Chapter 59: Squabble

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

“You’re extremely happy,” Sooyoung stated as she stared at the plate that the tanned girl placed in front of her.

“I love how you could tell so easily,” Yuri replied, sitting across the taller girl.

“Well, even the most stupid person could figure that out.” She pointed at Yuri and said, “Stupid grin on your face. You’re happy cooking breakfast for me. You even played with my food which I really don’t tolerate but since it’s still food I could let it slide, but then it’s Thursday today and I ask for waffles and pancakes not pancakes with a stupid smiley face made up of eggs and a bacon strip.”

“You’re not even going to ask why I’m so happy?”

“If you really want me to then fine, I’ll ask you why you’re so ecstatic that you had the nerve to mess up with my usual breakfast…”

“Well, that’s becau—“

“But remove these things and cook me my usual meal first and then we’ll talk.” She leaned back and smirked at the now frowning girl. “Get going, peasant.”

Despite her right eye twitching with what Sooyoung referred to her as, she took the plate and poked the lone bacon strip on top of the pancake before eating it. She hastily made Sooyoung’s usual breakfast while silently cursing the tall girl for waking up so early. She could’ve shared the great news to other people that lived with them, Jessica perhaps, but it had to be the shikshin.

“So as I was sayi—“

“Uh-uh, let me take a bite first. Geez, Yul!”

Yuri sighed and let her have her first bite. She looked up only to see Sooyoung waving her hand, motioning her to continue.

“As I was saying, I’m happy because I think my relationship with Tiffany is finally getting somewhere.”

“Why?”

Yuri told Sooyoung about what happened last night although she wasn’t sure that the latter was listening. She didn’t get a reply until after the taller girl finished her breakfast.

“She told you she loves you, eh? That’s good.” She brought out her smartphone as she stood up and walked away from the dining table.

“That’s it?” Yuri questioned as she followed her. “Alright, I understand that maybe you haven’t moved on completely and this sort of makes you feel uncomfortable but come on, Soo, you’re the first person I ever told about this. Where are you even going?”

“Outside,” she answered shortly and let Yuri follow her. They both stopped walking and just stood there, at the sidewalk in front of their house.

“What are we doing here?”

Sooyoung totally ignored her query. “It’s nice that you guys could probably start dating now but in other people’s eyes, she’s still dating me.”

Yuri had no idea what Sooyoung was talking about. She had no clue what the latter meant by “in other people’s eyes”. Who in the world are these other people that Sooyoung was talking about was the question in Yuri’s head.

The taller one of the two girls handed her phone to Yuri and started explaining. “See that? That’s Tiffany’s Facebook profile, her timeline, or whatever Zuckerberg and his team want to call it.”

“I know what it is, Soo.”

“Oh, you do and yet you don’t have one?”

“It’s not necessary to make one.”

Sooyoung was appalled. She knew Yuri was technologically challenged but she had no idea that it was this bad. “It’s called a social networking site for a reason. You socialize. Socializing is important which makes it necessary to have an account on one.”

“I can survive without it. Starving kids from Africa don’t need it. They need food.”

“You’re not a starving kid from Africa.”

“That’s not the point.”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes, scrolled down a bit on the page and zoomed it in. “Tell me what you see.”

“Where Tiffany studies and where she’s from.”

“Aish!” She scrolled it down a bit more. “Now, tell me what you see.”

“In a relationship with Choi Sooyoung,” she chuckled and eventually burst out in laughter. “Everyone knows you two have broken up.”

Sooyoung smirked once again and stopped a random person that was passing by. “Hey there, big ears Taec. You’re Tiffany’s friend on Facebook, do you know who her girlfriend is?”

It took a while for the guy to answer. “Sooyeon? Oh wait, no, Sooyoung, Choi Sooyoung. Hey, that’s you. Why would you even as—“

He wasn’t able to finish his sentence since Sooyoung has already shoved him away. “See what I mean?”

“What are you two idiots yapping about?”

The two girls turned around and saw Hyoyeon walking towards them.

“I’m pointing out a very important issue to this technologically challenged girl right here.”

“You’re telling her to make a Facebook account?” Yuri looked at her in surprise. “What? You’re the only person I know without a Facebook account so don’t look at me like I’m the weird one.”

“Tiffany has finally told her she loved her back.”

“You’re being bitter about it?”

“She is.”

“Am not. I was just telling her that if she continues living like a person who doesn’t know what a computer is, she and Tiffany won’t be an official couple in the eyes of Tiffany’s Facebook friends.”

“I really don’t see how that’s important.”

Hyoyeon wagged her finger and said, “It is important. It’s the ultimate definition of a college relationship - when on one's facebook profile it says ‘In A Relationship’ and your significant other's name.”

Sooyoung wanted to clap right then and there to congratulate her best friend for quoting the urban dictionary.

“You need to be Facebook official,” Sooyoung said as she crossed her arms.

Hyoyeon started singing the ridiculous song about being Facebook official.

“That’s stupid. We’re not even together yet and y—“

“We could do something about that,” Sooyoung interjected.

“What do you mean by ‘we’?”

“Do you want me to give you the definition of ‘we’ or…I have no idea what you don’t understand, Yul.”

“Oh my god! Soo’s right. We could totally help you. You should serenade her. I mean, sure Soo has done that but you could still do it. There’s no rule saying that you can’t, right? You should totally ask her out by singing ‘Facebook Official’. It would surely melt her heart.” She started singing again.

“No and stop singing that song. Stop winking and looking like you’re having an epileptic attack. I appreciate your ideas but no.”

“At least ask her out already!” Sooyoung said and held on Yuri’s shoulder to shake her. “It’s agonizing to watch you two acting like a couple and knowing that you aren’t! What do you guys think of yourselves? A bunch of high school students?”

Hyoyeon nodded. “She’s right. The ex is telling you to ask her out already. Let us help.”

“Your idea of ‘help’ is not usual and to be perfectly honest, it’s quite…bothersome.”

The two best friends looked at Yuri and then at each other. “I don’t know about you, Hyo but I only heard ‘Yes’.”

“I heard the same thing.”

They did a high-five and Yuri could only look up at one of the rooms. “You really need to start waking up early, Sica.”

“I’ll be helping Yuri on making her Facebook account and you should practice a song with her.”

“Why me?”

“I can’t play any instrument, Soo.”

The taller girl chuckled. “Oh right, I’m the musical genius.”


---


While the three other girls were outside discussing about how to woo the already wooed eye-smile queen, the said girl entered her sister’s room, the one that she shares with two other girls.

Two girls were under the blanket. She wasn’t sure which one’s her sister so she had no choice but to follow her instinct. She poked one assuming that she was poking their head.

“My .”

Her instinct wasn’t very reliable during mornings. Taeyeon stuck her head out which was weirdly enough on the other end of the bed.

“Did you sleep like that?”

“I like hugging Sica’s feet.”

Tiffany shrugged and walked over to the other side of the bed. “Jessie, wake up.”

“Nooooo~ What are you doing? I want to hug her—“

“Her feet more? Do it some other time. Jessie, wake up right now!” Jessica stretched her arms and her legs, accidentally kicking Taeyeon’s face.

“Aww! Such a lovely sight. My sister kicking her girlfriend in the face.”

Jessica bolted up and stared at the other girl rubbing her chin. “I’m sorry, Taengoo.” She pulled her into a tight hug and kissed her ear.

“Oh, wow! I did not need to see that.”

“I’ve seen you do more things to your past girlfriends, Tiff so hush.” She continued pacifying her whining girlfriend.

“Your girlfriend is such a big baby.” She huffed and sat beside them. “So I’ve finally told Yuri that I love her.”

“It takes one baby Jung for you to finally say it to her?” Taeyeon asked amused at how jealous her future sister-in-law could get. She hugged her girlfriend tighter but pulled away when the latter pinched her forearm. “Ow! What was that for?”

“Who are you calling baby Jung?”

“Krystal. That’s what people call her. God, jealous freaks!” She stood up and went inside their bathroom.

“So that’s it? Do you want me to give you a pat on the back for finally saying it?” Jessica asked once Taeyeon was out of sight.

“It just makes me feel better telling you stuff. You should pretend to be happy.”

Jessica waved her hands and imitated her sister, smiling and squealing like a fifteen-year old girl. “I’m so happy for you,” she said in a high pitched voice. “Is that good enough?”

“Better than the poker face but creepy and that is not how I talk,” she stood up and left.

The blonde girl also stood up and knocked on the door of their bathroom. “Taengoo, what are you doing in there?”

The door suddenly opened with a fuming girl on the other side.

“Look,” she showed her forearm to Jessica, “this is going to bruise!”

“It’s your fault. I’m your only baby Jung, not Krystal or any other Jung.”

“Must you be so violent?”

“Yes.” When she saw Taeyeon pouting and rubbing the spot she pinched furiously, she pulled her in for a hug. “Can I be violent and make up for it by hugging and kissing my Taengoo?”

“That’s a good deal.”

“Taeyeon-unnie, Sica-unnie…I need to poop so can you please get out of the way?”

Jessica turned around and saw the younger girl clutching her tummy. “Poop away. I can’t believe I had a crush on you.”

“Every person in this world poops.”

“I thought rooming with a pretty girl would be nice. Thanks for proving me wrong, Yoong.”

The door was slammed on Taeyeon’s face.


---


Hyoyeon, Yuri and Sooyoung were sitting on one side of the soccer field as they busy themselves preparing for Yuri’s ‘heartfelt confession’.

“You’re not singing it properly,” Sooyoung pointed out.

“She needs to know how sincere you are. It’s probably a good idea to, you know, shed a tear or two,” Hyoyeon added.

“That’s just too dramatic. It’s not like I’m telling her that I’m going to die tomorrow so I’m confessing to her.” She pointed at Sooyoung and said, “She’s not even playing it correctly. Are you sure you know how to play the guitar?”

“How dare you question the musical genius that is Choi Sooyoung? Didn’t you see us both serenading Fany before?” Hyoyeon asked.

“Just give me time to learn the chords. You are so demanding!”

“You two volunteered to help, no wait, you two forced me to do this!”

“I don’t think we’re being appreciated, Hyo.”

“Ugh! You are such a drama queen. Just start playing it!”

“Stop being such a tone-deaf mofo!”

They stopped their bickering when they heard someone clearing their throat. “Sorry for disturbing your little squabble but I was wondering if I can talk to Yuri.”

Hyoyeon brought out a pen and paper out and started scribbling the word ‘squabble’. Making a mental note to look it up later and use it multiple times to remember the word.

“Sure,” Yuri answered, motioning the two other girls to move away. The two stayed within earshot though.

Krystal didn’t pay attention to the eavesdroppers and went straight to the point. “We’re going ice skating this weekend and I thought of inviting you. Sulli and the others agreed as well.”

Sooyoung and Hyoyeon immediately went beside her and whispered, sort of. “Don’t go, Yul.”

“I can hear you,” Krystal remarked.

Hyoyeon tried to whisper again. “Don’t go, Yuri-ah.”

“There’s really no point in repeating it because I’ve already heard it the first time and I still heard it the second time,” said Krystal, furrowing her eyebrows.

“Pretty and not deaf.”

Yuri glared at her friends and pulled Krystal away from the two leaving the best friends wondering what they were talking about.

Sooyoung sat down and started learning the chords once again. The shorter girl sat beside her and asked, with a surprisingly serious tone, “Are you sure you’re fine with this?”

“With listening to that tone-deaf girl singing her heart out? I can deal with it.”

“What about that tone-deaf girl serenading your ex-girlfriend and you playing a part in it?”

“I don’t mind.”

Hyoyeon nodded. “Let’s make a pact.”

“Another one? We have tons of that already. Like the one we made when we were in sixth grade. We agreed on pointing out each other’s stupidity when it’s necessary or that other one we made in our freshman year in high school. You’ll name your kid Jessie and I’ll name mine James and make them memorize the Team Rocket’s motto so they could recite it in front of everyone.”

“Didn’t we change that to naming them Goten and Trunks and then teaching them to do them the art of the fusion technique?”

“Oh yeah…we did.”

Hyoyeon shrugged and went back to her previous point. “We should make another one. A marriage pact.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want you to end up being a spinster.”

Sooyoung raised a brow and asked, “How sure are you that you’re not the one who’s going to be a spinster?”

Hyoyeon snorted. “Don’t kid yourself. I’m hot and people know that. I’m simply irresistible.”

“I’m going to ignore your arrogance and agree on that pact just so I could laugh at you when I get married and you remain an old maid.”

“Alright then. If you and I are still both single when we turn thirty then we’ll go ahead and marry each other.”

“Shake on it, Kim Hyoyeon.”

Yuri came back and took her previous place beside Sooyoung. “We’re going to go ice skating on Saturday.”

“We?”

Yuri told them about her small condition on going with Krystal and her friends. “I thought it’s a brilliant idea to show Tiffany that I only have my eyes on her and not Krystal or anyone else so I told Krystal that I’ll be bringing my friends along.”

“Well, you’re—“

“I’m smart, I know.”

“A thick-faced, tone-deaf mofo.”

“You took the words right out of my mouth. We sure are best friends, Hyo.” Sooyoung high-fived her and Yuri could only glare at the two girls that are teaming up to bring immense stress in her life.

“Wait, Soo can’t skate though.”

“Yes, I can. Fany taught me.”

“She did?” asked Yuri, surprised that there are things she still didn’t know about her roommate. “She can skate?”

“Yup.”

“I’m surprised. She can’t even ride the bike.”

Sooyoung chuckled. “I know,right?”

“The three of you have such a weird relationship. Soo’s the ex and sort of Yuri’s best friend, yes I’m letting you borrow her as a best friend for a while. Yuri’s Tiffany’s future girlfriend who’s going to confess and…AHH! You’ll have a complicated relationship.”

“It’s only complicated for you because you’re kind of an idiot, Hyo.” The remark earned her a slap on the forehead. “YAH! We had a pact on pointing out each other’s stupidity. I just mentioned that earlier!”

Hyoyeon just stuck her tongue out and ran away as fast as she could, ignoring the fact that Sooyoung doesn’t even run that fast.


---


“I don’t want to go ice skating with Krystal and her friends,” Tiffany said.

“We’ll be going with the others. I’ve already asked them and they agreed on going. They said it’d be fun.” Yuri, who was lying comfortably on Tiffany’s bed, sat up and moved closer to Tiffany.

“It won’t be fun if Krystal’s there.”

“I’ll be there. Wouldn’t that be fun?” She placed her chin on top of Tiffany’s knees and grinned.

Tiffany pushed her face away and continued to frown. “You’ll be there but you’ll be on Krystal’s side the whole time. That or she’d stick to you like glue. Super glue and you know how a super glue works, it gets on your skin and your skin is ruined. Your dark skin would be ruined, Yul, ruined I tell you!”

“If that’s the case then I wouldn’t mind having you sticking to me like super glue.”

Tiffany didn’t have anything to say so she supressed a smile and hit Yuri’s arm lightly. “Stop doing that.”

“Doing what?”

“Making me tongue-tied. I’m starting to think you’re lying about your past relationships.”

“What would I lie about when I haven’t had any past relationships?”

“So you were just born that way? You’re just a natural charmer?”

Yuri grinned. “You could say that.”

“Yul-unnie, Tiffany-unnie, stop being gross or be gross after I leave.”

Tiffany looked at the girl sitting on Yuri’s bed. “How are we gross when you act the same way with Seohyun?”

“I’ve heard things about you, Yoong and they go beyond being gross. Sica and Taeng have told me about your fart. For some reason, they thought I’d find it amusing.”

“That’s not gross. Everyone does it.”

“Why are you here, Yoong?”

“I’m here to ask Fany-unnie for help on this stupid assignment about computers.”

“You should’ve asked Soo instead.”

“That’s unfair, unnie. You can’t monopolize Fany-unnie.”

The door to their room was opened with a loud bang and all the girls inside the room stared at the girl who slammed it open. “Stop your squabbling, for crying out loud. I am so sick and tired of your little squabbles! Squabble here, squabble there! Why can’t you guys just shut up for a moment instead of squabbling! Squabble, squabble, squabble!”

“What’s wrong with you?” Tiffany asked tilting her head to the side.

“Hyoyeon-unnie learned the word ‘squabble’ today and she saw an opportunity to use it,” said Seohyun who suddenly popped up behind Hyoyeon. “Hyoyeon-unnie, Sooyoung-unnie told me that you’re being an idiot right now.”

“I’m not. I bet she doesn’t know what squabble means.”

“I’m sorry. I forgot to put a leash on her tonight,” Sunny said, appearing beside Hyoyeon.

“Are you trying to start a squabble with me, Sunny-ah?”

“God! Who taught her that word?” Tiffany asked as Hyoyeon continued to use the word on every sentence.

“She heard it from baby Jung,” Yuri answered.

“Yah!” The fuming girl gave her roommate a shove. “Who are you calling baby Jung?”

 

“See that? They’re starting another squabble!”