Chapter 4: Pasta and Chocolate Fondue

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

“What the is wrong with this room? This wasn’t what I saw on the school’s website.”

She examined the room and all she saw was pink. Curtains, bed covers… basically, every cloth that you could see in the room was pink. Now, don’t get her wrong, she doesn’t hate the colour but when all she sees is HOT PINK, it’s a whole different story.

“Everything’s pink and here I am thinking that the school’s official colour was red.”

“Hey,” Tiffany greeted her, armed with her amazing eye smile.

“Hi. Do you know why this room is… covered with this hideous colour?” Yuri asked with a disgusted look on her face.

“Excuse me? Sorry but did you just say ‘hideous colour’?”

Yuri nodded and the girl’s stare turned into a stare almost similar to her step sister. Yuri didn’t think too much about the girl’s glare and said, “I think pink is just the gay version of the colour red,” she noticed a couple of six-pack beers lying on the bed side table between the two beds. She pointed at it, “What kind of person brings beers inside the school grounds? I think whoever my roommate is she’s probably a delinquent for bringing such things. I wonder how she got accepted in this university.”

It was the last straw for the eye smile queen, “YAH! YOU POMPOUS ! WHAT’S WRONG WITH HAVING A DRINK OR TWO? YOU PINK HATER! WHAT’S YOUR BLOOD TYPE?! WHAT’S YOUR BLOOD TYPE??!!!” she reiterated.

Yuri was appalled and so she did her own yelling spree, “WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME!!? WHAT THE HECK DOES MY BLOOD TYPE HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?!”

The other girls came pouring in when they heard the two shouting from the room across 17A. They saw the shorter girl approaching the taller one. By reflex, Sooyoung held tight on Tiffany’s forearm, she’s used to mediating arguments because of her best friend, Hyoyeon. Hyoyeon would always end up in a verbal fight because of her.

“What’s going on here? Who is she and why were you shouting?” Sooyoung asked.

“This…this jigaboo just insulted me!” Tiffany said, looking away. She didn’t want to lay eyes upon the pink hater.

Eight pairs of eyes looked at her weirdly. Taeyeon sniggered afterwards and Jessica, for the nth time, got irritated by the little girl again, “What’s so funny this time?”

“Jigaboo,” she said while laughing and pointing at Tiffany.

Tiffany’s mood made a hundred and eighty degree turn and she started giggling like a hippy, “I know, right? I heard that in this movie, ‘White Chicks’, I couldn’t help but laugh.”

“You have bipolar disorder or something?”

“Tiff, you’re bipolar.”

Yuri and Jessica said at the same time. They looked at each other and said ‘jinx’ at the same time. The two ended up laughing.

“Whoa…looks like I’ll be living with weird, bipolar kids with a very short attention span,” Sunny mumbled. She thought it was inaudible but apparently everyone heard her and glared at her. She laughed nervously hoping that they’d all end up laughing but the others didn’t follow suit. She cleared and said, “So what did she say to you, Tiffany?”

Sunny’s distraction worked and now all the people in the room were turned to the two bickering girls.

Yuri spoke up, “She started it! She called me a pompous !”

“I started it? You started it by insulting my favourite colour and calling me a delinquent! You are so~ judgmental,” she scoffed.

“Tiff, don’t be rude,” Jessica exclaimed, half mocking Tiffany, the other half? Well, she just wanted some peace and quiet. She received a glare from her sister but continued, “Hi. I’m Jung Jessica. That’s my step sister, Hwang Tiffany. You must be her roommate. On behalf of my sister, I apologize about your room being pink. Feel free to change the bed covers and curtains,” she smiled to the stranger in front of her. She kinda looks like my Yoong. But my Yoong’s a little prettier.

She smiled to herself. Yes, she now ‘owns’ Yoona. She’s quite possessive, huh?

“I’m Kwon Yuri. Thanks and yes, i will do that.”

“Ugh! Jessie, what the hell? Some sister you are,” she pouted.

The others introduced themselves and Tiffany and Yuri continued to ignore each other. Tiffany talked to Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Sunny and Taeyeon while Yuri had a conversation with Yoona, Jessica and Seohyun. It was another round of trivial chat.

First day in their house and they’re already divided into two groups. Well, not really, the other seven girls just didn’t want any more shouting.


---


It was already time for dinner and the two chefs-in-the-making, Yuri and Taeyeon decided to whip up a dish for everyone. Taeyeon made a Chicken Alfredo Pasta and Yuri decided to make a chocolate fondue, they agreed to use it as a dip for the strawberries in their fridge.

Tiffany loves sweets. Dessert is her favourite part of the meal so this was a real torture for her. She was still mad at her roommate and she vowed to herself that she will never eat, smell or even look at any dish made by the taller girl. She pouted when she found out that Yuri was in charge of making the dessert. She pouted even more when she saw the chocolate fondue. Psh that’s all she could do? I bet I can make that if I had the time. But damn it! it looks so~ good! Damn you for being so arrogant earlier!

On the other side of the table, away from where Taeyeon was sitting, Jessica was sulking and started devouring the dessert. Like her stubborn and full of pride step sister, she refused to eat the pasta that Taeyeon made. She wanted to stay true to her word, if she said that she’s not going to put anything in that Taeyeon made, she’s not going to put it in . It’s amazing how the two step sisters had the same level of pride.

Taeyeon knew why Jessica didn’t want to eat the dish she made, same goes for Yuri. She knew why Tiffany didn’t even look at -watering chocolate fondue. Yuri just scoffs while Taeyeon pretended not to notice but on the inside, she really hoped Jessica would at least try it.

They finished eating and played rock, paper, scissors to determine who’s going to clean up. Seohyun and Yoona lost and proceeded on washing the dirty dishes. Jessica insisted on staying in the kitchen to watch the interaction between the two and Sunny did the same thing, she was being overprotective of her ‘baby cousin’.

The rest moved to the living room to watch a movie while Yuri went upstairs to do her own “redecorating”.

“Taeyeon-ah,” Tiffany called on the girl who looked like she was solving some math problems while looking at the kitchen’s shutter doors, “What’s wrong with you?”

The shorter girl looked at her and pouted, “Why does your sister hate me so much?”

“That’s not true, she’s just normally like that when it comes to the people she met for the first time.”

“Oh yeah? What about the way she acted towards Yoona? She seems comfortable around that ridiculously good looking kid.”

Tiffany chuckled, “Really, you call her ‘kid’? Sure she’s younger than you but you look more like a kid, even your height belongs to a kid,” she teased, it’s as if the poor little girl isn’t sad enough to know that Jessica doesn’t like her and now, the latter’s step sister is making her feel worse by telling her that she looks like a kid. “And to answer that silly question of yours, I guess she just likes Yoona. I think my sister has a little crush on her.”

“Oh. Thanks that made me feel better,” she mumbled sarcastically.

“Cheer up. My sister will like you, too. Give her time. Maybe two to three—“

“Days?”

“I was thinking more of… years. But hey look at the bright side; at least you’re roommates with Yoona, too. I bet she could prevent my sister from killing you in your sleep. Anyways, I’ll be going in my room now. Say, Taeyeon…do you think you could switch rooms with that pink hater?”

“No,” she immediately answered. Even if Jessica doesn’t like her, she wouldn’t give up her room. It’s a chance to hopefully be close to the snobby Barbie.

Tiffany pouted and went upstairs.
 


---
 


After Tiffany left, she went inside the kitchen to drink water and to see Jessica. She filled the glass with water and put ice in it. She was hoping to get a brain freeze to stop her brain from thinking too much about the blonde. She sat down beside Jessica. The latter looked at her, confusion written all over face.

She froze and her body went numb. Jessica furrowed her eyebrows and decided to flick the girl on her forehead. Wrong move.

Taeyeon flinched and accidentally tipped the glass and poured some ice cold water onto Jessica. The girl squealed and it caught the attention of everyone in the kitchen. Taeyeon didn’t know what to do and her brain went overdrive. “I am so sorry. It was kinda your fault though, you flicked my forehead and…and I’m sorry,” she continuously bowed.

Yoona approached the blonde who was fuming in anger, “You should go and change your clothes. Come on,” she said with a charming smile that calmed the blonde immediately.

I’m an idiot. Jessica, I’m sorry.


---



Room 17A.

Yuri was tidying up and putting her clothes inside the closet when Tiffany entered the room. She saw that on Yuri’s side of the room, almost everything is either blue or green.

Tiffany gathered her clothes, towel and toiletries and went inside the bathroom.

I don’t care what you might think about me. You get by without me if you want,” she sang while she looked at herself in the mirror. She purposely opened the door wide enough for the other girl to see her while she sang.

Yuri looked at the direction of the voice and saw the girl. She couldn’t and she wouldn’t deny the fact that the girl has a nice and husky voice that’s unbelievably soothing to listen to. She looked away and pretended she wasn’t hearing her.

Tiffany continued to sing, “Well, baby look at me go. From zero to hero. You better take it from a geek like me. Well, I can save you from an original dumb-dumbs,” as she said the last word she looked at Yuri and deliberately increased the volume of her voice.

Don’t judge it by the colour confuse it for another. You might regret what you let slip away like the geek in the pink. So I’m the geek, yo, in the pink, yo. Geek is the colour for fall. I’m the geek in the pink,” she slammed the door when she finished singing the song. It made Yuri jolt up and look at the now closed door.

She shook her head and mumbled, “You are a geek in the pink, indeed.”