Chapter 41: De Vil

chocolate CHIP COOKie

 

Yuri and her family have already arrived in Jeju when she received Tiffany’s message. They were in the hotel lobby when she got it. She took a photo of her sleepy looking self and sent it to Tiffany along with the message: Good morning. I see no difference between Camsur and CamSur. Haha:))

She smiled. She was such in a bad mood earlier since they had to wake up early and she was still sleepy but a simple text from Tiffany has lifted her mood up.

Her gaze fell on her brother who was cradling the sleeping Minhyuk. He was sniggering and it irked Yuri.

“What is it this time? Could you stop doing that? Seriously. You’re creeping me out and you’re annoying as hell.”

“I’ve never seen you like that and I have to say, it’s quite funny seeing you so in love~”

“I am not…stop staring at me!”

“Had I known that you’d look that cute when you’re in love, Yuri-ah, I would’ve looked for a person that’s just like Ti—“

“It’s not gonna work. No matter how similar she is to Tiffany, I won’t fall for her. I love Tiffany Hwang, my roommate, Jessica Jung’s stepsister, Kim Taeyeon’s future sister-in-law…if Mr. Jung would let her daughter marry the midget and—“

“Sooyoung’s girlfriend,” said Hyuk-joon. He was teasing Yuri but when he saw Yuri’s expression changed, he somewhat felt sorry.

Yuri looked down and nodded. “Yeah, Choi Sooyoung’s girlfriend.”

Hyuk-joon was just like his little sister. Both of them are quite inexpressive and won’t usually apologize even if they are sorry.

He hit Yuri in the back which made the latter yelp. If he did that to Nichkhun or his other guy friends, they wouldn’t have had reacted but he kind of forgot that Yuri’s a girl. You can’t really blame him though. Yuri has always acted like a guy in front of him. When they were kids, he refused to be called ‘oppa’ by Yuri and always insisted on being called ‘hyung’ by her sister.

He received a death glare from Yuri so he backed away a little and smiled. “It’s not like those two are married. Even married people are separable. Right? You still have a chance. If you want, I’ll help you get her. We’ll think of ways to brea—”

“You’re stupid.” She saw their dad walking towards them with their key card and she immediately grabbed one. She walked away leaving her brother to deal with their very upset father. She wouldn’t have the heart to break those two up. Sooyoung’s a good friend and Tiffany’s happy with her. She loves her. They love each other.

“What did you say to her again?” he asked.

“I might’ve said some stupid things but I’m sure she’ll get over it.”

Yuri’s dad could only shake her head at his son’s stupid behaviour.

Meanwhile, Yuri was already in her room, sprawled on the bed and staring at the ceiling. Her phone rang. She grabbed it and answered the call without looking at the caller id.

“Krystal?” she answered, thinking that it was the girl she had a short conversation on the phone with last night.

“I’m not Krystal. This is Taeng,” said the person on the other line.

“Oh, Taeng, what is it?”

She heard someone laughing and she assumed that it was the short stuff. No, she knows it was the midget judging from the laugh that sounded like someone’s going to die.

“So you’ve been talking to Krystal, huh? Were you waiting for her to call you? I’m sorry to disappoint you then, Yul.”

“I’m not waiting for her to call me. It’s just that I thought she was calling me again because…why am I even explaining things to you. What do you want?”

“Sica said that you and your family are staying in the same hotel here in Jeju so she told me to invite you for brunch. We’re actually here now and her family’s here, too.”

“Okay. I’ll just ask my dad if I could go there.” She didn’t wait for Taeyeon’s reply and went to her dad’s room to ask for permission.

Her dad said she could go but she was held up for a few more minutes when her dad started talking to her about some stuff. When he was finished, Yuri dashed off to where Jessica and Taeyeon were.


---


Jessica, Taeyeon and the two adults were inside a lavish restaurant, waiting for Yuri to arrive. Jessica was looking at her nails idly while Taeyeon was looking at the blonde girl’s nails like it’s the most interesting thing on Earth. It was just an excuse to hold her girlfriend’s hand.

Jessica’s dad was staring at the two of them wondering what’s so interesting about his daughter’s nails. Sure it has nail art but a second of your time is enough to look at it and appreciate it.

He thought about the events yesterday and this morning and smiled. He really likes Taeyeon for Jessica. The way Taeyeon treats his daughter is how he imagined his daughter to be treated; respected and loved.

How Taeyeon would follow Jessica and make sure that not even mosquitoes would be able to harm her. How she speaks with her and how she listens when the blonde is talking. All the little things that he did for his wife, Jessica’s mother, when she was still alive and all those things that he does now for his second wife, Taeyeon does all those things for Jessica so he definitely has no reasons to not like the little kid. He likes to make fun of her, too.

“Yuri is the tall, tanned one, right? The one with the long neck?” Jessica nodded. “I like that kid. She looks nice and she looks like she could protect you from harm, Jessica. Unlike Kim, she looks like a kid that would get bullied by pre-schoolers.”

Taeyeon’s shoulders dropped and her head hung low.

“Dad,” she whined. “That’s not very nice.” She turned to Taeyeon and cupped her face to force the girl to look at her. “Hey, I don’t care about what my dad thinks right now and I don’t care that he’s hearing what I’m saying. In fact, I think he should be listening to it ATTENTIVELY. I love you, Taengoo. So what if you look like a kid? We could hire body guards to protect us both and nowadays, it’s normal to bring a taser with you. I bet pre-schoolers bring one with them at school, too.”

Mrs. Jung smiled and hit her husband’s back, “Say sorry to Taengoo~ now.” She was laughing inwardly at Taeyeon’s nickname.

“Fine, fine. I didn’t really mean what I said and I was just making fun of you. It’s tough living with three girls, you know. They gang up on you and they bully you. The only time I could see a terrified face is when I’m at school, teaching. So it was good to know that I could scare you.”

Taeyeon looked up and stared at him. “I think I’m traumatized, sir.”

“That’s not so bad. Better to be traumatized than to suffer a heart attack and die on the spot.” He laughed heartily but that laugh soon turned to a dry one when no one laughed with him. He kept mum and looked at his wife with pleading eyes, telling her to break the awkward silence.

“I like Yuri,” she said.

“Mom! Not you, too!”

The woman chuckled, “What? I said I like her but I didn’t say i like her for you. I actually like her for Tiffany. If she wasn’t dating Sooyoung, who was, by the way, really nice and well-mannered but she eats a lot, I would want her to date Yuri.” She remembered the first time her daughter introduced her to Sooyoung and told her that they were going out.

They went out to have dinner together and she saw how nice Sooyoung was. No wonder her daughter introduced the girl to her formally. She knows that her daughter isn’t much of a faithful girlfriend but it was different for Sooyoung.

But there were instances that she’d stop eating and just sit there and imagined what it’d be like if Yuri was the one eating dinner with them.

When they met at Jessica’s birthday party held at the Kim’s residence, she had this instant connection with her and the girl seemed comfortable talking to her. She woke up from her reverie when she heard the two girls giggling. “Why?”

“Well, you see, Yuri— I’m not sure if I should say this,” said Jessica.

“Yuri might get mad if you do.”

Mrs. Jung looked at the two and said, “Girls, what is it? You know I don’t like being left in the dark.”

“Okay but promise me that you won’t tell anyone mom especially Tiffany.” The woman nodded. “Yuri’s in love with Tiff.”

The woman in front of them wanted to fake a shocked expression but failed. “I knew it. She has that look of love whenever she looks at my daughter. Aigoo! How could Tiffany not see that?”

“Look?”

“Of?”

“Love?”

The three questioned.

“Yes, you know, it’s how you look at me, Ryan. It’s how Taeyeon and Jessica looked at each other earlier when Jessica was being mushy. You should do that more often, Jessie. It’s how a person stares at someone they love. It’s like they don’t see other things and they only see the person they love. That person looks like they have this spotlight shining on them.”

Everyone just stared at her.

Jessica was the first one to speak. “Mom, you are definitely Tiff’s biological mother.”

Mrs. Jung was supposed to answer her but stopped herself from speaking when she saw Yuri.

“Good morning. I’m sorry I made everyone wait too long,” she said and bowed politely.

“It’s fine.”

They had their brunch and bid Yuri goodbye since she still has to go to Victoria’s suite to see if the dress that she’ll wear for the wedding fits. She was one of the bridesmaids. When she got there, the room was filled with people who are walking around and talking endlessly. She saw Victoria and she told her to sit at any vacant chair. She was looking around and saw someone familiar.

“Krystal?”

“Yul?”

“What are you doing here?”

“Well, my mom’s a wedding planner and—“

“Your mom’s a wedding planner?”

“I know, right? She’s too old to—“

Yuri chuckled, “No, no, that’s not what I meant. When did you get here?”

“Yesterday.”

The two continued to talk about the wedding and Yuri told her how she knows Victoria. They were interrupted when Yuri received a message from Tiffany.

It is not the same. It’s case sensitive. If you say Camsur then that term wouldn’t have been appropriate as a shortcut for Camarines Sur which is the real name of the place. By the way, we’re sort of stuck here for about two days ‘cause there’s a storm. Yes, it’s not summer here anymore, apparently. Soo and I are going shopping instead. Then, we’re going to eat a bunch of tropical fruits and see if we could enter their casino despite being a minor. And…that’s about it(: oh and Jessie told me that you just ate brunch with them.

She quickly typed a reply. Your message is like a novel. It’s too damn long. So instead of being in a beach, you’re stuck in the city? for you. Yes, your parents were there, too. By the way, Krystal’s here. Small world, right? Her mom’s the wedding planner.


---


She scowled when she read Yuri’s message. Wedding planner my ! She’s probably there to stalk or you something.

“Hey, are you okay?” Sooyoung asked when she noticed Tiffany frowning.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” she answered as she let Sooyoung walk ahead of her by a couple of steps. She then turned her phone off and chucked it inside her purse.

Have fun talking to Cruella De Vil’s descendant then. Stupid Krystal De Vil.

There is no doubt that Tiffany Hwang is a green-eyed monster.