Chapter 60: For you, I'm Willing to Look Like a Fool

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

Tiffany was sitting on a bench, lacing her ice skates, occasionally shooting the tanned girl a glare. Yuri was sitting beside her and she was also busy…staring at Krystal in awe.

Krystal and her friends arrive an hour before Tiffany, Yuri and the others did.

“Whoa! Did you see that? She just twirled in the air and landed perfectly!”

Tiffany rolled her eyes and shoved Yuri. She stood up and glared at her roommate, “Don’t drool now. Your Krystal’s coming here.” She directed her glare at Krystal who had a smug smile plastered on her face before skating in the other direction.

“Glad you could make it,” Krystal said.

“Yeah. Sorry we got late because of a certain blondie who fell asleep in the bathroom.” She stared at Tiffany and remembered what they’ve talked about the other night. She decided that it would be better to leave her alone for a while so instead of chasing her, she stayed and continued talking to Krystal.

“You look like you’ve had formal training in figure skating.”

Krystal grinned. She was ecstatic that Yuri took notice. “It’s a hobby but yeah, I asked my parents to let me have a formal training in it. It feels nice being on ice.”

The two of them continued their conversation unaware that a certain girl was giving them the death glare.

“Careful not to break the ice with your laser-like glares, Tiff,” Jessica said as she skated past Tiffany.

“That sweet-talking liar is going to get it from me once we get home.”

“You could just drag her away from Krystal instead of staying far away from them as possible and moping by yourself.”

Tiffany scoffed. “Trust me, that’s exactly what I want to do.”

“Why not do it?”

“And have Yuri thinking that I’m as violent as you are?”

Jessica shrugged and waved at Taeyeon who was currently doing forward swizzles. The shorter girl wanted to outdo Sooyoung who was pretty much a novice in ice skating like her. She heard her sister huffing and immediately turned her attention to where her sister was staring at. She saw Krystal and Yuri laughing and playfully pushing each other.

“Jealous?” she asked with the intention of pissing off the girl beside her more.

“A bunch of hyenas on ice.”

The blonde girl suddenly smirked and thought of “helping” her sister. She went behind Tiffany and roughly pushed her causing her to fall.

“Jessie, what the hell?” she exclaimed as she rubbed her bum.

“Trust me. I’m actually helping you.” She quickly made her way to her girlfriend and held Taeyeon’s hand.

“Sica, did you just…push Fany?”

“Yes and now there’s Yul to the rescue. Let’s leave the lovebirds alone.”


---


“Clumsy Fany.” Yuri held out her hand for Tiffany to hold onto only to get it swat away by the fuming girl. “Green really looks good on you.”

Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows and looked down. “I’m wearing a pink shirt, stupid.” When she looked up again and saw the amused grin on Yuri’s face, she finally understood what she meant. “Whatever. Go back to your little admirer. I’m fine being invited to go ice skating and ending up skating alone.”

“No. I’d rather stay with you.”

“Oh yeah?” Tiffany finally stood up and was now face to face with Yuri. “You’d rather stay with me? Really? Oh so that’s why you didn’t even bother going after me and you decided to just continue your little chat with Krystal over there. I see. Forgive me for not knowing what your ‘I’d rather stay with you’ actually meant.”

“Is everything alright?” asked Krystal once she got to where Yuri and Tiffany were.

Tiffany put on her best smile and tried to mask her hatred for the other girl, although it actually yielded the opposite, “Everything is just peachy, Krystal.”

“Good to know, Tiffany.”

The fear of being in between the two when a cat fight breaks out urged Yuri to pull one of them away from the other so she held Tiffany’s hand and said, “Everything’s perfect. I’ll just stick with Fany for now. I wouldn’t want this beautiful yet oh-so-clumsy girl to get a scratch on her porcelain-like skin.” She started pulling her away from Krystal before she could resist and the latter could only stare at their retreating figures.

“I’m not clumsy. I’ll have you know that my evil step sister pushed me.”

“Okay, Cinderella.” Yuri grinned and tightened her hold on Tiffany’s hand which the shorter girl secretly enjoyed.

Yuri noticed Tiffany trying to hide her smile and thought of a way to cheer her up even more. She stopped in front of her, her back facing the shorter girl, placing both Tiffany’s hand on her waist as she went to where their other friends were. “Conga line on ice!”

As expected the crazier ones namely Hyoyeon, Yoona, Sooyoung and Taeyeon were the first ones to join. They were then followed by the others and even Krystal, Sulli and their friends joined them.

“Yuri, you idiot! We look silly!” Tiffany said as she laughed and tightened her grip on Yuri’s waist.

“Oh, admit it. You’re enjoying this!”

“That and Hyo is sort of tickling me.” It wasn’t long before she broke the line and got as far away to Hyoyeon as possible. She went to the other side of the rink and Yuri followed her.

“That was fun. Other people were starting to join.”

“Weirdo.” She stared at Hyoyeon, Yoona, Sooyoung and Taeyeon who formed a conga line of their own. The four of them tried to pull Jessica with them but decided to give up when Jessica glared at them and threatened to make them walk home. “You should just join those four idiots if you enjoyed it that much.”

“And have you saying that my definition of ‘I’d rather stay with you’ is messed up? No can do, ma’am.” Yuri checked Tiffany’s reaction and has finally convinced herself that a ticked off Tiffany is a cute Tiffany. “If I’m gonna join them you’re going to have to come with me.”

“No way. You have to kill me first.”

Yuri held her hand once again. “We’ll just have to go ice skating then.”

Tiffany could only hide the smile forming on her face when she felt Yuri holding her hand tighter. It was short lived when Yuri let go and started clapping her hands.

“Sweet mother of god, did you see that? Oh my god!”

“See what?” She looked back and she could’ve sworn she saw Krystal’s smirk directed at her before the girl glided backward. She then jumped a full revolution in the air and landed perfectly on the same foot that she took off with. “Big deal,” she muttered.

It would’ve been fine with her if Yuri got over the fact that Krystal can skate really well but the tanned girl didn’t and that pissed off Tiffany more. “Take a picture. It’ll last longer or better yet, take a video so you can use it to spaz even more once we get home.”

Yuri should’ve just closed and willed herself not to respond…but it’s Yuri we’re talking about. She simply can’t resist egging Tiffany on. “I don’t have my phone with me. Can I borrow yours?”

“That’s it. I’m out. Go stare at Krystal. Go marry her and go have little Kim Yuna babies!”

“Fany, you know I’m just kidding,” Yuri said as she tried stopping Tiffany. It was all in vain as Tiffany roughly pulled away from her grasp.

“Go and have fun with that Krystal!”

“Come on, Fany,” she pleaded. She was forced to turn around when she felt a hand grabbing hers.

“You’re not going to go after her, are you?”

“Krystal, can you let go. I really need to go after her.”

Just like that the girl’s mood turned sour, much like Tiffany’s. “Why? Why her? Why do you have to fall in love with someone that has a history of hurting people? The Tiffany Hwang who can’t seem to be contented with one person that she has to date more than two people at the same time. Why would you want a player like her?”

“How’d you—“

“She dated my cousin. She dumped her when she was finished having fun and when she got fed up. That’s how she is. That’s what she does. Didn’t she break up with that friend of yours so she could get together with you?” She huffed in anger. “She must’ve done that when she realized that dating two girls that both live in the same house as she does is too much.”

A few feet away from them was a tall girl who had her arm linked with her best friend’s, pursing her lips and arching her brows. “She’s talking about me, isn’t she? Geez, I have a name. It’s SOOYOUNG, thank you very much.”

Yuri rolled her eyes at her eavesdropping friends before responding to the girl in front of her. “Don’t you think it’s unfair to judge her by the things she’s done in the past? She’s made a lot of mistakes but it doesn’t mean she’s incapable of changing and being better.”

“She just did it recently with that friend of yours!”

“The name’s SOOYOUNG, goddamn it’s not that hard to remember!”

Yuri sighed. She absolutely detests this feeling. The feeling you get when you refuse to get any sort of pamphlet that some random sales representative is giving you or that feeling you get when you’ve tried a bunch of shoes but end up not buying anything. She doesn’t like rejecting people. She feels gutted every time. “Krystal, even if I’m not in love with her, you and I won’t be together. I only see you as a sister. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to follow her before her stupid self thinks I’m ditching her for you again. I’m really sorry.”

Before Krystal could go after Yuri, her path was blocked by the two girls who were listening in on their conversation. “No can do, Ice Princess.”

“We’re not going to let you get in the way of those two being together. All of us have suffered enough from watching them act like a couple but not being together officially,” Sooyoung said, completely blocking Krystal with her long arms.

“What you’re doing is pathetic. You’re just going to give up like that? You should be angry at them for going behind your back!”

“Whoa, you don’t have to yell and forgive me for not holding grudges. I get to eat whatever I want and that’s enough for me. I can’t hold on to something that’s way out of my reach already.”

“Soo, Hyo!”

The duo took that as their cue to leave Krystal alone. “Bye, Ice Princess. Don’t fret though. You’re too pretty for that.”

“God, Hyo, are you trying to hit on her?”

“I’m not!”

“Choi Sooyoung, Kim Hyoyeon, get your over here right now.”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes and pulled her best friend with her. “She’s so demanding. To think that she didn’t even want our help in the first place.”

With Tiffany taking one of the cars with her, the eight girls were left to ride in a cramped up SUV. Sunny was driving and Taeyeon and Jessica were sitting in the passenger seat while the others were in the back, sitting uncomfortably.

“Why do you have to screw up big time, Yul?”

“Shut up, midget.”

“We were having fun and you had to burst the bubble.”

Yuri who was sitting behind the driver’s seat tried to reach for Taeyeon’s hair causing total chaos inside the car.

“Geez, Taeng. Just shut up and wait ‘til we get home before you say that to Yul.” Jessica stared at Yuri and continued, “Yul, I’m giving you permission to beat her up later when we’re out of this goddamn car.”

Soon as the car stopped in front of their house, they spotted Tiffany walking towards them. Taeyeon, who got out of the car as fast possible with the intention of getting far away from the fuming Yuri, got grabbed by the collar of her shirt.

“Give me your keys. I forgot mine.”

She heard her sister sniggering. “That’s such a fail walk out, Tiff. Remember to bring your keys next time.”

“Shut it!” When she got hold of it, she power-walked her way back to their front door.

“Yah, Fany! Could you please calm down?”

Tiffany roughly pulled away from Yuri’s hold and glared at the latter.

“Jesus, you have an anger management problem. Not to mention your jealousy is making you a bit nuts.” All of their friends could only shake their heads as they witness how Yuri dug her grave deeper. All except one.

“Oh god, Yuri, you’re an idiot.”

That was the last straw for the tanned girl. She walked towards Taeyeon, ready to strangle the life out of the short girl.

“Beating up Taeyeon won’t do you any good, you know?”

“For the first time in my life, I’m proud to say Hyo’s right,” Sooyoung said as she put an arm around her best friend.

She realized that there are more important things she has to deal with and that she could kill Taeyeon later on. She turned around only to see her roommate finally getting in so she ran as fast as she could but failed to get inside and had the door slammed on her face in the process.

“AAAHHH!” she screamed in frustration.

“With the kind of temper the both of you possess, it’s a mystery how you two remain unscathed sharing a room together.”

“What does unscathed mean?” Hyoyeon asked.

“Unharmed.”

“Ooh but wait remember that time she turned into KwonGelina Yuri because Fany threw—“

“I don’t need to be reminded of that!” Yuri exclaimed. “Can’t you just help me because I really need it right now.”

The two girls grinned like Cheshire cats. “Now you’re desperately seeking our hel—“

“Sooyoung!”

“Alright, alright. Geez! Hyo, let’s go help this mofo.” The two went inside to get what they needed and told Yuri to stay outside.

She sat on the front door steps and saw Jessica approaching with Taeyeon who was clinging on her girlfriend for dear life. “What are you guys planning?”

“I’d tell you but I wouldn’t want that midget to know about it.”

Taeyeon scowled.

“Oh come on, you know how Taeyeon could have such a big mouth sometimes and it doesn’t happen all the time.”

With a huff, Yuri explained her plan on serenading Tiffany and asking her to be her girlfriend.

“Where are you planning to do that?”

“I don’t know. Here, I suppose since dumb and dumber told me to stay here.”

Jessica nodded. “Do you want me to go get her?”

“That’d be great but I don’t think she’d go down anytime soon.”

“You did call her nuts so—“ Before Taeyeon could finish what she was going to say, Jessica clamped shut.

“Do you really want to die today?” The girl responded by shaking her head. “Look, if you promise not to kill Taeng then I promise that I will convince my sister to come here.”

Yuri had to weigh the pros and cons, that was how much she wanted to end the shorter girl’s life, but she did end up agreeing.

“I’ll spare the midget’s life…for now.

Jessica tilted her head to the side and glanced at her girlfriend who was slightly shaking in fear. She shrugged. “That’s good enough. Come on, my big mouth of a girlfriend. Let’s make your life span longer.”


---


After a few minutes of coaxing, Tiffany finally gave in and went outside. She opened the door and was greeted by her roommate’s slumped figure.

Yuri stood up and dusted her pants off. “Fany-ah…”

“What do you want? Do you have other nice things you want to say to me?”

“I actually want to—“

“We’re here!” Hyoyeon yelled running past Tiffany, shoving her a bit, and straight to Yuri. “Sorry we took so long. Soo was being an idiot. She misplaced the light sticks I was going to use.”

“Light sticks?” Yuri questioned. She stared at all the things the duo was trying to balance on their hands. There were four pink light sticks, an acoustic guitar carried by Sooyoung, a pink electric guitar strapped to Hyoyeon’s back, a mic stand, a leather jacket and a pink bandana.

She was pulled a few meters away from Tiffany. “Take your shirt off.”

“Excuse me?”

“You need to wear this,” said Hyoyeon, shoving the leather jacket to Yuri.

“Why do I have to take my shirt off when I could just wear this on top of it?”

The shorter one clicked her tongue and shook her head. “This was the only excuse I can think of so I can see what the others were fussing about.”

“What?”

“What the heck are you two doing? Hurry up. Fany does not look happy!”

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon scrambled to get Yuri ready for a performance that could calm Tiffany down or piss her off more. Sooyoung tied the bandana around the tanned girl’s head and ruffled her hair a bit. Hyoyeon handed the guitar to her and she released a grunt, feeling uncomfortable with the leather jacket and all.

“Why do we have to do all of this?”

“Production value,” the duo answered in unison.

She then saw the shorter girl her thumb and bringing the said finger near her face. “Oh my god! What are you trying to d—AAHH! That’s gross!”

“Your eyebrow’s a mess.”

“Hyo, where’s the mic? We can’t have a mic stand and not have a microphone!” Sooyoung bellowed as she tried to tune the acoustic guitar.

“Oh right.”

Yuri watched as Hyoyeon ran back to the house to get the microphone that most likely won’t be even plugged in to anything. She tried to scratch her head only to have Sooyoung swat her hand away.

“Don’t ruin your hair!”

“What’s there to ruin?”

They heard a low growl and saw Tiffany who was ticked off more than ever. Sooyoung laughed nervously and said, “Just a sec, Fany-ah.”

“I’m here. Here’s the mic and look what I made,” she grinned as she showed her “masterpiece”.

Saranghae, Yul-oppa? What in the world are—“

“You’re taking multimedia arts, Hyo and that’s all you can come up with?”

“Hey, I used an empty box of cereal and an eye liner to make this improvised banner, if you must know.”

Her best friend shrugged. “Oh, well I guess it’s not too shabby considering the amount of time it took you to finish it.”

Yuri snapped her fingers to get their attention. “Can we do this now or am I disturbing your trivial chat?”

“You are. You really are but we’ll let it slide.”

Sooyoung walked towards her and cupped her face. “Don’t be nervous. We’ve got your back.” She grinned and started playing. Halfway through the intro, she forgot the chords. In her defence, she didn’t really have enough time to practice.

Hyoyeon was supposed to start screaming her head out because that’s her ‘role’ but seeing as her best friend was messing up, she dropped the improvised banner and light sticks and ran back to the house. When she came back, she was holding the maknae by the wrist.

Sooyoung furrowed her eyebrows. “What is she doing here?”

“She’s going to have our back so we can have Yul’s back because clearly you at playing the guitar.” She grabbed the guitar from Sooyoung and handed it over to Seohyun. “You know what to do, Seobaby.” She picked up the light sticks and gave two to Sooyoung. “I knew you’d mess up.”

“Are you ready, Yuri-unnie? You look good, by the way.”

She smiled at Seohyun and nodded. She took a deep breath and looked up to see Tiffany who was clearly not amused by any of it. She was having second thoughts in doing it now but it disappeared when she saw Sooyoung and Hyoyeon enthusiastically cheering for her. It gave her enough strength to continue although she’s really not comfortable getting called ‘Yul-oppa.’

If these two can make a fool out of themselves to help then I can do the same thing for Tiffany. Hwaiting!

Yuri took a deep breath once again and started to sing.