounding like a bratty kid talking to her archenemy in kindergarten.

The other girl grinned and said, “I’ll gothen.”

Tiffany gave her a glare but the latter just shrugged it.

Tiffany was hoping that her roommate wouldn’t be a pain in the and that they would get along. Her player ways even kicked in when she thought about having a roommate, she wished the girl was pretty and nice. She got half of what she wished for, Yuri is pretty and hot, she admits, but she can’t always get what she wants.

They could’ve gotten along but the girl just had to run her big mouth and talk non sense about her and her favourite colour. If they got along well, she might even think about dating her. Her dating someone who could actually cook something edible… that’d be new. All the people she went out with are either too spoiled to cook their own food or too scared to even go near the stove and boil water.

Despite the fact that they hate each other right now, she was still hoping that they would eventually get along. They’d live in the same house and sleep in the same room together for four years, for pete’s sake. She doesn’t want to bicker with her roommate all the time. Good thing I have Jessie with me and seven other girls that I could get along with.


---


Yuri was still up until 2 in the morning looking at her mom’s pictures that were saved on her laptop. When her eyes got tired, she decided to go to sleep. She turned her computer off and turned to see if her roommate was already asleep and she was. She was hugging two pink plush toys. One was round and the other one had something that looked like a ribbon. It was the cute pokemon, Jigglypuff and Hello Kitty. She is such a kid.

She situated herself on the bed and covered her body with the blanket, one leg sticking out. She reached out for something under one of her pillows. It was a Mickey Mouse plush toy. She hugged it tightly and fell asleep.


---


The next morning, they all had breakfast and talked about their plans for the day. It was the last day before classes start. They all agreed to go to the malls because going to an amusement park during Sundays would be too much of a stress. The queues would probably kill them. Let’s just say that they’re a bunch of teens that aren’t good in waiting.

“So which cars will we ride?” Taeyeon asked.

“We certainly cannot take Tiff’s. She has a two-seater Bentley. I don’t have my car with me,” said Jessica.

“The new two-seater Bentley?” Yuri asked.

“Yes. Jealous?”

Yuri let out a chuckle, “Wow. You have to use a car to get a date, huh? I bet no one would dare to go out with you if you don’t have a fancy car.”

“Ugh! You’re one to talk. Have you ever gone out on a date yet? Seems to me like you haven’t because you’re always gloomy and you probably only smile when someone’s in pain.”

That one hit her. The girl was right. She wasn’t smiling as much as she did when her mom was still with them. She wasn’t as friendly either. Tears were forming in her eyes but she knows she shouldn’t cry. She’s never told any of them about her mom yet. About how she lost the person who gave life to her a month before she graduated high school. So she looked away.

Tiffany, seeing as how she won their senseless argument, smiled, “We could take Hyo and Yoona’s car.”

The two agreed and they divided themselves into two. Sooyoung, Tiffany and Taeyeon will ride in Hyo’s car, much to Taeyeon’s dismay, and Seohyun, Sunny and Jessica will be riding with Yoona. Yuri approached Sooyoung and told her that she’ll be riding in her car, by herself. She made an excuse that she has to pick up something along the way. Sooyoung, by far, is her closest friend in the house. They get along quite well because of obvious reasons, Yuri could cook so damn well and Sooyoung likes eating. They clicked the moment Sooyoung tasted the midnight snack that she made. When Yuri saw how the taller girl devoured the meal she prepared, she knew she’d be friends with the eating machine.


---


When they arrived at the mall, they waited for Yuri on the lobby. She arrived ten minutes after the others did. They went to different shops and bought random things, necessities and things that simply caught their eye.

It was already three in the afternoon when they felt the need to eat. It was a different case for Sooyoung, though. They just ignored her. Her best friend, Hyoyeon, tried to pacify the whining ‘shikshin’ by making Tiffany walk beside the tall girl. Tiffany did not know the reason why Hyoyeon told her to do such thing but she still complied. There were times when the eye smile girl clang onto Sooyoung’s arm and dragged her to a store that she liked. Hyoyeon’s plan worked. Sooyoung stopped complaining and happily followed the cheerful girl to wherever she wanted to go.

They decided to eat at Sbarro, as suggested by Yoona, Jessica and Tiffany. Yoona and Jessica were assigned to get the food. It was Jessica’s chance to interrogate Yoona about Seohyun.

“So, Yoong… How did you meet Seohyun? You graduated in the states, right?”

“Yeah, we’re schoolmates, she graduated there and before we broke up…actually, even before we got together as a couple, we already had plans on studying in IU,” she answered while looking at the food. She was so~ hungry but unlike Sooyoung, she didn’t whine about it.

“I see. Why did you two break up?” she was a little hesitant to ask but she wasn’t the type to beat around the bush.

Yoona smiled, “Maybe I’ll tell you some other time, yes?”

“Why don’t you just tell me now?” she asked.

“You’re a persistent one, aren’t you?” she said as she pinched Jessica’s nose.

“Yoong~, aish!”

Taeyeon saw the two and pouted. What does that kid have that I don’t?

The two returned to their table and chatted with the other girls. Jessica noticed that Yuri was silent. Since they got there, the girl only spoke three words to them. “Sorry, I’m late.”

She elbowed her sister who was sitting next to her, “Look what you did to her,” she pointed at Yuri, “You should be ashamed of yourself.”

Tiffany scoffed, “She started it. You didn’t even back me up. AGAIN!”

Jessica sighed then shook her head, “What if something happened to her that made her depressed? Have you even thought about that?”

“She still started it,” she said stubbornly.

“You should at least say sorry. You’re roommates for crying out loud, Tiffany Hwang!” she raised her voice a little.

“If you treat Taeyeon nicely then maybe I’ll consider that silly demand of yours.”

“What does Taeyeon have to do with you saying sorry to her?”

“We’re in the same boat, Jessie,” she smirked.

“She’s not annoying like Taeyeon. I don’t see how we’re in the same boat,” she mocked Tiffany by air quoting her last sentence.

Before she even had the chance to retaliate, their food arrived. They all ate happily except for Yuri who faked a smile when the girls talked to her. Tiffany took note of that. Stupid, Jessie. Now I feel guilty! 


---


They continued their trip to the mall after they ate. They followed Taeyeon and she led them to the kitchen wares section.

While they were walking, something ‘pink’ caught Tiffany’s attention. She grabbed the item and held it carefully. “Cool, a pink knife!” she giggled like a little girl.

“It’s a color coated Santoku Knife,” said Yuri from behind her.

She turned around and looked at the girl. Yuri was looking at the knife, her gaze seemed blank but if you’d actually take time to observe the girl’s eyes, you’d see eyes filled with sadness and longing. Why does she look so sad? Is it because of what I said about her earlier?

“Oh. It’s nice. Very easy to grip.”

Yuri walked away.

Tiffany got a hold of the whole set of the color coated Santoku Knife and brought it to the cashier then paid for it.

“Hey, let me carry that for you,” said Sooyoung who snuck up on her.

During the time she spent together with the tall girl, dragging her to wherever she goes, she found out more interesting facts about her like she smokes when she’s stressed out and that she needs to eat like every hour to live and function properly.

She nodded and all of them walked to the parking lot. It was time to go home after a very long day.